New in the forums , just ordered my 558's a few days ago after many hours of researching all about it (and amps/DACs). The only frustrating part for me is the wait .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 500A different than HD 500 Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need upgrade advice! Last post on 1/3/12 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598, 558, 518; which one do you recommend me? Last post on 1/8/13 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing guidance with Sennheiser Last post on 9/19/11 at 4:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/ibasso-it03-review/ I was honoured to be approached by iBasso with their first venture into IEM territory and they...
This is my review originally posted on http://www.earphonia.com/2016/10/24/jomo-samba-pro-audio-ciem-review/ Jomo Audio is a Singapore local company that crafts in ear earphones that sound and...
Elephone Whisper Noise Cancelling Earphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to GearBest for the sample. Full review...
Disclaimer: These headphones were sent to me thanks to the Oppo loaner program. They have since been returned and sent to the next reviewer. Want a headphone that sounds excellent, is easy...
Introduction: Unfamiliar Territory A couple of years ago, I was telling my father-in-law about my audio and music hobby. He asked me if the equipment I had was made by "Pioneer, Sony" or...
Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 10785/11/13 at 12:17pmpost #213 of 10785/11/13 at 1:02pmQuote:Quote:
Your enthusiastic review would make me want to get these if I didn't have them already! glad you like them as much as I do. I agree that an amp brings out the best in these. I use a Fiio E7 amp/dac with CCK from the I pad. With an iPhone (which won't work with the CCK) a line out like the Fiio L3 is preferable to using the headphone jack on the iPhone.post #214 of 10785/12/13 at 2:06amQuote:Originally Posted by teb1013
Your enthusiastic review would make me want to get these if I didn't have them already! glad you like them as much as I do. I agree that an amp brings out the best in these. I use a Fiio E7 amp/dac with CCK from the I pad. With an iPhone (which won't work with the CCK) a line out like the Fiio L3 is preferable to using the headphone jack on the iPhone.
The E7 can bring out good sound of the hd 558? A fiio E11 is appropiate?Quote:
Good Review of this headphones. I can see that you are enjoying the cans so much!Quote:
Yeah, is very frustrating!! I ordered mine and 1 week and 4 days later i had the headphones in my house :)post #215 of 10785/12/13 at 3:14am
Very nice review!
Unfortunately these cans can't hold a candle in pure detail vs the SRH940...
Though the seperation and layering surpasses the SRH940.post #216 of 10785/12/13 at 9:03amQuote:
Nice review Potter, thanks for sharing.
I agree with most of what you said, only I disagree (kind of) with your amp recommendation. In my opinion, one really only needs an amp if using a laptop/PC as a source. Unless you have a high quality soundcard, using an outboard amp/DAC is the best way to bypass the poor onboard sound of most computers. Something inexpensive like the the E7 is all you need for great sound. I cant speak for all DAPs, but the iPods and Sansa Clips I own have terrific built-in amps and DACs that are a fine match for the easy to drive HD5XX.
I have compared the sound of my 558's between my iPod and Sansa Clip against my Benchmark DAC1 and I really cant hear a difference. The Clip + 558 combo is a fantastic "on the go rig" that is very reminiscent of my home HD800 setup. Honestly, when I listen to it, I sometimes ask myself if I really need the HD800's.
For 1/8" adapter, I use the Grado extension. It relieves the stress on the headphone jack.
Edited by palmfish - 5/12/13 at 9:13ampost #217 of 10785/13/13 at 9:49pmQuote:
E7 + FiiO line-out + E11/12 will be better. A desktop amp/DAC will be best if you can go for it. Or E11/12 + an iDevice along with a line-out adapter cable.post #218 of 10785/13/13 at 9:57pm
I just got an Aune T1 and the sound quality of the 558s has improved far more than I ever expected. I think I am now beginning to hear these the way they are meant to be heard, and I thought they sounded good with the Fiio E7 (which I will continue to use when I am mobile). Quite surprising how good this is sounding seeing that many claim that a burn in period is necessary.post #219 of 10785/15/13 at 2:28pmpost #220 of 10785/15/13 at 4:20pmQuote:
Thank You Max, i have now my setup like Ipod ----) Fiio L9 LOD Cable ------) Fiio E11 ------) HD 558. I feel that in this way is more detailed and the bass has a better "airy punchy". Really happy with the upgrade.post #221 of 10785/16/13 at 6:53pm
I may be incredibly off-topic here, but I'll be another to recommend the foam mod on these. I notice no lack of detail and, if a loss of bass control, then a negligible one. Definitely improves the can in my opinion.post #222 of 10785/17/13 at 3:51pmQuote:
bispost #223 of 10785/18/13 at 6:06pm
I had the hd558 and hd598 for about a month and preferred the hd558. The hd598's sounded analytical/dry, but had better speed opposed to the warmer but still detailed hd558's. But during the time I had the hd558's I had a Nuforce uDAC 2 amp/DAC which I used with it; while I had no amp/DAC (good source) to pair with the hd598's at the time I had the hd598's. Does anybody know how the hd598's sound with a good amp/dac?post #224 of 10785/19/13 at 3:12pmI only have the HD 558, but if you are comparing the 598 without an amp with the 558 WITH an amp, that does not seem like a fair fight to me. I would love to hear what others would say
- Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › MHDT Labs Pagoda - Any owners out there? 25 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 36 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 51 seconds ago
- › Music City Meet, 6th Edition -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2016 (October... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo issue solutions thread. 1 minute ago
- › Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9! 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 2 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso IT03 by sonickarma
- › Jomo Audio Samba Pro CIEM by sonickarma
- › Elephone Whisper by mark2410
- › OPPO PM-1 by maxh22
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by rebbi
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA MA750i by High-End-Addict
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by HiFiChris
- › 64 Audio U10 by Brooko
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by noobandroid
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...