Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread - Page 33

post #481 of 713
I'm interested in the 558 and intend to try it out soon.

But are there any other open / semi-open headphones at this price point that should also be on my radar?
post #482 of 713

Thanks for posting that Headphonia link, Mannn..........I'm keen to try the mod after I buy the HD558s.  Need a portable hp and this'll work great with a shorter cable too!  Cheers,  Alejandro

post #483 of 713

So I own HD 598s right now, kind of for my own experimentation's sake but anyone know off the top of their head some budget headphones that both have similar and opposite sound signatures to HD 598s? By budget I mean probably under $50-100 and if I wasn't clear I mean two separate pairs.


Edited by Demoninja - 12/29/13 at 1:39am
post #484 of 713

So I just got myself some HD598s.  They are my first pair of open headphones and my first Sennheisers.  Just opened them up, and got them playing, and WOW, these are great.

 

I'll try and do a small review once I've got a good amount of time with them.

post #485 of 713

Has anyone here listened to both the 558's and the 598's? I'm debating between the two and am interested in the differences in sound. 

post #486 of 713

Sent my 558's for repair. The hinges started to crack badly. I miss them too much. 

post #487 of 713

Is there a headphone with a similar sound signature to these (soft sounding highs), but a bigger soundstage?

post #488 of 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post
 

Is there a headphone with a similar sound signature to these (soft sounding highs), but a bigger soundstage?

In term of soundstage size, I've only heard K701 and HD800 actually doing it bigger, though I didn't like the way the AKG does it.

post #489 of 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockasaurus View Post
 

Has anyone here listened to both the 558's and the 598's? I'm debating between the two and am interested in the differences in sound. 

Yes, I have. I own a pair of 558's that I've done the black foam mod. There isn't much of a difference between what I have and the 559's that I've listened to. I wonder how much of any perceptible difference is real or imagined. They use the same driver just as the 518's do only the cups of the 518's are more different.

I think the 559's look nicer, although some folks might not agree.

post #490 of 713

I just picked up a pair of 558s, but it's been quite a while since I've heard the 598s.  IIRC, they're fairly similar.  I'm digging the 558s, especially for $100 (eBay).  It's been a while since I've heard a pair of headphones with pretty much zero sibilance:).

post #491 of 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post
 

I just picked up a pair of 558s, but it's been quite a while since I've heard the 598s.  IIRC, they're fairly similar.  I'm digging the 558s, especially for $100 (eBay).  It's been a while since I've heard a pair of headphones with pretty much zero sibilance:).

Sibilance, who doesn't hate it, especially when accentuated by your gear. Did you look into the black foam mod? Unless one is all thumbs it's really easy to do and takes but a few minutes.

post #492 of 713

Yeah, I've done some research, but I'm fine with the bass levels, and if I want something tighter/cleaner, I've got my ST750s.  Whoo, 1500th post!

post #493 of 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post
 

Yeah, I've done some research, but I'm fine with the bass levels, and if I want something tighter/cleaner, I've got my ST750s.  Whoo, 1500th post!

You can thank me for your reaching that milestone. :beerchug:

post #494 of 713

Hey, everyone!  Look over here!  StanD helped me!:)

post #495 of 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post
 

Hey, everyone!  Look over here!  StanD helped me!:)

I'm so touched by his kindheartness~

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread