Hey guys, after reading a ton of reviews on headphones, the issue of an amp comes up. I just have no idea what to get or how to research it. The two headphones above are the two that I would be using on it. I put the thread on full size as that's what I'm most likely to get, but really have no clue where to look. I guess I'd just like recommendations on where to start and what to look at concerning specific amps. Style is a nice touch, but price is a bigger issue. No clue where they run and what I would want. Can speakers be used on amps too? Would an amp work on a laptop as well? Price range is something like $0-300. They would be used mainly to listen to electronic music, bass-y kind of stuff. Thanks :)
- productAKG K271 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 10/5/11
- productGrado SR-80tagged by System, 10/5/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 10/5/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/5/11
- productHeadRoom Total BitHead Headphone Amp / DACtagged by System, 10/5/11
- productHifiman EF2A Usb Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 10/5/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/5/11
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 10/5/11
Related Forum Threads
- M-Audio Q40 vs Grado SR80 vs Grado SR60 & other suggestions Last post on 8/20/11 at 5:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Measurements of Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Last post on 5/29/12 at 11:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado SR325i's Last post on 3/25/12 at 4:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K271 MKII's or Sennheiser HD25's? Last post on 1/10/12 at 10:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M50 vs ATH EWS9A vsSENN 280pro vs gradosr80/allisandro ms1 Last post on 10/1/11 at 10:20am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank AudioQuest for providing me with a review sample of their product in exchange for my honest opinion. No matter how much I enjoy listening to...
Read a number of reviews on this pair of headphones before buying, and was quite surprised that no one mentioned the boxy band ( maybe somewhere around 3.5 - 5k ?? ) of upper mids. some songs...
Sony walkman A-10 review PACKAGING : so simple .. just the player,cable and...
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Beginning Headphone Amp (AKG K271 MKII and Grado SR80i)post #1 of 2510/3/11 at 6:15pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 2510/3/11 at 9:49pm
I have a buddy using my Bithead at work right now with his SR-80's and he really likes it. The good thing about the Bithead is that it is also a DAC which can really help improve your computer listening because it cleans up all of the noise within your PC. It is not the absolute best amp out there, but it holds its own in the price range.
The FiiO series are posting some pretty good numbers, but I cannot say how they perform against the Bithead. Perhaps someone else out there can?post #3 of 2510/3/11 at 9:56pm
I like my Headroom Total Bithead - especially since it can double as a portable.
I've also been having a lot of fun with the Hifiman EF2A. Tube rolling, even with an inexpensive amp, is a blast. And the sound is a great pair for the Grados. (Would be fine for the AKG as well, just pairs particularly well with the Grado).
Both include USB DAC's - which is nice.post #4 of 2510/4/11 at 6:19pmThread Starter
Sweet :) checked both out and I particularly liked the EF2A. Looks awesome too. My last question I suppose would be (other than tube rolling which sounds really interesting) what is the difference between a solid state and a tube amp sound wise? Assuming those are the only two available.post #5 of 2510/4/11 at 6:35pmThread Starter
Read a bit more and hearing about the tubes being a bit bright as opposed to warm. Even though I haven't heard them, I love that warm sound. Where would I go about getting a new pair as well as any pair for tube rolling?post #6 of 2510/4/11 at 6:43pmThread Starterpost #7 of 2510/4/11 at 8:27pm
I got my new tubes off ebay, but there are dedicated shops as well... e.g. The tube store: http://thetubestore.com/
Rolling the Mullard 8100's now, which do (honestly) seem a bit warmer than the stock tubes, taking some of the edge off the highs. Though, I will say, the stock tubes sounded great already - especially with the Grado.
The Lyr looks like an awesome amp - but definitely not a beginner amp in either performance or price. Also, does not include a DAC...post #8 of 2510/4/11 at 8:44pmThread Starter
Alright, that makes sense. I like the reviews on the store too. After a bit more research, I found this http://www.head-fi.org/t/522546/hifiman-ef2a-tube-replacement-moar-bass. Just a couple recommendations that might interest you. I've definitely made my choice on the EF2A though. But, the difference of a tube and solid state. Is there really anything to dig for or are they alike, save for tube rolling allowing for a much more personalized experience?post #9 of 2510/5/11 at 9:52am
I think mostly it comes down to personal preference - a good amp, either solid state or tube, is a good amp. They will sound a bit different - solid state probably being a better choice if you are after transparency - with tubes adding their own "flavor" to the sound. I find that tubes are a nice pair with my AKG K702, which are very clinical on their own, so adding a bit of warmth and "tubey" goodness gives them back some musicality. With the grados I consider them a natural rock/jazz pairing since tubes were likely in the guitar rigs used as well... it's a consistency/synergy thing.
The ability to personalize the experience via tube rolling, really just appeals to my geeky, tinkering nature, and has less to do with the listening experience (for me).post #10 of 2510/5/11 at 10:06am
How about a Schiit Asgard and a cheapo DAC like the Fiio D3?
It's not the best DAC per se, but it's a good line out and you get a good amp for your headphones.
You have to have an optical out though.post #11 of 2510/5/11 at 11:18ampost #12 of 2510/5/11 at 5:43pmThread StarterIf I'm going to be using the phones to make music and mix it, should I still consider something like the EF2A's or should I aim for something more transparent? If that's the case, how do Nu Force's do for this kind of application? How far down there product line would I have to go to find one worth my money with these two phones?post #13 of 2510/5/11 at 7:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sploosh67
If I'm going to be using the phones to make music and mix it, should I still consider something like the EF2A's or should I aim for something more transparent? If that's the case, how do Nu Force's do for this kind of application? How far down there product line would I have to go to find one worth my money with these two phones?
I'm a certified EF2A hater. I really didn't care for the sound it produced from my headphones. Maybe it was a synergy issue? But I digress, I think there's more powerful amps to be had in the same price range especially if you look at it as an amp only purchase since the inbuilt DAC is godawful horrible.
Look at it like this at a retail tag of 199, you're not that far from some well reviewed amps like the Matrix M-stage or the Schiit Asgard or even some other DAC/AMP combos from the likes of Matrix, iBasso, Audio GD, etc.
Not a huge fan of the NuForce sound, but I admit they make some good products not called the uDac.post #14 of 2510/5/11 at 8:05pmThread StarterIf the Asgards a DAC, then I'd be more than happy to purchase it. That thing is sexy. i'm just afraid of having something like tubes affecting the sound if that's precisely what I don't want. But I have no clue if it's that big of a deal. I have no clue what people who master tracks for a living use to amplify their headphones. But I do love the whole tube rolling idea. It's just this amp won't soley be used as listening pleasure but also to create songs. The latter of which is much more important.post #15 of 2510/5/11 at 8:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sploosh67
If the Asgards a DAC, then I'd be more than happy to purchase it. That thing is sexy. i'm just afraid of having something like tubes affecting the sound if that's precisely what I don't want. But I have no clue if it's that big of a deal. I have no clue what people who master tracks for a living use to amplify their headphones. But I do love the whole tube rolling idea. It's just this amp won't soley be used as listening pleasure but also to create songs. The latter of which is much more important.
nope no dac.
Do you have optical out from your source?
- Beginning Headphone Amp (AKG K271 MKII and Grado SR80i)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread 39 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 46 seconds ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 1 minute ago
- › Audio-GD Master 9 1 minute ago
- › Making my first set of headphone cables... tips, tricks, help would... 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Manley LAB Series 100 monoblocks /w Grommes HA-600 headphone... 2 minutes ago
- › Pioneer SE-A1000 Appreciation Club ( Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?) 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Sennheiser HD650 w/ Chris_Himself Solid Silver Cable Excellentt... 3 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 (& Plus) & iOS 8 Sound Quality Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2 USB DAC by twister6
- › AKG K271 MKII Headphones by 1nfiniti
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by Mmet
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2