Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) - Page 251

post #3751 of 6542

Cool

I'll try those things.

Ive used it with different amps and it always seems to just be slightly skewed right.

However one thing that i have noticed is the right ear pad has a bit of crease and it seems to smash down further when being worn or when just a little pressure is applied.

Could this cause it?
I wonder this because when i first got them I thought they were pretty well balanced, but now it always seems slightly right which is where the ear pad is weaker.

700

post #3752 of 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrbington View Post

Cool

I'll try those things.

Ive used it with different amps and it always seems to just be slightly skewed right.

However one thing that i have noticed is the right ear pad has a bit of crease and it seems to smash down further when being worn or when just a little pressure is applied.

Could this cause it?
I wonder this because when i first got them I thought they were pretty well balanced, but now it always seems slightly right which is where the ear pad is weaker.

 

Mine does that and on the same side too. It seems to have softer leather on certain parts of the pads.

post #3753 of 6542

So switching the cable seemed to correct it a little bit.  Now its a tiny tiny bit leaning left, but almost dead center.  my Marantz 2245 is slightly louder in the right channel, but at the same time this issue is much more pronounced when the cans are hooked up properly.

Im thinking either the stereo and imaging of the LCD2 is so much more in depth and present compared to say my HD650 that its confusing my ears and brain.  Probably a combination of the receiver balance being off a tiny bit + the earpad being lower on the right or the right driver itself being ever so slightly louder is making them sound skewed right.

 

either way i love the headphones.  They really are next level compared to my 650s

post #3754 of 6542

Without a dB metre its a crap shoot.

post #3755 of 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

My original LCD-3 was off by 2dB ear to ear.  Sent it in, came back 0dB difference.


 how do you test that?

post #3756 of 6542

dB metre

 

 

I think there is even an app for that ;)

post #3757 of 6542

Conveniently enough a friend of mine just stopped by who is a sound and audio guy.  Mainly recording and mastering but still very experienced.  I had him check em out.  He listened for about 30 minutes.  I didn't mention it at first.  after he was done I asked him to listen again and see if he noticed any channel imbalance, but i didn't not say which side.  He listened for another 20 minutes and said he heard nothing out of place.  But then mentioned that he could see why i might think i hear imbalance.  He said the way they are so defined from L to R, and that humans will naturally gravitate towards different sounds, that I could be hearing something and then focusing on it.  And that after I noticed it once or twice I just couldn't not notice it especially if its in the same music.

 

So, I guess its all in my head.  which makes me feel a little better.

 

Still may get a db meter one of these days.  just to play with in lots of differnt ways

post #3758 of 6542

Easiest way is to focus on the vocal.  It should be locked dead centre.  If it sounds off to one side... imbalance.  But if you buddy couldn't hear it in 10 seconds, its not there.

post #3759 of 6542

when he listened the 2nd time for the imbalance the first thing out his mouth was vocals sound dead center.

post #3760 of 6542

One of the issues with all the above is that apparently you assume that the recording itself is perfectly balanced in the center? While it's true for vocals for the most part, some records I have aren't, how could you know for sure? I think only a mono test tone, perhaps with each side separately plugged in and measured/listened to, would give you some accurate result...

post #3761 of 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

dB metre

 

 

I think there is even an app for that ;)

 

There is, but its nowhere as accurate or repeatable as a good old dB meter.

post #3762 of 6542

OK-so I have a DB meter--where would I place it to get the best most accurate repeatable readings?

 

And what should be playing at the time, as most songs just cause it to constantly fluctuate?

 

Although in my case I think it's my ears as I tend to have slightly reduced hearing in my left ear..

 

But I would like to confirm no channel imbalance in my LCD's as Solude appears to have had

 

Jack

post #3763 of 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrumpyOldMan View Post

One of the issues with all the above is that apparently you assume that the recording itself is perfectly balanced in the center? While it's true for vocals for the most part, some records I have aren't, how could you know for sure? I think only a mono test tone, perhaps with each side separately plugged in and measured/listened to, would give you some accurate result...

This is a good point. 

 

 

 

@jackiedh

I'd think you would want to find 5 or 6 test tones that range across the spectrum  although you probably don't need any 10k or above.

 

Also my intention was not to make people think the LCD2 is imbalanced.  The reason i thought that was probably because i wasn't used to the very good L to R separation and imaging

post #3764 of 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrbington View Post

This is a good point. 

 

 

 

@jackiedh

I'd think you would want to find 5 or 6 test tones that range across the spectrum  although you probably don't need any 10k or above.

 

Also my intention was not to make people think the LCD2 is imbalanced.  The reason i thought that was probably because i wasn't used to the very good L to R separation and imaging

If you trust your own ears, and don't have a dB meter available, then use this (SineGen):

 

http://www.tucows.com/preview/502787

 

And do careful pure-tone sinewave sweeps across 20-20kHz to map if and where there are imbalances between the L and R channels.

post #3765 of 6542

I have a db meter--and I also tend to find vocals slightly skewed to the right of center--but as I stated could just be my hearing issues--

 

Just would like to confirm it's not the LCD's

 

Jack

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)