or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 374

post #5596 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

 

 I just need to figure out where I go from here lol

I say go for the new Audez'e X. Well at least that's where I"m headed. Also add the HE-500, it's a really nice phone that can hold its own against the LCD-2.

post #5597 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

I say go for the new Audez'e X. Well at least that's where I"m headed. Also add the HE-500, it's a really nice phone that can hold its own against the LCD-2.

 

Do you find the HE500 to be appreciably different from the LCD-2 so that it wouldn't be like buying the same phone again? 

post #5598 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

 

Do you find the HE500 to be appreciably different from the LCD-2 so that it wouldn't be like buying the same phone again?

Honestly? They're very similar sounding, yet somehow different enough for me to want to keep both. Like two beautiful twins who are slightly different upon close inspection. The longer you own both the more you'll appreciate the subtle differences. They both need a good amount of burn-in and a powerful amp to take control of the drivers (IMHO of course!)

post #5599 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

Honestly? They're very similar sounding, yet somehow different enough for me to want to keep both. Like two beautiful twins who are slightly different upon close inspection. The longer you own both the more you'll appreciate the subtle differences. They both need a good amount of burn-in and a powerful amp to take control of the drivers (IMHO of course!)

 

 

Okay good, that's what I was hoping you'd say. My plan was to end up with both in the near future to at least compare and contrast, and potentially add both to my collection. Your comment is consistent with what I've heard others say, so I'm excited to give them a listen. 

post #5600 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

Wow you must really not be senstive to treble at all. HD700 and Grados are probably the most notorious for stabbing people in the ear with shrieking treble. If I were in your shoes, I would consider myself blessed by the light of the Head-Fi Gods, and  I would get the HD800 and call it end-game.


That would be nice!  Honestly, I do like a forward treble.  Though I recently auditioned the Denon AH-D5000 and found the treble far too harsh (perhaps sibilant, if I'm using that term correctly).  I find my Grados have too much mid-range bloom for all but compressed or poorly recorded music.

 

I have thought of trying out the HD-800 and comparing it to the LCD-2.  Popular consensus is that the LCD-2 is better for electronic/rock/pop music, which is most of what I listen to.  Like most audiophile equipment, there's not going to be an substitute for auditioning.  The trick is learning what to audition.

post #5601 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

... Grados are probably the most notorious for stabbing people in the ear with shrieking treble.

 

Have Grado's really fallen that much out of favor?  I remember when the RS1 was considered to be end game by many... perhaps I'm revealing my age!

post #5602 of 7128

Those must have been horrible, horrible times.

post #5603 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffyElvis View Post
 

 

Have Grado's really fallen that much out of favor?  I remember when the RS1 was considered to be end game by many... perhaps I'm revealing my age!

Yup, they have. I remember very clearly Grados were top dogs and very popular for many years on Head-Fi. Although I was just lurking back then. It's crazy how opinions cycle so fast. One day something reigns supreme and pretty soon everyone is saying it's crap. LOL.

post #5604 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

Those must have been horrible, horrible times.

Not really. If you had been around in 2006, no doubt you would have picked up a Grado and been participating in the appreciation threads like everyone else. It's easy to criticize something in hindsight. The love/hype for Grados was not any less than the HE-400 today.


Edited by M-13 - 10/11/13 at 8:51pm
post #5605 of 7128

If you had been lurking around 2004 or so like I was, SR-60 and 80 (non i's) were extremely common around here and the recommended can for rock and light metal, RS1's were considered top dogs from what I remember and so were the HD580's and the K1k's.

post #5606 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

If you had been lurking around 2004 or so like I was, SR-60 and 80 (non i's) were extremely common around here and the recommended can for rock and light metal, RS1's were considered top dogs from what I remember and so were the HD580's and the K1k's.

I think I started lurking in the summer of 2006, after I purchased the SE530, my first foray into something better than an iBud. I was very interested in Grados, was very close from pulling the trigger on the 325.

post #5607 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffyElvis View Post
 

 

Have Grado's really fallen that much out of favor?  I remember when the RS1 was considered to be end game by many... perhaps I'm revealing my age!

 

I started up here in 2011 and the first headphone I fell in love with (after almost deciding to accept the fact that I was a speaker guy only) was a Grado - the SR80s. I kept hearing people say how they used to be the most popular headphones among head-fi'ers so I started investigating as to what exactly happened. What I found was that objective data became much more prominent than it had been previously and a whole lot of people started getting caught up in the way headphones measured and less on how they sounded. When people didn't have graphs and charts to look at, Grados were very popular....when all the data started pouring in, a large percentage of people turned away from them. It wasn't some huge shift in listening preferences, cause quality headphones have been around for years and years. There are a lot of people who, if they think they aren't supposed to like something, or if they think others will be critical of them for liking something, they will adopt a negative opinion of it. Even Tyll agreed with me that there is a huge problem with people allowing objective data to define their subjective experience with a headphone. 

 

I'm sure others in here will disagree, so let's just put the disclaimer out there that this is my opinion based on my own research into what exactly happened with Grados here...this is an Audez'e thread so let's not start up a Grado or an objective/subjective debate. 

post #5608 of 7128

I sometimes speculate how much the "headfi effect" has on companies like Audeze. They seem well established now, but how much and what kind of percentage of their business did the HF community make up when they first released a headphone? Just curious. 

post #5609 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

Not really. If you had been around in 2006, no doubt you would have picked up a Grado and been participating in the appreciation threads like everyone else. It's easy to criticize something in hindsight. The love/hype for Grados was not any less than the HE-400 today.

 

I'm not criticizing anything in hindsight.  I hate all the Grados except the PS500 today and I would have hated them in 2006.

post #5610 of 7128

The rise of the Planar Magnetic was the death knell for Grado.

I used to own several Grado's the SR80i, 325i, HF2, Alessandro MS1i..  Once I got the LCD 2 I sold em all except for the HF2.


Edited by Viper2005 - 10/12/13 at 6:57pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)