Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Amp for LCD-2?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp for LCD-2?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I've been wondering what's the difference between say a ray samuel's SR71b amp and a Fiio E7?

cuz all an amp does is just provide more juice to the cans right?

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHURE530 View Post

I've been wondering what's the difference between say a ray samuel's SR71b amp and a Fiio E7?

cuz all an amp does is just provide more juice to the cans right?



SR71B is a much higher end product with more refinement and 'juice' than the E7. 

 

SR71B has no in built DAC either.

 

LCD-2 can be driven just about any full sized amp, but ask any LCD2+ Nuforce Icon owner who's

tried a Violectric V200 or Schiit Lyr and they will tell you there is a big difference.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 

i'm no sound engineer. :(

 

what i'm getting at is i've tried my lcd2 with a little dot mk3 amp. yes it does sound good but will the upgrade to the Violectric V200 or a SR71B bring a significant difference in audio quality?

 

and it can't be that hard to drive a headphone right. just give it more electricity. :<

post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 

on a related note, how is alo moon's silver coated copper wire selling at $400... like, it's just a wire right? o.o

post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHURE530 View Post

i'm no sound engineer. :(

 

what i'm getting at is i've tried my lcd2 with a little dot mk3 amp. yes it does sound good but will the upgrade to the Violectric V200 or a SR71B bring a significant difference in audio quality?

 

and it can't be that hard to drive a headphone right. just give it more electricity. :<


 

Cannot speak for the SR71B as I have not heard it ~ but yes the Violectric V200 will supply more current for the LCD-2

over the Mk3 from Little Dot. It is a very powerful headphone amp that manages to retain a very sweet, almost tube

like sound for a solid state amp. Bass and clarity should be superior along with response.

 

Driving headphones 'properly' is what most of us on here are trying to do half the time when we're not listening

to music biggrin.gif

 

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHURE530 View Post

i'm no sound engineer. :(

 

what i'm getting at is i've tried my lcd2 with a little dot mk3 amp. yes it does sound good but will the upgrade to the Violectric V200 or a SR71B bring a significant difference in audio quality?

 

and it can't be that hard to drive a headphone right. just give it more electricity. :<


As far as I'm concerned, "significant" differences are beyond the realm of amps and DACs. The headphones make the significant differences. Amps and DACs either provide a slightly less noisy and distorted signal, or a slightly more noisy and distorted signal, or nothing audible at all.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHURE530 View Post

on a related note, how is alo moon's silver coated copper wire selling at $400... like, it's just a wire right? o.o


Yep, just wire. Very expensive wire.

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Injury View Post


As far as I'm concerned, "significant" differences are beyond the realm of amps and DACs. The headphones make the significant differences. Amps and DACs either provide a slightly less noisy and distorted signal, or a slightly more noisy and distorted signal, or nothing audible at all.

 


 


Unless you have spent time with an extraordinary DAC....I listened to an MSB about a year ago that changed my thinking about what a potential influence this component can have on a system. Crazy expensive, but astonishing none the less.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Amp for LCD-2?