Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPhone 4S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 4S - Page 2

post #16 of 187

Memegenerator is finally back online atsmile.gif

24 bit dac.jpg

post #17 of 187
Joke?

The A5 is a serious chip, it has more RAM, the camera looks terrific, and the iPhone 4's form factor is my favorite so far. It should be an excellent phone.

If it weren't for the contract, I'd get one. I especially like the camera. Apple is taking aim at the point'n'shoot market. In a few years, I would not be surprised i the majority of cameras are cellphones with a DSLR market for the serious.

A major update will come next year, which makes sense. A lot of users are on contract still and won't upgrade. Plus it looks like Microsoft will make a major push for WP7/Windows 8 in 2012. Apple will roll out iOS 6 plus a killer iPhone and iPad. They'll flatten Microsoft. Assuming Microsoft can release on schedule.

Also smart is dropping the 3GS to free and the 4 to $99, plus adding Sprint. Those should get a lot more people onto the platform.

Yes, I was a little disappointed not to get something really sexy, but the 4S looks like a solid upgrade to the 4.

As for a bigger screen, I'm not entirely sure I want one. The iPhone screen is just right for typing and using with one hand. The bigger screens I've tried are uncomfortable for typing and cannot be used with one hand. I'd like a thinner and lighter one, though.
post #18 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Joke?
The A5 is a serious chip, it has more RAM, the camera looks terrific, and the iPhone 4's form factor is my favorite so far. 


X2, the A5 got some sweet score in benchmarks. Although I am disappointed with DAC section because I though it would support 24bit.

post #19 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

No 24bit DAC ? What happened to that ? blink.gif


iPhone 6 wink.gif
post #20 of 187

having had an iphone 4 and shifted to wp7 i think the only way microsoft would get flattened would be through lack of people wanting to pick up and try they're platform.   The OS is just so incredibly slick and pleasing.

 

As for iphone, the phone will be outdated in 2 months (starting with the prime a week http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/05/samsung-teases-next-weeks-unpacked-offers-a-momentary-glance/), god forbid anyone picks up a 2 year contract on this thing, by the time your out your contract you would essentially have a 3 1/2 to 4 year old form factor.

post #21 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by stozzer123 View Post

having had an iphone 4 and shifted to wp7 i think the only way microsoft would get flattened would be through lack of people wanting to pick up and try they're platform.   The OS is just so incredibly slick and pleasing.

 

As for iphone, the phone will be outdated in 2 months (starting with the prime a week http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/05/samsung-teases-next-weeks-unpacked-offers-a-momentary-glance/), god forbid anyone picks up a 2 year contract on this thing, by the time your out your contract you would essentially have a 3 1/2 to 4 year old form factor.


True. Give the WP7 a chance and it will mature. 

 

post #22 of 187

The danger is, like the Zune and other mobile phone platforms before it, MS will suddenly decide to can WP7. I do think that it has the potential to be a viable competitor and not the typical circus of mediocre crap Android has been.

 

From when the iPhone 4 came out, I stopped using my video camera as I could get decent HD video with the iPhone. Any improvements in photography and video are welcome to me, especially with iOS 5 fixing a number of issues.

post #23 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

The danger is, like the Zune and other mobile phone platforms before it, MS will suddenly decide to can WP7. I do think that it has the potential to be a viable competitor and not the typical circus of mediocre crap Android has been.


Hey!! mad.gif Don't bully the little guys. As we speak, they're taking over the world. very_evil_smiley.gif

 

post #24 of 187
Agree wm7 is quite slick. However, don't get carried away with specs on these new wonderful hi tech phones. It's what and how you use them. Where Apple wins in the combination of tightly integrated software with the hardware. Look how long before it brought out copy and paste.

Also, ask yourself what is important. Do you need the latest chip, what does it do for you. An iPhone has the sound advantage of the line out dock. Is that not worth a lot. And even though I wanted a new iPhone form factor, in reality the current size is fantastic for the public at large. People don't want 4 inch plus phones in their pockets, geeks do though.

The 4S offers a Apple designed chip which provides great speed enhancements, and importantly good battery life. Siri voice assistant which is very slick. Cards. iCloud - apps, docs plus changes, books, films, contacts, reminders, music , backups and photos all syncing with all your devices wirelessly and automatically. A 8mp camera with decent optics, image stabiliser, up to 64gb, AirPlay which with an Apple TV is awesome, plus iOS 5 which has over 200 new features, some really significant. I have the iOS 5 GM installed on my 4, and the difference is like a new handset. Very impressive.
post #25 of 187

i think that the strong point of the iphone has always been that they have the dedicated audio circuitry of a dap with a decent DSP and amp. and playback time being a secundary point.

 

In most other smartphones music and video playback is featuer provided by an add on app. while in the iphone its one of the core components.

and you notice it in the sound quality and playback time.

 

If they could just put a microUSB and get rid of itunes. i´d buy one tommorow.

post #26 of 187

I am a little disapointed there is no new form factor but overall its a great phone. I am debating whether to get it now or wait until the iPhone 5 comes out in June of next year and I think I will wait as next year it will be better than ever.

post #27 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntodd View Post

I am a little disapointed there is no new form factor but overall its a great phone. I am debating whether to get it now or wait until the iPhone 5 comes out in June of next year and I think I will wait as next year it will be better than ever.


Wait for it.. The iPhone 5 will perhaps be more revolutionary then evolutionary. 

 

post #28 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp View Post

Wait for it.. The iPhone 5 will perhaps be more revolutionary then evolutionary. 

 



24 bit DAC FTW L3000.gif

post #29 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parall3l View Post

24 bit DAC FTW L3000.gif


Doubt that but it's what I said to the wishing well.

 

post #30 of 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp View Post

Doubt that but it's what I said to the wishing well.

 


Actually, there was an announcement about iTunes upgrading to 24bit I think.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPhone 4S