So I recently got into the audiophile game with grado sr-80i's and an e-11, and I was wondering how the monster turbines are, as I have been looking for some decent iems. On Amazon, they are going for ~$85, is that a good deal? They almost definitely will not be fake, as they are shipping from amazon themselves, but I was wondering if they are good for the music I listen to, classic rock, and some dubstep/house when I am on the go. Thanks!
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
- brandMEElectronicstagged by System, 9/29/11
- productMEElectronics Clarity Series CC51-BK Ceramic In-Ear Headphone for iPod, iPhone, MP3/CD/DVD Players (Black)tagged by System, 9/29/11
- productMonster Turbine In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- MEElectronics CC-51P Review Last post on 6/2/11 at 2:23am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need advice on portable headphones Last post on 4/13/11 at 12:34pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones for Post-Hardcore? Last post on 6/16/12 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- On-ear headphones $50-$100 Last post on 3/31/13 at 3:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- A newbie's first pair of Real headphones, any recommendations? <$150 shipped Last post on 11/14/12 at 6:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I will bypass the quality of their sound, as pretty much everyone has covered this topic above me... I have to say, I was not impressed with their cable quality, but apart from this, it seems to...
I am going to keep this short. SOURCE: Cowon C2 320 Kbps Mp3 and Flac files. GOOD: - Fits my ear properly. I am sure, whatever i do, they won't fall off. - Isolation, is...
Welcome to another review , today we have the J46BT IEM by JBL I will have a video review linked to this review soon but ...that's the future , this IEM was quite interesting since its...
Nothing is perfect & these earbuds are certainly a compromise. None the less, they are not too bright, not too boomy, not too recessed, & not too expensive. The sound is overall rich & smooth;...
I bought these to replace my Sennheiser HD25-I as they were quite uncomfortable to use for extended periods of time. Whilst these are incredibly comfortable, the sound isn't something I'm used...
Monster Turbines?post #1 of 109/29/11 at 2:54pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 109/29/11 at 3:19pm
The Turbine's good for the price especially if you like gobs of bass, but I'd recommend the Meelec CC51 instead. $35 cheaper and a bit better SQ. You can get it with a mic/remote, too.post #3 of 109/29/11 at 4:20pmThread Starter
How is the durability of the Meelec compare to the Turbines. Also, is the bass overpowering on the Turbines, like Beats, or is it fine or able to be equed out while preserving the mids and highs? I do like my music a little warm, and I like the look of the Turbines. I am definitely leaning towards the Turbinespost #4 of 109/29/11 at 5:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by feteru
How is the durability of the Meelec compare to the Turbines. Also, is the bass overpowering on the Turbines, like Beats, or is it fine or able to be equed out while preserving the mids and highs? I do like my music a little warm, and I like the look of the Turbines. I am definitely leaning towards the Turbines
I'm not sure how the build quality of the turbines are, but i can tell you that i have gone through 3 cc51s in just one monthpost #5 of 109/29/11 at 5:28pmThread Starterpost #6 of 109/29/11 at 9:38pmpost #7 of 104/15/12 at 12:17pmpost #8 of 104/15/12 at 1:25pm
I agree. I had both the Miles Davis Tribute's and the Copper's, and sound stopped coming out of the left side on BOTH sets within a year. The RMA process was painfully slow for the Tribute's--in fact, I sent them in back in the beginning of March and only received my replacements (Trumpet's) a whole month and a half later.Quote:post #9 of 104/15/12 at 3:28pm
turbine's aren't great (known fact) for durability.
terms of SQ....
If bloated bass is what you seek - then you got yourself a winner with the MT's...post #10 of 104/15/12 at 6:00pm
After a few days of listening I agree bass on turbines can be bloated also missing hard hitting punch from other IEM's I own, it's far from lacking, it has what I'd call a bass response of it's own nature. I think tuned in a way to focus on a selection of listeners, not to hard, not to loud, but enough to please others in need. However the highs are a different story. There's some complicated songs in my library (mostly electronic / dubstep) other headphones I own can't keep up with in speed which turns the tune into an exhausted hissing mess. Turbines hold it together with great separation in that area with nice sparkle, speed and detail.
(E11 used) Continuing on with the bass, there's nothing...nothing I've heard to date that hits harder downstairs than Hippo VB, especially sub bass regions. I was expecting some competition from turbines in this area. Turbines try to get down low but simply cut off before reaching 100% brain squishy level, however it does this without bleeding into mids and highs very well at low /mid volumes, if you try to pump up volume they simply start labouring (especially with E11) Hippo VB on the other hand go all the way down to china town and beyond to a the point you think you're going to break something inside your brain, also.. with bucket loads of volume left over.
Another thing, turbines do not like being amped imo, they don't mind a little at lower volumes, have a nice sweet spot but if you think turbines means, "louder better stronger" think again, anything past 3.5 / 8 low power / low gain on my E11 they say 'I can't do this' packing up shop pretty easily, Where as Hippo VB just eat it up. Even My Phillips 3580 chew the amp up, but not my turbines.
At the end of the day I think the turbines are great for those wanting to use HO, what they do, they do right for most parts but there's that old saying of there's others better for cheaper, If you can pick them up from Monsters outlet store or member here for $50 as I did by all means that's a great buy, would I pay $85? yes I probably would, but the full asking price of $279 in our Australian stores is a far cry from what they're worth. Please remember my comparison of the Hippo VB and Turbines was only for the bass section. not as a whole IEM where the turbines win hands down.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 4/15/12 at 7:24pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Monster Turbines?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 3 seconds ago
- › Fiio X3 Vs Fiio E18? 22 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 58 seconds ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 13 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › Good value headphone amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by Head-Head
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by G2F
- › ALO Audio The National by pieman3141
- › Ferrari AAV-1LFH009K Cavallino T350 Over-Ear Headphones by ourfpshero
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by H20Fidelity
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by stpope
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude