Hey guys:) Wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for headphones that would be best suited to K-Pop? My budget is £150 and i will need some isolation so the headphones need to be closed, these will be for home use only and will be worn for hours at a time so will need to be comfortable also, any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks^^
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/10/11
- productJVC HA-S600tagged by System, 10/10/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/10/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 10/10/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 10/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for $100-$200 Headphones. Last post on 8/21/11 at 5:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable Audio Technica ATH-M50 alternatives? Last post on 8/13/11 at 11:21am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for under 200 Last post on 6/6/11 at 7:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the best headphone for under 200? Last post on 3/8/13 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me choose :) Last post on 12/11/12 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I still have yet to give anything 5 stars. The SR-202, for me, is a solid option for alternatives to the HD700, if you can find them without breaking the bank. I will start with the things I...
Fidue A65 Thanks to tony from hifiheadphones for letting me be part of the UK tour. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Drivers: Custom 8mm dynamic driver with Titanium...
Background When was the last time you used a pair of earbuds? Perhaps you use your Apple Earpods at work to remain inconspicuous, or maybe you are one of the many who have purchased the VE...
About Me: I'm just your average guy making his way through college with a passing interest in audio fidelity. I'm NOT an audiophile, but I've got a little experience ranging from lower-end...
Preamble:Pai Audio (http://www.paiaudio.com/indexEn.asp) is a relatively new audio company and based in Shenzhen, China. Established in 2014, they have specialised in manufacturing in-ears....
Headphones For Korean Poppost #1 of 2510/8/11 at 3:53pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2510/8/11 at 4:17pmpost #3 of 2510/8/11 at 5:21pmpost #4 of 2510/8/11 at 6:06pm
Try n track down a JVC HAS600.. Portable headphone. Very good at isolation, fully circumaural and comfy. sounds great for all genres, portable smaller Hp., Easily driven out of any portable device. Full good clean sound with full on dynamic bass.. And best of all it is cheap.. Sounds fantastic however. You can buy an Amp and this HP for the cost of what you want to spend.post #5 of 2510/9/11 at 7:06amThread Starter
Thanks for the suggestions guys:) Also @Dsnuts, the headphones will be used with a pc only with an amp built in on a soundcard i already have;) Have heard alot of good things about the M50 so will certainly check those out, anymore suggestions would be more than welcome^^post #6 of 2510/9/11 at 9:32amQuote:Originally Posted by coolstorybro
Thanks for the suggestions guys:) Also @Dsnuts, the headphones will be used with a pc only with an amp built in on a soundcard i already have;) Have heard alot of good things about the M50 so will certainly check those out, anymore suggestions would be more than welcome^^
Hmm the M50. A bit overrated, and for pop music I would actually go with Shures. I have both the M50 and Shure SRH440.. The problem with the M50s is that while they don't sound bad they have recessed mids and add to that a very confined small sound stage. Pop has a lot of vocals so you want good to great mids and the Shures certainly do that. They are a lot more smoother and technically balanced for your choice of music with a wider sound stage as well. The Shures for your needs is a better choice. Try n sample them and you will see what I mean. If not I will just say for any type of vocal music the Shures are better.
Edited by Dsnuts - 10/9/11 at 9:37ampost #7 of 2510/9/11 at 10:01amThread Starter
Oh ok, will certainly look into those, K Pop consists of pop/electropop/R&B/hip-hop although i listen to the pop/electropop side of it 95% of the time, do you have any opinions on the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro? I've been recommended those aswell but not sure how well they would suit my situation.post #8 of 2510/9/11 at 10:30am
Unfortunately I don't own the DT770s but from what I have seen on them. Those seem like a good fit for your needs as well..They look comfortable too that is a huge positive. The Shures can use a bit more comfort I suppose.So the Beyers look like it is what you are looking for. The comfort on the Shures aren't terrible but the stock pads on them are stiff. Many change up to the SRH840 pads or just buy the SRH840. The DT770s..If there is a way you can sample them at a music store I would..The Shures as well. One word describe the sound on the Shures. Smooth. Perhaps too much so some might say a bit colored. But in a good way. It seems both the Beyers and the Shures don't have that recessed mids issue. Both have proper bass as well not lacking in that department. The Beyers seem to have a more clinical detailed sound to them which can be a good thing.
I think either one will be better for Kpop than the M50.. The M50 if you bought it you would have discovered how they are great for some music and not others. That is why they are over rated. There are much more better balanced cans out there for the money spent. These 2 that came up are just 2 of many.. The phone on my signature.. the Panasonic HTF600.. Astounding phone that trumps over the M50 for $30. For example.
Look at this thread it will shed some light on the DT770 vs M50 http://www.head-fi.org/t/574707/dt770-vs-m50
Edited by Dsnuts - 10/9/11 at 11:06ampost #9 of 2510/9/11 at 11:54amThread Starter
Thanks:) Leaning more towards the DT770's now, your right, there are alot of choices but i have no places near me where i can demo headphones unfortunately so i have to go off peoples opinions which again can be very subjective... so it's tricky choosing which one, but the DT770's seem like the safest option at this point.post #10 of 2510/9/11 at 1:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by coolstorybro
Thanks:) Leaning more towards the DT770's now, your right, there are alot of choices but i have no places near me where i can demo headphones unfortunately so i have to go off peoples opinions which again can be very subjective... so it's tricky choosing which one, but the DT770's seem like the safest option at this point.
Great for Kpop (closed):
BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro's
Denon D2000's (used price).
Shure SRH840's (and SR440's).
Very best,post #11 of 2510/10/11 at 5:39amThread Starterpost #12 of 2510/14/11 at 1:47pmThread Starter
Alright, so i got the DT770's, and i thought they were....dissapointing, i mean honestly, they sounded no clearer than my Sennheiser HD215's and the bass seemed so overpowered, people will probably call me mad but there ya go:) I did let them burn in for around 70 hours but i still wasn't enjoying them at all, and to be honest unless the burn-in after 100/200 hours on these things is a night and day difference my dissapointment in them won't change so they're going back.
I ordered some M50's right away to see how these fared and boy was i BLOWN AWAY by these right out of the box, i'm finding the bass on these excellent because i find the headphones flesh it out but don't overdo it either like the DT770's.
I've also been testing out some Shure SRH880's (Ordered these from hifiheadphones, cancelled the order next day, got refunded fully, and erm...they got delivered today) and i was impressed with these aswell, they were alot more sharper and crisper than the DT770's, the bass is a little more laid back and i was having a debate whether to keep these or the M50's, but i get more enjoyment listening to music with the M50's so i'm going to keep that instead.
Just my two cents.post #13 of 2510/14/11 at 4:30pm
Does soundstage honestly matter? Korean pop is the most synthetic stuff I've ever heard, and they're either poorly mastered with no spacial representation, or have no natural soundstage. It's akin to someone asking for good soundstage to listen to Lady Gaga's earlier albums. I'm glad the M50 fits the bill for you op.post #14 of 2510/15/11 at 4:54amQuote:
Just out of curiosity, did the store say it's ok to open the packaging and test them out? No offense meant, just that it sounds a bit strange doing that.post #15 of 2510/15/11 at 10:10amThread Starter
They're fine with people testing headphones out and accept returns on orders as long as the item has been kept in good condition, so i don't see why not, i mean i did order it but then cancel it, so it's their own fault for screwing up and sending it still, the fact is most people in my situation would just keep quiet and keep the headphones or sell them on for easy money, i doubt they'll be too unhappy when i let them know of their error and return it in excellent condition;)
- Headphones For Korean Pop
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread 23 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 3 minutes ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 4 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 4 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia impressions and discussion 5 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D problem - Noise during the exchange of track 6 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Aornic
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...