or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread - Page 72

post #1066 of 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

Apologies if this has been asked before. Is it possible to bend the headband on the 598's to relieve the clamp a little?


Best options are to either be patient and they will naturally loosen up (both the clamping force and the ear pads will soften up), wash and dry the ear pads with shampoo and conditioner, or you can find something that is slightly larger than your head (I like lampshades) and when not in use clamp them over it so that over time they will be stretched and loosened.

 

While you can essentially twist and man-handle the headband in all sorts of ways and not have it crack or snap, do YOU want to chance it?

 

:beerchug:

post #1067 of 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansaku View Post
 


Best options are to either be patient and they will naturally loosen up (both the clamping force and the ear pads will soften up), wash and dry the ear pads with shampoo and conditioner, or you can find something that is slightly larger than your head (I like lampshades) and when not in use clamp them over it so that over time they will be stretched and loosened.

 

While you can essentially twist and man-handle the headband in all sorts of ways and not have it crack or snap, do YOU want to chance it?

 

:beerchug:


Agreed, best to just let it loosen and soften up over time. The HD5x8 series are fully plastic so it's a bad idea. The inner extended headband of the HD6X0 series is metal so that's why people can suggest to pull it out all the way and bend out slightly since the metal pieces won't snap.

post #1068 of 1078
This is actually for a friend. I have the 600 which has a metal band inside the plastic. The metal can be bent, taking care not to stress the plastic.
post #1069 of 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismusic View Post

This is actually for a friend. I have the 600 which has a metal band inside the plastic. The metal can be bent, taking care not to stress the plastic.


Exactly. I think the best option probably is to put it on something larger than their head while they don't use it. Cuz I don't feel like my HD558s are much looser than they were new and I never put them on anything larger than my head while not wearing them. Probably the best option.

post #1070 of 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgetguy View Post


Agreed, best to just let it loosen and soften up over time. The HD5x8 series are fully plastic so it's a bad idea. The inner extended headband of the HD6X0 series is metal so that's why people can suggest to pull it out all the way and bend out slightly since the metal pieces won't snap.
Ah. That's what I needed to know. Thanks guys.
post #1071 of 1078
Hey guys.

Just got a pair of 518s for the cheapest of prices and a jds labs cmoybb. I'm not sure if it's the headphones, the amp, or what, but whenever I listen to a song on my galaxy s5 that has a lot of bass on high volume (with bass boost off) i end up getting this crunchy garbled sound. I'm looking for some help isolating the issue to see what I need to do.
post #1072 of 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDreamT2 View Post

Hey guys.

Just got a pair of 518s for the cheapest of prices and a jds labs cmoybb. I'm not sure if it's the headphones, the amp, or what, but whenever I listen to a song on my galaxy s5 that has a lot of bass on high volume (with bass boost off) i end up getting this crunchy garbled sound. I'm looking for some help isolating the issue to see what I need to do.

First off, I believe the HD518 is the bassiest of the HD5x8 line, though someone correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't listened the HD518. Secondly, by high volume, how high are we talking on the amp?

post #1073 of 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgetguy View Post

First off, I believe the HD518 is the bassiest of the HD5x8 line, though someone correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't listened the HD518. Secondly, by high volume, how high are we talking on the amp?

Very near max. And the bass seems ok unless the song has a lot of it, then it's suuuuper garbled like a speaker is starting to blow out.
post #1074 of 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDreamT2 View Post


Very near max. And the bass seems ok unless the song has a lot of it, then it's suuuuper garbled like a speaker is starting to blow out.

That's because it is....essentially, you're running that amp too hard. Every amp has a limit and the closer to that limit you are, the more distortion. And since you're really close to that limit, you're getting a bunch of distortion with the bass notes because low frequencies move the driver the most.

post #1075 of 1078

It's over three years since I've owned these, I figure it's probably overdue for me to put out a review of them.

post #1076 of 1078

hi all..

I purchased my first  decent headphones, a sennheiser HD518 ,more or less 6 months back and I have a question about an "elevation" in the inner back part of the headphones. what is it for?  does it have any function?. im asking because  im curious about it. I would post  a picture but  I just joined the forum and I cannot post pictures.

thanks

post #1077 of 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosan View Post
 

hi all..

I purchased my first  decent headphones, a sennheiser HD518 ,more or less 6 months back and I have a question about an "elevation" in the inner back part of the headphones. what is it for?  does it have any function?. im asking because  im curious about it. I would post  a picture but  I just joined the forum and I cannot post pictures.

thanks

I know exactly what you're talking about. They have it on the HD5x8 series. They call it their E.A.R. technology I think. It's supposed to essentially be a sort of reflective surface to bounce sound and whatever. Really wouldn't be able to say what sort of effect it has unless you had exactly the same headphone without that little bit there.

post #1078 of 1078
It's supposed to improve the imaging of the headphone. I've always had a special liking for my 558 and I suspect that has some to do with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread