- 13,285 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for movies Last post on 11/20/12 at 3:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help in deciding on an AMP, DAC and headphones for around £1600 Last post on 11/16/12 at 7:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the SRH1840 be good for metal and rock + gaming? Last post on 10/13/12 at 7:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best open headphone for rock and metal? Last post on 1/4/14 at 10:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 335post #5011 of 61515/3/13 at 10:06pmSo do I, but im speaking of the sound, not the looks or prestige.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5012 of 61515/3/13 at 10:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by Chris_Himself
So basically technology only recently caught up to your demand for headphones since then? LOL
2008 was better, it was easier to pick the good gear because we had brand camps, and pretty much the flagship of all of them are good and everybody had a grand ol' time trying to convince each other theirs was better even though they were all pretty balanced in different ways. Now we have orthos vs HD800, while HD650/HD600 and DT880 are just mid-tier solely because of their pricepoints which if you go back and revisit them and gave them an honest listen, you'd probably do alright.
In 2008 I would have never thought my gear would have evolved the way it did.. nor would I become an MOT haha.
The worst mot I have ever come across. Thanks for taking a bunch of my money and sittin on your hands for 6 weeks.post #5013 of 61515/4/13 at 1:13am
I've powered my LCD2's and other LCD2's using nearly all the well-regarded amp's mentioned here MLE is spot on with the sound improvements a 10% subtle improvement here and there. Thing's changed when I received my Marantz PM-32 integrated amp, a night and day difference because not only did this amp give my modded rev.1's a kick in the butt with the sound, but it also offers bass and treble control. What's even more cool is that I haven't run these badasses off speaker taps yet.post #5014 of 61515/4/13 at 2:01am
I still stand by the Magni as a great match for the LCD2's. $99 amp for a $1000 headphone. Theres no rules in this hobby, its all trial and error. But its very easy to get caught up in spending and spending looking for better and better. End of the day, if it sounds good don't fix it. No matter what anyone says.post #5015 of 61515/4/13 at 6:10am
If 10% is a subtle improvement - I'll pay for that all day long.
10% in this hobby is not subtle.. Depending on the headphone, that can be a make or break difference.
The LCD-2 are amp sluts anyway. Now the LCD-3 is a different story.
IMOpost #5016 of 61515/4/13 at 6:14amI think 10% is overstating the differences. In any case, even if it was 10%, you're basically paying an extra $100 for each percentage, when I'm sure most desktop amps already bring you over 90% of their potential sound. Anything after, you're paying for amp colorations and what they do to the LCD2, not what the LCD2 sounds like itself, IMHO.post #5017 of 61515/4/13 at 6:21ampost #5018 of 61515/4/13 at 6:22am
I don't know. HD800 and HE-6 are fickle. And can sound 'drastically' different.
As prep said "LCD-2 is an amp slut."
More importantly the LCD-2's just don't scale as much with gear.post #5019 of 61515/4/13 at 6:23amQuote:
Spot on...post #5020 of 61515/4/13 at 6:24am
Figuratively. If any amp worth their salt gets the LCD2 at a theoretical 90% of their potential (i.e. $100 Magni), and you compare it to a $1000 amp that gets you to 100% of their potential, well then... do I need to do the math for you?
The LCD2 is no HE-6, no HD650, no HD800 in terms of amping.
But people will spew hyperbole just to justify spending so much on gear.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 5/4/13 at 6:28ampost #5021 of 61515/4/13 at 6:26amQuote:
Well yeah - when you never mentioned what your putting a price tag on. To just pull $100 for each percent out your $%$% was very misleading.post #5022 of 61515/4/13 at 6:34ampost #5023 of 61515/4/13 at 6:34amIt wasn't a factual calculation. I'm saying if you start out at 90% with a budget desktop amp like the Magni and end at 100% with some ridiculously expensive amp, the prices/percentages in between aren't that important. It's all gonna be in the realm of 90-100%. You're essentially paying hundreds per percentages.
Why so serious?
In any case, using my Marantz receiver achieved basically the same SQ as SA-31 and Compass 2, barring very slight changes, that tbh aren't even woeth mentioning.
The LCD2 is an amp slut, and will sound good off anything that isn't utter trash.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 5/4/13 at 6:36ampost #5024 of 61515/4/13 at 6:36am
- The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 2 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 22 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 39 seconds ago
- › Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90 45 seconds ago
- › iFi iPurifier and/or Ultra Fi Aubisque USB Filter 1 minute ago
- › Using a subwoofer with headphones, is it a bad idea? 1 minute ago
- › Budget can for movies 1 minute ago
- › Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14] 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Owner's Club / Appreciation /... 3 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude