Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Violectric V800 DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Violectric V800 DAC - Page 14

post #196 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrared View Post

PA ...I am a little slow..so you are telling me that if my V800 is set to "best" it will not actually utilize "best" if my streams input is @192khz??? Really?
I am sure I would have overlooked that.
I am in tortured mode right now. Miraculously, Violectric sent my V800 DAC & V200 Amp yesterday from Germany...and it arrived here in NJ this afternoon. No shipping charge! The torture part is that Audeze just dropped my Rosewood LCD-2's at Fed-X in CA this evening and I will not have them until Fri night! Looks like I am going to have a fun weekend.
Thanks for the info...once again...I have learned something useful by coming to this blog!


Infrared, best is such a subjective term:) It used to commonly accepted in the DAC community that re-sampling was bad for a DAC. Nowadays you see well regarded DACs that swear by it. Benchmark DAC1, this V800, etc. Of course the V800 lets you choose other than best because we live in such a subjective world hehe:)

 

I wouldn't get too stressed about it. Just enjoy the music.

 

PA

post #197 of 659

PA....I guess what confuses me is that I just purchased a mated pair. The V800 and V200. They will communicate to one another via XLR connection, which appears to be the best situation for that connection.  I am connecting my source to the DAC via  USB, ( I will try the toslink anyway) and perhaps use a USB interface to SPDIF then into the COAX in the V800 (via HiFace Two)...could this be a little more complicated please!  (I DARE you guys to master Photoshop!!!!! LOL!). ALL of these are normal connections for input from source...nothing out of the ordinary.

I cannot image that Violectric would require me to open up the boxes and work on them to get optimum results???? That just does not make good sense to me. That is like selling me a camera and telling me I have to take the front plate off and the mirror out and make some adjustments to the sensor before I can take great photographs.   In my world, the camera manufacturer has not done his job and I would avoid this like the plague...but that just doesn't happen in cameraland.

Perhaps some here overcomplicate simple things?????

post #198 of 659

The default settings for both the V800 and V200 are what will work best for most people, and are the safest ones. If you don't feel like tinkering with them, then don't. The possibility for modding is good if you in a few months or a year feel like you want a bit better sound, or if you're curious to hear what the difference could be. There are a lot of us out there that like to tinker with our stuff to maybe get that last 5% of performance that wasn't there by default because it might cause problems for the regular users who just want to plug the stuff in and use it. The same holds true for any electronics and equipment. The default settings are usually great, but if you know your stuff there's always some tweaks that can improve performance, though you always do it at your own risk.

post #199 of 659

Manko...yeah...I am slowly getting this...that "you guys" tinker.  I think I will be blown away once I get my new equipment set up. I am hoping I am speechless! LOL! I know that it does talk about opening the boxes and messing with something in the Violectric user manual. I would need my hand held!!!  This is a lot of outlay for me for audio equipment. I don't want to damage it.

I am also working on a modest Chinese tube amp set up (completely separate from this venture) with speakers, no headphones. Just modest bookshelf monitors. That project has tube rolling and adjusting the bias..etc. involved, too. So between the two projects I should have some serious improvement in the sound in my place!!!!  I just want to keep it fun and not stressful. Right now to me...opening up both of two boxes from Germany(Lake People?).. that cost me over $1900 with cables is not something I will NOT do this week..but I can't say I am totally opposed to it down the road. Electronics are not my forté...I am a visual guy and good with wood. :-)

Thanks for the input. I get the drift here...I need one of you guys as my next-door-neighbor ..um...for audio consultation!!!!!!! LOL!

post #200 of 659

I'm sure someone (or me) would be willing to do a thorough tutorial with pictures on how to do it down the line when you feel like trying it out. I totally get that you would just want to plug the stuff in and listen to some music when you get the gear. Not even I would start tinkering with it before doing a lot of listening with the default sound. Before you're used to what it sounds like you might not be able to tell if there's an improvement as you don't have a solid frame of reference in your mind of what the equipment normally sounds like.

post #201 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManko View Post

I'm sure someone (or me) would be willing to do a thorough tutorial with pictures on how to do it down the line when you feel like trying it out. I totally get that you would just want to plug the stuff in and listen to some music when you get the gear. Not even I would start tinkering with it before doing a lot of listening with the default sound. Before you're used to what it sounds like you might not be able to tell if there's an improvement as you don't have a solid frame of reference in your mind of what the equipment normally sounds like.
Now THAT makes sense!
post #202 of 659

OK....I have my Violectric V200 Amp, V800DAC and Audeze LCD-2's.   I was a little overwhelmed at first with set up because I am a neat freak.... 

(do not know if it is bad form to talk about cost, but I ordered my Violectrics directly from Germany and the prices were considerably lower than I am seeing mentioned here. If anyone in interested I will give you my email so I can talk to you about that offline.) The service was unbelievable. I got everything in 2 days. No extra charge......Fried rocks!

I am currently hooked up to my iMac with the provided USB, and RCA's for the DAC to AMP right now. (I ordered Neutrik connectors and Mic wire to solder shorty XLR Cables..but DUH, I ordered all female connectors...told you I was new. They are half done ...I did well with the solder...and the Male connectors are on the way). Fried recomended the XLR's but he was pretty relaxed about it...

I am just listening to full WAV files via CD player in iMac or iTunes at this point.  At first I was not that impressed ...(don't shoot me)...but after a couple of days I am more and more blown away by the subtlety of the sound. I am owing some of that possible break-in time..not sure...or my brain adjusting????

I want to try an optical cable at some point...but most say there is no difference.

 

One thing I do want to do is take some photos of this equipment and lay it on you guys...as I think it is all so visually exciting, truly and I have not seen any cool shots even from the manufacturers. A little puzzling to me...but it may just be to keep the overhead down.  I hope to get something up here in dribs an drabs over the next week. My thank you for all of the suggestions.

 

....now ....should I get that HiFace Two...hmmmmmmmmmm......LOL!

post #203 of 659
Thread Starter 

Sounds good, glad you are enjoying yourself. I agree that Fried is a super nice guy. 

 

It's interesting that you say you weren't initially blown away. In my experience, stuff that makes me immediately say "wow!" on first listen, is not usually the stuff I end up keeping and enjoying long term. That's not to say that all my favorites sounded terrible on first listen, but they usually don't knock my socks off either. 

post #204 of 659

Well...I am new to this..quite honestly...the only "cans" I had were Skull Candy buds for my 6-year-old ipod.  And actually as of yesterday they are in really rough shape as they had a run-in with my vacuum cleaner! ~:-o

As far as my initial set up goes...I don't know... I have not experienced anything like this before..it kind of grows on you and then all of a sudden I feel like I am rediscovering my whole catalog of music all over again. One thing  do notice is that I do not get tired of listening for a long time.  The whole experience is subtle tho.

Do and Amp, a DAC and headphones really break-in....I mean I thought the was just a bunch of bull but now I am uncertain...

post #205 of 659

The biggest part of break-in is definitely what happens in your mind. I feel many underestimate just how much of a difference the mind makes to how you experience the sound. First expectations color how you'll experience the sound, and then the second listen will be different as you come with expectations based on your first experience.

 

Going from low end headphones to a full on high end setup with dac, amp and headphones right away I'm sure will be an overwhelming change and it'll probably take a while before you adjust to the new style of sound and fully appreciate the difference. Whatever difference the break-in does to the equipment itself will be subtle and not noticeable. I'm sure it'll be a fun ride listening to all your music again and hearing the change in sound.

post #206 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrared View Post

OK....I have my Violectric V200 Amp, V800DAC and Audeze LCD-2's.   I was a little overwhelmed at first with set up because I am a neat freak.... 

(do not know if it is bad form to talk about cost, but I ordered my Violectrics directly from Germany and the prices were considerably lower than I am seeing mentioned here. If anyone in interested I will give you my email so I can talk to you about that offline.) The service was unbelievable. I got everything in 2 days. No extra charge......Fried rocks!

I am currently hooked up to my iMac with the provided USB, and RCA's for the DAC to AMP right now. (I ordered Neutrik connectors and Mic wire to solder shorty XLR Cables..but DUH, I ordered all female connectors...told you I was new. They are half done ...I did well with the solder...and the Male connectors are on the way). Fried recomended the XLR's but he was pretty relaxed about it...

I am just listening to full WAV files via CD player in iMac or iTunes at this point.  At first I was not that impressed ...(don't shoot me)...but after a couple of days I am more and more blown away by the subtlety of the sound. I am owing some of that possible break-in time..not sure...or my brain adjusting????

I want to try an optical cable at some point...but most say there is no difference.

 

One thing I do want to do is take some photos of this equipment and lay it on you guys...as I think it is all so visually exciting, truly and I have not seen any cool shots even from the manufacturers. A little puzzling to me...but it may just be to keep the overhead down.  I hope to get something up here in dribs an drabs over the next week. My thank you for all of the suggestions.

 

....now ....should I get that HiFace Two...hmmmmmmmmmm......LOL!

 

Nice initial thoughts!
 
Would love to see some pictures from an experienced photographer.......bigsmile_face.gif
 
The V800 is an incredible DAC at it's price point. The vast experience of Fried being in the professional side of audio with AD converters really shows through in the sonics of V800. No digital glare here, just extremely detailed and delicate sounding, full of finesse.......I simply adore the V800!
post #207 of 659

Hi everyone,

 

First of all, thank you P86 for the review, very helpful.

 

I'm planning to upgrade my Xonar Essece ST internal DAC to an external one. I've already wrote in the Yulong D18 review, so I will try to summarize.

 

My system is Lehmann Black cube linear and HD800 for headphones and Teac A-H01 and Audioengine P4 for speakers.

I would like to improve sound quality in both DACs (in the future I'll change the teac and P4s for better options, but that will be in another thread smily_headphones1.gif).

 

My options are V800 and Yulong's D18. I've read V800 is superior to Yulong's D18 and Benchmark DAC1 (my other option).

 

My future setup will be:

Digital spdif line out from Xonar to RCA in DAC.

DAC via XLR-RCA cable to Lehmann.

DAC via RCA-RCA cable to speakers amplifier.

 

This way I use the DAC as pre-amplifier. If I remember correctly, the V800 pre-amp is a good one.

 

My musical styles are overall Metal (heavy, melodic death, ...) and instrumental (Instrumental rock, some classical, Soundtracks, Mike Oldfield style, ...). Almost everything in 16/44.1.

 

Do you think any of those DACs is an improvement in sound quality over the Xonar internal DAC?

Will they pair well with my system (lehmann + HD800)?

Will be worth replacing the Xonar spdif lineout for a Hiface2 (and selling the xonar)?

 

And finally (I promise), between V800 and D18, is there a big difference regarding treble smoothness?

Reading about D18 I'm concerned about the possible lack of treble (I don't know if this is what happens with treble smoothness), and reading about V800 I'm concerned about the possible harshness of the treble and audio fatigue. Yeah, I know is like Crazy biggrin.gif, I can't decide, I'm am a bit confused confused.gif.

 

I thinking in V800, using HD800 for good recordings and my other cans (HD595) for bad recordings. Is this a sensible option?

 

Thanks a lot

Regards

post #208 of 659

I can tell you that Xonar Essence One is already an upgrade from an STX. I had that combo for a good while. Now I will be getting a V800. 

post #209 of 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post

I can tell you that Xonar Essence One is already an upgrade from an STX. I had that combo for a good while. Now I will be getting a V800. 


Good to know, thanks Fegefeuer

 

In the "Yulong D18" thread, Chodi has told me that this one is also superior to Essence ST. And that is a relief. Either way (D18 or V800) will be a good upgrade.

Now I have to decide which one, the hardest part, to decide smily_headphones1.gif

 

Thanks

Regards

post #210 of 659

One good point for the V800 is the internal pre-amplifier, that i think is good.

It will be useful for my future speakers amplifierr.

 

Could someone please tell how good is it (the pre-amp in V800) and if it is a good pal for the lehmann?

 

Regards


Edited by palikrovol - 8/23/12 at 8:46am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Violectric V800 DAC