or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Basshead Club - Page 425  

post #6361 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisxx View Post


Not to sound like an ass, but it's kinda impossible to get MOREBASS without an amp.  The XB1000 are basshead cans, good bass w/o being really muddy (like the xb500) however they are mostly sub bass. 

Iems will likely have the bass you want because they don't NEED an amp, and I honestly haven't heard a pair of cans I can listen to w/o one.

Yeah I understand, the thing is I've stopped using a portable amp while ago and don't invest in iem's no more, I was just wondering if there is a can that has more sub/mid bass than the XB1000 in it's stock default form - no amp or whatever. Money is not an object to me.

post #6362 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Someone asked about the Denon D400 Urban Raver.  I owned these briefly and couldn't have been more disappointed in their sound.  While I suppose they qualify as basshead cans, they are literally one of the worst sounding headphones I have heard at any price- muddy, veiled highs.  I have expressed this opinion in the past regarding these and have yet to have anyone come to their defense, so I'm assuming there is some consensus with these.  Of course, now that I mention this, 20 people will come forward to say how great they are biggrin.gif

To add insult to injury, they are ridiculously overpriced. 

 
+1 and to boot even the beats solo has better highs.... Eww
post #6363 of 11259
Ge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisxx View Post

Not to sound like an ass, but it's kinda impossible to get MOREBASS without an amp.  The XB1000 are basshead cans, good bass w/o being really muddy (like the xb500) however they are mostly sub bass. 
Iems will likely have the bass you want because they don't NEED an amp, and I honestly haven't heard a pair of cans I can listen to w/o one.
Yeah I understand, the thing is I've stopped using a portable amp while ago and don't invest in iem's no more, I was just wondering if there is a can that has more sub/mid bass than the XB1000 in it's stock default form - no amp or whatever. Money is not an object to me.
get one of the cowon players! They have quite a lot of power the c2 is nice! And not to beat a dead horse but vmoda is a great option also. I know this has probably been recommended many times in the tbh thread
Edited by rudeboybass - 5/18/13 at 7:30am
post #6364 of 11259

hurmmm i messed about with the quotes and everything went wonky, so DefQon - both your quotes are put together as one, im sure you dont mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephis View Post

Hello,

I'm looking for IEM basshead if it can also give a good SQ. What best IEM will I get these days with <$100?

Ohh, also I have E11 and E12 for the amps, will be paired with those amps.

Thanks

 

im currently using a pair of velodyne v-pulse (100$, i got them used from a forum member for 60$). not perfect mind you, theyre heavy relative to most iems ive encountered, so when i walk around with them, the cable pulls down on the drivers and makes a very loud, bassy thud with every step. to counter this, i put the left driver in the right ear and vice versa, in order to wear the cable up and around my ear. this more or less takes care of that problem, question is - was i clear about what i do?

 

anyway, PLENTY of bass, deep sub-bass, i think the highs are slightly rolled off, but that might just be because i came from beyer dtx101, which are rather bright. ill qualify this recommendation and explain that i dont use iems very often, only on the bus, for about 20-30 minuets at a time. i was looking for iems with massive bass, so that the bass wont get drowned out by the engine noise. these hit the ticket pretty nicely.

i have since bought a galaxy s3, so i also use the poweramp app that i couldnt use earlyer. if your phone supports this app, its a great investment imo. it has an ok graphic eq that handles pretty well. this way you could make any iem bassy.

the byeredynamic dtx 101 (~80$ new) are also pretty good btw, but the bass, while good, isnt loud enough for my basshead overenthusiastic taste. again, with poweramp i imagine youd be alright with those too. good luck!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

I've got myself an XB1000 lately for shiggles. These things have alright bass, but I need more. Any recommendations?

                                                       

Yeah I understand, the thing is I've stopped using a portable amp while ago and don't invest in iem's no more, I was just wondering if there is a can that has more sub/mid bass than the XB1000 in it's stock default form - no amp or whatever. Money is not an object to me.

same recommendation as before, and the same as most of my recommendations here - equalization =]

i understand these are to be portable? how about "poweramp"? its a very popular app around here, and i can see why too. as mentioned, it has an ok graphic eq that you could use to make any headphone bassy.

if its headphones your after, i admit i havnt much experience, but im using m-100s and am very happy with them, no amp needed. then again, i allways eq, and have never heard the xb1000 so cant compare.

on a side note, if money is no object, the ultrasone signature dj is pretty highly regarded on this forum, with several members saying that its the ultimate basshead can, and if i remember correctly, it does fine without amplification. one day ill have 1000$ to spend on headphones, one day...


