New in the forums , just ordered my 558's a few days ago after many hours of researching all about it (and amps/DACs). The only frustrating part for me is the wait .
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD 500A different than HD 500 Last post on 1/20/11 at 9:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need upgrade advice! Last post on 1/3/12 at 7:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 598, 558, 518; which one do you recommend me? Last post on 1/8/13 at 1:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Needing guidance with Sennheiser Last post on 9/19/11 at 4:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
WHY THESE? The kind people on iBuyGou (www.ibuygou.com) kindly offered me a pair of Xiaomi-like headphones to review here, as I actively have been using my Pistons the last year, and as these...
Got one of these for a downstairs/bedroom system I'm trying to put together for peanuts. For your money, you get a very well made little steel box, crinkle finished, painted silver. You can see...
Foreword As the creator of the Titan 1 thread on head-fi, I have most of the information given here placed in the thread; however, this review is a coalescing and enhancement of the various...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Master & Dynamic for providing me with a review sample of ME03 in exchange for my honest opinion. Master & Dynamic definitely knows how to build...
Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 9445/11/13 at 12:17pmpost #213 of 9445/11/13 at 1:02pmQuote:Quote:
Your enthusiastic review would make me want to get these if I didn't have them already! glad you like them as much as I do. I agree that an amp brings out the best in these. I use a Fiio E7 amp/dac with CCK from the I pad. With an iPhone (which won't work with the CCK) a line out like the Fiio L3 is preferable to using the headphone jack on the iPhone.post #214 of 9445/12/13 at 2:06amQuote:Originally Posted by teb1013
Your enthusiastic review would make me want to get these if I didn't have them already! glad you like them as much as I do. I agree that an amp brings out the best in these. I use a Fiio E7 amp/dac with CCK from the I pad. With an iPhone (which won't work with the CCK) a line out like the Fiio L3 is preferable to using the headphone jack on the iPhone.
The E7 can bring out good sound of the hd 558? A fiio E11 is appropiate?Quote:
Good Review of this headphones. I can see that you are enjoying the cans so much!Quote:
Yeah, is very frustrating!! I ordered mine and 1 week and 4 days later i had the headphones in my house :)post #215 of 9445/12/13 at 3:14am
Very nice review!
Unfortunately these cans can't hold a candle in pure detail vs the SRH940...
Though the seperation and layering surpasses the SRH940.post #216 of 9445/12/13 at 9:03amQuote:
Nice review Potter, thanks for sharing.
I agree with most of what you said, only I disagree (kind of) with your amp recommendation. In my opinion, one really only needs an amp if using a laptop/PC as a source. Unless you have a high quality soundcard, using an outboard amp/DAC is the best way to bypass the poor onboard sound of most computers. Something inexpensive like the the E7 is all you need for great sound. I cant speak for all DAPs, but the iPods and Sansa Clips I own have terrific built-in amps and DACs that are a fine match for the easy to drive HD5XX.
I have compared the sound of my 558's between my iPod and Sansa Clip against my Benchmark DAC1 and I really cant hear a difference. The Clip + 558 combo is a fantastic "on the go rig" that is very reminiscent of my home HD800 setup. Honestly, when I listen to it, I sometimes ask myself if I really need the HD800's.
For 1/8" adapter, I use the Grado extension. It relieves the stress on the headphone jack.
Edited by palmfish - 5/12/13 at 9:13ampost #217 of 9445/13/13 at 9:49pmQuote:
E7 + FiiO line-out + E11/12 will be better. A desktop amp/DAC will be best if you can go for it. Or E11/12 + an iDevice along with a line-out adapter cable.post #218 of 9445/13/13 at 9:57pm
I just got an Aune T1 and the sound quality of the 558s has improved far more than I ever expected. I think I am now beginning to hear these the way they are meant to be heard, and I thought they sounded good with the Fiio E7 (which I will continue to use when I am mobile). Quite surprising how good this is sounding seeing that many claim that a burn in period is necessary.post #219 of 9445/15/13 at 2:28pmpost #220 of 9445/15/13 at 4:20pmQuote:
Thank You Max, i have now my setup like Ipod ----) Fiio L9 LOD Cable ------) Fiio E11 ------) HD 558. I feel that in this way is more detailed and the bass has a better "airy punchy". Really happy with the upgrade.post #221 of 9445/16/13 at 6:53pm
I may be incredibly off-topic here, but I'll be another to recommend the foam mod on these. I notice no lack of detail and, if a loss of bass control, then a negligible one. Definitely improves the can in my opinion.post #222 of 9445/17/13 at 3:51pmQuote:
bispost #223 of 9445/18/13 at 6:06pm
I had the hd558 and hd598 for about a month and preferred the hd558. The hd598's sounded analytical/dry, but had better speed opposed to the warmer but still detailed hd558's. But during the time I had the hd558's I had a Nuforce uDAC 2 amp/DAC which I used with it; while I had no amp/DAC (good source) to pair with the hd598's at the time I had the hd598's. Does anybody know how the hd598's sound with a good amp/dac?post #224 of 9445/19/13 at 3:12pmI only have the HD 558, but if you are comparing the 598 without an amp with the 558 WITH an amp, that does not seem like a fair fight to me. I would love to hear what others would say
- Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 28 seconds ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 30 seconds ago
- › Most Underrated Guitarists 58 seconds ago
- › V-moda XS On-Ear Headphones (White/Silver) 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 5 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 6 minutes ago
- › new member, old UE owner, looking to own more IEMs 6 minutes ago
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker... by NightFlight
- › Emotiva Stealth Eight by Audiobahn808
- › AKG K7XX by Change is Good
- › Symphonized Wraith Premium Genuine Wood Headphones by cmdrmcgarrett
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by Dogmatrix
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3