Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 446

post #6676 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlin View Post
 

There's no question the 650 is a great value and if $400.00 is your upper limit it is probably still the best option.  It was my favorite for several years.  The reason I think the LCD-2 is an even better value is that it gets you very close to the best out there such as LCD-3, X, etc. but the 650 is not in that league.

 

Well, of course. LCD-2 is the best value in >$1000 cans. But in <$1000, Sennheiser is king, IMO.

post #6677 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

Well, of course. LCD-2 is the best value in >$1000 cans. But in <$1000, Sennheiser is king, IMO.


Can't argue with that.  When the HD800 first came out, the 650 was my main phone and it was not obviously clear to me that the 800 was better across the board.  It was technically better but not musically.

post #6678 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by retskrad View Post

Truth be told, I was never satisfied with the 650's. The LCD2's were everything I wanted the Senns to be. The Audeze'phones have better and smoother bass, mids and treble. I call them "super 650's". They are world class cans at around 1000 bucks.
post #6679 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir38 View Post

Truth be told, I was never satisfied with the 650's. The LCD2's were everything I wanted the Senns to be. The Audeze'phones have better and smoother bass, mids and treble. I call them "super 650's". They are world class cans at around 1000 bucks.

 

Ditto. After HD600, I was a bit let down by HD650. LCD-2 fixed the gap.

post #6680 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

Ditto. After HD600, I was a bit let down by HD650. LCD-2 fixed the gap.



Very interesting.  I had been using the HD600's and liked them quite a bit but got the HD650's about the first day they were available and thought they were a huge improvement over the 600's.  I really appreciated the darker quality.

post #6681 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlin View Post
 

Very interesting.  I had been using the HD600's and liked them quite a bit but got the HD650's about the first day they were available and thought they were a huge improvement over the 600's.  I really appreciated the darker quality.

 

That was my motivation too when I switched to HD650. While I appreciated more "body" in sound, something was lost in the process (overall crispness and precision?).

post #6682 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

That was my motivation too when I switched to HD650. While I appreciated more "body" in sound, something was lost in the process (overall crispness and precision?).


I see you've been a head-fi member since 2003 so you probably remember what a hotly debated issue that was at the time.  Those were basically the two flagship phones then.

post #6683 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlin View Post


I see you've been a head-fi member since 2003 so you probably remember what a hotly debated issue that was at the time.  Those were basically the two flagship phones then.

 

Well, I had my HD600 since that time. But I only had HD650 for 2 months (before I jumped on LCD-2). That tells something, right?

post #6684 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

Well, I had my HD600 since that time. But I only had HD650 for 2 months (before I jumped on LCD-2). That tells something, right?


Yes, you have a lot of self-control!

post #6685 of 6688

So a bit of a back story. HD600 were literally perfect for me for more than 10 years and I was enjoying them immensely starting from a CD player jack and ending up with a good Musical Fidelity stack. Then something happened to my ears (aging?) and HD600 just became a bit bright for my hearing. I've tried everything, even replacing the drivers to no avail. Thought HD650 would become a cure, but no, while being more gentle on my ears, they never achieved the same crispness of HD600.. LCD-2 appeared to be a remedy I was looking for, but I still miss something HD600 was giving to me in my early times (but I don't think it's LCD's fault). I think my ears are just not what they used to be and I'm only 30 now. Hmm... :)

 

I was already told maybe I should see audiologist.


Edited by madwolfa - 10/29/14 at 10:01am
post #6686 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlin View Post
 

Yes, you have a lot of self-control!

 

Nah, I just had some other expensive hobbies to splurge money on in that period. :D

post #6687 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlin View Post
 

Yes, you have a lot of self-control!

 

Nah, I just had some other expensive hobbies to splurge money on in that period. :D

Hear ya on that! Twin turbos, complete suspension, injectors, etc. basically rebuilding my whole diesel truck, photography lenses, camera bodies, and so forth. I am somewhat of an expert on burning thru dollars. Comparatively my audio habit has been rather mundane but yet the most satisfying per dollar spent... Want to spend some green? Get into photography. Awaiting the arrival of the Ragnarok and so it goes.

post #6688 of 6688
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

  Its bass is bottomless and well controlled though, but not the bass monster that a lot make it out to be.

 

Agreed. I didn't hear the earlier LCD-2 models, but that's definitely true of the current revision. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)