I mean used one if you do not mind buying used...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 500A different than HD 500 Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need upgrade advice! Last post on 1/3/12 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598, 558, 518; which one do you recommend me? Last post on 1/8/13 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing guidance with Sennheiser Last post on 9/19/11 at 4:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 7132/18/13 at 10:19ampost #93 of 7132/21/13 at 5:21pm
The refurbished HD558s just arrived ($105 price) they look brand new. I'm currently listening to a Flac sampler from Linn records which has a good selection of different types of music. My Fiio E7 drives these well and so far these blow my HD238s away in most ways detail, sound quality (although the 238s still sound good). So far the only thing I don't like is that the 558s put a lot of pressure on the sides of my head and feel like a lengthy session will give me a headache. The 238s feel like you're wearing nothing. I hope these loosen up. I will report as I listen further.post #94 of 7132/21/13 at 8:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by teb1013
The refurbished HD558s just arrived ($105 price) they look brand new. I'm currently listening to a Flac sampler from Linn records which has a good selection of different types of music. My Fiio E7 drives these well and so far these blow my HD238s away in most ways detail, sound quality (although the 238s still sound good). So far the only thing I don't like is that the 558s put a lot of pressure on the sides of my head and feel like a lengthy session will give me a headache. The 238s feel like you're wearing nothing. I hope these loosen up. I will report as I listen further.
Yeah the clamping force will go down.. yours must be fairly new because i've had mine now for 2 weeks and they fit nicely now. Also, you should check into doing the foam mod for these. Most people recommend it, some don't. IMO it does increase (decrease?) the "transparency" of the sound, making them more like the 598's... it's kinda of a debatable subject though. You can remove the foam and test it yourself. It is reversible so you got nothing to lose.
Edited by joshwalnut - 2/21/13 at 8:24pmpost #95 of 7132/24/13 at 9:34am
For the past 3 days I've been listening to the 558s every chance I get. The clamping pressure went down pretty quickly and these are now more comfortable than the little on ear 238s. Sound wise I still find the characteristics of the little cans similar. It is in the layers of detail that the 558s really excell. I don't know if these are "burning in" or if I am just getting used to them, but the richness and clarity is marvelous. Of course I've not heard higher end headphones like the HD650, 700, and 800 (keeping to Sennheiser) and my set up is modest to say the least ( mostly classical and jazz from flac (some mp3 and satellite radio too) on an iPad 3 through a camera connection to a Fiio E7) but I'm pretty happy at this point. I still haven't done the mod, it looks simple enough but I'm pretty clumsy! My next consideration will be a little tube amp/dac, my budget is limited, would a hifiman ef-2a be a step up? I was even wondering about a little Bravo (using the Fiio dac) or are such things a waste? (I'm really interested in trying tube sound without big cost). Thanks for the advise.post #96 of 7133/2/13 at 11:01pm
A dip in 7-8kHz, quite a stark opposite from HD25-1, there.
It sounds cleaner with some dynamat on the backs of the drivers. It's still dark and slightly bassy without the foam tapes in the cups. They just make the sound mushier, yuck.
Dat timbre. Time to wake up RE0 so I can judge whether HD558/598 can compare well to HD600/RE0. Might be close, I think.post #97 of 7133/7/13 at 8:26pmpost #98 of 7133/14/13 at 6:33pm
I bought these refurbished on Amazon $110. These are my first open air cans and it really is a different experience for me. Currently I'm listening to some John Coltrane and I swear you can hear the spit going into the horn. Lol just kidding. Does anyone know a good computer amp to use with these? You can just direct to a thread if you like.post #99 of 7133/14/13 at 6:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by myunclesnephew
I bought these refurbished on Amazon $110. These are my first open air cans and it really is a different experience for me. Currently I'm listening to some John Coltrane and I swear you can hear the spit going into the horn. Lol just kidding. Does anyone know a good computer amp to use with these? You can just direct to a thread if you like.
Do you mean a sound card? I like the new Creative Z series myself.post #100 of 7133/14/13 at 9:34pmIf you want a dac/amp that plugs into the USB port and can be used as a portable for other sources, Fiio offers a number of low cost selections. I use an E7 which is entry level, but is fine for driving the 558s. I have been using these for a month and they continue to fulfill my needs. Of course there are plenty of threads about these and desktop amps and dacs. I currently am very interested in getting an inexpensive tube unit and am considering the hifiman ef2a or the Aune T1. Does anyone have suggestions?post #101 of 7133/19/13 at 6:27ampost #102 of 7133/20/13 at 5:50ampost #103 of 7133/20/13 at 10:21amQuote:
Not unless it's a really crappy amp or DAC.
If it is causing any coloration, it's usually very minor. I know that the Fiio E10 is especially bad with HD-598/DJ100 and most Sennheisers (to my ears).post #104 of 7133/20/13 at 12:53pmtdockweiler, do you mean all Fiios or just the E10? My 558s sound good with the E7 (but it is my only experience with these headphones). I would be interested if someone answers my inquiries about recommendations for an inexpensive tube amp for the 558s.post #105 of 7133/20/13 at 1:08pmQuote:
I think the E10 sounded a bit too warm for my DJ100, M50 and 598. E7 seems like it would be perfect for the HD-598, but I haven't heard the E7 in about a year or more.
I reminded me a bit of the Ipod Touch 2G for whatever reason. That Ipod Touch 2G loves Sennheiser headphones.
I actually like the E11 a bit more than the E11 and I know they used the exact same chipset I believe, but that doesn't mean much.
I still need to try the E17 with the HD-598. I hope it's not just a slightly improved E10.
- Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 seconds ago
- › Looking for well-balanced closed headphones with an inline button... 2 minutes ago
- › Help| Audio Technica CKM-500 VS Sony XBA-2 2 minutes ago
- › My DIY electrostatic headphones 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-06-30 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)