- 14,974 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 7/26/12
Related Forum Threads
- Who else suffers from very little usable range on the volume knob? Last post on 2/10/15 at 8:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is the LCD-2 worth the $1k price? Last post on 2/24/15 at 9:07pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Asgard 2 dynamic range compression in high gain mode? Last post on 10/1/14 at 9:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Newbie Amp/DAC/Headphone Advice Last post on 12/13/14 at 8:10pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Ordered new Audeze LCD 2s, expected 2.2s got 2.3s!!! Last post on 8/7/14 at 8:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
I bought this in october. I agree with other reviewers, the sound is definitely value for money you can read other reviews for that. However, the build quality is terrible. I took good...
"Low cost champion", "Best in it's own way"... i love the way how things work in this earphone business :) however, please do not worry, vaziyetu here to correct things (again). first of all,...
The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 278post #4156 of 68303/9/13 at 12:08pmNot the softest velour I've owned, but it's certainly not what I'd say firm. More comfy than the Hifiman velours at least.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4157 of 68303/9/13 at 12:11pmQuote:
I was asking about foam inside the pads, not velour. Thanks.post #4158 of 68303/9/13 at 12:11pm
not sure, but Audeze might use the same non-leather pads for both the LCD-2 and LCD-3, and they do feel softer overall than the regular LCD-2 pads. They are more like a fake suede than a velour if i rememberpost #4159 of 68303/9/13 at 12:12pmYeah, it's definitely suede-ish, my bad.
Andrew, it's pretty plushy. Not much pressure with the hands to push them down, so I'd say not really firm.post #4160 of 68303/9/13 at 12:17pmpost #4161 of 68303/9/13 at 12:22pmpost #4162 of 68303/9/13 at 12:46pmpost #4163 of 68303/9/13 at 5:49pm
Oh the leather vs vegan topic. Following undue laziness I have decided to post my impressions comparing the two below. This is probably going to be the reverse experience to most. By accident my new LCD 2.2 headphones came with vegan pads, which was NOT what I originally ordered. Eventually the dealer sorted this out and I also received a free set of leather pads and headband, in due time, a few weeks later.
I was clearly biased towards leather as I just didn't have any preference for the the vegan look. They have also never inspired me with tons of confidence, especially being described and issued as patch work for comfort.
So the very first LCD 2.2 experience for me was with vegan pads. I knew no better and I enjoyed them tremendously. Nevertheless I continued to follow my bias and eventually got my leather pads/headband. For this assessment my setup was using the V200 amp and/or Burson Conductor amp/DAC fed from USB. I studied the pads swap video diligently but in the end it was much simpler. I actually never needed to use the extra glue pads provided. The original glue is strong and still does the job after multiple swaps back and forth.
Let me tackle the comfort issue first. With the LCD2.2/vegan for hours on my head, I started to wonder what the heck are some people going on about on comfort issues. From new I had no hint of discomfort. My other pairs at the time were the HD650s and Beyer T1s. Besides being heavier and that's fair enough, the LCD-2s provided me with similar comfort for hours on end.
Now moving onto the SQ part. I have read previous reviews ranging from stating no sound difference between vegan and leather to outright differences leaning towards each side. Clear as mud.
Being well used to the sound of the vegan pads, I changed to the leather pads and started going through my usual comparison playlist which contains tracks ranging from classical to metal and from electronic to acoustic. I have to be honest right here. My first impression was that of a man who lost three pounds and found a quid. Nevertheless I carried on unabided through multiple swaps and thus the summary below.
My findings are:
+ better seal to the skin. This results into slightly more bass mass and extension.
- the leather pads seem to create some unwanted reflexions. There is resonance and I am not pleased with it as I don't think this comes from the music.
- less air and more confined sound
- slightly reduced soundstage (linked to the + point I guess)
- very obvious pressure points which are mildly painful at times without changing position
+ more natural sounding
+ more air and open sound
+ slightly better soundstage
+ superior comfort
- slightly less bass
- quality feel doesn't inspire a lot of long term confidence
- attract dust and more difficult to clean
I love the leather headband by the way! Thus my current LCD2.2 setup is vegan pads + leather headband.
Edited by negura - 3/9/13 at 6:07pmpost #4164 of 68303/9/13 at 6:48pmQuote:I love the leather headband by the way! Thus my current LCD2.2 setup is vegan pads + leather headband.
Ha-ha, that was my first thought after looking at Mud Lust Envy picture, how great vegan will look with leather headband.
If Audeze is not addressing ergonomic in the next version, my next pair will have vegan pads for sure.post #4165 of 68303/9/13 at 7:22pmQuote:
and anticipating this is why last week i ordered a few vegan pad sets :)post #4166 of 68303/9/13 at 7:28pmIf the vegan has less bass than tbe leather, it sure could fool me, because these vegan LCD2s are hitting stupid hard in the bass. Like, almost like if it was emphasized, though it can't be as mids are just as forward...
I do agree on more air, less congestion though. I want to message whomever has the bamboo lcd2 Justin currently loaned out, and ask them to post a pic of the graph that came with the headphones. I swear mine is more flat/neutral sounding, and less blanketed towards warmth.post #4167 of 68303/9/13 at 11:38pmpost #4168 of 68303/9/13 at 11:47pmAudio GD Compass 2 dac/amp. Sabre es9018 dac chip, and the amp section provides 2 watts at the LCD2's 50ohm impedance.
Just threw the stand on there real quick for a quick pic. Looks dusty. Time to clean, flash shows everything, hahaha.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/9/13 at 11:48pmpost #4169 of 68303/9/13 at 11:50pmQuote:
Any thoughts about the ability of the Schiit Bifrost/Asgard combo in terms of driving the LCD 2.2 ? I got the LCDs last week and will be getting the Q-silk cable this week.post #4170 of 68303/9/13 at 11:53pmThe LCD2 is actually pretty easy to drive. Doesn't need much to sound good. I feel the Asgard is better suited for higher impedance headphones and not planar magnetics, based on specs, but the sound signature will probably match well with the LCD2. I say this, because planar magnetics are known to take I. A lot of power. The Asgard won't be feeding it a ton of power relative to what it can handle.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/9/13 at 11:56pm
- The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Band Name Game II 24 seconds ago
- › The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread 34 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Senn HD650 with sparkle and sharp punchy bass 2 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Open-Back Headphones - Sound leakage 4 minutes ago
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2