Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Violectric V800 DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Violectric V800 DAC - Page 13

post #181 of 701
Thread Starter 

I wouldn't worry about playing music with sample rates higher than 96kHz. There isn't that much of it out there. If you come across some that you really want to play, there are ways to proceed, but for now just don't worry about it.

 

The VAST majority of music out there remains in CD quality, 16-bit/44.1kHz format. 

post #182 of 701
Thanks for your patience 86.... I would not have known that...but you are helping me get more "onto the page". Sounds like I should go with the USB option. I can check out a HiFace Two if I am unhappy with the sound after I get set up. That will allow me to leave my desktop speaker system plugged into the audio/optical out from the iMac, as it connects to the iMac via a mini headphone jack. I would love to have the desktop speaker system run off the DAC also, but I don't know how I could switch back and forth between the headphone amp and the desktop speakers in that scenario.
post #183 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrared View Post

Wow thrax.... I am learning a lot here.Well...I did not buy the to toslink cable yet..so 
I am not committed in any way how I connect my iMac to my DAC at this point.  I am totally open about that connection..  but since, both the USB AND the OPTICAL OUT on my iMac only support rates of 24/96, does that mean that with a Mac I cannot get a rate of 24/192? 
Spkrs suggests a HiFace Two... But that doesn't get me to a to higher rate does it?
Why would I get better sound quality over the USB with larger music files if the rates are no different than my OPTICAL OUT?
Am I missing something obvious here?
I am totally open to suggestions here...I have plenty of time before my Violectric DAC & Amp arrive!!!
I definitely want to push the envelope as much as I can within my finances. LOL!

 

Actually, USB does not have any rate limitations so it is your best option when using a mac.  The 24/96 limit applies only to the optical out of your mac.  I do 24/192 from my mac via USB with no problems at all.

 

If you decide to go the route of using an interface, the capabilities will depend wholly on the interface itself so you need to look into that when you choose one.  I have only tried the Audiophileo2 but it supports all rates up to 24/192.  Not sure about the HiFace but I am sure the other folks here can confirm or deny this.

 

(oops, project86 beat me to it ;))


Edited by thrak - 8/12/12 at 2:10pm
post #184 of 701

The V800 has a limitation on the USB input of 24/96.

 

A HiFace two, as well as many other bridges available in the market, will take that to 24/192 and also use the better sounding RCA input on the V800.

 

You will just need a RCA cable for the HiFace two if you buy the RCA version. 

post #185 of 701

To add to thrak's comment, for those considering using the MHDT Labs USBridge, the company withdrew support for 24/176.4 kHz in summer of 2011. Still supports all the others up to 24/192 kHz.

 

This decision was due to C-Media's CM 6631 chip's inability to render 24/176.4 kHz to high standards like the other resolutions - odd ball out. Rather than risk users having poor performance at this rate, they decided to eliminated it; does 88.2 kHz fine. 

post #186 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrared View Post

Thanks for your patience 86.... I would not have known that...but you are helping me get more "onto the page". Sounds like I should go with the USB option. I can check out a HiFace Two if I am unhappy with the sound after I get set up. That will allow me to leave my desktop speaker system plugged into the audio/optical out from the iMac, as it connects to the iMac via a mini headphone jack. I would love to have the desktop speaker system run off the DAC also, but I don't know how I could switch back and forth between the headphone amp and the desktop speakers in that scenario.

 

Do you have your speakers already? If not buy a pair of active desktop speakers like the Focal XS Book Desktop Speakers :-

 

http://www.avguide.com/review/focal-xs-book-desktop-speaker-system-playback-56

 

Great bang for the buck at $399 and they look great with Mac!!! XLR cables to the V200 for headphones and RCA to these speakers from the V800.

post #187 of 701
Spits...thanks for all of the help...especially all the info about the HiFace Two...I think that is very useful for my needs!
post #188 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrared View Post

Wow thrax.... I am learning a lot here.Well...I did not buy the to toslink cable yet..so 
I am not committed in any way how I connect my iMac to my DAC at this point.  I am totally open about that connection..  but since, both the USB AND the OPTICAL OUT on my iMac only support rates of 24/96, does that mean that with a Mac I cannot get a rate of 24/192? 
Spkrs suggests a HiFace Two... But that doesn't get me to a to higher rate does it?
Why would I get better sound quality over the USB with larger music files if the rates are no different than my OPTICAL OUT?
Am I missing something obvious here?
I am totally open to suggestions here...I have plenty of time before my Violectric DAC & Amp arrive!!!
I definitely want to push the envelope as much as I can within my finances. LOL!

 

I see you are getting carried away.  Take a breath and just calm down for a second.  All of this sort of stuff is grossly overstated here on this website.

 

The general consensus is that optical has a smoother sound with a blacker background.  USB has more clearly defined edges.  It's not very expensive to buy a regular usb cable and a regular optical cable if you are that committed to finding the best solution for you.  I personally at the moment trust optical connection a little bit more since USB is still a little young.  I know it's perfectly fine. Though.  I can nearly guarantee I wouldn't know any difference if someone snuck into my room and changed my cable to a usb into my DAC.  

 

As for getting 24/192, there are very little recordings to be found at this rate, and I don't think it's very significant to be able to play such files unless you are working with master copies.  I understand your want for the highest possible quality, but I'm not sure that is to be found in 192 files without an extremely revealing source specifically tailored to such a thing.  I know some would argue otherwise.  I would say more detail would come from a redbook DAC tailored to such a thing even though it can't play 24/192.  I hope you don't find my comment to be too negative or anything of that sort.  I'm positive the v800 is a wonderful piece of equipment.  I know with your equipment on the way it's easy to get hyped up with anticipation, especially with little experience with previous gear.  I was there not too long ago but I've had a really interesting journey through this very for the most part misinformed headphone forum.

 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, in the end, once everything settles in, none of this will matter for the most part because you can just sit back and enjoy yourself without thinking about it.

 

I know this doesn't answer your question, but when it comes to stuff of this sort, such as usb vs optical, you will find there is no answer.  Some claim to hear a difference, some don't.  It can probably vary a lot depending on the source.  I say probably because I really have no idea, but that's what more educated, reliable people seem to say, especially with optical.

post #189 of 701

Llloyd (could-you-fit-another-"L" -n-there Loyd! LOL)...

I totally appreciate what you are saying. I am not that savy with this audio stuff...(but am learning prodigiously)...but I do know cameras and spend WAY too much time on my photo blogs dissecting minutia...the funny thing is ...sometimes I get to see the photography of some of the biggest pixel peepers and IM(not)HO many times there images are dreadful or just snappy pics...yet they go on and on and on about this sensor, that lens, etc...but the big "picture" (pun intended) completely escapes them.

I like to laugh at myself as often as possible...( I am serious about my photography...don't get me wrong...but HEY...its just pictures!!!..well it is more than that to me).  

 

I have to say that everyone who has tried to help me has be really helpful..non-condescending and this blog is just great. ...and yes...I am excited about my new set-up (and OCD!) so I want to know it..all right now!!!!   I like the perspective you have injected in the discussion. I found out some pointers here that the "salesmen" could/or would not have given me and I am going to do my basic setup and see how the sound is with out a USB interface or MONSTER GIGANTOR wires, etc.  ..and then I am going to see how it goes from there. I have time before my equipment arrives from Germany to learn more ...and this is all good clean fun.  I am enjoying the process and everyone who has made suggestions for me.  Its a good ride so far...and I have nothing to listen to.....YET!!!!!!! 

post #190 of 701

Another thing to keep in mind is how the V800 works should you decide to leave it in "best" mode. Best mode is the mode where the V800 automatically decides which sampling frequency to use to get the best sound out of it. Guess which sample rate BEST uses for any input frequency from 44 Khz to 192 Khz. 96 Khz.

 

PA

post #191 of 701
PA ...I am a little slow..so you are telling me that if my V800 is set to "best" it will not actually utilize "best" if my streams input is @192khz??? Really?
I am sure I would have overlooked that.
I am in tortured mode right now. Miraculously, Violectric sent my V800 DAC & V200 Amp yesterday from Germany...and it arrived here in NJ this afternoon. No shipping charge! The torture part is that Audeze just dropped my Rosewood LCD-2's at Fed-X in CA this evening and I will not have them until Fri night! Looks like I am going to have a fun weekend.
Thanks for the info...once again...I have learned something useful by coming to this blog!
post #192 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrared View Post

PA ...I am a little slow..so you are telling me that if my V800 is set to "best" it will not actually utilize "best" if my streams input is @192khz??? Really?
I am sure I would have overlooked that.
I am in tortured mode right now. Miraculously, Violectric sent my V800 DAC & V200 Amp yesterday from Germany...and it arrived here in NJ this afternoon. No shipping charge! The torture part is that Audeze just dropped my Rosewood LCD-2's at Fed-X in CA this evening and I will not have them until Fri night! Looks like I am going to have a fun weekend.
Thanks for the info...once again...I have learned something useful by coming to this blog!

 

Congrats on the delivery of the two Violectric units!!!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph1lerAudi0 View Post

Another thing to keep in mind is how the V800 works should you decide to leave it in "best" mode. Best mode is the mode where the V800 automatically decides which sampling frequency to use to get the best sound out of it. Guess which sample rate BEST uses for any input frequency from 44 Khz to 192 Khz. 96 Khz.

 

PA

 

I prefer OFF...more natural sounding to me, especially on Redbook. With BEST, I find the music having a little artificial smoothness to it, plus a little sheen that glosses over the entire spectrum. 


Edited by spkrs01 - 8/15/12 at 6:36pm
post #193 of 701
Spkrs01... Your Focal XS desktop speakers have a great design...with larger drivers than most! I am just running an older pair of HK Sound Sticks w/sub which is fine for my needs at the screen (especially after setting up the Violectric/Audeze Head Gear ...they will not be used much. LOL!). With some thought and research I was able to procure cable adapter and a switch box to run my desktop speakers off the V800 RCA outputs with the ability to flick them off when listening to the headphones (when they arrive). Also, I will have to give all of the resampling settings a careful listen to see what is going on there.
Thanks for the input.
post #194 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrared View Post

Spkrs01... Your Focal XS desktop speakers have a great design...with larger drivers than most! I am just running an older pair of HK Sound Sticks w/sub which is fine for my needs at the screen (especially after setting up the Violectric/Audeze Head Gear ...they will not be used much. LOL!). With some thought and research I was able to procure cable adapter and a switch box to run my desktop speakers off the V800 RCA outputs with the ability to flick them off when listening to the headphones (when they arrive). Also, I will have to give all of the resampling settings a careful listen to see what is going on there.
Thanks for the input.

 

Hi m8,

 

Not to worry....

 

Since you have both units, you should consider lifting the grounds on both units and the low pass filter on the volume pot in the V200....wink_face.gif

post #195 of 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrs01 View Post

Hi m8,

Not to worry....

Since you have both units, you should consider lifting the grounds on both units and the low pass filter on the volume pot in the V200....wink_face.gif
.........
Um...that would require opening up both units, right? ...That is something that can wait, as I am new...besides, I really need to get my LCD-2's, break everything in and give a listen (or two!). I would never open the Violectrics up unless I ran that by Fried first to confirm what I was up to. I DO NOT know my way around electronic equipment...and a LOT of what is contained in the Violectric user manuals ( like Earth/Ground etc.), is like Greek to me. I am taking all of this one step at a time. LOL!
These units are visually stunning... I will have to take some creative photos of this gear (I see that is SEVERELY lacking around here :-)), at some point and trade them for more info... LOL!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Violectric V800 DAC