New in the forums , just ordered my 558's a few days ago after many hours of researching all about it (and amps/DACs). The only frustrating part for me is the wait .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 500A different than HD 500 Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need upgrade advice! Last post on 1/3/12 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598, 558, 518; which one do you recommend me? Last post on 1/8/13 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing guidance with Sennheiser Last post on 9/19/11 at 4:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I feel obligated to share out-of-the-gate that I am no CIEM expert! As a matter of fact, I don't even particularly enjoy IEMs - I love over-ear or on-ear headphones. That said: Experiencing JH...
Like many others on this site, these phones are my stepping stone into the realm of "hi-fi"-headphones. These are indeed a good pair of phones for beginners and old-timers alike, because of their...
Audiofly has made the most comfortable IEMs that I've placed in my ears. They are probably the easiest to insert as well. I was ready to plunk down the cash and go the custom route, but these have...
* Obligatory warning that I am not a professional and am not the best at describing sound qualities of headphones. I don't like to use words like liquid or chocolate because descriptions like those...
Brainwavz have been around since 2008 and have been working on providing improved and more original products as time has gone on. If you are familiar with the last round of Brainwavz offerings it...
Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 7085/11/13 at 12:17pmpost #213 of 7085/11/13 at 1:02pmQuote:Quote:
Your enthusiastic review would make me want to get these if I didn't have them already! glad you like them as much as I do. I agree that an amp brings out the best in these. I use a Fiio E7 amp/dac with CCK from the I pad. With an iPhone (which won't work with the CCK) a line out like the Fiio L3 is preferable to using the headphone jack on the iPhone.post #214 of 7085/12/13 at 2:06amQuote:Originally Posted by teb1013
Your enthusiastic review would make me want to get these if I didn't have them already! glad you like them as much as I do. I agree that an amp brings out the best in these. I use a Fiio E7 amp/dac with CCK from the I pad. With an iPhone (which won't work with the CCK) a line out like the Fiio L3 is preferable to using the headphone jack on the iPhone.
The E7 can bring out good sound of the hd 558? A fiio E11 is appropiate?Quote:
Good Review of this headphones. I can see that you are enjoying the cans so much!Quote:
Yeah, is very frustrating!! I ordered mine and 1 week and 4 days later i had the headphones in my house :)post #215 of 7085/12/13 at 3:14am
Very nice review!
Unfortunately these cans can't hold a candle in pure detail vs the SRH940...
Though the seperation and layering surpasses the SRH940.post #216 of 7085/12/13 at 9:03amQuote:
Nice review Potter, thanks for sharing.
I agree with most of what you said, only I disagree (kind of) with your amp recommendation. In my opinion, one really only needs an amp if using a laptop/PC as a source. Unless you have a high quality soundcard, using an outboard amp/DAC is the best way to bypass the poor onboard sound of most computers. Something inexpensive like the the E7 is all you need for great sound. I cant speak for all DAPs, but the iPods and Sansa Clips I own have terrific built-in amps and DACs that are a fine match for the easy to drive HD5XX.
I have compared the sound of my 558's between my iPod and Sansa Clip against my Benchmark DAC1 and I really cant hear a difference. The Clip + 558 combo is a fantastic "on the go rig" that is very reminiscent of my home HD800 setup. Honestly, when I listen to it, I sometimes ask myself if I really need the HD800's.
For 1/8" adapter, I use the Grado extension. It relieves the stress on the headphone jack.
Edited by palmfish - 5/12/13 at 9:13ampost #217 of 7085/13/13 at 9:49pmQuote:
E7 + FiiO line-out + E11/12 will be better. A desktop amp/DAC will be best if you can go for it. Or E11/12 + an iDevice along with a line-out adapter cable.post #218 of 7085/13/13 at 9:57pm
I just got an Aune T1 and the sound quality of the 558s has improved far more than I ever expected. I think I am now beginning to hear these the way they are meant to be heard, and I thought they sounded good with the Fiio E7 (which I will continue to use when I am mobile). Quite surprising how good this is sounding seeing that many claim that a burn in period is necessary.post #219 of 7085/15/13 at 2:28pmpost #220 of 7085/15/13 at 4:20pmQuote:
Thank You Max, i have now my setup like Ipod ----) Fiio L9 LOD Cable ------) Fiio E11 ------) HD 558. I feel that in this way is more detailed and the bass has a better "airy punchy". Really happy with the upgrade.post #221 of 7085/16/13 at 6:53pm
I may be incredibly off-topic here, but I'll be another to recommend the foam mod on these. I notice no lack of detail and, if a loss of bass control, then a negligible one. Definitely improves the can in my opinion.post #222 of 7085/17/13 at 3:51pmQuote:
bispost #223 of 7085/18/13 at 6:06pm
I had the hd558 and hd598 for about a month and preferred the hd558. The hd598's sounded analytical/dry, but had better speed opposed to the warmer but still detailed hd558's. But during the time I had the hd558's I had a Nuforce uDAC 2 amp/DAC which I used with it; while I had no amp/DAC (good source) to pair with the hd598's at the time I had the hd598's. Does anybody know how the hd598's sound with a good amp/dac?post #224 of 7085/19/13 at 3:12pm
- Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 27 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 1 minute ago
- › Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp 1 minute ago
- › So called fun sound signature 4 minutes ago
- › Which headphones handle very fast, complex music better: Sennheiser... 4 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 5 minutes ago
- › DAC help. 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 9 minutes ago
- › Jerry Harvey Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Custom IEM by mikemercer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones by Im2spec1al
- › AudioFly AF180 In-Ear Monitors by hardbop
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › AKG X323XS by dweaver
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)