- 13,285 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for movies Last post on 11/20/12 at 3:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help in deciding on an AMP, DAC and headphones for around £1600 Last post on 11/16/12 at 7:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the SRH1840 be good for metal and rock + gaming? Last post on 10/13/12 at 7:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best open headphone for rock and metal? Last post on 1/4/14 at 10:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Summary I've had these for about a week now, and I have to say I like them more each day. At first I was rather worried about purchasing them, because other reviews were saying that the bass...
The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 278post #4156 of 61513/9/13 at 12:08pmNot the softest velour I've owned, but it's certainly not what I'd say firm. More comfy than the Hifiman velours at least.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4157 of 61513/9/13 at 12:11pmQuote:
I was asking about foam inside the pads, not velour. Thanks.post #4158 of 61513/9/13 at 12:11pm
not sure, but Audeze might use the same non-leather pads for both the LCD-2 and LCD-3, and they do feel softer overall than the regular LCD-2 pads. They are more like a fake suede than a velour if i rememberpost #4159 of 61513/9/13 at 12:12pmpost #4160 of 61513/9/13 at 12:17pmpost #4161 of 61513/9/13 at 12:22pmpost #4162 of 61513/9/13 at 12:46pmpost #4163 of 61513/9/13 at 5:49pm
Oh the leather vs vegan topic. Following undue laziness I have decided to post my impressions comparing the two below. This is probably going to be the reverse experience to most. By accident my new LCD 2.2 headphones came with vegan pads, which was NOT what I originally ordered. Eventually the dealer sorted this out and I also received a free set of leather pads and headband, in due time, a few weeks later.
I was clearly biased towards leather as I just didn't have any preference for the the vegan look. They have also never inspired me with tons of confidence, especially being described and issued as patch work for comfort.
So the very first LCD 2.2 experience for me was with vegan pads. I knew no better and I enjoyed them tremendously. Nevertheless I continued to follow my bias and eventually got my leather pads/headband. For this assessment my setup was using the V200 amp and/or Burson Conductor amp/DAC fed from USB. I studied the pads swap video diligently but in the end it was much simpler. I actually never needed to use the extra glue pads provided. The original glue is strong and still does the job after multiple swaps back and forth.
Let me tackle the comfort issue first. With the LCD2.2/vegan for hours on my head, I started to wonder what the heck are some people going on about on comfort issues. From new I had no hint of discomfort. My other pairs at the time were the HD650s and Beyer T1s. Besides being heavier and that's fair enough, the LCD-2s provided me with similar comfort for hours on end.
Now moving onto the SQ part. I have read previous reviews ranging from stating no sound difference between vegan and leather to outright differences leaning towards each side. Clear as mud.
Being well used to the sound of the vegan pads, I changed to the leather pads and started going through my usual comparison playlist which contains tracks ranging from classical to metal and from electronic to acoustic. I have to be honest right here. My first impression was that of a man who lost three pounds and found a quid. Nevertheless I carried on unabided through multiple swaps and thus the summary below.
My findings are:
+ better seal to the skin. This results into slightly more bass mass and extension.
- the leather pads seem to create some unwanted reflexions. There is resonance and I am not pleased with it as I don't think this comes from the music.
- less air and more confined sound
- slightly reduced soundstage (linked to the + point I guess)
- very obvious pressure points which are mildly painful at times without changing position
+ more natural sounding
+ more air and open sound
+ slightly better soundstage
+ superior comfort
- slightly less bass
- quality feel doesn't inspire a lot of long term confidence
- attract dust and more difficult to clean
I love the leather headband by the way! Thus my current LCD2.2 setup is vegan pads + leather headband.
Edited by negura - 3/9/13 at 6:07pmpost #4164 of 61513/9/13 at 6:48pmQuote:I love the leather headband by the way! Thus my current LCD2.2 setup is vegan pads + leather headband.
Ha-ha, that was my first thought after looking at Mud Lust Envy picture, how great vegan will look with leather headband.
If Audeze is not addressing ergonomic in the next version, my next pair will have vegan pads for sure.post #4165 of 61513/9/13 at 7:22pmQuote:
and anticipating this is why last week i ordered a few vegan pad sets :)post #4166 of 61513/9/13 at 7:28pmIf the vegan has less bass than tbe leather, it sure could fool me, because these vegan LCD2s are hitting stupid hard in the bass. Like, almost like if it was emphasized, though it can't be as mids are just as forward...
I do agree on more air, less congestion though. I want to message whomever has the bamboo lcd2 Justin currently loaned out, and ask them to post a pic of the graph that came with the headphones. I swear mine is more flat/neutral sounding, and less blanketed towards warmth.post #4167 of 61513/9/13 at 11:38pmpost #4168 of 61513/9/13 at 11:47pmAudio GD Compass 2 dac/amp. Sabre es9018 dac chip, and the amp section provides 2 watts at the LCD2's 50ohm impedance.
Just threw the stand on there real quick for a quick pic. Looks dusty. Time to clean, flash shows everything, hahaha.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/9/13 at 11:48pmpost #4169 of 61513/9/13 at 11:50pmQuote:
Any thoughts about the ability of the Schiit Bifrost/Asgard combo in terms of driving the LCD 2.2 ? I got the LCDs last week and will be getting the Q-silk cable this week.post #4170 of 61513/9/13 at 11:53pmThe LCD2 is actually pretty easy to drive. Doesn't need much to sound good. I feel the Asgard is better suited for higher impedance headphones and not planar magnetics, based on specs, but the sound signature will probably match well with the LCD2. I say this, because planar magnetics are known to take I. A lot of power. The Asgard won't be feeding it a ton of power relative to what it can handle.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/9/13 at 11:56pm
- The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Good Cans for $300? Mad Dogs? 15 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 34 seconds ago
- › How important is the Holy Grail of perfect sound really? 52 seconds ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Tube amp? 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 4 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M* dacs, New amp section. Coming... 5 minutes ago
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude