or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser RS220 Availability?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser RS220 Availability? - Page 32

post #466 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al ex View Post
 

My pragmatic solution:after setting up a schedule of disabling the 2.4Ghz signal during later evening hours, I have again perfect wireless HiFi during these hours. During the day, 2.4Ghz is automatically enabled to be available for older 2.4Ghz only devices in our home network.

 

That isn't really feasible for people who really need 2.4ghz wireless on all the time or for people who live in apartment blocks where there are lots of wireless signals floating around. Interesting idea though. Must try it out and see how well it works. For me personally I managed to almost eliminate the problem by using a really small (0.5m) optical cable for the connection that is heavily shielded and changing the channel on the wireless router to 11. Doing only one of those didn't work but doing them together fixed things. Obviously that is also not an idea solution if someone is needs a much larger cable. It's quite annoying sticking the transmitter right next to the computer because of the short cable.

post #467 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b2 View Post
That isn't really feasible for people who really need 2.4ghz wireless on all the time or for people who live in apartment blocks where there are lots of wireless signals floating around.

 

Well, everyone has his own capabilities and therefore requirements...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b2 View Post
For me personally I managed to almost eliminate the problem by using a really small (0.5m) optical cable for the connection that is heavily shielded and changing the channel on the wireless router to 11.

 

That doesn´t work for me, as my flat is about 115m2 and I wanted to position the transmitter strategically in the center of the flat to get a good signal throughout the flat. Unfortunately that place is also the best place for the WiFi-router.

 

Anyway, will play again with the router in the evening. Although it has a DD-WRT firmware with a lot of settings options, I cannot change the channel to 11 - there is only the "auto" option possible. Need to dig into this to see if setting to channel 11 is possible and if it would the Sennheiser issue in my particular case.

 

Or I leave the 2.4Ghz switched off during "music times"... :)

post #468 of 475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al ex View Post

 

That doesn´t work for me, as my flat is about 115m2 and I wanted to position the transmitter strategically in the center of the flat to get a good signal throughout the flat. Unfortunately that place is also the best place for the WiFi-router.

 

Anyway, will play again with the router in the evening. Although it has a DD-WRT firmware with a lot of settings options, I cannot change the channel to 11 - there is only the "auto" option possible. Need to dig into this to see if setting to channel 11 is possible and if it would the Sennheiser issue in my particular case.

 

Yeh that's fair enough. Different solutions for different people though if you needed to move one away the router is the better one to move to a corner somewhere. The RS220 will dropout at a much closer distance than the router. In that size apartment you should still get reception to all parts if it is in one corner of the apartment, especially with the 2.4ghz band. The 5ghz band might not do so well once you move it away from the centre however.

 

IIRC the channel 11 trick was first mentioned on here either in this or another RS220 thread. Seems to work for a lot of people and definitely helped me. Its been a while since I've used DD-WRT but I'm pretty sure the channel was changeable on the version I was using. Might be hidden somwehre in advanced settings or something.

post #469 of 475

I used to have a lot of issues with the wireless signal interruptions on RS-220 and fortunately managed to resolve them over the years.

Initially it helped to replace the included rechargeable NiMH batteries with Sanyo Eneloops.

I have no sound explanation why it improved the drop outs but it reduced them by about one half.

The final solution was to replace the old WiFi access points (Asus, dd-WRT based) with Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless +. There are three around the house and no problem whatsoever. I wonder if it has anything to do with their "coexistence" feature. They can all share the same WiFi channel without interference.

Obviously if you are living in an apartment block with oversubscribed wireless spectrum your choices are limited but indeed too aggressive/old/poorly implemented wireless access point are most likely the reason behind these annoying drop outs.

post #470 of 475

Well, my RS220 died on me.  I always felt like the build quality was cheap, at least by comparison to cans like the HD650.  And the Senn website basically tells me to bug off.  I have to remember this next time I consider dropping $500+ on another newer Senn product.

 

 

 

post #471 of 475

Mine are still going strong. I have two pair and we use them to watch movies and to play music videos. They are truly great sounding cans.

post #472 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoclt View Post

Well, my RS220 died on me.  I always felt like the build quality was cheap, at least by comparison to cans like the HD650.  And the Senn website basically tells me to bug off.  I have to remember this next time I consider dropping $500+ on another newer Senn product.





You should contact Sennheiser on the phone and see if there is anything they can do for you. I've had companies that go out of the way for me to accomodate my needs regarding the product even though technically it didn't qualify under warranty. Explain your concern that a relatively recent product went out to warranty service period so quickly perhaps. Can't guarantee that Senn will do anything but its still worth a try.
Edited by K_19 - 5/18/15 at 7:32am
post #473 of 475

I will call them at some point of course.  I was frustrated over the weekend for this to happen since (i) it's my movie phone too, and (ii) I've been swapping cables and re-purposing an Amperior and a 650 the last few weeks, so I miss that sort of serviceability in the new product(s).

post #474 of 475

Just ordered a pair of RS220 for ludicrously cheap from Sennheiser's outlet, very excited to get them!

 

What is the optimal way of arranging an RS220 setup? I've seen it's got digital and analogue inputs in the basestation. Does an amp sound signature/power output have a significant influence on the audio performance of the headphones, or is that predominantly dictated by the transmitter? This is my first foray into this style of high end wireless cans, so I'm a little clueless about what sort of source components are best suited.

 

Cheers!

post #475 of 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
 

Just ordered a pair of RS220 for ludicrously cheap from Sennheiser's outlet, very excited to get them!

 

What is the optimal way of arranging an RS220 setup? I've seen it's got digital and analogue inputs in the basestation. Does an amp sound signature/power output have a significant influence on the audio performance of the headphones, or is that predominantly dictated by the transmitter? This is my first foray into this style of high end wireless cans, so I'm a little clueless about what sort of source components are best suited.

 

Cheers!

 

Amp doesn't make any difference. The transmitter does all the work for you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser RS220 Availability?