Is there going to be a balanced output version???
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryDACstagged by System, 6/22/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/22/12
- productStockholm High Resolution Digital to Analog Converter with Tube - Blacktagged by System, 6/22/12
Related Forum Threads
- REVIEW: MHDT Labs Stockholm DAC Last post on 2/11/13 at 5:18pm in Dedicated Source Components
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- SPDIF connection between PC and DAC... Last post on 8/27/12 at 8:46am in Dedicated Source Components
- Computer/DAC vs. DAP as source component Last post on 8/26/12 at 2:12am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Preamble: It is finally happening – Brainwavz Audio is making in-ears with Balanced Armature drivers again. After they were introduced to the public few months ago, the two single-BA...
The Lyra, released back in 2014-15 was refreshed along with Campfire Audio's dynamic and hybrid lineup as the Lyra II, and is a personal single dynamic driver favourite. We would like to thank...
Mdht Stockholm - New Dac w/Asynch USB Input - Page 3post #31 of 14610/2/11 at 10:55am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 14610/2/11 at 11:05amQuote:
What I'd really like to see is how this fairs next to both lightly and highly modded Havanas
In any case, this guy has been put on my short list for my home stereo setup, but as it's no rush I'm holding off until the Schiit statement DAC hits the market.post #33 of 14610/2/11 at 11:21ampost #34 of 14610/2/11 at 11:42ampost #35 of 14610/2/11 at 3:24pm
I don't know much about the details of digital, but I would have thought the PCM56P chip would only do 16 bit/44.1 kHz. This DAC says it uses the same chip yet does 24 bit/192 kHz. Can someone explain how this works?post #36 of 14610/2/11 at 3:33pm>I don't know much about the details of digital, but I would have thought the PCM56P chip would only do 16 bit/44.1 kHz. This DAC says it uses the same chip yet does 24 bit/192 kHz. >Can someone explain how this works?
Isn't it about the Digital receiver?
Havana (CS8414), Stockholm (CS8416)post #37 of 14610/3/11 at 12:31am
for kiteki off topic (Click to show)Quote:
oh for sure, if you dont count time and dont care about casework, or upgraded parts etc you can save cash, but not heaps and if thats the motivation for doing it youde be disappointed
better than silver RCA? absolutely!! being silver will not help digital signal integrity. personally for coax i use belden 1693A solid copper coax in ptfe, good up to 3ghz signal. combined with high quality amphenol or lemo 75ohm bnc its win.
check out the ackodac AKD16, which is a balanced dac based on the es9016 sabre. not cheap, but cheapish considering everything is on the one board including volume control and quite a respectible output buffer based on lme49610, its basically pretty close to a diy anedio D1. so will drive headphones quite well directly.
we should probably move this to pm thoughpost #38 of 14610/3/11 at 12:55am
its a single ended resistor ladder dac chip, perhaps you could fake a balanced output by using multiple chips, but it wouldnt truly be balanced. one assumes they are using the current out rather than its internal opamp and probably they have used multiple chips to get higher resolution as yes its only a 16 bit chip with 92db dnr, less than an ipodpost #39 of 14610/5/11 at 6:34pmpost #40 of 14610/7/11 at 6:51ampost #41 of 14610/7/11 at 8:19amQuote:
The unit can receive 24 bits but cannot use 8 of them
In fact the performance is late 80s. It does manage 16 bit performance at chip level (and full scale) but has some roll-off at implementation ( Frequency response: 20 Hz to 18 kHz (± 2dB)) even the chip itself can do better so I assume it is the implementation that damages this, they claim no filters, the chip is rated at a THD of -92db which is decent enough.
While > 18Khz stuff is largely irrelevant for music it does not indicate competent modern design and you have to pay over a grand for the privelege ?.
It is highly possible that this technically underwhelming level of performance is not audibly objectionable but again why pay extra for sub-par performance ?post #42 of 14610/7/11 at 11:14amQuote:While > 18Khz stuff is largely irrelevant for music it does not indicate competent modern design and you have to pay over a grand for the privelege ?.
It is highly possible that this technically underwhelming level of performance is not audibly objectionable but again why pay extra for sub-par performance ?
But why not pay if the 'problem' is not audible and perhaps the DAC sounds great:)post #43 of 14610/7/11 at 12:04pmQuote:
I think a good vinyl rig sounds better than any 24 bit/192 kHz digital recording set up I've ever heard. And having heard both excellent 44khz/48khz setups and 24 bit/192 kHz digital set ups, I still prefer the former, supposedly "sub par" performance of my 44/48khz Havana ... and even more so than that ... a high end vinyl rig.
Otherwise? Regarding the thought that certain numbers and gross measurements equal a "technically underwhelming level of performance" when considering the human appreciation of music?
For me? The music is about my brain and ears and emotions, not so much mathematics.
Edited by s1rrah - 10/7/11 at 2:54pmpost #44 of 14610/7/11 at 12:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by s1rrah
I think a good vinyl rig sounds better than any 24 bit/192 kHz digital recording set up I've ever heard. And having heard both excellent 44khz/48khz setups and 24 bit/192 kHz digital set ups, I still prefer the former, supposedly "sub par" performance of my Havana, say ... and even more so than that ... a high end vinyl rig.
The music is about my brain and ears and emotions, not so much mathematics.
Totally agree with you.
The Stockholm DAC is supposedly more detailed than Havana. I am wondering if it is a good thing or not...post #45 of 14610/7/11 at 2:49pmQuote:
Well, other than the designer's comments (which I have found to be accurate in their description of the Havana DAC), I've yet to hear any users make direct comparisons. So, before spending any money, I'm going to wait for some serious reviews from Havana owners to surface before making an investment in the new DAC (agonizing wait! I google it every morning, LOL).
I'm *completely* pleased with my desktop rig (Havana included) and have been for almost 3 years now ... and so, it will take some strong testimony to convince me to sell the Havana and buy the Stockholm.
- Mdht Stockholm - New Dac w/Asynch USB Input
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 14 seconds ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 58 seconds ago
- › The Best audiophile tracks to test equipment 59 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 3 minutes ago
- › sennheiser momentum 2.0 over the ear jack question 3 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by FortisFlyer75
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by twister6
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear