Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 286

post #4276 of 6596
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvadeum View Post

Fair enough. I just want the most natural (as in sounds like real-life) sound for vocals and trumpets. Some people say the LCD is more natural and others say the HE 500.

I wouldnt say one sounds more "natural" than the other.  they are both excellent and its a matter of personal preference IMO

post #4277 of 6596

I recall some saying the HE-500 treble is a bit bright tilted? While the LCD2's treble is very smooth, sometimes bit syrupy but in a nice way but yeah it is pretty natural.

post #4278 of 6596
Unless you get the vegan lcd2. Nothing syrupy about it's treble. Its quite well extended, though sometimes it's brighter than I'd like. Some regions of the treble are sibilant. Never had that problem with the leather LCD2.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/25/13 at 12:08am
post #4279 of 6596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

I recall some saying the HE-500 treble is a bit bright tilted? While the LCD2's treble is very smooth, sometimes bit syrupy but in a nice way but yeah it is pretty natural.

No LCD2's treble is a bit harder-sounding than HE500's. Both are warm, with HE500 having a tad more treble quantity. That has nothing to do with how smooth the treble is however.

 

HE500s are reputed to have some of the smoothest-sounding trebles around, possibly too smooth. Very forgiving without being recessed.


Edited by jerg - 3/25/13 at 12:06am
post #4280 of 6596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Unless you get the vegan lcd2. Nothing syrupy about it's treble. Its quite well extended, though sometimes it's brighter than I'd like. Some regions of the treble are sibilant. Never had that problem with the leather LCD2.

Yeah haven't heard vegan LCD2's, only countless older rosewood rev.2's and rev.1's. I don't find anything about my LCD's bright at all nor the rev.2's I have heard. Haven't heard any of the latest plastic connector LCD2's so it could be a slight change in sound with the latest rev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

No LCD2's treble is a bit harder-sounding than HE500's. Both are warm, with HE500 having a tad more treble quantity. That has nothing to do with how smooth the treble is however.

 

HE500s are reputed to have some of the smoothest-sounding trebles around, possibly too smooth. Very forgiving without being recessed.

 

I don't recall the HE-500's treble being warm at all at least the last time I gave it a 20 minute demo which I found not to be my liking at all, hard to say if it had more treble quantity or not but it was powered by some crappy audio-gd amp running off balanced.

post #4281 of 6596

I'd call the entire HE500 signature warm, thus making the treble warm sounding. It was never cold or clinical.

post #4282 of 6596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Yeah haven't heard vegan LCD2's, only countless older rosewood rev.2's and rev.1's. I don't find anything about my LCD's bright at all nor the rev.2's I have heard. Haven't heard any of the latest plastic connector LCD2's so it could be a slight change in sound with the latest rev.

 

I don't recall the HE-500's treble being warm at all at least the last time I gave it a 20 minute demo which I found not to be my liking at all, hard to say if it had more treble quantity or not but it was powered by some crappy audio-gd amp running off balanced.

Being compared to HE500 as a warm can, would you say that LCD 2 becomes warmer when paired to shall i say tube amp like woo audio wa6 se, and may not be a good partner when combined together? Because tube amp was suppose to be warm IMO. I don't know....


Edited by apollo11 - 3/25/13 at 8:43am
post #4283 of 6596
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I'd call the entire HE500 signature warm, thus making the treble warm sounding. It was never cold or clinical.

 

Yup...  Warm and smooth

post #4284 of 6596

How warm the HE500 sounds depends on the amp/dac.  I've heard it sound both warm and slightly, smoothly bright out of different associated gear.  The LCD2, however, sounded warm and natural no matter what I plugged it in.  Only the degree of warmth changed to sounding closer to neutral or darker.

post #4285 of 6596
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I'd call the entire HE500 signature warm, thus making the treble warm sounding. It was never cold or clinical.

Agree. Even too warm, personally.

post #4286 of 6596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

No LCD2's treble is a bit harder-sounding than HE500's. Both are warm, with HE500 having a tad more treble quantity. That has nothing to do with how smooth the treble is however.

 

HE500s are reputed to have some of the smoothest-sounding trebles around, possibly too smooth. Very forgiving without being recessed.

Completely agree. I've a/b'd them countless times examining the treble and the LCD2.2's do in fact have a more edgy, textured treble. It's not grainy, but it maybe resembles normal dynamic drivers more than the Hifimans. You can clearly hear this with electric guitar and violins for e.g. The HE500's on the other hand have a brighter top end but this is very smooth. Lovely with strings but they are still gonna be more fatiguing with trumpets and sax however, because no matter how smooth they are- bright is bright! 

post #4287 of 6596
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Completely agree. I've a/b'd them countless times examining the treble and the LCD2.2's do in fact have a more edgy, textured treble. It's not grainy, but it maybe resembles normal dynamic drivers more than the Hifimans. You can clearly hear this with electric guitar and violins for e.g. The HE500's on the other hand have a brighter top end but this is very smooth. Lovely with strings but they are still gonna be more fatiguing with trumpets and sax however, because no matter how smooth they are- bright is bright! 

And that's where pad-fi and cable-fi kick in. Hah.

 

For those of us who like modding and tinkering, HE500 is just a more suitable headphone; it is cheaper, has an inherently airier brighter sound, has close to no damping factor in stock form, just perfect for some incremental modifications to tweak the sound (in my case I tried to push its airiness as well as its upper end tonality to the limits with earpad and grill modifications).

 

LCD2 on the other hand is much more carefully damped already, and starts off with a less airy and a darker sound, that is by default easy to mess up if you heedlessly play around with it.


Edited by jerg - 3/25/13 at 1:15pm
post #4288 of 6596

What would be the best place to buy the LCD-2s online? Free shipping is a must, as well as a good warranty from the site. These recommendations are for my friend who lives in West Pennsylvania, not me. I just bought mine in a local shop.

post #4289 of 6596
Communicate w/Justin:
http://www.headamp.com/
post #4290 of 6596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advent75 View Post

Communicate w/Justin:
http://www.headamp.com/

Alright, sending him an email now.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)