Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 327

post #4891 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

More bass is misleading. As quality is much more important than quantity, personally speaking.

 

Let's just leave it up to you find the Mad Dog and LCD-2 WAY different, while I find them WAY similar.


Signature and timbre wise Alpha Padded Mad Dog and LCD-2.2 I owned were extremely close.

Granted LCD-2.2 were more refined but nowhere as comfortable. frown.gif

post #4892 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.gheorghe View Post

It is clear from the measurements on innerfidelity, which DarkBeat gave us, that the LCD2 can go lower  and they have a better bass response (from 30 hz square wave measurements), so it's not just about quantity :), and to be clear, the LCD2 doesn't have too much bass (even the fr response shows that).

 

However I have seen a new measurement of the mad dogs here. which look very similar to LCD2:

 

 

 

It was not I who initially said 'more bass', as you can see in the quote, it was DB.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post


Signature and timbre wise Alpha Padded Mad Dog and LCD-2.2 I owned were extremely close.

Granted LCD-2.2 were more refined but nowhere as comfortable. frown.gif

Exactly. 

post #4893 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

 

It was not I who initially said 'more bass', as you can see in the quote, it was DB.

 

 

Exactly. 

Well LCD2 going lower than 100hz could mean it has more bass, but I agree that quantity is not the only thing it brings to the table as the bass response seems to be perfect also, so overall the quality is very good :D

post #4894 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.gheorghe View Post

Well LCD2 going lower than 100hz could mean it has more bass, but I agree that quantity is not the only thing it brings to the table as the bass response seems to be perfect also, so overall the quality is very good :D

I never even put up an argument for the MD bass compared to LCD-2's. 

The LCD-2 has more bass presence, but more importantly has the quality throughout.

post #4895 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post

Can't say I have, impressions here seem to indicate it's a good amp but a little soft, polite and unengaging, the polar opposite of the Mjolnir.

 

Should note there's some other good amps for the LCD2 like the Decware Taboo and Violectric V200, depending on your musical tastes. Haven't heard the Liquid Fire yet, I'd imagine it's pretty amazing too though.

 

Your first description may be a better match for the V200, which is another very good amp, but that's another story.

 

I would say the Soloist sits in the middle as it's nor warm nor bright. It's quite neutral, but very dynamic, airy and engaging with great soundstage. It is smooth in the sense that it doesn't have harshness accross the range, which is as it should be.

post #4896 of 6609

HI guys, first off let me say that i'm new to this forum and hobby. I have a budget of $1000+ to spend on a set of headphones, dac and amp. I am wondering which of these combinations will boast the best sound quality and value for my taste of music.

 

1. LCD2 (used) + O2 + ODAC

2. HD 650 + Violectric V100 + dacport LX

3. AKG Q701 + Violectric V100 + dacport LX

 

Music i listen to: Mostly CD quality mainstream music & electronic from a laptop computer. No Classical and jazz.

 

I'm open to suggestions for other combinations as well, and would really appreciate feedback of those who have heard the LCD2 with the O2 & ODAC.

post #4897 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenleaf7 View Post

HI guys, first off let me say that i'm new to this forum and hobby. I have a budget of $1000+ to spend on a set of headphones, dac and amp. I am wondering which of these combinations will boast the best sound quality and value for my taste of music.

 

1. LCD2 (used) + O2 + ODAC

2. HD 650 + Violectric V100 + dacport LX

3. AKG Q701 + Violectric V100 + dacport LX

 

Music i listen to: Mostly CD quality mainstream music & electronic from a laptop computer. No Classical and jazz.

 

I'm open to suggestions for other combinations as well, and would really appreciate feedback of those who have heard the LCD2 with the O2 & ODAC.

 

Personally I'd go with the best headphones possible, so my preference would be 1.

 

The Schiit Magni and Modi would be another option for an amp and DAC to go with the LCD-2.

post #4898 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenleaf7 View Post

HI guys, first off let me say that i'm new to this forum and hobby. I have a budget of $1000+ to spend on a set of headphones, dac and amp. I am wondering which of these combinations will boast the best sound quality and value for my taste of music.

 

1. LCD2 (used) + O2 + ODAC

2. HD 650 + Violectric V100 + dacport LX

3. AKG Q701 + Violectric V100 + dacport LX

 

Music i listen to: Mostly CD quality mainstream music & electronic from a laptop computer. No Classical and jazz.

 

I'm open to suggestions for other combinations as well, and would really appreciate feedback of those who have heard the LCD2 with the O2 & ODAC.

 

I have owned the majority of those components (and for some of them still do) that you have listed and honestly frankly said I did not like the O2/ODAC combo with the LCD2 at all. This doesn't mean it's a crap combo as you may like it. If you changed the combo to something such as:

 

1. LCD2 + V100 + ODAC 

2. HD650 + O2 + ODAC or Dacport LX.

 

You'll get almost evenly equal refinement of sound from both setups but honestly the HD650 loves tubes and sound very alike the LCD2 just less refined on some levels of sound (not by a lot). The Q701 sounds completely differently to the other two, it is brighter and the only advantage of sound it has over the other two is a wider headstage i.e soundstage. It will also not suit your mentioned music taste at all. So my bid here goes for the LCD2's. If you decide to also listen to jazz or classical, my nod goes to the HD600 which in ways is more neutral sounding than the more laid back HD650.

 

Based on my experience I'd recommend something such as this within $1.5k may/may not include a DAC:

 

1. LCD2 + any old vintage speaker amp with headphone out/V100/200/Soloist/LD VI+/2 channel b22/Mjonir/Matrix Mini - i/ODAC/Ganja(Gungnir)/Ross Martin PCM1794 DAC.

 

2. HD650 + Crack w or w/out Speedball/Sex/LD VI+/V100/200/b22/any of the DV/La Figaro tube amps + mentioned DAC's. There's a few more worth mentioning but it's getting late here and my brain isn't working.


Edited by DefQon - 4/26/13 at 6:04am
post #4899 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenleaf7 View Post

HI guys, first off let me say that i'm new to this forum and hobby. I have a budget of $1000+ to spend on a set of headphones, dac and amp. I am wondering which of these combinations will boast the best sound quality and value for my taste of music.

 

1. LCD2 (used) + O2 + ODAC

2. HD 650 + Violectric V100 + dacport LX

3. AKG Q701 + Violectric V100 + dacport LX

 

Music i listen to: Mostly CD quality mainstream music & electronic from a laptop computer. No Classical and jazz.

 

I'm open to suggestions for other combinations as well, and would really appreciate feedback of those who have heard the LCD2 with the O2 & ODAC.

You might want to consider HE500 as well; it's on par with LCD2 in terms of fidelity, but the price difference means you get much more flexibility with regards to upstream setup.

post #4900 of 6609

As DefQon mentions, HD650 + OTL amp works extremely well.

 

 

KP

post #4901 of 6609
Headphones will be the most important part of the setup, so a higher end headphone will bring the most improvement. LCD2 sounds good off basically anything, so that would be my choice.

As Jerg said, the HE500, like the LCD2 is pretty high end-ish and not so hard to drive, and gives you some headroom for better sources/amps.

Maybe HE500 + NFB 11.32? That would give the HE500 some good power behind it too (about two watts at their impedance) and the 11.32 uses the ESP9018 sabre dacs used in super high end gear.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/26/13 at 1:20pm
post #4902 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

You might want to consider HE500 as well; it's on par with LCD2 in terms of fidelity, but the price difference means you get much more flexibility with regards to upstream setup.

+1 

 

Plus the HE500 are a little more eclectic in regards to music genre. I also wouldn't rule out the AKG flagships, I thought they were very good with electronic. They provide big atmospherics and speed but are a little shy in bass slam compared to the orthos. But they are great for most mainstream music. Compared to the 650's on anything but a great OTL amp they are better all round imo.  

post #4903 of 6609

+1 for HE-500

 

LCD-2 is a very special phone, and gives a lot of pleasure to the listener, but the HE-500 is the better all rounder. It's more neutral. The upper-mids are not recessed and it will be more compatible with more genres of music. Get the Emotiva Mini-X if you feel adventurous! wink.gif

post #4904 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

+1 for HE-500

 

LCD-2 is a very special phone, and gives a lot of pleasure to the listener, but the HE-500 is the better all rounder. It's more neutral. The upper-mids are not recessed and it will be more compatible with more genres of music. Get the Emotiva Mini-X if you feel adventurous! wink.gif


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 10:18pm
post #4905 of 6609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

The he-500 is the better all rounder but if your collection is mostly electronic music then the lcd-2 is way better. 

"Way better" is quite the hyperbole.

 

LCD2 has the better bass, both headphones have comparably great midrange, while HE500 has a lead on treble.

 

Both have great separation, neither is superb at soundstaging, and HE500 has a more open wide sound, just as LCD2 has a more focused deep sound.

 

Electronic music isn't just all bass, it's also big on the treble and staging, and midrange is also relevant; in that regard then it's up to personal preference which headphone has the best aligning attributes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)