Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPhone 4S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 4S - Page 3

post #31 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

Actually, there was an announcement about iTunes upgrading to 24bit I think.

 


Take a look at this article (http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/02/itunes-may-upgrade-to-24-bit-files-but-why-bother.ars).

 

post #32 of 187
Quote:


That was actually the article I first heard about the 24bit thing (first thing come up in Google I believe), Hopefully iPhone 5 will have the 24bit DAC

post #33 of 187

24bit is quite significant for digital volume control quality, those who poopoo it clearly do not realize this.

post #34 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post

24bit is quite significant for digital volume control quality, those who poopoo it clearly do not realize this.


 

Really ? eek.gif In what way ? Good or bad ?

post #35 of 187
I just want an iphone with a digital out that doesn't require a 500 dollar addon
post #36 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by azncookiecutter View Post

A5 CPU, 1GB RAM, 8MP Camera, Siri, iOS 5, but nothing much else changed. No iPhone 5. Discuss.

 


Brilliant ! lmao, you took me back to being a student, we had a very stern Japanese teacher who would give us a set of data then bark at us: Discuss ! - which you would do out of fear of death, he was a great teacher. Anyway, does anybody know whether the DAC in the iPhone 4S is Wolfson or Cirrus Logic ?

 

 

 

post #37 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by StargateRecords View Post

 

Brilliant ! lmao, you took me back to being a student, we had a very stern Japanese teacher who would give us a set of data then bark at us: Discuss ! - which you would do out of fear of death, he was a great teacher. Anyway, does anybody know whether the DAC in the iPhone 4S is Wolfson or Cirrus Logic ?

 

 

 

 

I'm going to guess that its still the same, which if I remember correctly is Cirrus Logic
 

 

post #38 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

I'm going to guess that its still the same, which if I remember correctly is Cirrus Logic 

 

 

Cirrus Logic is currently used in the iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone. I know there is a lot more to sound than just the DAC, but without getting into a debate on chips, I prefer the warmer sound of the Wolfson, so I'm hoping it's not the Cirrus Logic DAC. After a quick search, the only info I could find is this out of date article indicating a possible return to Wolfson, but as the iPad 2 uses Cirrus Logic, I'm going to guess that the article by the Economic Daily News of Taiwan is actually incorrect. Oh well, we will know soon enough...

 

 


Edited by StargateRecords - 10/10/11 at 6:50am
post #39 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by azncookiecutter View Post

A5 CPU, 1GB RAM, 8MP Camera, Siri, iOS 5, but nothing much else changed. No iPhone 5. Discuss.



MacRumors has just issued an update on the specifications of the iPhone 4S: the RAM is now thought to be 512 MB rather than 1 GB, the specifications chart on Wikipedia has also been updated with the RAM field now showing 512 MB, but the DAC field is still a blank space...

 


Edited by StargateRecords - 10/10/11 at 9:55am
post #40 of 187

Wikipedia is wrong again, the IP4 doesn't use the same DAC as the 3GS it uses the Cirrus Logic 338S0589 that is actually Apple branded. This Apple branded DAC is much better than the previous Cirrus DACs, even better than the Wolfsons Apple was using as you won't get any rolled-off bass or other artifacts the Wolfsons had. I'm almost certain the 4GS is going to be using the same DAC since the Ipad 2 uses the same one as well. 

post #41 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChavaC View Post

I just want an iphone with a digital out that doesn't require a 500 dollar addon


The people who supply that 500 dollar addon actually paid Apple a hefty sum for the right to do so. Last time I checked, the Pure i-20 cost a lot less than 500 dollars, but I'm sure they also paid Apple big bucks.


Edited by estreeter - 10/12/11 at 3:56pm
post #42 of 187

I plan on getting a 64GB Touch after I get my customs, then an amp for the LOD, then after that I'll see if my ears are still wanting more and try out the CLAS (perhaps at a meet if possible). There's nothing stopping you from returning if you don't like it, distance selling regulations and all that (at least over here).

 

BTW, I AB'ed my mum's Touch 4G vs. my about to be sold 3GS (4S incoming) today and they didn't sound identical, so it'll be interesting to compare the 4S when I get it, although I don't plan on using it for audio. One thing I did notice straight away with the Touch and 3GS was that the latter had some pretty obvious bass roll-off; I always use the subwoofer test track Woofer Cooker which has this ridiculous frequency sweep at the start that goes down to about 20hz and maintains a constant rumble. The 3GS was barely audible while the Touch kept it together all the way to the bottom. The overall sig felt a little different too, although I did this while updating her Touch to iOS 5 and her laptop to iTunes 10.5 so didn't listen for more than 5mins.


Edited by Somnambulist - 10/12/11 at 5:19pm
post #43 of 187

The Touch 4G is my DAP of choice (though it's being replaced by a 4GS soon), but the 3GS is simply better sound-wise imo. The Touch tends to color the sound in the mids and rolls off the treble, 3GS simply has a more reference sort of quality and easily stays on par with a DAP like the J3 whereas the Touch doesn't. The 3GS doesn't have treble roll-off, if nitpicking the region that has roll-off is the treble but not to the extent of the Touch. Cowon and Samsung players have bass roll-offs. 

 

Conducting those sort of test is tricky as you somehow have to find a way to perfectly match them first, the output requirements are quite different on both. 


Edited by Inks - 10/13/11 at 12:18am
post #44 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

The Touch 4G is my DAP of choice (though it's being replaced by a 4GS soon), but the 3GS is simply better sound-wise imo. The Touch tends to color the sound in the mids and rolls off the treble, 3GS simply has a more reference sort of quality and easily stays on par with a DAP like the J3 whereas the Touch doesn't. The 3GS doesn't have treble roll-off, if nitpicking the region that has roll-off is the treble but not to the extent of the Touch. Cowon and Samsung players have bass roll-offs. 

 

Conducting those sort of test is tricky as you somehow have to find a way to perfectly match them first, the output requirements are quite different on both. 


Where did you hear of that? Apple just updated the iPod Touch (introduced a white model).

 

post #45 of 187

No it's being replaced for me. I'm possibly replacing my 4G Touch with a 4GS. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPhone 4S