Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure Srh840 vs. Grado SR80i
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure Srh840 vs. Grado SR80i

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 

Hi guys,

 

I just joined Head-Fi recently hoping to get some more info on building my head-fi system.

 

I want to know, in your opinion, what's better: the Shure Srh840 or the Grado SR80i's?

 

I've had my eye on a few other headphones, but from the reviews I've read, these seem to be the best choices. Also, I'll be using the Maverick Audio DAC-1 to drive them.

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 32

These are 2 very different headphones. If you are looking for something very fun and plan to listen to quite a bit of rock I would recommend the Grado's. If you plan to listen to everything else I would take the SRH-840's. But you should probably be looking at the sr-225 instead of the sr-80.

post #3 of 32

Tough choice. If you are rock, metal or acoustic guitar music orientated then the SR80i will be the

number #1 sonically speaking. Aesthetics and being leaky might be sufficient drawbacks for

you though, but they will sound better for those genres.

 

The 840 is a great all round can, just be careful with the folding hinges, clumsy manhandling

can result in breakage.

post #4 of 32
Thread Starter 

 

Well, that brings up a new question: The Shure or the Sr225i's?

post #5 of 32
Thread Starter 

What about the Shure's or the Grado's when it comes to portability? I know the Shure's can fold, but after what you just said, they may not be a good choice to be carrying around in my backpack.

post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterevo View Post

What about the Shure's or the Grado's when it comes to portability? I know the Shure's can fold, but after what you just said, they may not be a good choice to be carrying around in my backpack.



I carry my SR80i's around in my rucksuck, I use a clothed bag to store them in and make sure that they don't get

squashed by books or other heavier items. They're pretty rugged.

 

Otherwise, just them hang from your neck, they're pretty light and comfortable (not to mention fashionable! :-))

 

If you're hell bent on giving them a really rough time then get an Audio Technica M50.

post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post

I carry my SR80i's around in my rucksuck, I use a clothed bag to store them in and make sure that they don't get

squashed by books or other heavier items. They're pretty rugged.

 

Otherwise, just them hang from your neck, they're pretty light and comfortable (not to mention fashionable! :-))

 

If you're hell bent on giving them a really rough time then get an Audio Technica M50.



I have both the m50's and the sr80i's. I love them both, and both have very different 'house' sounds. If you asked me which was my favorite, and the most fun to listen too, it would be the grados. But at the end of the day, you would have to pry both of them out of my cold dead hands.

 

post #8 of 32
Thread Starter 

After what you guys have said, I'm favoring the Grado's over the Shure's. But, what are the differences between the SR80i's and the SR225i's?

post #9 of 32

If you are buying the SRH840 new Shure has good customer service and warranty. In my experience the SRH840 are very durable, portable use wise. More durable then the Grado but Grado are cheap to fix.

The SRH840 is a better do it all headphone. Not that SRH840 are ugly but Grados looks better in public (ironically they are open so not ideal for public use)  and Grado sounds more interesting.

Personally, I found it difficult to listen to music in louder volumes with the SR-80i and 125 over long periods so I got the MS1i instead 

post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterevo View Post

After what you guys have said, I'm favoring the Grado's over the Shure's. But, what are the differences between the SR80i's and the SR225i's?



Better cable, fuller sound, slightly better detail, more bass quality and quantity. Bowl pads as standard instead of flat foam on the SR80i's.

 

But the SR80i's do sound more airy if you get a spare set of bowls to use as an extra.

post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post

Better cable, fuller sound, slightly better detail, more bass quality and quantity. Bowl pads as standard instead of flat foam on the SR80i's.

 

But the SR80i's do sound more airy if you get a spare set of bowls to use as an extra.

 

225i's will respond to amplification a tad more than the SR80i's.



 

post #12 of 32
Thread Starter 

I just came upon something: the Superlux HD668B. Are the Grado's out of their league or around the same level with them?

post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmi View Post

Tough choice. If you are rock, metal or acoustic guitar music orientated then the SR80i will be the

number #1 sonically speaking. Aesthetics and being leaky might be sufficient drawbacks for

you though, but they will sound better for those genres.

 

The 840 is a great all round can, just be careful with the folding hinges, clumsy manhandling

can result in breakage.


I have 2 problems with this post.

 

1. I prefer the smooth sound of the Shure Srh840 over the grado sound for rock and metal. Most rock/metal is recorded bad and will sound incredibly harsh on grado's.

 

2. Um what? I have never had issues with the shure folding hinges. If your really rough with them then maybe but they should last a long time.

 

My vote goes to the shure for better overall sound quality and durability.

 

post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterevo View Post

I just came upon something: the Superlux HD668B. Are the Grado's out of their league or around the same level with them?


I have yet to hear them but some long standing members stand by it as a very decent AKG replica of the 242/141 - that

is speaking in terms of its appearance.

 

One thing is for sure, it will not sound like a Grado. Nothing does.

 

Depends on your music - if you're a trance, beats, basshead - forget the Grado - it's for acoustic, jazz, metal and rock.

 

post #15 of 32
Thread Starter 

AT this point, I really am leaning toward the Grado's. Most of what I listen to is rock and  metal, and I just really like the look of them in comparison to the Shure's. But I have to ask, are you having any problems with the comfort of it? I read that the main complaints with the Grado's is with the pads, but of course there are modifications that can fix it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure Srh840 vs. Grado SR80i