New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Basshead Club - Page 260  

post #3886 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteNOOB View Post

Hi Adamlr:

 

I tried all 3 house amps. There is a background hissing sound thats very loud. When I plug it into my laptop, iPhone, or iPod I don't here it. How are you hooking your house amp to the headphones??? I did it with an RCA (white, red, yellow cord) from the TV to my house amp then I plug my cans into the house amp. 

 

I only really listen to RnB/Hiphop/dubstep. I was comparing the DT770's to my Atrio MG7's. The Dt's really can't keep up. But to be fair I did just get the DT770's like 2 days ago and there's been only a few hours of burn in so the sound should get better. It's just that its the 250 OHMS ones and I have nothing to really drive them.. 

i wont speak of burn in, no need opening that up... lets just say i didnt need any..............

about not having anything to drive them with, these are pretty efficient cans, your phone will drive them fine, just not to their fullest potential.


anyway, i have 2 portable amps, fiio e11 and jds labs cmoy. when using these i plug them into the computer headphone jack with a regular audio cable. for the (ancient, really bad) speaker amp i use an rca cable, it has black and yellow on one end, and a 1/8 inch jack on the other end, which also goes into my computer headphone jack and none of the above give me any hiss whatsoever.

 

i was also disappointed with the bass at the beginning, but then i started to notice the sub bass, and the detail in the bass range and it dawned on me that im getting alot more bass than the monotone thump i got with my cheapy iems until then, i was getting more range. then i downloaded foobar 2k and an equalizer and found that i can easily bump up to 10db of bass, sub bass or both using the equalizer and the dt770s carry on without any effort, while assaulting my ears with tremendous bass. thats when i grew to love them. quantity is easy to attain, its quality your after. with time i learned its actually sub bass which does it for me, and really, no more than 4 db boost is needed for my preferences...

 

i dont mean to be presumptuous, but perhaps your like me? perhaps youv only been using cheapy iems until now, and you bought the dt 770s as your first "entrance level" headphones, and you read reviews about how bassy they are and were expecting to get kicked in the head with a massive mid bass thump, only to put on the headphones at long last and realize, these really arent that bassy? the 770s are bassyer than neutral (this is from what other people say, i havnt heard anything but the 770s), but they are not bass monsters. however, as iv mentioned before, they are very bass capable. try getting a different amp maybe? one that doesnt hiss. try downloading a parametric equalizer and play around with it and youll see that these headphones can become just as much a bass monster as you want them to.

i hope i was helpful

post #3887 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docks View Post

I listen to dubstep on the 770/80s and they pick up plenty of sub bass while offering a massive soundstage for a closed can. Do you really think the m100s can top them?

Well its all subjective. For me I like the m100's more after listening to them at the mall today. The bass sounds more powerful to me, but then again I'm pretty noob to this scene so its merely an option from a novice. What kind of amp are you using for your 770's? E11? 

 

Thanks

post #3888 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post

i wont speak of burn in, no need opening that up... lets just say i didnt need any..............

about not having anything to drive them with, these are pretty efficient cans, your phone will drive them fine, just not to their fullest potential.


anyway, i have 2 portable amps, fiio e11 and jds labs cmoy. when using these i plug them into the computer headphone jack with a regular audio cable. for the (ancient, really bad) speaker amp i use an rca cable, it has black and yellow on one end, and a 1/8 inch jack on the other end, which also goes into my computer headphone jack and none of the above give me any hiss whatsoever.

 

i was also disappointed with the bass at the beginning, but then i started to notice the sub bass, and the detail in the bass range and it dawned on me that im getting alot more bass than the monotone thump i got with my cheapy iems until then, i was getting more range. then i downloaded foobar 2k and an equalizer and found that i can easily bump up to 10db of bass, sub bass or both using the equalizer and the dt770s carry on without any effort, while assaulting my ears with tremendous bass. thats when i grew to love them. quantity is easy to attain, its quality your after. with time i learned its actually sub bass which does it for me, and really, no more than 4 db boost is needed for my preferences...

