Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Block-All-Sound Earplugs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Block-All-Sound Earplugs?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

So, now being a full-time student, I often find myself getting very distracted whenever someone makes the slightest noise around me (studying law is tricky enough as it is, without people walking by, chatting, etc.)

 

Anyone able to recommend a pair of earplugs that block out as much noise as possible? Basicly, I want to have a deaf-switch. I saw there's loads of threads on the earplug matter, but the ones I read were concert related - I don't want to hear everything at a lower volume, I don't want to heir it. etysmile.gif

 

Also, if I could avoid looking like a dork, I would really appreciate it.

post #2 of 10
Problem is that you don't hear all sounds through your ear canal. Sound waves travel through your bones (skull) etc, so you will never be 'deaf'. Best thing would be plugs completely molded to your ears.
post #3 of 10

Just get some foam earplugs and stick them in your ear canal. Should block most sounds and you wont really "look like a dork".

post #4 of 10

Agreed, foam plugs would probably fit the bill. Just make sure you insert them correctly (deep enough).

 

If you're willing to go full dork mode and (combined with earplugs) hear the deafening silence of blood rushing past your ears, ear muffs are probably the way to go. Do it.

4113Z2V0VAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourced View Post

Agreed, foam plugs would probably fit the bill. Just make sure you insert them correctly (deep enough).

 

If you're willing to go full dork mode and (combined with earplugs) hear the deafening silence of blood rushing past your ears, ear muffs are probably the way to go. Do it.

4113Z2V0VAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg



Great suggestion. Thats what i did aswell as use IEMs if am also in the mood for music or games while still blocking out distracting environmental sounds.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 

Oh.. I don't.. No. I don't have the street cred to pull that off. tongue_smile.gif

 

Will probably have to go with foam. Sending my impressions off to JH today for some JH16, but also opting 100USD for the earplugs seems a bit much, considering theyre half the price (and probably similar) at 1964.

post #7 of 10



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal View Post

Oh.. I don't.. No. I don't have the street cred to pull that off. tongue_smile.gif

 

Will probably have to go with foam. Sending my impressions off to JH today for some JH16, but also opting 100USD for the earplugs seems a bit much, considering theyre half the price (and probably similar) at 1964.



 

JH16s on order? You might want to just wait for those: isolation isn't bad on my JH13s, drowning out most office chatter. Even the quietest music makes me oblivious to most conversations. Do you think they won't be enough? I certainly don't think they're dork-mode, if that's what you're worrying about.

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 

I actually had not considered just using those, lol.

 

I guess even without music (if I have music runnin' I tend to drift from my books and focus on the music) they would still isolate a bit, aye?

post #9 of 10


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal View Post

I actually had not considered just using those, lol.

 

I guess even without music (if I have music runnin' I tend to drift from my books and focus on the music) they would still isolate a bit, aye?



Yes. What I was trying to say was that even with no music, office chatter is muffled significantly (as long as they're not right next to you). I usually can't make out the words, so it's not distracting to me. With (quiet) music on, I really am oblivious to most conversations. I can relate to getting distracted by the music when I'm studying, but if I turn it down enough (and you can turn it down quite low on the JH13s without losing much) it's not so bad.

 

Plus, with headphones on, most people leave you alone. Another plus is that custom iems are really quite comfortable, so you won't be limited to 2-3 hours of quiet. Even after long listening sessions, I don't hesitate to put them back in.

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal View Post

Oh.. I don't.. No. I don't have the street cred to pull that off. tongue_smile.gif

 

Will probably have to go with foam. Sending my impressions off to JH today for some JH16, but also opting 100USD for the earplugs seems a bit much, considering theyre half the price (and probably similar) at 1964.



Pretty crazy how silent it is when you're getting the impressions, aye? I thought that it was pretty neat, when they took them out EVERYTHING was loud, lights buzzing, people talking. When they were in my ears, it was probably the quietest state that I've ever experienced.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Block-All-Sound Earplugs?