Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer... - Page 11

post #151 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakiDabeast View Post

HAHAHHAHAHAH btw it is legal to video tape someone without their consent, just not photograph them.



Not to get off topic. It is legal to photograph them too - provided you are both in a public place (in most places in the United States). What you cannot do, is use an image of them for commercial purposes without their consent. 

post #152 of 440

Hi all,

 

I bought HDJ-2000 a week ago and I would like to share a couple thoughs, maybe a review later on:

 

context:

- these are DJ headphones, the flagship product of a line of DJ gear where Pioneer very very very VERY BIG

- ... this means they did not really care how this would sound with classical music (duh!)

- .... but we should take them for what they are but not by their 'DJ' credentials, they are much more than boom boxes.

 

- bass is there but a bit 'hollow': doesn't "booom", more like "ummmm" (hope you get what I mean)

- no matter what you throw at them they will never hurt your ears (sound-wise) no matter how loud you play them with 'hot' or sibilant recordings, even from an ipod, I definitely get the feeling they are protecting my ears (regarding the bass I also never get the feeling they are trying to bomb my eardrums like some other headphones, remember, "ummm" not "booom").

- they were made to be played LOUD, so at low volumes they sound a little 'murky' like Tyll said on inner-fidelity

- overall sound is "smoothed" and not revealling, great for bad quality music or poor/portable sources on noisy environments, bad for critical listening or studio monitoring.

- build-wise I think they will last a lifetime!! top!

- huge benefit from amping (bass is deeper and more controled, mids come out a little more)

- they have 'groove' but feel laid-back, almost sennheiser-like (for which the the energy is in the high-mids, not in the bass like the Pioneers)

- what they don't have is 'zing' and bite for guitars for instance or delicacy for classical.

 

overall: if you are looking for sennheiser-like revealing mids, forget it - use TMA-1 from AIAIAI (mids are more revealing but is more like a tool, not pleasurable to listen to me at least). Use the Pioneers for what they are and you will be very happy - portable, top build quality, good isolation, protects your hearing at high volumes and sound good with no fatal flaw.

 

They don't anything exceptionally well.... except the fact that they don't do anything wrong! whitch is quite an achievement! For a portable alternative they're a fine choice, as a reference for home not really. However they are far far far better overall than their 'DJ' credentials would lead you to believe: although murky/laid-back sounding they are pretty balanced.

 

hope this helps, will make a more coherent text when I get the time

 

PS: I need to add that mine have little use yet, some of this may change over burn-in.


Edited by NeoVibe - 10/21/11 at 2:22am
post #153 of 440
Thread Starter 

I concur with most of your statements, although I quite like mine for classical. While they're not the last word in detail, I don't think they're as bad as you make them out to be. The sound is too coloured and "boxed in" for studio use though. Definitely needs to tone down the midbass. Granted, I would not use *any* of the headphones in this shootout for studio applications.

 

I do however disagree with your assessment of the TMA-1. I have no idea how you feel the mids there to be revealing... I mostly just hear bloat from the bass bleedover and the mids feel recessed and overdamped to my ears.

post #154 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I concur with most of your statements, although I quite like mine for classical. While they're not the last word in detail, I don't think they're as bad as you make them out to be. The sound is too coloured and "boxed in" for studio use though. Definitely needs to tone down the midbass. Granted, I would not use *any* of the headphones in this shootout for studio applications.

 

I do however disagree with your assessment of the TMA-1. I have no idea how you feel the mids there to be revealing... I mostly just hear bloat from the bass bleedover and the mids feel recessed and overdamped to my ears.


Hi there,

 

Regarding TMA-1 I really must say I have little experience with them, but they did feel more forward to me than the Pioneers (but this was only with an iphone). And I meant 'more revealing' than the Pioneers, not revealing in it's own right.

 

Regarding classical I stand by my statement though, I really think they not appropriate at all (I am only saying this based on their sound and not their DJ credentials). I mean, they are not bad, certainly much better than stock earbuds for classical, my point is more regarding their price! I bought my HD-600 almost 10 years ago for about the same price (250eur vs 230eur) and they are far far superior. So, I will replace "not good for classical" by "not good for classical at this price point" :)

 

PS: added a couple more details to the thread above in italic

 

post #155 of 440
Thread Starter 

Oh I won't disagree with them being expensive for what they are. They're already beyond what I want to spend in headphones (and I'll bet my Canadian prices are just as bad as yours compared to the US prices).

 

For classical, the best ones of this bunch in my opinion would be the DT1350 followed by the M80.

post #156 of 440

I was pretty happy with the sound that I could get from my T50Ps for the type of music I listen to predominantly (rock & metal, i.e. not bass heavy music generally). Unfortunately, like was mentioned in the review and by many others, the position of the headphones is super important to getting the best possible sound. Knowing this I got a bit OCD and continually thought that I could get a better sound by just adjusting the position a touch more, etc. ad nauseum.

I think I would have preferred a greater clamping force as well, as I did have them fall off once or twice when I bent my head downwards to read something.

post #157 of 440

Great job mate. What a comprehensive review. It was really good read. Thanks for your effort putting this together.

post #158 of 440

Just wanna put out there, the HD25-1 II very fast sound actually make classical sound like what it actually is, I play violin, I've played it for 5ish years, and it actually resembles the instruments more so than my M50's and slightly better than my MS400's for classical. 

post #159 of 440
Thread Starter 

I personally find the highs and lows a little too emphasized on the HD25 for classical, though I'll agree that it sounds better than the M50. Against the MS400 it would be a tossup for me. 

post #160 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

Not to get off topic. It is legal to photograph them too - provided you are both in a public place (in most places in the United States). What you cannot do, is use an image of them for commercial purposes without their consent. 



oh yeah woops I was thinking of the context in commercial, you can video tape someone for a commercial without their permission, but not photograph them.

post #161 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I personally find the highs and lows a little too emphasized on the HD25 for classical, though I'll agree that it sounds better than the M50. Against the MS400 it would be a tossup for me. 



Yeah I mean I guess I haven't heard enough headphones to make a good solid comparison, but none the less, I really felt like I was there playing it, and yeah especially for the low notes it really felt like I was playing them ^^. Oh also anyone know why some lower quality bassy headphones really give that shaking in the low notes, honestly although it sounds pretty damn bad I still like the feel XD. 

post #162 of 440
Thread Starter 

The AKG closed portables do a pretty good job of that.

post #163 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakiDabeast View Post

oh yeah woops I was thinking of the context in commercial, you can video tape someone for a commercial without their permission, but not photograph them.



I actually don't think you can use video/motion of them for commercial purposes either. You would still need a release. The only real exceptions (aside from personal use) are for reportage, and sometimes fine art. 

post #164 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

I actually don't think you can use video/motion of them for commercial purposes either. You would still need a release. The only real exceptions (aside from personal use) are for reportage, and sometimes fine art (which applies to still or motion equally). 



 

post #165 of 440

I've just received a second pair of DT 1350. To my surprise, I instantly noticed a very slight difference in sound when I tried them. Could it have been burn in ? I doubt about that and opened them. And was surprised to see that the insides of my second pair are substantially different than the first one. I'll post pics after the Rugby Final.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer HDJ-2000, V-Moda M80, Aiaiai TMA-1