Edited by adamlr - 5/18/13 at 9:28am
post #6365 of 11259

the denon ahd400 werent that bad and yes they are way overpriced but I picked them up for £80 brand new and have sold them recently the bass on them was good it had a rumble to them but it was more of the soft bass type of headphone, unlike the xb series which all pound on your head the same goes for the LP2's and the WS99 both of them have a lot of impact. the lp2 having slightly more but the ws99 does not sacrifice mids and highs for the bass like lp2's do. honestly im looking for my next bass head can looking at the pro900 but not sure if it would saound similar to the headphones I already own. any help would be appreciated

post #6366 of 11259

everyone keeps saying the xb500 has more bass than the xb1000 and I own most of the series the xb500,xb700, xb1000, and the xb900. from my experience from all of them the xb1000 has an insane amount of bass so much so that it creates this pressure around your head and shakes your head and that is with the fiio e12 and the BK dual amped and without eq once the are eq the bass just gets better but you wont hear any of the music. the  xb 500 is good but the lack of the soundstage and it easily distorts when it hits the higher volumes. xb700 was a jack of all trades it is right in the middle but if bass is what you want then the xb700 is a let down as the 500's has more, recently I brought the xb900 and these are amazing the clarity of the xb700's and it hits way harder and lower than the xb500 and has a lot more impact than the xb1000. 

post #6367 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ati832 View Post

the denon ahd400 werent that bad and yes they are way overpriced but I picked them up for £80 brand new and have sold them recently the bass on them was good it had a rumble to them but it was more of the soft bass type of headphone, unlike the xb series which all pound on your head the same goes for the LP2's and the WS99 both of them have a lot of impact. the lp2 having slightly more but the ws99 does not sacrifice mids and highs for the bass like lp2's do. honestly im looking for my next bass head can looking at the pro900 but not sure if it would saound similar to the headphones I already own. any help would be appreciated

Ok, so I checked your profile and in MY opinion the Pro900's would be a step up in basshead impact compared to your others. WS99 might be close but not in the same league thump wise. They seem to be able to handle more and more bass and do it cleanly, not muddy.
post #6368 of 11259

Well, this is mainly a reply to Oregonian. I'm listening to that Marantz vintage amp I was talking about a while back. It's a Marantz PM700 DC Amplifier. Compared to the receiver that I'm currently using, it's pretty close. I wanna say that it has better stereo performance, but since I'm listening to the headphones in a different environment, it may be a placebo effect. Although, I'm really thinking that it's the former. I guess I'll find out when I get home in a couple days.

 

The loudness button on it only makes the bass from around 50Hz to around 100Hz louder, not any sub-sub-bass frequencies like from 20Hz-40Hz, which makes the bass sound a bit bloated if the volume is turned up too much. Since the hardware eq only starts at 50Hz, I'm not able to go any lower without raising the volume knob to compensate for the lower frequencies (while making everything else louder, of course). 

 

I'm still playing around with it, trying to find that sweet spot (using my E17 as the preamp/dac along with it's bass/treble controls), but so far, I'm pretty impressed. I'm still not putting off getting a dedicated headphone amp, though. 

post #6369 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post

Well, this is mainly a reply to Oregonian. I'm listening to that Marantz vintage amp I was talking about a while back. It's a Marantz PM700 DC Amplifier. Compared to the receiver that I'm currently using, it's pretty close. I wanna say that it has better stereo performance, but since I'm listening to the headphones in a different environment, it may be a placebo effect. Although, I'm really thinking that it's the former. I guess I'll find out when I get home in a couple days.

The loudness button on it only makes the bass from around 50Hz to around 100Hz louder, not any sub-sub-bass frequencies like from 20Hz-40Hz, which makes the bass sound a bit bloated if the volume is turned up too much. Since the hardware eq only starts at 50Hz, I'm not able to go any lower without raising the volume knob to compensate for the lower frequencies (while making everything else louder, of course). 
I'm still playing around with it, trying to find that sweet spot (using my E17 as the preamp/dac along with it's bass/treble controls), but so far, I'm pretty impressed. I'm still not putting off getting a dedicated headphone amp, though. 

Not sure what you're trying to convey here but I think its just that you have a reference point to compare things to in the future. For the price I paid ($90 for one of my two Kenwoods) the quality of sound directly compared to the Magni I also have is, well, no comparison. Clearly heads and tails better, great bass response in particular vs the Magni. The only downside is they are ten times bigger. cool.gif

Anyway, glad you got to try a vintage. Are you keeping/taking it home?
post #6370 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post

on a side note, if money is no object, the ultrasone signature dj is pretty highly regarded on this forum, with several members saying that its the ultimate basshead can, and if i remember correctly, it does fine without amplification. one day ill have 1000$ to spend on headphones, one day...

Disliked the Ultrasone Sig's when I had them for a good 2 days which I would price them at $350 most rather than 900. Think I'll just stick with the XB1000 and maybe mod it or so or get a used D5k and put in my spare CD850 drivers in and dampen the crap out of it so no bleed into mids and treb but good amount of bass. My portable on the go player is a rockboxed Toshiba Gigabeat 60gb player which has one of the best sound quality out of a player ever made (me thinks).

post #6371 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


Not sure what you're trying to convey here but I think its just that you have a reference point to compare things to in the future. For the price I paid ($90 for one of my two Kenwoods) the quality of sound directly compared to the Magni I also have is, well, no comparison. Clearly heads and tails better, great bass response in particular vs the Magni. The only downside is they are ten times bigger. cool.gif

Anyway, glad you got to try a vintage. Are you keeping/taking it home?

 

Nah, I'm not taking it. Dad likes to keep his stuff. As far as the magni goes, that amp is pretty iffy. I'm sure you read the posts of my experiences with it. I just had to return it. That's not a bassy amp by any measures, at least in my experiences. 

 

Seeing as it's going to be a while before I get another pair of headphones (really satisfied with mine right now), I want to get an amp that will bring out more of its potential. 

post #6372 of 11259
Can someone tell me the top 3 basshead phones that have minimal leakage(closed) and are easy to drive(ampless)?

$1400 budget, though I'm not sure I'm an audiophile enough to hear the subtle differences between my T5p and DT990's
Edited by soundslikebliss - 5/18/13 at 10:12pm
post #6373 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Disliked the Ultrasone Sig's when I had them for a good 2 days which I would price them at $350 most rather than 900. Think I'll just stick with the XB1000 and maybe mod it or so or get a used D5k and put in my spare CD850 drivers in and dampen the crap out of it so no bleed into mids and treb but good amount of bass. My portable on the go player is a rockboxed Toshiba Gigabeat 60gb player which has one of the best sound quality out of a player ever made (me thinks).


i was talking about the signature DJ, but i havnt listened to either anyway. i was just throwing it out there... why not an m-100 again?

post #6374 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundslikebliss View Post

Can someone tell me the top 3 basshead phones that have minimal leakage(closed) and are easy to drive(ampless)?

$1400 budget, though I'm not sure I'm an audiophile enough to hear the subtle differences between my T5p and DT990's


In terms of overall SQ with your budget, I have two in mind. 

 

Ultrasone Signature DJ $1,000

V-Moda M-100                     $300

 

While they both perform well ampless, they would also benefit from a portable amp.  With your budget, I recommend the Vamp Verza as the perfect pairing with either of these.

post #6375 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


In terms of overall SQ with your budget, I have two in mind. 

Ultrasone Signature DJ $1,000
V-Moda M-100                     $300

While they both perform well ampless, they would also benefit from a portable amp.  With your budget, I recommend the Vamp Verza as the perfect pairing with either of these.

To add on, I do know the new denon line has made a bad rep for itself but giv the Denon D7100 a try. It has gobs of bass but its too dry for my tastes. The soundstage is pretty spacious for a closed can too. The comfort and constantly dropping price is a plus!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked