- 180 Posts. Joined 8/2006
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 10/3/11
- productAKG K 702 Blacktagged by System, 3/7/13
- productAKG K 702 Headphonestagged by System, 10/3/11
- productBurson Audio HA-160Dtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productBurson HA-160tagged by System, 10/18/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/3/11
- productLittle Dot MK IItagged by System, 10/3/11
- brandMoon Audiotagged by System, 10/3/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 10/3/11
- productWoo Audio WA6tagged by System, 10/3/11
Related Forum Threads
- Unexpected response from lending K702s. Last post on 9/18/11 at 10:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K701 / K702 / Q701 - Member's AMP/DAC pairing list Last post on 2/20/14 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which amp for AKG K701/K702/Q701 Schiit Lyr vs Burson HA160? Last post on 10/18/11 at 4:57pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AKG K-702 sonic quality without a dedicated amp Last post on 9/21/11 at 5:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K702 sound degradation from plug + internal wiring? Last post on 9/23/11 at 8:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Master & Dynamic for providing me with a review sample of ME03 in exchange for my honest opinion. Also, I have to apologize for some of the...
Hey the bang for your buck ratio is great for these. I got them years ago for $500. I've been using them to replace the little tin box in my TV for years. The satellite surrounds are ignored/not...
So this is my first day impression of the Emotiva Stealth 8 speakers and I will be updating every week untilll I have come to the conclusion that I've finally made it through the burn-in process....
Intro Well, after almost two years on Head-fi, I feel it is time to put my words out there and write my first review. In doing so, I feel it is only right that it be about the newly released...
OK This is my first headphone review so please be easy. I am not much on technical terms and such. I know what I like but is difficult to come to words at times. A little about me: Love most...
How does the Burson HA-160 do with AKG K702 phones?post #1 of 1210/1/11 at 2:12pmThread StarterRight now, I am powering my well-broken-in K702s with a Headroom MicroAmp. I'm pretty satisfied with the sound (but the bass extension seems limited) and the comfort of the headphones, which I use only for classical music. I've read some good reviews of the Burson amp. If you have heard the K702 or K701 with the Burson, how did you feel about the sound quality? And if you have by any chance used the 701/702 phones with the Headroom MicroAmp in addition to the Burson, how would you describe the difference in the results you heard?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1210/1/11 at 4:02pm
I used it over a period of about two weeks. But Im so bad at discerning audio quality that it was like casting pearls before swine. I was comparing it to my little dot mk2 and WA6, the only difference I could tell was that the Burson was a bit louder than the WA6.
I kept the WA6 simply because of the looks, but if It was a pure audio quality decision, the Burson was better, but I couldn't describe why I felt that way.post #3 of 1210/1/11 at 4:04pmpost #4 of 1210/1/11 at 11:20pmpost #5 of 1210/1/11 at 11:22pmpost #6 of 1210/1/11 at 11:24pmpost #7 of 1210/5/11 at 2:10pmpost #8 of 1210/10/11 at 8:51amThread Starterpost #9 of 1210/10/11 at 11:39amQuote:
I auditioned it with the Quincy Jones (Q701') and it made a good job.
Let us know once you get it, happy listening!post #10 of 1210/15/11 at 5:41pmThread Starter
Burson arrived yesterday. I'm listening to it right now with AKG K702s.
Right out of the box I noticed significant improvements compared with the ca. 2006 Headroom MicroAmp which I traded in for the Burson from an obliging dealer. So far I hear much less congestion in the midrange, more spaciousness around instruments in well-recorded classical music, much greater detail in such recordings as Miles Davis's "So What." On some early digital recordings, the graininess in the violins is much less evident. Overall, it's less fatiguing to listen to. It's not parched, dry, or analytical, but I am hearing plenty of layers in the music.
I'm not certain of this, but I have the impression that the bass extension is deeper--but I am quite certain of the other improvements.
BTW I find the 702s to be a good, comfortable fit for me, in contrast to the Senn 600 and 650, both of which put my TM joint into a painful vise grip.post #11 of 1210/15/11 at 10:51pmpost #12 of 1211/30/11 at 4:42pm
Reply about the burson amp with akg 701 phones.I have a burson ha-160 amp and it does drive the 701s fairly well.If you do get a burson amp I suggest that you replace the stock fuse(easily done from the back panel) with a hifi tuning fuse of the same value.I might also suggest a hifi tuning silver star fuse.I tried a hifi tuning gold fuse also but imho i thought the silver star fuse brought out the best from the burson amp the bass being tighter and it improved the the imaging more than the gold fuse.I would also suggest you upgrade the stock power cord.I replaced mine with a pangea ac-14 power cord from audio advisor and got a substantial improvement in the bursons sound quality.This is a no brainer the pangea power cord is only about thirty dollars.
- How does the Burson HA-160 do with AKG K702 phones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music... 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 minutes ago
- › (NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs! 4 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker... by NightFlight
- › Emotiva Stealth Eight by Audiobahn808
- › AKG K7XX by Change is Good
- › Symphonized Wraith Premium Genuine Wood Headphones by cmdrmcgarrett
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by Dogmatrix
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3