- 6 Posts. Joined 2/2005
- Location: Washington Cascade foothills
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- An Interview with Paul Barton of PSB and NAD - Head-Fi TV Last post on 4/27/15 at 11:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will Audiophilleo work for me? Last post on 3/7/14 at 1:45pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop & Portable Speakers)
Last edited: 6/26/15
I received by LG for review purposes. Here are my thoughts are 6 weeks. Aesthetics. The unique ‘on-neck horse-shoe’ design is inconspicuous sits neatly and discreetly around the neck line....
Signature Acoustics C-12: The Elemental Underdog Woodies Company Background Audiophiles love music, especially when played from high quality audio products that contain several different...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank SoundMagic for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. If you live in US, they are currently available at a...
*A sample of the IEM500 was provided to me in return for my honest review* - Photos taken by, me.- One of the funniest things is when a company writes all these outlandish claims with their...
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the...
REVIEW: PSB Imagine mini Speakers - Page 10
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I'm still quite pleased with my PSB Imagine Mini more than a year later. I think I paid about $600 for the RMAF 2011 dark cherry demos, but I'd have to go back through my receipts to be sure.
anybody here have compared the Eminent technology LFT-16a (1000$) to other speakers like psb mini etc...
that planar push pull midrange with no crossover btw 250hz and 7.5kz is really really keeping me from looking elsewhere right now.... the others i'm looking at are ERAudio electrostatics mini panel(500$+shipping from autralia, but need sub and matching amp) or evolutions acoustics MMicroOne :)
the amps that i'm interested in right now in order are musical paradise mp-501 kt120 paralllel single ended no negative feedback tube amp (1300$), parasound a23 (1000$), bryston b60r (700$)...
for dac i'm looking into schiit gungnir (750$ without usb) or musical paradise MP-D1 with usb (550$ + better tube (30$)) (tube stage with AK4399 dac)
I really need advise please anybody :)
lets say btw 1000-3000$ for the speakers less $$$ is better
btw 400 and 1400$ for the amp less $$ is better
btw 500 and 1000 for the dac less $$ is better...
in total i dont want to go over 3500$ and i don't mind if i need to upgrade later some parts like the amp.
If i choose lets say the evolutions acoustics mmmicroone at 2500$.. i will of course buy a lower cost 400$ amp and maybe wait for the dac..
Edited by Audiolic - 1/9/13 at 5:46pm
In my experience with PSB it's not about powering them if you have a speaker amp it will power them.
It's about giving them a quality amp something like Marantz or NAD at the lowest end.
Don't use Sony or Onkyo as they just make PSB speakers sound bland and nothing special.
Power is power.
As long as you first giving the speakers enough power.... second are presenting the amp with an impedance load it can handle......third.... aren't driving the amp into distortion and overloading the power supply and output stages.....the "quality" of the amp matters not.
I already had too many speakers but my local dealer had a sale on the Minis and I couldn't resist giving them a try.
I also bought cheap A1 amp to try out....I have a Audioengine N22 but I wanted to see how this little A1 fares when driving an upscale bookshelf.
I haven't had extensive listening time and the speakers haven't been broken in yet, but so far, the combo is quite pleasing for the price, it isn't as transparent as my MC15 which is my benchmark for $1000, but then again I paid half of that for this combo and for desktop use outside of mixing/monitoring, this combo is quite musical. It doesn't have the depth of bass that makes me forget it's a small speaker, but it also astounds me because it's such a small speaker and throws depth of image and a punch that belies its size. I think their other strength is in the way they never sound boxy even when I start pushing the volume way higher than is comfortable for nearfield.. The size of the speaker fits nicely into the décor of my desk without visually overwhelming it like most studio monitors do.
The only issue is that I think it needs to be higher off the desk because I do feel the sound is a bit shouty on my Dynaudio metal stands....these speakers really benefit from being higher and away from the wall as well. I think they sound best with the tweeters pointed at my ear or lower
The A1 amp was $50 on sale and I was also impressed how competent it is for that price. I had a steak dinner that cost more than this amp, and it did a bang up job. It's only 14W/channel and the sound quality starts to strain if I try to push it past 12 o clock (at which point the volume was beyond comfortable even sitting at the back of my bedroom)
Edited by warpdriver - 1/29/13 at 7:38pm
- REVIEW: PSB Imagine mini Speakers
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH600 + Hippocase + Denon EarPads 3 minutes ago
- › Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary... 3 minutes ago
- › The all new ALO Rx IEM amp! Now on sale. 4 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Questyle QP1 7 minutes ago
- › LG Electronics TONE INFINIM Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail... by lwbanerjee
- › Signature Acoustics Elements Series C-12 by vlenbo
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by twister6
- › Puro Sound Labs - IEM500 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › iClever® IC-BTH01 Lightweight Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Sports... by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)