or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 389

post #5821 of 7128
EQ has worked pretty well for me. The trick is finding an EQ that is actually good.
post #5822 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowolf51 View Post
 

I meant getting the LCD2's to sound bright without sacrifacing anything else. I know EQ don't work as responsively as it does with other headphones on the LCD2's due to it's design.

post #5823 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

I meant getting the LCD2's to sound bright without sacrifacing anything else. I know EQ don't work as responsively as it does with other headphones on the LCD2's due to it's design.

 

You're always going to have sacrifices to make something sound brighter. If you're increasing the treble, you're making everything else a little more recessed. There isn't any way around that.

 

That is unless you do something to give the effect of brighter sound without affecting the FR, but that would most likely have its own drawbacks (which would most likely be worse if it was even possible).


Edited by Taowolf51 - 12/15/13 at 4:42pm
post #5824 of 7128

If you like the LCD2 but want it a bit brighter, get the LCD3. It's just about perfect to me. 

post #5825 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post
 

If you like the LCD2 but want it a bit brighter, get the LCD3. It's just about perfect to me. 

 

See that's the thing, I've heard/owned the rev.1's, rev.2's and had the LCD3 (2012 pair) in my possession for a short while and I did not find the improvements to warrant and justify the price increase. I have my rev.1's extensively modded to my preference (more treble, more soundstage) but retaining the liquid mid's and badass bass and I prefer it over the LCD3's that I've heard except in the looks department, the wood on the LCD3's are die for.

 

I don't have the cashola in the meantime for the LCD-X which so far looks to be a neutral version of the existing LCD2/3's so I'm just looking for shortcuts to mimic the LCD2's to sound bit more different. 

 

From what I've gathered and read, the post-veil LCD3's were pretty bad and sounded more darker and constrained than the early LCD2 rev.1's. The later batches (currently) are more balanced sounding, bit more improvement in the treble but soundstage is about the same.

 

Then there's reports from this thread that the new thicker LCD2 pads which uses the same memory foam and foam density as the LCD3 pads make the existing LCD2's sound more airy. Again, a good thing in my books for Audeze.

post #5826 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

 

See that's the thing, I've heard/owned the rev.1's, rev.2's and had the LCD3 (2012 pair) in my possession for a short while and I did not find the improvements to warrant and justify the price increase. I have my rev.1's extensively modded to my preference (more treble, more soundstage) but retaining the liquid mid's and badass bass and I prefer it over the LCD3's that I've heard except in the looks department, the wood on the LCD3's are die for.

 

I don't have the cashola in the meantime for the LCD-X which so far looks to be a neutral version of the existing LCD2/3's so I'm just looking for shortcuts to mimic the LCD2's to sound bit more different. 

 

From what I've gathered and read, the post-veil LCD3's were pretty bad and sounded more darker and constrained than the early LCD2 rev.1's. The later batches (currently) are more balanced sounding, bit more improvement in the treble but soundstage is about the same.

 

Then there's reports from this thread that the new thicker LCD2 pads which uses the same memory foam and foam density as the LCD3 pads make the existing LCD2's sound more airy. Again, a good thing in my books for Audeze.

 

I had the LCD2 rev. 2 prior to my LCD3s and could discern no difference in bass at all (and I'm a bit of a bass head too).  Bass is great on both.

 

Yet the LCD3s have nicer, less veiled highs. 

post #5827 of 7128
The only thing thing I could potentially see as making a headphone brighter without real drawbacks is if the thickness of the sound is reduced. That in itself can be a drawback though, so YMMV.

Kinda like the two LCD2s I had. One was leather and one was vegan. They both had the same bass/mid/treble balance (with the slight driver variation), but the vegan sounded slightly tighter, but not as thick/full bodied. It gave me an impression of being brighter, though it honestly wasn't. It was all perception.

LCD2 is known for that chunky/thick/sultry voicing, so making it slimmer and tighter allows the treble to come out a little more, at least to my ears.
post #5828 of 7128
That thicker sound is an trait of the LCD2 sound sig, no chance reducing that without changing the FR completely.
post #5829 of 7128
Well, the vegan pair I had wasn't as thick sounding as the leather one. I compared directly. Still, same level of bass and mids, just less thickness. It wasn't as "fat" sounding. Felt more precise.
post #5830 of 7128

Accually I don't know how to read this one guys. 

post #5831 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

How does one amplify the LCD2 to be brighter? What constitutes a brighter sound out of the LCD2's? EQ and amplification is not the answer, mods is 50/50.


.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 2:46am
post #5832 of 7128
Wasn't the original Asgard known to be somewhat dull on top?
post #5833 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post
 


Shovel some schiit on them. Seriously schiit is kind of bright sounding. I found it added just the right amount of brightness without affecting much else.

+1. The Mjolnir will do the trick.

post #5834 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotrunghieu View Post
 

Accually I don't know how to read this one guys. 

Pretty standard new LCD-2 FR graph, it looks pretty nice.

post #5835 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

+1. The Mjolnir will do the trick.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 2:42am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)