 

i dont mean to be presumptuous, but perhaps your like me? perhaps youv only been using cheapy iems until now, and you bought the dt 770s as your first "entrance level" headphones, and you read reviews about how bassy they are and were expecting to get kicked in the head with a massive mid bass thump, only to put on the headphones at long last and realize, these really arent that bassy? the 770s are bassyer than neutral (this is from what other people say, i havnt heard anything but the 770s), but they are not bass monsters. however, as iv mentioned before, they are very bass capable. try getting a different amp maybe? one that doesnt hiss. try downloading a parametric equalizer and play around with it and youll see that these headphones can become just as much a bass monster as you want them to.

i hope i was helpful

 

Really? I have the 250 Ohms ones though. When I plug it into my iPhone, at max volume, they sound like my Atrio's at 40% volume and at 45% of its bass. Are the Atrio MG7 considered cheap? Because they were more than the DT770's : P I was really comparing the range of bass between the 2, but I think its unfair comparison as I don't have a decent amp to drive the 770s. The 770s crack and distort since my Youtube volume + computer volume is maxed out = (

 

Thank you for your reply though, I think I'm gonna have to get an E11 like you. As for the burn-in, I don't know if my ears are playing a trick on me but I swear my Atrio's sound different after a few weeks. The bass was less prominent and it got brighter, less recessed : /

post #3889 of 11259
When I get my m-100 I'm gonna mod them to get more bass biggrin.gif
post #3890 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteNOOB View Post

 

Really? I have the 250 Ohms ones though. When I plug it into my iPhone, at max volume, they sound like my Atrio's at 40% volume and at 45% of its bass. Are the Atrio MG7 considered cheap? Because they were more than the DT770's : P I was really comparing the range of bass between the 2, but I think its unfair comparison as I don't have a decent amp to drive the 770s. The 770s crack and distort since my Youtube volume + computer volume is maxed out = (

 

Thank you for your reply though, I think I'm gonna have to get an E11 like you. As for the burn-in, I don't know if my ears are playing a trick on me but I swear my Atrio's sound different after a few weeks. The bass was less prominent and it got brighter, less recessed : /


oh i wasnt talking about the atrios... iv never heard OF them, let alone heard what they sound like... anyway, an e11 will drive them fine, it drives my 250 ohm dt 770s just fine. it also has a bass boost, but it also boosts a fair portion of mids aswell, so id still go with a software equalizer, its great having complete control over the sound your getting, and you can boost or cut whatever you like. to each his own though... im confident that with the e11 youll appreciate the 770s more.

 

trying it out now, because of your post, mine just sound "tinny" out of my laptop, bass range isnt as wide maybe? the volume is fine though... but then again, we have different computers so theres really not much to talk about.

post #3891 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post


oh i wasnt talking about the atrios... iv never heard OF them, let alone heard what they sound like... anyway, an e11 will drive them fine, it drives my 250 ohm dt 770s just fine. it also has a bass boost, but it also boosts a fair portion of mids aswell, so id still go with a software equalizer, its great having complete control over the sound your getting, and you can boost or cut whatever you like. to each his own though... im confident that with the e11 youll appreciate the 770s more.

 

trying it out now, because of your post, mine just sound "tinny" out of my laptop, bass range isnt as wide maybe? the volume is fine though... but then again, we have different computers so theres really not much to talk about.

my laptop is a bottom barrow Gateway that over heats when I play 1080p movies : P But that's weird, since I'm guessing you have a regular laptop with an onboard sound card? The difference shouldn't be that dramatic? Could it be that I bought a pair of fake DT770s?

post #3892 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteNOOB View Post

my laptop is a bottom barrow Gateway that over heats when I play 1080p movies : P But that's weird, since I'm guessing you have a regular laptop with an onboard sound card? The difference shouldn't be that dramatic? Could it be that I bought a pair of fake DT770s?


i wouldnt know about that... wherever it is, do they have a return policy? im using a lenovo laptop, z560 for whatever its worth... maybe you should wait and see what they sound like with an amp?

 

oh, how much did you pay for them? i dont think they should be lower than 170$, though i may be wrong on that one...

post #3893 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post


i wouldnt know about that... wherever it is, do they have a return policy? im using a lenovo laptop, z560 for whatever its worth... maybe you should wait and see what they sound like with an amp?

 

oh, how much did you pay for them? i dont think they should be lower than 170$, though i may be wrong on that one...

 

 

I got them for $160 on Ebay. But the guy's a power seller : /

post #3894 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docks View Post

How do the m100 beat out the 770/80? Do they dig as deep? What about distortion and soundstaging? I've been looking at getting the m100s but have read mixed reviews and realize they are new so they may be getting a lot of hype.

 

Hey man, some quick impressions of a few songs with both the M100 and DT770...I hope it helps

 

 

Firstly I would just like to point out that the M100´s bass is much quicker and tighter, it has more mid bass quantity than the Beyers, and more forward mids with smoother highs. There is no distortion even at crazy high volumes!

 

 

Numb - H320 ft newbeginning212

Mids are much more forward on M100, Bass quantity is larger on the M100, MUCH less sibilance with the M100...so ton more pleasant to listen too (most sibilant song I have) Bass detail great on both, can easily hear vocals with both sets although the M100´s are much more forward and intimite as though she is singing into your ears

The DT770 is brighter...highs are piercing at times, sibilance is worse on my Galaxy S3, when on my Titanium HD the highs are a bit smoother but still unpleasant at times

The biggest difference in this song is the more forward mids and smoother highs of the M100 which makes for a much more fun listening experience with the bigger bass also adding to this! 

 

Limit To Your Love - James Blake

Lower Mids are more forward compared to Numb with the Beyers...but still much more forward on the M100´s, it sounds more like they are singing directly to you

Sub bass is almost on par with the beyers just a tiny bit less, however the quality of the bass is much better with the M100´s, its much faster and you can here the pulses of sub bass in the song much better with the M100 whereas with the Beyers its more one long vibration as its slower than the M100 in comparrison, each note is more defined with the M100 due to the increase in detail

There is also more bass impact with the M100´s

Overall the song sounds much better on the M100

 

vSQUARED - Lets Grow Old Together

This song is mainly to test the soundstage and positioning

The positioning on both is great, the walking form left to right is seamless and cant complain on either set

The bass is more punchy on the M100, and is tighter...the highs are much more pleasant to listen to than the Beyers

The Beyers sound more airy and bright than the M100 which sounds darker in comparrison, however something seems missing with the Beyers and that IMO is the lack of midbass, the song seems too empty listening with the Beyers.

Both are great with this song however I would prefer the M100´s due to them having more mid bass authority and "fill out" the song better, although the Beyers give a totally different take on the song with a lighter airy feel which some people may prefer.

 

Blackmill - Miracle

The M100 again has more Bass quantity than the Beyers in midbass and sub bass

Details  are easily picked up on both sets however the lack of punch in the Beyers makes them sound more empty in comparison

I much prefer the song on the M100

 

Breezeblocks - ALT-J

The mids are warmer on the M100, I prefer the song with the M100 as the Beyers sound too bright in comparrison but I listend to the song first with the Beyers and thought it sounded great and that it would actually beat the M100

Its surprisingly easier to focus on the mids with the DT770, mainly due to less bass quantity even though they are more laid back/recessed, sub bass is great on the Beyers and the lack of midbass means that it doesnt detract from the mids where with the M100 the mids sound as though they are competing with the bass at times although IMO I dont beleive the bass bleeds into the mids at all but the bass line seems lounder than the mids so you are more compelled to focus on the lows of the song, it still sounds great to my ears but can tell it may not be what some people want in a can!

 

Xilent - Choose Me (Dubstep Mix)

The Beyers again sound more airy than the M100 which gives the feeling that they are more open sounding than the M100 which sound more closed in...highs are much more pronounced on the Beyers, to the point where I had to listen at a lower volume compared with the M100, the songs bass line was less prominant with the Beyers and so it made me focus more on the highs of the song and gave a very different but also a very enjoyable listening experience compared to the M100

 

I played my favourite Hip Hop mix with both (Mele Lucky Me mixtape starting at 1:40 as I dont like the first song) and it was clear that the increase in mid bass and the more forward mids with the M100 made it more enjoyable as well as the added detail, I found myself bobbing my head more to the bass line with the M100, although it was VERY enjoyable with the Beyer too and could easily listen to the mix with the Beyers and not be sitting there wishing I had the M100 on!

 

The M100 are a lot easier to listen to than the Beyers which can become a little harsh and piercing at times, however its all relative as before I got the M100 I found the Beyers really easy to listen too and the highs didnt bother me at all really, just with a handful of songs like Numb - H320 as it can become really sibilant at times. So if you havent actually experienced expensive/high class headphones then I believe you would be more than happy with the Beyers, I was for nearly 2 years...but now hearing the M100 I can see the flaws of the Beyers with it mainly being the recessed mids and I not enough mid bass for my liking (Im a basshead if you havent guessed) I find it hard to measure soundstage but the airy feel the beyers seem to give me makes me want to say they have better soundstage although I was listening to Burial in bed and the sound stage is HUGE with the M100! I literally jumped and pulled off my headphones as i thought the sound was coming from the windows lol, I have done this with the Beyers before and this is testament to how mig the soundstage is on both...you wont be disappointed with either set if you listen to Dubstep and Hiphop as the recessed mids of the beyers doesnt really detract THAT much from the overall listening experience as the main focus of the song is the bass line and lyrics are always perfectly audible and of a great tone!

 

Both cans are great but I really do prefer the M100, plus they are portable so you dont need to fork out on expensive IEM´s they look and feel great too so the price difference is justified IMO

 

The comfort levels on the DT770 is much better than the M100 though, and if yu have big ears it may prove troublesome although I wouldnt know as I have tiny ears thank God! :D

 

Good luck mate! 


Edited by danny93 - 12/23/12 at 3:44pm
post #3895 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny93 View Post

 

Hey man, some quick impressions of a few songs with both the M100 and DT770...I hope it helps

 

 

Firstly I would just like to point out that the M100´s bass is much quicker and tighter, it has more mid bass quantity than the Beyers, and more forward mids with smoother highs. There is no distortion even at crazy high volumes!

 

 

Numb - H320 ft newbeginning212

Mids are much more forward on M100, Bass quantity is larger on the M100, MUCH less sibilance with the M100...so ton more pleasant to listen too (most sibilant song I have) Bass detail great on both, can easily hear vocals with both sets although the M100´s are much more forward and intimite as though she is singing into your ears

The DT770 is brighter...highs are piercing at times, sibilance is worse on my Galaxy S3, when on my Titanium HD the highs are a bit smoother but still unpleasant at times

The biggest difference in this song is the more forward mids and smoother highs of the M100 which makes for a much more fun listening experience with the bigger bass also adding to this! 

 

Limit To Your Love - James Blake

Lower Mids are more forward compared to Numb with the Beyers...but still much more forward on the M100´s, it sounds more like they are singing directly to you

Sub bass is almost on par with the beyers just a tiny bit less, however the quality of the bass is much better with the M100´s, its much faster and you can here the pulses of sub bass in the song much better with the M100 whereas with the Beyers its more one long vibration as its slower than the M100 in comparrison, each note is more defined with the M100 due to the increase in detail

There is also more bass impact with the M100´s

Overall the song sounds much better on the M100

 

vSQUARED - Lets Grow Old Together

This song is mainly to test the soundstage and positioning

The positioning on both is great, the walking form left to right is seamless and cant complain on either set

The bass is more punchy on the M100, and is tighter...the highs are much more pleasant to listen to than the Beyers

The Beyers sound more airy and bright than the M100 which sounds darker in comparrison, however something seems missing with the Beyers and that IMO is the lack of midbass, the song seems too empty listening with the Beyers.

Both are great with this song however I would prefer the M100´s due to them having more mid bass authority and "fill out" the song better, although the Beyers give a totally different take on the song with a lighter airy feel which some people may prefer.

 

Blackmill - Miracle

The M100 again has more Bass quantity than the Beyers in midbass and sub bass

Details  are easily picked up on both sets however the lack of punch in the Beyers makes them sound more empty in comparison

I much prefer the song on the M100

 

Breezeblocks - ALT-J

The mids are warmer on the M100, I prefer the song with the M100 as the Beyers sound too bright in comparrison but I listend to the song first with the Beyers and thought it sounded great and that it would actually beat the M100

Its surprisingly easier to focus on the mids with the DT770, mainly due to less bass quantity even though they are more laid back/recessed, sub bass is great on the Beyers and the lack of midbass means that it doesnt detract from the mids where with the M100 the mids sound as though they are competing with the bass at times although IMO I dont beleive the bass bleeds into the mids at all but the bass line seems lounder than the mids so you are more compelled to focus on the lows of the song, it still sounds great to my ears but can tell it may not be what some people want in a can!

 

Xilent - Choose Me (Dubstep Mix)

The Beyers again sound more airy than the M100 which gives the feeling that they are more open sounding than the M100 which sound more closed in...highs are much more pronounced on the Beyers, to the point where I had to listen at a lower volume compared with the M100, the songs bass line was less prominant with the Beyers and so it made me focus more on the highs of the song and gave a very different but also a very enjoyable listening experience compared to the M100

 

I played my favourite Hip Hop mix with both (Mele Lucky Me mixtape starting at 1:40 as I dont like the first song) and it was clear that the increase in mid bass and the more forward mids with the M100 made it more enjoyable as well as the added detail, I found myself bobbing my head more to the bass line with the M100, although it was VERY enjoyable with the Beyer too and could easily listen to the mix with the Beyers and not be sitting there wishing I had the M100 on!

 

The M100 are a lot easier to listen to than the Beyers which can become a little harsh and piercing at times, however its all relative as before I got the M100 I found the Beyers really easy to listen too and the highs didnt bother me at all really, just with a handful of songs like Numb - H320 as it can become really sibilant at times. So if you havent actually experienced expensive/high class headphones then I believe you would be more than happy with the Beyers, I was for nearly 2 years...but now hearing the M100 I can see the flaws of the Beyers with it mainly being the recessed mids and I not enough mid bass for my liking (Im a basshead if you havent guessed) I find it hard to measure soundstage but the airy feel the beyers seem to give me makes me want to say they have better soundstage although I was listening to Burial in bed and the sound stage is HUGE with the M100! I literally jumped and pulled off my headphones as i thought the sound was coming from the windows lol, I have done this with the Beyers before and this is testament to how mig the soundstage is on both...you wont be disappointed with either set if you listen to Dubstep and Hiphop as the recessed mids of the beyers doesnt really detract THAT much from the overall listening experience as the main focus of the song is the bass line and lyrics are always perfectly audible and of a great tone!

 

Both cans are great but I really do prefer the M100, plus they are portable so you dont need to fork out on expensive IEM´s they look and feel great too so the price difference is justified IMO

 

The comfort levels on the DT770 is much better than the M100 though, and if yu have big ears it may prove troublesome although I wouldnt know as I have tiny ears thank God! :D

 

Good luck mate! 

Thanks for this!

post #3896 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docks View Post

Thanks for this!

but it is kind of comparing apples to organes as the m100 are 2x more though : /

post #3897 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


I am not 100% sure, but I believe it is swbf2cheater.

 

Thanks. I wonder why he was banned in the first place.

 

Anyway, do you think the Headfonia reviewers were overly negative of the M-100 due in part to the massive hype surrounding them on HF? I just feel like the review is more suited for a low range basshead can than the M-100.

 

For example, look at Ed's own words -

Sound wise I find the M-100 a very difficult one to recommend. The hype for this headphone has been ridiculous - if you live on head-fi.org anyway - and perhaps that effected my ultimate opinion, but I have sat on this review for a while now and my thoughts are not shifting.

post #3898 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteNOOB View Post

but it is kind of comparing apples to organes as the m100 are 2x more though : /

No not at all...

 

Some people (like myself) may be searching for an upgrade to the DT770 and havent found one yet, and IMO the M100 is a very worth while upgrade and worth the price difference IMO! 

post #3899 of 11259
The cost is not double in the US though...
post #3900 of 11259
The cost is not double in the US though...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked