New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Basshead Club - Page 360

post #5386 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Should the UE6000 be added to the list of all time Bass Monsters? That's another one that was completely off my Radar. 

Naw, I wouldn't call them bass monsters. They are bassy, but I believe the vmoda LP (muddy) and Sony XB500(Sub and mid bass) + XB700 (sub bass, less mid bass) hold that record here.

post #5387 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Oh man... I love this thread. You guys "get me". biggrin.gif

 

I use my HE500s for "overall".They have great defined Bass especially if you EQ, but every once in a while I start missing my Pro 900s. They were my previous favorite. I loved the sound pressure they produced and that sheer wall of tight hammering Bass. You just can't get that kind of sound pressure from an open back Planer.

 

I was VERY impressed with the Q40, it has GOBS of delicious Bass and I *think* it may even hit the really DEEP Bass notes better than the Pro 900s (from memory). If I drop the 30 Hz slider a dB or two they sounded really similar although the Pro 900s had less of the "in your head" sound and better sound field. The mids and vocals on the 900s were "not the best" though and they weren't as good for other Genres. If I could find something kind of in the middle of those two I think I'd be very satisfied.

 

It sounds like the Vmoda might be a good contender.  I never really had those on my radar as I had the misimpression that they were not a "serious" Basshead headphone and were more of a fashion statement along the lines of the "Beats" and their ilk. I need to read up on them more, but if they have all the slam of the Pro 900s and a little better sonic clarity through the mids and highs than the Q40 I think I'd be very happy with them. 

 

Can you guys who know, help me come up with a top 10 list of the most DANGEROUS headphones that are currently available (no discos please).  Here's four to get started (not in any particular order)...  What else has crazy good Bass like these? 

 

1. Q40

2. Pro 900

3. M-100

4. Signature Pro DJ 

 

Add the Sony XB700 and XB500 to the list for sure.  With EQ and amping the 700's are head rattling.  I still prefer the Q-40's and I may even consider the Beyer DT770 for the list.  I'm listening to them right now and they thump pretty good.  

post #5388 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

 

Add the Sony XB700 and XB500 to the list for sure.  With EQ and amping the 700's are head rattling.  I still prefer the Q-40's and I may even consider the Beyer DT770 for the list.  I'm listening to them right now and they thump pretty good.  

Done. Are you sure about the DT770s? I had those and while they thump I'm not sure they can hang with the others on this list.... Maybe there aren't TEN? Maybe only top 7? They have to have TONS of GOOD Bass. 

 

Top Ten Currently Available Basshead 'phones (cont'd)

 

1. Q40

2. Pro 900

3. M-100

4. Signature Pro DJ 

5. Sony XB 700


Edited by bareyb - 3/15/13 at 3:03pm
post #5389 of 11203

For what they bring to the table in every aspect that makes a good headphone, imho NOTHING can touch the M-100 at their price range (and even higher) at this moment. Period.

 

Deal with it.gif

post #5390 of 11203
Nothing except the Yamaha pro 500's, I have both and don't feel the need to defend either, they're both great cans.
post #5391 of 11203

Is not about defending anything. I'm just being honest. You (may) have a headphone at that price range that sounds better than the M-100, but it will probably lack in some other areas. Too bulky, awkward/ugly looking, heavy, long non-removable cord, uncomfortable, non-portable, non-folding, etc, etc.

 

The M-100 does really well in all these areas and that's not an easy task. And to top it off it sounds very good.

 

Charts are useful tools (in some cases), but if you bring me 10 different charts that say the M-100 sounds bad because of this or that, all 10 charts are wrong.


Edited by jmsilva22 - 3/15/13 at 4:03pm
post #5392 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsilva22 View Post

Is not about defending anything. I'm just being honest. You (may) have a headphone at that price range that sounds better than the M-100, but it will probably lack in some other areas. Too bulky, awkward/ugly looking, heavy, long non-removable cord, uncomfortable, non-portable, non-folding, etc, etc.

 

The M-100 does really well in all these areas and that's not an easy task. And to top it off it sounds very good.

 

Charts are useful tools (in some cases), but if you bring me 10 different charts that say the M-100 sounds bad because of this or that, all 10 charts are wrong.

I was actually just looking for the BASS response on the Charts so I could compare it to the output of a known quantity such as the Pro 900s. It's just one aspect though. It says a lot about sheer amplitude of the Bass but of course nothing about the quality. 

post #5393 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

I was actually just looking for the BASS response on the Charts so I could compare it to the output of a known quantity such as the Pro 900s. It's just one aspect though. It says a lot about sheer amplitude of the Bass but of course nothing about the quality. 

The distortion curves can tell u a lot about quality.
post #5394 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docks View Post


The distortion curves can tell u a lot about quality.

Has anyone around here ever done an analysis of what Cans have the highest output and lowest distortion? That would be helpful. 

post #5395 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Done. Are you sure about the DT770s? I had those and while they thump I'm not sure they can hang with the others on this list.... Maybe there aren't TEN? Maybe only top 7? They have to have TONS of GOOD Bass. 

 

Top Ten Currently Available Basshead 'phones (cont'd)

 

1. Q40

2. Pro 900

3. M-100

4. Signature Pro DJ 

5. Sony XB 700


NuForce HP-800 are very interesting and offer the biggest bass of any on this list, possibly rivaling the XB700 with superior overall sound quality that I would place above the Q40, PRO 900 and XB700.  Also, they are only $150 and very comfortable but not portable and distort at the highest volumes (not the bass, the mids oddly enough).

post #5396 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


NuForce HP-800 are very interesting and offer the biggest bass of any on this list, possibly rivaling the XB700 with superior overall sound quality that I would place above the Q40, PRO 900 and XB700.  Also, they are only $150 and very comfortable but not portable and distort at the highest volumes (not the bass, the mids oddly enough).

Bigger than the Q40? Then it most definitely belongs on the list. Here's the updated list. We have a strong top five. :  smile.gif

 

Top 5 Currently Available Basshead 'phones:

 

1. M-Audio Q40

2. Ultrasone Pro 900/Signature Pro DJ 

3. Vmoda M-100

4. Sony XB 500/700

5. Nuforce HP800


Edited by bareyb - 3/15/13 at 5:40pm
post #5397 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

Bigger than the Q40? Then it most definitely belongs on the list. Here's the updated list. We have a strong top five:  smile.gif

 

Top Ten Currently Available Basshead 'phones:

 

1. M-Audio Q40

2. Ultrasone Pro 900/Signature Pro DJ 

3. Vmoda M-100

4. Sony XB 500/700

5. Nuforce HP800


Just a thought- perhaps the PRO 900 and Signature DJ should be separate numbered items as they sound VERY different from one another.  FYI, there is a Signature Pro which is in the Signature line, but not as bassy, so it is just "Signature DJ", not "Signature Pro DJ".  You are compiling a solid list.  IMO, if budget is not an issue for you, nothing can touch the Signature DJ regarding overall SQ as it should be for the price.  However, some on this list may offer more bass, just not better quality bass.


Edited by Craigster75 - 3/15/13 at 5:50pm
post #5398 of 11203

I'm going to have to second Craigster75 on this.

The pro 900 shouldn't by any means be compared to the sig DJ. The pro 900 has a higher distortion as well. XB500 wins the award for most bass, more than Q40, pro900 and M100.

Just to compare distortion here:

 

Pro 900 Measured (Note distortion)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasonePRO900.pdf

 

XB500 (Most bass quantity, but bass bleeds into mids a bit, sounding a bit boxy)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRXB500.pdf

 

M100 (More refined than XB500, low distortion)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf

 

Notice how the Pro900 has considerably higher distortion when compared to the M100 and XB500. 


Edited by Docks - 3/15/13 at 6:02pm
post #5399 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


Just a thought- perhaps the PRO 900 and Signature DJ should be separate numbered items as they sound VERY different from one another.  FYI, there is a Signature Pro which is in the Signature line, but not as bassy, so it is just "Signature DJ", not "Signature Pro DJ".  You are compiling a solid list.  IMO, if budget is not an issue for you, nothing can touch the Signature DJ regarding overall SQ as it should be for the price.  However, some on this list may offer more bass, just not better quality bass.

I think you are reading me loud and clear and it sounds like we have the same goals. There's a possibility I could end up with a set of those. I really liked the Bass on the Pro 900s, I didn't care for the mids and highs and that's why I sold 'em. Sounds like the Sig Pro DJ might be perfect. Do they really have the same amount of Bass? Is the Bass different in any way? If so, how? 

post #5400 of 11203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docks View Post

I'm going to have to second Craigster75 on this.

The pro 900 shouldn't by any means be compared to the sig DJ. The pro 900 has a higher distortion as well. XB500 wins the award for most bass, more than Q40, pro900 and M100.

Just to compare distortion here:

 

Pro 900 Measured (Note distortion)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasonePRO900.pdf

 

XB500 (Most bass quantity, but bass bleeds into mids a bit, sounding a bit boxy)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRXB500.pdf

 

M100 (More refined than XB500, low distortion)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaM100.pdf

 

Notice how the Pro900 has considerably higher distortion when compared to the M100 and XB500. 

Wow. I didn't realize the Pro 900s were so humpy. The Vmodas have a very impressive Bass curve. Certainly better deep Bass response (on paper) than any of the others. That is very helpful. I'm very quickly gaining respect for the Vmodas. For some reason I didn't take them very seriously before but I am now. 

 

Here's the list updated:

 

 

Top Currently Available Basshead 'phones:

 

1. M-Audio Q40

2. Ultrasone Pro 900

3. Vmoda M-100

4. Sony XB 700 

5. Nuforce HP800

6. Ultrasone Signature DJ 


Edited by bareyb - 3/16/13 at 1:47am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home