Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 302

post #4516 of 6547
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Hmm...Aside from the weight are they more comfortable than the HE 500's?

 

Also, if anyone can asnwer this - I love the subbass rumble of my Denon D5000's, will the LCD 2's give me that same rumble and impact?

Wouldn't say they rumble. to me that's a sound of being muddy really. But the LCD-2's hit hard.

post #4517 of 6547
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Wouldn't say they rumble. to me that's a sound of being muddy really. But the LCD-2's hit hard.

So the bass is really tight? Can anyone compare their bass to the JVC DX1000's?

post #4518 of 6547

I just sent on my Headamp demo pair. Versus my HE-6, the LCD-2 has nicer pads and less clamp, but I dislike the segmented headband. Most of the weight of the headphone is going to be transferred through that too thin headband. If it was uniformly a half inch thick like the pads, the headphone would be incredibly comfortable. 

 

There's more bass on the LCD-2 than the HE-6, but I don't believe it's as much as the old closed Denons. The LCD-2 bass should be much quicker and with less midrange bleed though.

post #4519 of 6547
Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post

That sounds like the best advice of all! I did not think of using EQ as I typically have really never used it over the years listening to loud speakers (no headphones) but may try that. At any rate I am not bummed with these LCD2.2's at all did not want to give that impression just would like some more treble extension and sparkle that's all... Really I can live with 'em just fine the way they are if it comes down to it. Is that the benefit to the 3's? More detail and sparkle in the highs? I have often wondered what it was about the 3's that made them $1000 better...

 

In my short time listening to the 3's, it was apparent that no amount of EQ'ing the 2's would = the 3's.

IMO the 3's seems to breathe faster and hence offer better transparency, detail retrieval etc. They are clearly a step up from the 2's. If youve got the cash, splash it.

 

Until i upgrade my cable, ive resorted to bumping up ever so slightly the EQ of the 2's in the upper ranges. Works for me.

post #4520 of 6547

The LCD2's is heavily baffled dampened and that is the way it is, there is no way of eq'ing the sound to make any more much of an improvement only a small amount to the way it already is.

 

The D5k have more sub-bass than the LCD2's but it is not articulated well just loosely there. The LCD2's drop lower and punches stronger being more tight and coherent for what it is.

post #4521 of 6547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

The LCD2's is heavily baffled dampened and that is the way it is, there is no way of eq'ing the sound to make any more much of an improvement only a small amount to the way it already is.

 

The D5k have more sub-bass than the LCD2's but it is not articulated well just loosely there. The LCD2's drop lower and punches stronger being more tight and coherent for what it is.

Actually the LCD-2s have more sub-bass:

 

See the roll off on the D5000s in comparison:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD5000B2012.pdf

vs.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf

 

The 30Hz square wave plots are also substantially better on the LCD-2s, likely why their bass is so much more articulated. 

post #4522 of 6547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

The LCD2's is heavily baffled dampened and that is the way it is, there is no way of eq'ing the sound to make any more much of an improvement only a small amount to the way it already is.

 

The D5k have more sub-bass than the LCD2's but it is not articulated well just loosely there. The LCD2's drop lower and punches stronger being more tight and coherent for what it is.

Fair enough. It's a shame there's nowhere in Sydney to audition a pair...

post #4523 of 6547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Actually the LCD-2s have more sub-bass:

 

See the roll off on the D5000s in comparison:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD5000B2012.pdf

vs.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf

 

The 30Hz square wave plots are also substantially better on the LCD-2s, likely why their bass is so much more articulated. 

Well most people will tend to hear it by there ears subjectively than look at the FR objectively. I get confused between mid-bass and sub-bass.

post #4524 of 6547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Actually the LCD-2s have more sub-bass:

 

See the roll off on the D5000s in comparison:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD5000B2012.pdf

vs.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf

 

The 30Hz square wave plots are also substantially better on the LCD-2s, likely why their bass is so much more articulated. 

Subjectively D5000s have a LOT more sub-bass, though. This is mainly because 1) there's a ton more sub-bass harmonic distortion with D5000 so all of that adds on top of the base sound, and 2) there is a significant upward tilt toward the lower~sub-bass, meaning it is in fact emphasized.

 

The roll-off below 20 Hz with D5000 doesn't matter, what you experience as "rumble" in music is mostly between 20-50 Hz, and that's where it counts.

post #4525 of 6547

I actually find the HE series much more comfortable. Mostly due to the headband, but the LCD's angled pads pressed against my head in a strange way, too (not clamping pressure).

 

They're both heavy, but I thought the HE series has better weight distribution. Although the LCD headphones can be improved via the old style foam headband.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Hmm...Aside from the weight are they more comfortable than the HE 500's?

 

Also, if anyone can asnwer this - I love the subbass rumble of my Denon D5000's, will the LCD 2's give me that same rumble and impact?

post #4526 of 6547
Those graphs say nothing. The D7000 has MUCH more sub bass than the LCD2. Not a comparison...at all.

If the LCD2 is a 7, the D7000 is a 10 in sub bass presence. If you look at the TH900's graphs, that actually paints a picture as to how the D7000 'sounds' like, more than it's own graphs, IMHO.



Probably even more sub bass presence than the TH900 graph's show. The impressions when compared have mentioned the D7000 having even more presence in the bass than the TH900, so...yeah.

The D7000 has sub bass basically all the time, where the LCD2 has it when it's called for.

The LCD2 has fantastic bass, but it pales in comparison to the Denon's presence in bass. I mean... if you listen to them, it's unquestionable. Of course, I'm talking about the stock Denon, not some modded Denons that will reduce bass and alter it's frequency response. I surely wouldn't ever mod the D7000. I loved them just as they were. If I wanted something linear, I'd get something else. Never understood why people purposefully bought bassy headphones just to remove what makes them what they are.

Like getting a pair of HD800's and spending hundreds more to make them basshead cans. Doesn't make sense to me, but to each their own.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 4/8/13 at 9:34pm
post #4527 of 6547

HD800 as a basshead can..hmmm...good idea.

post #4528 of 6547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Those graphs say nothing. The D7000 has MUCH more sub bass than the LCD2. Not a comparison...at all.

If the LCD2 is a 7, the D7000 is a 10 in sub bass presence. If you look at the TH900's graphs, that actually paints a picture as to how the D7000 'sounds' like, more than it's own graphs, IMHO.



Probably even more sub bass presence than the TH900 graph's show. The impressions when compared have mentioned the D7000 having even more presence in the bass than the TH900, so...yeah.

The D7000 has sub bass basically all the time, where the LCD2 has it when it's called for.

The LCD2 has fantastic bass, but it pales in comparison to the Denon's presence in bass. I mean... if you listen to them, it's unquestionable. Of course, I'm talking about the stock Denon, not some modded Denons that will reduce bass and alter it's frequency response. I surely wouldn't ever mod the D7000. I loved them just as they were. If I wanted something linear, I'd get something else. Never understood why people purposefully bought bassy headphones just to remove what makes them what they are.

Like getting a pair of HD800's and spending hundreds more to make them basshead cans. Doesn't make sense to me, but to each their own.

I actually completely agree with you on that one. Denon's defining characteristic is the bass presence; if you don't like that why modify it? It's not as if they really do anything that special in the mids or highs.

post #4529 of 6547
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

I actually completely agree with you on that one. Denon's defining characteristic is the bass presence; if you don't like that why modify it? It's not as if they really do anything that special in the mids or highs.

Good question, you should ask all those folks out there dropping $800-1000 getting there D7k Lawton modded to get there D7k mess "refined"

post #4530 of 6547
D7K a mess? Please... just because it doesn't suit your golden ears doesn't make it a mess. It's the most refined basshead can I've heard. Don't know what you're expecting. rolleyes.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)