I mean used one if you do not mind buying used...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 500A different than HD 500 Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need upgrade advice! Last post on 1/3/12 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598, 558, 518; which one do you recommend me? Last post on 1/8/13 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing guidance with Sennheiser Last post on 9/19/11 at 4:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Disclaimer: I would like to sincerely thank Salsera and Brainwavz for providing the sample S5 for this review. For most of my audio listening “career”, I haven’t been a big fan of...
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 7732/18/13 at 10:19ampost #93 of 7732/21/13 at 5:21pm
The refurbished HD558s just arrived ($105 price) they look brand new. I'm currently listening to a Flac sampler from Linn records which has a good selection of different types of music. My Fiio E7 drives these well and so far these blow my HD238s away in most ways detail, sound quality (although the 238s still sound good). So far the only thing I don't like is that the 558s put a lot of pressure on the sides of my head and feel like a lengthy session will give me a headache. The 238s feel like you're wearing nothing. I hope these loosen up. I will report as I listen further.post #94 of 7732/21/13 at 8:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by teb1013
The refurbished HD558s just arrived ($105 price) they look brand new. I'm currently listening to a Flac sampler from Linn records which has a good selection of different types of music. My Fiio E7 drives these well and so far these blow my HD238s away in most ways detail, sound quality (although the 238s still sound good). So far the only thing I don't like is that the 558s put a lot of pressure on the sides of my head and feel like a lengthy session will give me a headache. The 238s feel like you're wearing nothing. I hope these loosen up. I will report as I listen further.
Yeah the clamping force will go down.. yours must be fairly new because i've had mine now for 2 weeks and they fit nicely now. Also, you should check into doing the foam mod for these. Most people recommend it, some don't. IMO it does increase (decrease?) the "transparency" of the sound, making them more like the 598's... it's kinda of a debatable subject though. You can remove the foam and test it yourself. It is reversible so you got nothing to lose.
Edited by joshwalnut - 2/21/13 at 8:24pmpost #95 of 7732/24/13 at 9:34am
For the past 3 days I've been listening to the 558s every chance I get. The clamping pressure went down pretty quickly and these are now more comfortable than the little on ear 238s. Sound wise I still find the characteristics of the little cans similar. It is in the layers of detail that the 558s really excell. I don't know if these are "burning in" or if I am just getting used to them, but the richness and clarity is marvelous. Of course I've not heard higher end headphones like the HD650, 700, and 800 (keeping to Sennheiser) and my set up is modest to say the least ( mostly classical and jazz from flac (some mp3 and satellite radio too) on an iPad 3 through a camera connection to a Fiio E7) but I'm pretty happy at this point. I still haven't done the mod, it looks simple enough but I'm pretty clumsy! My next consideration will be a little tube amp/dac, my budget is limited, would a hifiman ef-2a be a step up? I was even wondering about a little Bravo (using the Fiio dac) or are such things a waste? (I'm really interested in trying tube sound without big cost). Thanks for the advise.post #96 of 7733/2/13 at 11:01pm
A dip in 7-8kHz, quite a stark opposite from HD25-1, there.
It sounds cleaner with some dynamat on the backs of the drivers. It's still dark and slightly bassy without the foam tapes in the cups. They just make the sound mushier, yuck.
Dat timbre. Time to wake up RE0 so I can judge whether HD558/598 can compare well to HD600/RE0. Might be close, I think.post #97 of 7733/7/13 at 8:26pmpost #98 of 7733/14/13 at 6:33pm
I bought these refurbished on Amazon $110. These are my first open air cans and it really is a different experience for me. Currently I'm listening to some John Coltrane and I swear you can hear the spit going into the horn. Lol just kidding. Does anyone know a good computer amp to use with these? You can just direct to a thread if you like.post #99 of 7733/14/13 at 6:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by myunclesnephew
I bought these refurbished on Amazon $110. These are my first open air cans and it really is a different experience for me. Currently I'm listening to some John Coltrane and I swear you can hear the spit going into the horn. Lol just kidding. Does anyone know a good computer amp to use with these? You can just direct to a thread if you like.
Do you mean a sound card? I like the new Creative Z series myself.post #100 of 7733/14/13 at 9:34pmIf you want a dac/amp that plugs into the USB port and can be used as a portable for other sources, Fiio offers a number of low cost selections. I use an E7 which is entry level, but is fine for driving the 558s. I have been using these for a month and they continue to fulfill my needs. Of course there are plenty of threads about these and desktop amps and dacs. I currently am very interested in getting an inexpensive tube unit and am considering the hifiman ef2a or the Aune T1. Does anyone have suggestions?post #101 of 7733/19/13 at 6:27ampost #102 of 7733/20/13 at 5:50ampost #103 of 7733/20/13 at 10:21amQuote:
Not unless it's a really crappy amp or DAC.
If it is causing any coloration, it's usually very minor. I know that the Fiio E10 is especially bad with HD-598/DJ100 and most Sennheisers (to my ears).post #104 of 7733/20/13 at 12:53pmtdockweiler, do you mean all Fiios or just the E10? My 558s sound good with the E7 (but it is my only experience with these headphones). I would be interested if someone answers my inquiries about recommendations for an inexpensive tube amp for the 558s.post #105 of 7733/20/13 at 1:08pmQuote:
I think the E10 sounded a bit too warm for my DJ100, M50 and 598. E7 seems like it would be perfect for the HD-598, but I haven't heard the E7 in about a year or more.
I reminded me a bit of the Ipod Touch 2G for whatever reason. That Ipod Touch 2G loves Sennheiser headphones.
I actually like the E11 a bit more than the E11 and I know they used the exact same chipset I believe, but that doesn't mean much.
I still need to try the E17 with the HD-598. I hope it's not just a slightly improved E10.
- Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with modded FW intl ver 2 (Latest... 6 minutes ago
- › Anyone knows what headphone this is... 7 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 8 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by HK_sends
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)