So I recently got into the audiophile game with grado sr-80i's and an e-11, and I was wondering how the monster turbines are, as I have been looking for some decent iems. On Amazon, they are going for ~$85, is that a good deal? They almost definitely will not be fake, as they are shipping from amazon themselves, but I was wondering if they are good for the music I listen to, classic rock, and some dubstep/house when I am on the go. Thanks!
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
- brandMEElectronicstagged by System, 9/29/11
- productMEElectronics Clarity Series CC51-BK Ceramic In-Ear Headphone for iPod, iPhone, MP3/CD/DVD Players (Black)tagged by System, 9/29/11
- productMonster Turbine In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- MEElectronics CC-51P Review Last post on 6/2/11 at 2:23am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need advice on portable headphones Last post on 4/13/11 at 12:34pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones for Post-Hardcore? Last post on 6/16/12 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- On-ear headphones $50-$100 Last post on 3/31/13 at 3:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- A newbie's first pair of Real headphones, any recommendations? <$150 shipped Last post on 11/14/12 at 6:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Monster Turbines?post #1 of 109/29/11 at 2:54pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 109/29/11 at 3:19pm
The Turbine's good for the price especially if you like gobs of bass, but I'd recommend the Meelec CC51 instead. $35 cheaper and a bit better SQ. You can get it with a mic/remote, too.post #3 of 109/29/11 at 4:20pmThread Starter
How is the durability of the Meelec compare to the Turbines. Also, is the bass overpowering on the Turbines, like Beats, or is it fine or able to be equed out while preserving the mids and highs? I do like my music a little warm, and I like the look of the Turbines. I am definitely leaning towards the Turbinespost #4 of 109/29/11 at 5:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by feteru
How is the durability of the Meelec compare to the Turbines. Also, is the bass overpowering on the Turbines, like Beats, or is it fine or able to be equed out while preserving the mids and highs? I do like my music a little warm, and I like the look of the Turbines. I am definitely leaning towards the Turbines
I'm not sure how the build quality of the turbines are, but i can tell you that i have gone through 3 cc51s in just one monthpost #5 of 109/29/11 at 5:28pmThread Starterpost #6 of 109/29/11 at 9:38pmpost #7 of 104/15/12 at 12:17pmpost #8 of 104/15/12 at 1:25pm
I agree. I had both the Miles Davis Tribute's and the Copper's, and sound stopped coming out of the left side on BOTH sets within a year. The RMA process was painfully slow for the Tribute's--in fact, I sent them in back in the beginning of March and only received my replacements (Trumpet's) a whole month and a half later.Quote:post #9 of 104/15/12 at 3:28pm
turbine's aren't great (known fact) for durability.
terms of SQ....
If bloated bass is what you seek - then you got yourself a winner with the MT's...post #10 of 104/15/12 at 6:00pm
After a few days of listening I agree bass on turbines can be bloated also missing hard hitting punch from other IEM's I own, it's far from lacking, it has what I'd call a bass response of it's own nature. I think tuned in a way to focus on a selection of listeners, not to hard, not to loud, but enough to please others in need. However the highs are a different story. There's some complicated songs in my library (mostly electronic / dubstep) other headphones I own can't keep up with in speed which turns the tune into an exhausted hissing mess. Turbines hold it together with great separation in that area with nice sparkle, speed and detail.
(E11 used) Continuing on with the bass, there's nothing...nothing I've heard to date that hits harder downstairs than Hippo VB, especially sub bass regions. I was expecting some competition from turbines in this area. Turbines try to get down low but simply cut off before reaching 100% brain squishy level, however it does this without bleeding into mids and highs very well at low /mid volumes, if you try to pump up volume they simply start labouring (especially with E11) Hippo VB on the other hand go all the way down to china town and beyond to a the point you think you're going to break something inside your brain, also.. with bucket loads of volume left over.
Another thing, turbines do not like being amped imo, they don't mind a little at lower volumes, have a nice sweet spot but if you think turbines means, "louder better stronger" think again, anything past 3.5 / 8 low power / low gain on my E11 they say 'I can't do this' packing up shop pretty easily, Where as Hippo VB just eat it up. Even My Phillips 3580 chew the amp up, but not my turbines.
At the end of the day I think the turbines are great for those wanting to use HO, what they do, they do right for most parts but there's that old saying of there's others better for cheaper, If you can pick them up from Monsters outlet store or member here for $50 as I did by all means that's a great buy, would I pay $85? yes I probably would, but the full asking price of $279 in our Australian stores is a far cry from what they're worth. Please remember my comparison of the Hippo VB and Turbines was only for the bass section. not as a whole IEM where the turbines win hands down.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 4/15/12 at 7:24pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Monster Turbines?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.2 3 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 6 minutes ago
- › Straight Dope on Balanced out vs S.E on dac/amp 9 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 9 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 9 minutes ago
- › Apple Touch 5G thread. 10 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 11 minutes ago
- › Perfect Seal SportBud Silver by DreamKing
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by RudeWolf
- › Grado Labs SR80e by Pokemonn
- › Aune B1 by money4me247
- › Hippo Biscuit by BruceBanner
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones by remwang
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2