- 197 Posts. Joined 8/2006
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 10/3/11
- productAKG K 702 Blacktagged by System, 3/7/13
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 10/3/11
- productBurson Audio HA-160Dtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productBurson HA-160tagged by System, 10/18/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/3/11
- productLittle Dot MK IItagged by System, 10/3/11
- brandMoon Audiotagged by System, 10/3/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/3/11
- productWoo Audio WA6tagged by System, 10/3/11
Related Forum Threads
- Unexpected response from lending K702s. Last post on 9/18/11 at 10:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K701 / K702 / Q701 - Member's AMP/DAC pairing list Last post on 2/20/14 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which amp for AKG K701/K702/Q701 Schiit Lyr vs Burson HA160? Last post on 10/18/11 at 4:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AKG K-702 sonic quality without a dedicated amp Last post on 9/21/11 at 5:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K702 sound degradation from plug + internal wiring? Last post on 9/23/11 at 8:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 11/25/15
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Preamble: I have a set of around 30 – 40 tracks all in the FLAC from varying genres that I use as my test reference playlist. I try to cover as many genres and stick to recordings that have good...
At the time this review was written, the Earsonics S-EM9 was listed for sale on Musicteck’s online store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
HIFIMAN SuperMini review Oct 2016 INTRO Just some background on me with previous experience of daps and why I’ve arrived here at this point in time. ...In a Hi-Fi...
First of all, above any other factor, these are just SO COMFORTABLE!! There are very expensive headphones I used that sound really good but feel like someone is trying to crush my head. These have...
The FiiO A1 is a nice addition to a smartphone setup.It has the potential to save battery power when listening with portable devices. it doesn't extend very well and bass and treble is left...
How does the Burson HA-160 do with AKG K702 phones?post #1 of 1210/1/11 at 2:12pmThread StarterRight now, I am powering my well-broken-in K702s with a Headroom MicroAmp. I'm pretty satisfied with the sound (but the bass extension seems limited) and the comfort of the headphones, which I use only for classical music. I've read some good reviews of the Burson amp. If you have heard the K702 or K701 with the Burson, how did you feel about the sound quality? And if you have by any chance used the 701/702 phones with the Headroom MicroAmp in addition to the Burson, how would you describe the difference in the results you heard?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1210/1/11 at 4:02pm
I used it over a period of about two weeks. But Im so bad at discerning audio quality that it was like casting pearls before swine. I was comparing it to my little dot mk2 and WA6, the only difference I could tell was that the Burson was a bit louder than the WA6.
I kept the WA6 simply because of the looks, but if It was a pure audio quality decision, the Burson was better, but I couldn't describe why I felt that way.post #3 of 1210/1/11 at 4:04pm
This 6 moons review inluded 702s, and suggested that it handled the deep end of the 702s very well.post #4 of 1210/1/11 at 11:20pmpost #5 of 1210/1/11 at 11:22pmpost #6 of 1210/1/11 at 11:24pmpost #7 of 1210/5/11 at 2:10pmpost #8 of 1210/10/11 at 8:51amThread Starterpost #9 of 1210/10/11 at 11:39amQuote:
I auditioned it with the Quincy Jones (Q701') and it made a good job.
Let us know once you get it, happy listening!post #10 of 1210/15/11 at 5:41pmThread Starter
Burson arrived yesterday. I'm listening to it right now with AKG K702s.
Right out of the box I noticed significant improvements compared with the ca. 2006 Headroom MicroAmp which I traded in for the Burson from an obliging dealer. So far I hear much less congestion in the midrange, more spaciousness around instruments in well-recorded classical music, much greater detail in such recordings as Miles Davis's "So What." On some early digital recordings, the graininess in the violins is much less evident. Overall, it's less fatiguing to listen to. It's not parched, dry, or analytical, but I am hearing plenty of layers in the music.
I'm not certain of this, but I have the impression that the bass extension is deeper--but I am quite certain of the other improvements.
BTW I find the 702s to be a good, comfortable fit for me, in contrast to the Senn 600 and 650, both of which put my TM joint into a painful vise grip.post #11 of 1210/15/11 at 10:51pmpost #12 of 1211/30/11 at 4:42pm
Reply about the burson amp with akg 701 phones.I have a burson ha-160 amp and it does drive the 701s fairly well.If you do get a burson amp I suggest that you replace the stock fuse(easily done from the back panel) with a hifi tuning fuse of the same value.I might also suggest a hifi tuning silver star fuse.I tried a hifi tuning gold fuse also but imho i thought the silver star fuse brought out the best from the burson amp the bass being tighter and it improved the the imaging more than the gold fuse.I would also suggest you upgrade the stock power cord.I replaced mine with a pangea ac-14 power cord from audio advisor and got a substantial improvement in the bursons sound quality.This is a no brainer the pangea power cord is only about thirty dollars.
- How does the Burson HA-160 do with AKG K702 phones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado RS2e MINT 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › Hottest Sonic Electronix deals and promotions. 2 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 2 minutes ago
- › Best value for money headphones for £40 or $40 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-MM400 5 minutes ago
- › PSB M4U 4 by Krisman
- › Earsonics - S-EM9 in-ear Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by FortisFlyer75
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Peter Zhang
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by Headzone
- › SIMGOT EN700 In Ear Dynamic Earphone 24Ω Original ... by bhazard
- › Sony MDR-CD2000 CD Series Headphones by leroik
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...