Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PC Gaming Headset.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Gaming Headset. - Page 2

post #16 of 32
Thread Starter 

ok so the consensus im getting here is the 360 are way overpriced and i should look at getting headphones instead of a head set and just adding the mic. So let me ask this. would  i be better getting the hd558 with a amped soundcard or the hd 595s with my current card. I guess you can tell that im not so worried about saving money as much as i am about getting the best game sound quality for less than 300. In other words whats my best setup for no more than 300 dollars. maybe even the 598s? My only scare is buying a headset and my soundcard being the problem ohm wise


Edited by slross83 - 10/6/11 at 9:40am
post #17 of 32

My Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro "80-Ohm" headphones worked just fine with my Asus Xonar DX (which does not come with a dedicated headphone amplifier).

So I really doubt you current sound card would have a problem with 50-Ohm headphones.

post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Well you came to the right place.. I own the same card you have as well as the Titanium HD card for gaming on my gaming PCs.. I will be honest with you..Most guys will recommend the Ad700 and mix amp. your sound card with X-fi CMSS-3D will do directional sound just fine. And the idea of buying an expensive sennheiser PC350 or 360.. No...Ad700? no

 

I am the co founder for one of the premier BF online clans.. =SOC= For my own research and use as I game a lot. You don't need any of those. The headphone to use is The SAMSON SR850. It is better than the AD700 and is better than my HD595 Sennheiser which is an upgrade from the PC360 which is just a renamed HD555 with a mic.  Got all that?

 

So the Samson SR850 is a professional monitoring phone and when combined with your CMSS-3D on. You will be shocked at how precise and great this combo is for gaming.. I have the AD700 and the problem with that phone are 2 things. First it is too airy/ open. The sound stage is very wide and while most guys will just say get this because of this wide stage. IT is too wide. What I mean by this. On games you will notice when enemies shoot at you from what should be 20 ft away it often sound like 25ft away.. A bit too far off. You don't want to use closed headphones as sound become too closed in and can cause an echo which is not wanted.

 

The answer is a semi open can. The samson SR850 is a semi open can . The 2nd thing wrong with the Ad700 is the anemic bass response or the lack there of. It has almost no bass sounds for music and games throwing out a thud instead of a boom. The samson has full dynamic bass and because of its monitor nature. The sounds in game are precise beyond belief...I have put over 2K hours on BC2 alone with this combo and I can make out at what part of the map a guy is shooting at me with my eyes closed. I can tell what part of the building is being invaded and at what level with my eyes closed. I can tell if a guy is anywhere near me.. All with my eyes closed. the Samson on buy.com will cost you $50 and a clip on mic to throw on your headphone will cost around $10.

 

I know it might sound ridiculous to think a budget set like this would out trump a $250 one..The real truth is you don't need to spend a craptacuar amount of cash to get perfect positional sound in games. You can even buy an upgrade. A titanium HD and a Samson SR850 for less of the cost of one PC360.. I can certainly bet you the PC360 just because it has a big price tag and a built in mic will not do better than what I just mentioned... People don't believe what I suggest.. That is until you try it for yourself.



I dont mean to come off rude but lets clear a few things up before I do this is my setup and my "sound" background

 

i7 @ 5 ghz

sli 460 talon hawk's

16gb crucial memory

750w  silver efficient ocz psu

sound card = xonar essence stx

 

headphones tested -  

zalman

ad 700

sennheier 555

Steelseries Siberia V2 USB

Razer Megalodon

Tritton AX Pro

Turtle Beach Ear Force X41

beyermusic DT770

Logitech G7

samson SR850

 

Gaming Experience

 

cevo-p     cevo.org       cod2/4/worldinconflict/tf2

cal-invite caleague      cod1/2/4/quake4tdm/q41v1/halo/rtcw

gglinvite q41v1/wsw1v1

oglinvite rtcw/q2

 

no offense to the guy above, but he's gaming experience is limited.  I played bc2 with 1 of the top teams in the game and those "community" clans are garbage when it comes to "competitive" gaming.  unless you played in a league like

 

cevo

esea 

or on lan like  pax / qcon / cpl ( which isnt around ) cgs (isnt around)  wsvg  then you have no idea what youre talking about ( sorry to be rude, but this is a fact ) I'll be 30 next week and have been gaming @ a HIGH level in just about every game Ive touched, accept for wow / league of legends, which I played for fun.... Takes to much time to keep up to date in those games, and Im not into becoming fat... so

 

 

1) I agree with his statement on AD 700's   I have currently been using those because people recommended them for gaming, well they are TERRIBLE for bass and because of that, it makes sound positioning not as clear. Even with my badass sound card you cant emulate the bass well, it sounds like crap because it just leaks to much.

 

2) you Definitely want closed cans for "gaming" without QUESTION --- those are by far the best for perfect positioning and just the right amount of bass ( you can adjust because it will be too much if youre not an idiot ) for you, once you lower and adjust it properly....

 

3) The sr850 sound like ok with mid's and highs, the clarity are whats in question, compared to the AD 700's it doesnt hold a light to it, but yes it does have bass

 

Depending on your price range... if you WANT a sound card the Xonar is a great sound card, now the gui is kind of ****ty imo compared to sound blaster Ive heard ( but dont know ) the NEWEST and ONLY the newest Fatality card is awesome... the rest blow .... but the newest has the new hd components

 

if you want a cheap setup, like really cheap

a sound blaster audigy 2 sz or gamer + zalman headset - I used this for years and the sound positioning is awesome, its actually perfect the only flaw in the system is its not 100% crystal clear like some other headsets, but like I said the positioning is PERFECT

 

if you wanna spend more money, new fat card + senn 595 or dt770

 

remember any headset you buy + a zalman microphone for 10 bucks will be ok, just make sure

 

1) closed cans

2) if you're gonna drop a dime on a card, new fat card or xonar

3) do you really need it? most likely not.... like I stated the sound audigy sz 2 which I had since like 1999 to 2008ish?, with my zalman headset ( like what? 20 for the card, 50 for headset + mic )

4) all gaming headsets blow dick and you never need a "amp" for music or gaming on the computer, somene says that they are full of ****. unless youre in the music industry ( my friend in chicago has worked with alicia keys, ludacris, aretha franklin, Lupe and this isnt even up to date http://www.myspace.com/studiojames )  

 

When it comes to "PC gaming" I know my stuff.   enjoy   :)

 

 

xonar ad700 / senn 595 is what Im currently running, but I like to try different things for games, especially now since gaming on the pc is dead, unless youre a "pub" player like 90% of the people are. you dont need quality sound for games like "league of legends and dota 2" which will be the games where the $$$ is.... unlike like bf3 / cod mw2 which will be only good for "pub" games ( i.e bc2 / mw2 prime example ZERO tournaments accept for the 4v4v4v4 bc2 ) that a team like =soc= will play, which is cool in their own right :P   but lack that  "competitive" mindset ...what I mean by that is... they think a 24inch 60hz monitor is better then a 20inch  125hz monitor, when in fact its FAR from better.  You could tell a huge difference if you play @ a high level of gaming .... and youre in that "mind frame" of knowing there shouldnt be a 3 second delay in your burst from your gun because a smoke grenade just blew up in your face, regular pub players would not notice this at all. I use to "give lessons" and I noticed it in 90% of my clients. ... trust me I know :P  been there done it. This is why I still own 1 of the best CRT's you can get. Obviously along with a top samsung 125hz monitor.  :P


Edited by identity - 10/6/11 at 10:57am
post #19 of 32
Thread Starter 

thank your for that long post i do appreciate the time and effort to help me. I dotn want a cheap setup. the new fat card and sen 595 will cost me way to much. i do not want to go over 300. So if your saying my soundcard will suffice for a new headset then which would you buy for under 300? that my soundcard will power with no problems

post #20 of 32

Closed cans over open cans for gaming? That's not something I hear very often unless the closed cans in question happen to be Ultrasone, and they've got S-Logic going for them.

 

One thing's for sure, though; I'd never really use my closed SS-20 (or MDR-CD180, if the left cup didn't break off the headband) over my open AD700 or Lambda. The positional cues just don't jump out as well, and anything less than certain when it comes to situational awareness can get you killed. Perhaps a more modern, higher-end closed headphone will hold up better.

 

So many conflicting opinions on this site, and the only way I could hope to form my own opinion on it all is to buy and audition everything..."sorry about your wallet" indeed.

post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

Closed cans over open cans for gaming? That's not something I hear very often unless the closed cans in question happen to be Ultrasone, and they've got S-Logic going for them.

 

One thing's for sure, though; I'd never really use my closed SS-20 (or MDR-CD180, if the left cup didn't break off the headband) over my open AD700 or Lambda. The positional cues just don't jump out as well, and anything less than certain when it comes to situational awareness can get you killed. Perhaps a more modern, higher-end closed headphone will hold up better.

 

So many conflicting opinions on this site, and the only way I could hope to form my own opinion on it all is to buy and audition everything..."sorry about your wallet" indeed.



1) the sound positioning / stage is TERRIBLE in open cans.... Why would you want them for gaming? the sound bleeds.... you "lose" sound for gaming

2) bass and mids are TERRIBLE in comparison to low vs closed... something you definitely want in gaming headsets

3) I tried open cans, because of ignorant "sound people" who gamed, but the problem is, they are terrible at "video games" and dont truly understand what quality "GAMING" sound is.  I will never ever make this mistake again. In my 15 years of "high level PC gaming" - not just pubbing running around the map.  :)

4) Sound is based on "opinion" to a certain degree, but there are some CLEAR issues   i.e  is there bass? does the sound bleed out? can you hear outside sources?  open cans do all those, which is POOR for gaming, there is a reason @ lan you ONLY use closed cans.

5) of course you wouldnt use those cans over your ad700, those are ******* AWFUL cans in general and Lol  the ss-20 as in sansui? those are garbage and out of date 2 way headphones, and the mdr if Im correct sony? why would you even buy those? those are worth the 10 cents in my pocket.... Ear buds are better then those.....

 

back to question on hand

 

Senn595, DT777 beyer, Audio Tech A900    are all good to go.....

 

Isolation sound "closed headsets" are VERY important for video games, there is a reason why "open cans" cost less, they are 1) cheaper to make 2) dont isolate sound in or keep sound out and the bass is terrible

 

like I stated I have the A700 audio tech that Ive used for the past 6 months in bc2 / league of legends ( not important ) and quakelive   VERY important.... and the sound is awful compared to my $50 buck zalmans, as far as sound positioning and bass goes, but the highs and mids are excellent for music / movies..

post #22 of 32

I disagree with identity... Closed for gaming? Really?

 

Anyways, I tried the samson sr850 just yesterday and it sounded better than my pair of AD700's for sure. I also tried the HD595's as well and it did not do positional audio as well as AD700's.

 

I would reconmend getting the samson's. If you take great care with them, they should not break anytime soon.

 

An alternative of the mic-clip-on would be getting a standalone microphone that would sit on your desk.

post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnRhasta View Post

I disagree with identity... Closed for gaming? Really?

 

Anyways, I tried the samson sr850 just yesterday and it sounded better than my pair of AD700's for sure. I also tried the HD595's as well and it did not do positional audio as well as AD700's.

 

I would reconmend getting the samson's. If you take great care with them, they should not break anytime soon.

 

An alternative of the mic-clip-on would be getting a standalone microphone that would sit on your desk.


Why would you not want closed for gaming? name 1 logical reasoning behind it? other then sound stage? there is ZERO reasoning for it, as far as sound goes... then that, however when it comes to gaming this point is "void" because there is no bass isolation.... it dies off where as in closed cans its isolated and the bass never levels off, so you can for instance hear the small "clicking" sound of someone reloading his clip behind a wall. I have tested 2 different headsets A700's and HD555's in call of duty 2 years back with the same system. Map Caretan I had someone inside a building reloading I could not hear with A700 what I could hear with my my HD555 and thats even trying to mimic the sound with my gui ...... Its a flawed system .. The only reason to buy  2 comparable headsets

 

1) open  for lighter "weight" headset ( optional )

2) open  for music / movies ( opinionated )

3) open if you wanna hear outside sounds i.e  friends talking   / tv  ( which you DONT want for gaming )

 

1) closed  deep foot steps of people running ( DO want for gaming )

2) closed  deeper impact    ( DO want for gaming )

3) closed deeper bass in movies....  ( DO want for gaming )

4) closed sound, no outside sources i.e tv/friends ( DO want for gaming)

 

these are FACTS that cant be argued.... its not an opinion... lol .......  this comes down to who actually know what sounds good and who doesnt from previous setups... this cant even be argued.... this goes for all headsets of the same "caliber / league" per say...  now obviously if youre talking a **** pair of headset vs a good pair regardless if its open or closed, then this doesnt matter or a huge price different i.e .... 100 pair hd555 vs like  grado ps 1000 with an amp type situation...

 


Edited by identity - 10/6/11 at 12:30pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by identity View Post

1) the sound positioning / stage is TERRIBLE in open cans.... Why would you want them for gaming? the sound bleeds.... you "lose" sound for gaming

2) bass and mids are TERRIBLE in comparison to low vs closed... something you definitely want in gaming headsets

3) I tried open cans, because of ignorant "sound people" who gamed, but the problem is, they are terrible at "video games" and dont truly understand what quality "GAMING" sound is.  I will never ever make this mistake again. In my 15 years of "high level PC gaming" - not just pubbing running around the map.  :)

4) Sound is based on "opinion" to a certain degree, but there are some CLEAR issues   i.e  is there bass? does the sound bleed out? can you hear outside sources?  open cans do all those, which is POOR for gaming, there is a reason @ lan you ONLY use closed cans.

5) of course you wouldnt use those cans over your ad700, those are ******* AWFUL cans in general and Lol  the ss-20 as in sansui? those are garbage and out of date 2 way headphones, and the mdr if Im correct sony? why would you even buy those? those are worth the 10 cents in my pocket.... Ear buds are better then those.....

 

back to question on hand

 

Senn595, DT777 beyer, Audio Tech A900    are all good to go.....

 

Isolation sound "closed headsets" are VERY important for video games, there is a reason why "open cans" cost less, they are 1) cheaper to make 2) dont isolate sound in or keep sound out and the bass is terrible

 

like I stated I have the A700 audio tech that Ive used for the past 6 months in bc2 / league of legends ( not important ) and quakelive   VERY important.... and the sound is awful compared to my $50 buck zalmans, as far as sound positioning and bass goes, but the highs and mids are excellent for music / movies..


The SS-20s were hand-me-downs, and the MDR-CD180s were something I got at a yard sale for a few dollars because I wanted something comfortable and easy to drive for portable use. I don't have any pretense of either being audiophile cans. However, I don't have any remaining funds for Ultrasones or Denons when it comes to sampling higher-end closed cans.

 

Isolation is not an issue for me. There generally isn't anyone else in the computer room when I'm gaming, and family members get pissed off whenever I can't hear them calling me upstairs, which actually makes isolation a BAD thing for my lifestyle. I'd love to live alone, but that's the reality of things for now.

 

You're also yet another basshead. I'm not. I value clarity most, and that's where my Stax setup excels (and all other electrostatics, presumably). If I wanted slamming bass, I'd get a subwoofer or a bass shaker and run it in tandem with headphones, but funds are limited and I still don't want to piss off the rest of the family with the rumbling.

 

I don't feel like I lose any sounds with open cans at all, to be honest. Gives me a nice ambient feeling, actually. Might lose reverberating bass that way, but again, I'm NOT a basshead.

post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

The SS-20s were hand-me-downs, and the MDR-CD180s were something I got at a yard sale for a few dollars because I wanted something comfortable and easy to drive for portable use. I don't have any pretense of either being audiophile cans. However, I don't have any remaining funds for Ultrasones or Denons when it comes to sampling higher-end closed cans.

 

Isolation is not an issue for me. There generally isn't anyone else in the computer room when I'm gaming, and family members get pissed off whenever I can't hear them calling me upstairs, which actually makes isolation a BAD thing for my lifestyle. I'd love to live alone, but that's the reality of things for now.

 

You're also yet another basshead. I'm not. I value clarity most, and that's where my Stax setup excels (and all other electrostatics, presumably). If I wanted slamming bass, I'd get a subwoofer or a bass shaker and run it in tandem with headphones, but funds are limited and I still don't want to piss off the rest of the family with the rumbling.

 

I don't feel like I lose any sounds with open cans at all, to be honest. Gives me a nice ambient feeling, actually. Might lose reverberating bass that way, but again, I'm NOT a basshead.



Im not a bass head at all when it comes to gaming, I actually think it can ruin you positioning, but when you have no bass like you do with the open can A700's it can hurt you drastically. I like to pin point my sound to a T and you need bass for this. Now, with that said... I knew you had lesser experience in that department and those cans were trash :P   However, if you actually read what you say you have little to compare to...

 

you have hand me downs ( and 2 junk cans ) neither are of sub-par quality, so what are you comparing it too?

 

isolation isnt an issue? obviously it is, because you need open cans to "hear" outside.... ok that is a terrible thing when youve never heard a GOOD set of closed cans... look at what youre using for comparison...

 

youre not a basshead ok, but you have no clue what a game sounds like ( from those cheap cans ) and those hand me downs what "good" bass sounds like. Giving you the benefit of a doubt, those are probably the first pair of cans that are decent youve ever owned... and from the reviews they might actually be good for that price range and maybe even alittle more expensive. however, bass on those phones are not on par with others, the question is what type of GUI do you have to emulate the bass AND how much bleeds out?   I love bass in my CAR not in my video games, but if you want the perfect sound, you HAVE to have some bass... not the kind that "leaks out" and makes a muffled like.... pop sound, but the deep boom sound, which can be "lowered" but still heard that way... I believe HIGHS and MIDS are much more important

 

By the way what sound card are you using since youre broke?

 

quote I found on another thread

--

"

Just got mine in. Haven't had a chance to burn them in, but wanted to give initial impressions. They actually have a lot of bass! At least, more than I was expecting. The bass doesn't sound as neutral and punchy as my D2000s, but might be comparable to the M50s I had. It also doesn't extend quite as deep. Highs are nice and crisp. They have a slight metallic, sibilant sound to them compared to the D2000s. This is also similar to the M50s, but perhaps not as bad as those. Mids seem to be slightly recessed, but I could be mistaken. They don't sound quite as lively as the D2000s, and they have a slightly more congested sound to them as well. Still, they seem to have a good soundstage and good imaging. 

 

All in all, they really sound very good! Worth every penny if you can get them for $40, and more! From what I remember of the M50s, I'd say these are in the same league. In fact, I might even prefer these! They have a very pleasing, cohesive sound. Are the M50s worth double what I paid for these? Probably not. Are the D2000s worth $250 compared to these? I'd say they're definitely a step up in sound quality overall, so that price is worth it to me. Will the vast population notice much of a difference? No."

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/546544/samson-sr850-superlux-oem-review-a-50-budget-champion/15

 

I dont have many hours in this cheaper pair, so these might be something to look @ and saving money on. question is How do they compare to some dt777 or hd595's...  I would have to listen to them more and/or see someone who has lots of exp in the area's clarification.  so, far ( no offense what so ever ) all I see are amateurs giving their opinion, which you're entitled to, however its clearly wrong and just based on the "lack" of experience you do have.

 

Im not trying to be rude, Im just trying to look @ the person ( back ground in exp, comparing items, etc etc ) whos giving the advice. I know that If say... Someone asked my advice on cooking, which I love to do and I do because Im into lifting and eating healthy... I would give it, but then again I have NO experience compared to someone who has worked in industry, or went to school for it, etc etc etc.... I dont have nothing to compare it to but my family / friends or my own creation.... you get my drift.  you just dont look like you have hardly any thing to compare it to or any experience. youre just the typical gamer who hears some sound is like, ya these are better... which is ok if that makes you happy. where as I "along with handful" of people taking gaming very serious.... I play for money in my respected game. I car down to the very little crackle how my sound sounds.... eventually however it all comes down to "preference" BUT there are advantages to sound... Thats the key.. Its like saying there is no different between a mouse pads, they all work right? or there is no difference in mouse, all work right? when in reality there are huge differences and key advantages to certain ones THEN it comes down to preference... but you have to get to a certain level of "quality" before you reach "preference" choices.


Edited by identity - 10/6/11 at 1:14pm
post #26 of 32

That is my exact dilemma. Small reference pool, little to compare to. Not having access to a wide variety of headphones doesn't help, especially those with different sound signatures.

 

The SS-20 was a hand-me-down I don't use often for comfort reasons. The MDR-CD180s won't stay together and were originally purchased on the cheap with the intent of portable usage. If anything, the AD700s were the first cans I had anywhere near decent, but I'm looking at selling those to recoup the cost of the Stax Lambda setup I bought here a month ago (which, at $250, is actually very affordable for a Lambda-series Stax system, but still not cheap and the main reason why I no longer have money for more headphones).

 

My sound cards of choice happen to be an Auzentech X-Fi Forte in my flagship setup, which I bought mostly to move the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude to an older gaming desktop and prepare myself for future motherboards that only have PCIe slots. It's currently feeding a hand-me-down Onkyo TX-SV515PRO via analog (no DAC in this receiver), which in turn is feeding a Stax SRD-7/SB transformer box (needs speaker-level input, hence the receiver), which in turn feeds the Stax SR-Lambda. With all the other cans, I drove them from the sound card directly because they did not need any serious amplification. Keep in mind that I bought the sound cards before finding that Stax deal.

 

What worries me is that they all sound sort of similar frequency response-wise from the source, which doesn't seem right at all. Other things like soundstage and clarity change, but all of them rolling off below 40 Hz without EQ doesn't seem right at all, especially since the Lambda's supposed to have good extension and volume at the low end (if not as much impact, a side effect of how electrostatics deliver sound vs. dynamics). I still haven't quite found out what component in the chain is responsible for this.

 

I'm looking at picking up an SR850 to compare to what I do have, maybe some other headphones as well that are KNOWN for bass performance, particularly 20-40 Hz sub-bass. If the same rolloff happens, I know it's a source-side problem and nothing to do with the headphones.

post #27 of 32
Thread Starter 

ok lets try this. Instead of this war over whats better open or closed. Let change it up a little. Lets say you were me and you had my soundblaster xifi extreme gamer sound card. NO AMP. which would you buy. I know everyone will say something different but if i can get the majority to say just one set of headphones over another ill go with it. Also i would prefer open cans not for sound reasons  but just because i need to hear  outside of the cans if someone yells. Kids Gotta love em. But its not a must. i often play with one side off of my head anyways so i can hear other things

 

Identity says "Senn595, DT777 beyer, Audio Tech A900"

 

so there we go 595 1 point

DT777 1 point

A900 1 point

 

on a side note how do i know how many ohms my soundblaster xifi extreme gamer sound card can produce


Edited by slross83 - 10/6/11 at 1:56pm
post #28 of 32

@ nameless

 

The issue with the freq levels comes down to the sound card, before I bought my soundcard I did crazy research for about 6 months. I heard those Azure cards have a problem with video games because of the way they, once again, reproduce the "bass"  ... I actually wanted to get the NEW fatality card because it has all the new piece / transistors in it instead of the same crap from previous models, it also has new technology that the old models dont. Azure cards fail at this.... The only reason I got the 200 dollar xonar essense or whatever was because I received it for 50 from a friend who had 2 .... 1 as a gift he didnt need. thanks Andrew aka BunzMcgriddle aka InspectahDeck  :P   

 

http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards-computer-audio/989286-updated-5-6-11-creative-x.html

 

nice article about sound cards -  However there is no point "realisticly" in dropping this kind of money unless you have it laying around, which I did at the time, but then I received the "50$" deal from the friend regardless. otherwise I would have went with the Titanium HD ( I keep calling it the FAT card, aka Fatal1ty aka   jonathan wendel    x teammate of mine :)  clan Kapitol  !!! wooohoo  team cK ... anyways

 

@slr   I would either go with hd 555 or hd 595    neither will do you wrong. plan and simple

 

Playback: 24-Bit/96kHz 7.1

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >108dB (20kHz Low-pass filter, A-Weighted)

Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise at 1kHz: 0.006% (20kHz Low-pass filter)

Recording: 24-bit/96kHz

 

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by slross83 View Post

ok lets try this. Instead of this war over whats better open or closed. Let change it up a little. Lets say you were me and you had my soundblaster xifi extreme gamer sound card. NO AMP. which would you buy. I know everyone will say something different but if i can get the majority to say just one set of headphones over another ill go with it. Also i would prefer open cans not for sound reasons  but just because i need to hear  outside of the cans if someone yells. Kids Gotta love em. But its not a must. i often play with one side off of my head anyways so i can hear other things

 

Identity says "Senn595, DT777 beyer, Audio Tech A900"

 

so there we go 595 1 point

DT777 1 point

A900 1 point

 

on a side note how do i know how many ohms my soundblaster xifi extreme gamer sound card can produce


You prefer open cans (headphones), the Audio Technica ATH-A900 is a closed can, the AD900 is the open version.

There is no (Beyerdynamic) DT777 model, so I'm assuming your referring to the DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm.

The  DT-770 series headphones are closed cans

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 is 35-Ohm.

The Sennheiser HD-595 is 50-Ohm.

Most affortable "gaming" headphones are in the 32-50 Ohm range.

So I'm assuming most sound cards (the ones without a built in headphone amp.) are design to be workable with cans in the 32-50 Ohm range, so headphones in the 50 to 60-Ohm range should still work fine,

 

 


Edited by PurpleAngel - 10/6/11 at 3:30pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

You prefer open cans (headphones), the Audio Technica ATH-A900 is a closed can, the AD900 is the open version.

There is no (Sennheiser) DT777 model, so I'm assuming your referring to the DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm.

The  DT-770 series headphones are closed cans

The Audio Technica ATH-AD900 is 35-Ohm.

The Sennheiser HD-595 is 50-Ohm.

Most affortable "gaming" headphones are in the 32-50 Ohm range.

So I'm assuming most sound cards (the ones without a built in headphone amp.) are design to be workable with cans in the 32-50 Ohm range, so headphones in the 50 to 60-Ohm range should still work fine,

 

 



Nobody said Sennheiser dt777 ( it says )  dt777 beyer aka    beyerdynamic dt 770  ( yes its 770 not 777, but beyer alone should of gave it away )

AD700 are open cans, which is what I use, not the A700 ( I have never heard them / tested them )  not "900"

I agree with "most affordable gaming headphones are in the 32-50 Ohm range and the rest

 

on a side note, Im going to order some HD 595's again either today or tomorrow and sell my A700's. Want them? perfect condition.


Edited by identity - 10/6/11 at 3:12pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › PC Gaming Headset.