Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser RS220 Availability?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser RS220 Availability? - Page 12

post #166 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by otinkyad View Post

 

You don't need an amp for these -- in fact, as far as I know, you should *not* put amped input into these.

 

 



Does that include even the puny amped signal of an iPod headphone jack?  I wouldn't think that would do any damage.

 

Zerosum0101, the RS220 is self-driving.  In fact, you can't actually amp them.  Any input into the transmitter will ultimately be digitized and transmitted as a non-amped signal.  The amps for these are in the cans themselves, which is why they're battery powered.

post #167 of 457

hey if you have optical out from your computer I don't think a new soundcard is a must, in fact I think you better get the headphones and later look at a soundcard. These headphones are great and you don't have to care about amps which will spare you a bit of trouble
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosum0101 View Post

I asked for advice/help in the "Buying Headphones" forum but only got one response. Thought I'd ask here hoping I'd get more help because I'm thinking of getting the 

RS220's. I'll do an abridged version of what I asked in the other threat I posted in. 

 

I need a new pair of headphones that will only be used with my computer. My preference is to go wireless. I am a super noob with headphones but I really want to get something great. I've read through this thread and it seems like there are some mixed early opinions. I just need to know a few things:

a) are they good for listening all types of genres of music (besides classical)?

b) will they be ok for watching movies?

c) if these are the headphones I should get do I need an amp or a new soundcard? (the soundcard I have came with the motherboard so it's ok) If so are there any recommendations someone could make? 

 

I apologize in advance if I shouldn't have posted this here and if these questions are just stupid but again the main forum to ask this wasn't very helpful and I really need some direction here. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out here. 



 


Edited by mcnoiserdc - 2/6/12 at 12:09pm
post #168 of 457

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiacomoHoldini View Post



Does that include even the puny amped signal of an iPod headphone jack?  I wouldn't think that would do any damage.

 


Good clarification, I don't think the slightly amped signal from an ipod headphone out or laptop headphone out or a TV line or headphone out would do any damage.  What I had in mind was that it's probably safer to avoid output from a dedicated amp (unless it's a line level output or maybe headphone out) because I figure it could cause distortion/overload.

post #169 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by otinkyad View Post

 

As I think everyone knows by now smile.gifI'm having some issues with my RS220.  But to my ears the sound quality is very good.  In response to your questions:

(a) I think they sound good for rock and jazz (the two genres I've listened to with them)

(b) I haven't tried watching movies, but I think one or more others on this thread mentioned having used for TV?

(c) to me they sound substantially better through a USB DAC than through my laptop soundcard.  The DAC I'm using is relatively moderately priced (HRT Music Streamer II, about $150 on amazon).  You don't need an amp for these -- in fact, as far as I know, you should *not* put amped input into these.
 

 


Thank you for the feedback and info. : ) 

 

post #170 of 457

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnoiserdc View Post

hey if you have optical out from your computer I don't think a new soundcard is a must, in fact I think you better get the heaphones and later look at a soundcard. These headphones are great and you don't have be care about amps which will spare you a bit of trouble
 



 


That's good to hear. Honestly I was worried about all the amp stuff. As I said I'm a big noob with this stuff so I'm just starting to read up on amps and everything and it definitely seems like something I'd rather explore if I got a second pair down the line. I also appreciate the info about the soundcard that sounds like a great strategy. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiacomoHoldini View Post



Does that include even the puny amped signal of an iPod headphone jack?  I wouldn't think that would do any damage.

 

Zerosum0101, the RS220 is self-driving.  In fact, you can't actually amp them.  Any input into the transmitter will ultimately be digitized and transmitted as a non-amped signal.  The amps for these are in the cans themselves, which is why they're battery powered.

 

Makes sense. I'm just starting to read up on all this stuff but I should've done a little more research before asking that. Thanks for the clarification. 
 

*Sorry didn't meant to multi-post to those responses. I messed up on responding to three responses to me and accidentally did it in two posts.

 


Edited by zerosum0101 - 2/5/12 at 9:42pm
post #171 of 457

hello,

 

Just bought the RS 220 last week. Sound is excellent but I have micro drops sometime.

Do not know what I will do, but I can not enjoy musics because of this.

 

I tried different sources (analog/coax/toslink) but same problem and it can not be interferences as I tested removing my wireless network.

I just noticed better results after using the "paring button"

 

Regards

 

 

 

post #172 of 457

How frequent are the micro drops?

post #173 of 457

No hum/whine.  No drops.  So far so good.  Charging light goes out after a million hours.  Great for movies ( doesn't do 5.1 though,  only stereo).

Can't absolutely recommend until I listen to music for a few more sessions.  Otinkyad, tried disconnecting and reconnecting and still no whine/hum.  I see you're looking to exchange them for a new pair...good idea. 

post #174 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Dragon View Post

No hum/whine.  No drops.  So far so good.  Charging light goes out after a million hours.  Great for movies ( doesn't do 5.1 though,  only stereo).

Can't absolutely recommend until I listen to music for a few more sessions.  Otinkyad, tried disconnecting and reconnecting and still no whine/hum.  I see you're looking to exchange them for a new pair...good idea. 

 

Thanks for checking!  Yes, I'll see what the seller says about replacement...
 

 

post #175 of 457
So as stated in an earlier post. I just received my RS 220's last Friday. Very early in the cycle for me to give it a true review, but... It paired automatically, worked great with my Denon receiver Via Optical, Digital and Headphone outs. I have a medium sized apartment (about 1700 SQ FT) with a loft and I was able to clear uninterrupted signal in every inch of my space. The sound is what has really impressed me so far, I was expecting Good sound ( I have a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 3 and some Shure SE535) but not what actually came out of these cans. If this only gets better with burn in... WOW. So far I have tried it with a movie, turned on Top Gun on my Bluray and the results were incredible. The sound stage is very ample, with great bass, very clear mids and somewhat subtle highs. Watched the Superbowl as well and was again impressed by the clarity. I then put on my Pink Floyd Pulse DVD and was really floored by what I heard. I had a VERY hard time believing that this was a wireless set of cans. I heard every single instrument perfectly, like I said if this only gets better after a 100 hours or so... WOW Next I played a little MW3 and again was very surprised by the sound. Now I am not what I consider an audiophile. I have mid range everything ( Panasonic 65 in Plasma, Denon 2807, Orb speakers and a PS3 as my Bluray player) but I love music and i love it loud. So i wont spout on regarding the delicate intricacies that many on this board go over and over and over about. What I can tell you is that I spent 600 dollars on these cans and after 3 day of use, I can say that I am pleased, but…. I am getting these micro drops, really less than a second. But it is definitely palpable and they are beginning to irk me. 600 us is really steep price for something that drops. Will use for another couple of days before calling in to RMA them, But again. The sound… WOW these things are wireless and still manage to sound like this. Love em, but…!
post #176 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanbandit View Post

So as stated in an earlier post. I just received my RS 220's last Friday. Very early in the cycle for me to give it a true review, but... It paired automatically, worked great with my Denon receiver Via Optical, Digital and Headphone outs. I have a medium sized apartment (about 1700 SQ FT) with a loft and I was able to clear uninterrupted signal in every inch of my space. The sound is what has really impressed me so far, I was expecting Good sound ( I have a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 3 and some Shure SE535) but not what actually came out of these cans. If this only gets better with burn in... WOW. So far I have tried it with a movie, turned on Top Gun on my Bluray and the results were incredible. The sound stage is very ample, with great bass, very clear mids and somewhat subtle highs. Watched the Superbowl as well and was again impressed by the clarity. I then put on my Pink Floyd Pulse DVD and was really floored by what I heard. I had a VERY hard time believing that this was a wireless set of cans. I heard every single instrument perfectly, like I said if this only gets better after a 100 hours or so... WOW Next I played a little MW3 and again was very surprised by the sound. Now I am not what I consider an audiophile. I have mid range everything ( Panasonic 65 in Plasma, Denon 2807, Orb speakers and a PS3 as my Bluray player) but I love music and i love it loud. So i wont spout on regarding the delicate intricacies that many on this board go over and over and over about. What I can tell you is that I spent 600 dollars on these cans and after 3 day of use, I can say that I am pleased, but…. I am getting these micro drops, really less than a second. But it is definitely palpable and they are beginning to irk me. 600 us is really steep price for something that drops. Will use for another couple of days before calling in to RMA them, But again. The sound… WOW these things are wireless and still manage to sound like this. Love em, but…!


It seems like a few people are having problems with micro drops, I wonder how Sennheiser would approach fixing this problem (if it indeed is widespread).. Guess I may wait and see how all of this develops before taking the plunge ;)) thanks for the reviews on this forum for those who have posted.

 

post #177 of 457

I am still having drops with my RS220. I do have several computers around these I am wondering its wifi router (not close to rs220) interfering with rs220 signal.

I'll try to change channel and see if that works for me.  I wish this goes away .

post #178 of 457
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePouX View Post

 

Just bought the RS 220 last week. Sound is excellent but I have micro drops sometime.

Do not know what I will do, but I can not enjoy musics because of this.



That would be a deal breaker for me, as well.  That's too bad, because based on the reports, the cans sound great.  Like Ahzari, I'll hold off until I see how this plays out.  Maybe I'll be going wired after all.

post #179 of 457

Ya, it seems like everyone on this post that has bought them is having the same issues.  I think I will wait also to see if this is something that will get fixed.  Maybe they should have stuck with the Kleer technology. 

post #180 of 457


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3fun View Post

I am still having drops with my RS220. I do have several computers around these I am wondering its wifi router (not close to rs220) interfering with rs220 signal.

I'll try to change channel and see if that works for me.  I wish this goes away .



Hi,

 

It was the first thing I did using this documentation :

http://documentation.netgear.com/reference/fra/wireless/WirelessNetworkingBasics-3-05.html

It did not work. So I unplugged the router : same problem.

I will now try different music formats (I am using ALAC) to see if I there is a difference.

 

I sent a mail to the Seinnheiser support today explaining the problem...so wait and see before making a RMA.

 

PS : the Micro drops are very inconsistent. I can have an entire song without any of them and having 10 during the next song. 

 

 


Edited by ThePouX - 2/6/12 at 9:29pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser RS220 Availability?