New in the forums , just ordered my 558's a few days ago after many hours of researching all about it (and amps/DACs). The only frustrating part for me is the wait .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 500A different than HD 500 Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need upgrade advice! Last post on 1/3/12 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598, 558, 518; which one do you recommend me? Last post on 1/8/13 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing guidance with Sennheiser Last post on 9/19/11 at 4:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 7135/11/13 at 12:17pmpost #213 of 7135/11/13 at 1:02pmQuote:Quote:
Your enthusiastic review would make me want to get these if I didn't have them already! glad you like them as much as I do. I agree that an amp brings out the best in these. I use a Fiio E7 amp/dac with CCK from the I pad. With an iPhone (which won't work with the CCK) a line out like the Fiio L3 is preferable to using the headphone jack on the iPhone.post #214 of 7135/12/13 at 2:06amQuote:Originally Posted by teb1013
Your enthusiastic review would make me want to get these if I didn't have them already! glad you like them as much as I do. I agree that an amp brings out the best in these. I use a Fiio E7 amp/dac with CCK from the I pad. With an iPhone (which won't work with the CCK) a line out like the Fiio L3 is preferable to using the headphone jack on the iPhone.
The E7 can bring out good sound of the hd 558? A fiio E11 is appropiate?Quote:
Good Review of this headphones. I can see that you are enjoying the cans so much!Quote:
Yeah, is very frustrating!! I ordered mine and 1 week and 4 days later i had the headphones in my house :)post #215 of 7135/12/13 at 3:14am
Very nice review!
Unfortunately these cans can't hold a candle in pure detail vs the SRH940...
Though the seperation and layering surpasses the SRH940.post #216 of 7135/12/13 at 9:03amQuote:
Nice review Potter, thanks for sharing.
I agree with most of what you said, only I disagree (kind of) with your amp recommendation. In my opinion, one really only needs an amp if using a laptop/PC as a source. Unless you have a high quality soundcard, using an outboard amp/DAC is the best way to bypass the poor onboard sound of most computers. Something inexpensive like the the E7 is all you need for great sound. I cant speak for all DAPs, but the iPods and Sansa Clips I own have terrific built-in amps and DACs that are a fine match for the easy to drive HD5XX.
I have compared the sound of my 558's between my iPod and Sansa Clip against my Benchmark DAC1 and I really cant hear a difference. The Clip + 558 combo is a fantastic "on the go rig" that is very reminiscent of my home HD800 setup. Honestly, when I listen to it, I sometimes ask myself if I really need the HD800's.
For 1/8" adapter, I use the Grado extension. It relieves the stress on the headphone jack.
Edited by palmfish - 5/12/13 at 9:13ampost #217 of 7135/13/13 at 9:49pmQuote:
E7 + FiiO line-out + E11/12 will be better. A desktop amp/DAC will be best if you can go for it. Or E11/12 + an iDevice along with a line-out adapter cable.post #218 of 7135/13/13 at 9:57pm
I just got an Aune T1 and the sound quality of the 558s has improved far more than I ever expected. I think I am now beginning to hear these the way they are meant to be heard, and I thought they sounded good with the Fiio E7 (which I will continue to use when I am mobile). Quite surprising how good this is sounding seeing that many claim that a burn in period is necessary.post #219 of 7135/15/13 at 2:28pmpost #220 of 7135/15/13 at 4:20pmQuote:
Thank You Max, i have now my setup like Ipod ----) Fiio L9 LOD Cable ------) Fiio E11 ------) HD 558. I feel that in this way is more detailed and the bass has a better "airy punchy". Really happy with the upgrade.post #221 of 7135/16/13 at 6:53pm
I may be incredibly off-topic here, but I'll be another to recommend the foam mod on these. I notice no lack of detail and, if a loss of bass control, then a negligible one. Definitely improves the can in my opinion.post #222 of 7135/17/13 at 3:51pmQuote:
bispost #223 of 7135/18/13 at 6:06pm
I had the hd558 and hd598 for about a month and preferred the hd558. The hd598's sounded analytical/dry, but had better speed opposed to the warmer but still detailed hd558's. But during the time I had the hd558's I had a Nuforce uDAC 2 amp/DAC which I used with it; while I had no amp/DAC (good source) to pair with the hd598's at the time I had the hd598's. Does anybody know how the hd598's sound with a good amp/dac?post #224 of 7135/19/13 at 3:12pm
- Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 14 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 35 seconds ago
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 1 minute ago
- › Speaker amps for headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier #11567 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age 4 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)