Agreed, I'd hate to go a long stretch without my music. Too bad your motherboard amp doesn't have enough power (quality's a different matter). 518s aren't all that hard to drive. I've got the 558s and my motherboard drives it just fine. My iPod touch even drives it just fine. Though I usually don't plug cans into my iPod, I prefer IEM on the go lol.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 500A different than HD 500 Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need upgrade advice! Last post on 1/3/12 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598, 558, 518; which one do you recommend me? Last post on 1/8/13 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing guidance with Sennheiser Last post on 9/19/11 at 4:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Cayin for providing me with a review sample of their new flagship N6 DAP which is currently available on Amazon and from other retailers like...
After picking these up from the Sony Store about a year ago, I can say that these are definitely not worth the $350-$400 price tag. Luckily, I picked them up for around $180 and to me, this seems...
First of all the reason I rate the SE215 5/5* is primarily because of the value it presents under the $100 mark. You will be extremely hard pressed to find a pair of IEMs at this price considering...
I'm all about best use on a budget for a specific person and lifestyle. In my case, the Jaybird Bluebud X's were fantastic. You can check out my review on head fi here, but I also have an older...
SENNHEISER URBANITE XL REVIEW Full sized headphones haven't been part of my usage options for quite some time now. I used to own a Sony MDR-1R but despite the excellent comfort and decent sound my...
Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread - Page 59post #871 of 8761/27/15 at 1:12pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #872 of 8761/27/15 at 3:54pmpost #873 of 8761/28/15 at 2:17pm
Hello everyone! Not so long ago I have received a custom-made pure silver HD 598 replacement cable from latvian cable artisan Konstantin and I loved every bit of it since after that. As it turned out, it was an exquisite purchase. It is time for my review, I reckon, so have a great read.
First things first, I would like to point out that included carrying pouch is superb addition as it was unexpected surprise to me. Very touched! It adds that super quality feel to overall product experience and I am glad I do have ability to transport my cable securely.
Regarding build quality and aesthetics, cable is made exceptionally well and after examined it having in hands, I don't have any grips or cons whatsoever. Images just don't do it justice! Braiding is made very thoughtfully, from corner to corner. Whereas cable can be not-so-flexible and sometimes even stubborn (hey, I think stiffness is easily acceptable for such unique, extraordinary ten-stranded braiding), cable feels very solid and sturdy. It also looks crazy expensive, beautiful, clean and minimalistic. I am serious talking cord draws attention even more than headphones itself. ViaBlue termination plug is also neat. It is stylish, very compact and seems to be made of some sort of quality plastic. Hey, I guess beauty is in simplicity indeed, so I want every cable in my future system look and feel like this!
Well, before jumping into sonic observations, I must admire that I haven't fully burned cable yet, but difference is apparent to me right away. It just nice to know that everything I enjoyed so much will improve even further! After some quality time of careful and critical listening to tracks I am very familiar with, I immediately noticed vastly improved layering, transparency, extension, feeling of ambiance and micro detailing. As pretty usual in audio world, I was kinda satisfied and did not requested for more while using stock cable, everything is looking fine, but then the magic happens, veil you haven't noticed lifts.. and game jumps in another league.
Instruments started to sound a lot more rich, detailed, natural, extended and most importantly, articulated. I am hearing things more cleanly and with greater PRaT. Generally speaking, sonic layers separated from each other and it is now possible to easily pick up individual layers, instruments, secondary vocals and listen to nuances simply not heard before. Music breathes more air, it does sound more open, braver and almost effortlessly. While listening to Amber Rubarth's Sessions From The 17th Ward I can easily feel strong Hirsch Center's ambiance and experience her stellar vocal extension. Although I haven't noticed big difference in already-great soundstage of HD 598, scene presentation sounds just a little bit more realistic, filled, convincing and accurate. Another example would be Bryan Adam's Here I Am live performance when raving crowd can be exactly pinpointed, as it should be, it sounds much more further and hell, so realistic, so holographic. It should be experienced individually to fully get what I am babbling about. Big improvements in speed has also contributed to rendition of complex, congested passages (rock, I look at you) more fluidly, modestly, more accurate -- thing that is Achilles' heel of entire HD 500 lineup.
Reproducing of vocals are also big story regarding this cable. Vocal-centric pieces sounds absolutely unbelievably, so pleasing and heaven-like. It can nearly brought to tears. Vocals started to carry much more emotional energy and sound more bodied, more intimate compared to stock. Micro detailing, articulation, more apparent vocalist image, emotions, breaches and extension of vocals, especially woman-ones is something to die for. No kidding. No more rolled off and/or muffled words. Appreciation of lyrics, of sung story and much greater insight into music flow is what I am experiencing right now. It is now much harder listen to music on background while doing something while using silver cable; you are just forced to relax, close your eyes and get lost in experience this enjoyable.
Last but not least, silver brought excitement of details on the table. Very big amounts of details, though. I am stunned how many things I was missing before, on tracks I am listening for a very very long time. All the ticks, tacks, mastering imperfections and Easter eggs can be catched if, of course, listening to critically. To evaluate the full beauty of this cable you just really must devote your time and soul.
It can be comical and unbelievable, but the most remarkable thing about all these observations is that I am running my headphones off crappy laptops on-board audio. I see big future and unbelievable scaling for Ag and HD 598 combo.
In conclusion, I always was open-minded cable guy, loving and naively believing in snake oil. To stop believing and start experiencing, I pulled the trigger on this amazing and unique cable. I must confess, I wasn't fully confident I will hear an improvement, especially straight from laptop. I was scared it will be just nice and expensive wire upgrade, however boy! how wrong my thoughts was. I was happy re-listening mine entire collection and collecting all this freshly appeared sonic gems. This was so touching and pleasing for me to be witness of cable really making such a difference. It is no way fairytale, this is a real thing and only beginning of my journey. I have really, soberly experienced it, heard and most importantly, felt it! And it doesn't matter now whether or not it is measurable. Pull the trigger, dead reader, you will not be disappointed.
Thank you very much for business, Konstantin, take care.post #874 of 8761/29/15 at 2:16pm
Thanks for the cable review! Seems like a nice cable. Not my specific cup of tea, but a good review nevertheless. I just never felt a cable upgrade to be practical enough price-wise. At the price of a cable that actually makes a noticeable difference in SQ, you're most of the way to a set of cans that's a step up and I'd rather just get the next level cans over cheaper cans and new cables. But to each their ownpost #875 of 8761/30/15 at 5:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by Midgetguy
Thanks for the cable review! Seems like a nice cable. Not my specific cup of tea, but a good review nevertheless. I just never felt a cable upgrade to be practical enough price-wise. At the price of a cable that actually makes a noticeable difference in SQ, you're most of the way to a set of cans that's a step up and I'd rather just get the next level cans over cheaper cans and new cables. But to each their own
Thanks for response! I completely get your point and agree with it. The thing is, for me personally, HD 598's will be keeper for a good year or even more, so why not risk a bit and invest in them?post #876 of 8761/30/15 at 5:56pmQuote:
Yeah, for the long term it might not be a bad idea. I just decided I'd rather get a higher set in the same range or just a completely different headphone altogether. In fact, I bought a set of HD600s. Boy I'm really enjoying these things haha. I didn't fully browse Konstantin's selection or look at his prices, but how much was the cable you bought? Somewhere within about $80 or less? Plus about $160 for the HD598s, it's still a solid set. My used (though pretty much brand new) HD600s were a bit more than $250 shipped so I'm really happy with them.
- Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Testing the claim: "I can hear differences between lossless formats." 1 minute ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015 -- It's Official! 1 minute ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2... MicroSD Slot & 33 hours Hi-Res Playback 1 minute ago
- › Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › How exactly does an amp effect sound? 3 minutes ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by ActiveTechREV
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by d marc0
- › HIFIMAN RE300a(Black) InLine Control Earphone by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by mark2410
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by DJScope
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by CJ09
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by ActiveTechREV
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3