I prefer the XB500 over the XB700 hands down. They have much more bass impact, mids are alot more forward (although not as detailed) and even highs are a bit better.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") Last post on Yesterday at 10:23 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 4/6/14 at 7:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Ultrasone Pro 900 Vs Sony XB 1000 Or Suggestions For Subsonic bass-head cans? Last post on 9/17/13 at 10:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones: Best Overall Headphones ~$150. True or False? Last post on 8/18/13 at 6:44am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/31/15
These were my first pair of cans that I consider my baptism of audiophile stuff. I used them with Fiio E10 as dac and Schiit Asgard as amp. Yes, they sounded good, but not as good as my...
The joys of reviewing a favorite product have eluded yours truly, until the T20 from RHA (Reid & Heath Acoustics) came along, supplied for review by my good friends at Headphone Zone...
A few years back, my family and I underwent a rather large home renovation (including not having a kitchen for 10 weeks; suffice it to say I was sick of take-out food after the summer of 2014). As...
INTRO I purchased these headphones on a whim out of curiosity as the design looked really cool and also I wanted to see what Audioquest might be thinking with their first foray in to headphones...
The Soundmagic E80 was purchased by me from Penon Audio. I’m not in any way affiliated with Penon Audio or Soundmagic. The price was $69 when I bought them and this is where I ordered them...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
The Basshead Club - Page 209
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yep, I agree, the bass quantity on the PRO700MK2s aren't as great as the XB series. However, it is a very punchy can that can withstand a high amount of amping before distorting. In that sense, it is a very good basshead can for EQ-ing / bass-boosting. At stock levels, I would say it delivers about +9-10 db of bass boost.
Are you asking about the TMA-1/HFI 780 as opposed to the PRO700MK2s? If so, I would say the TMA-1 are a bit bass heavier, and just as dark sounding in its tonality. The Ultrasone cans on the other hand, are really bright, with quite a lot of clarity but less bass quantity.
Oh. I was just wondering how bassy the 780s are. I was getting recommend on other threads the TMA are really good but oh well.
Apparently, you haven't put on some better earpads. With the stock pads on, the SPL (quantity of bass) are horrible and they have very little bass quantity, and lower frequencies tend to need more pressure in order to really feel it. This is the main reason why the XB series have good amounts of bass quantity. The earpads create a great seal around the head, and there is enough space between the driver and the ear to attain an adequate SPL. Other earpads like the M50/DT250 improve it to an extent, but there isn't enough distance between the earpads and the driver to truly bring out the bass potential of these headphones. The Gel pads I have on right now with tissue underneath create basically an air tight seal, and there is room for the drivers to breathe. This probably sound kind of redundant because I say it so much, but these headphones really need better pads on them in order to truly bring out their potential.
Once I have some more money, I'll pick up a pair of XB700s and see how they compare to my headhones. I have to get a pair anyways because I want those pads, and it would be cheaper to buy the headphones.
No I haven't tried any other headphones and these pads do suck. The first thing I noticed is how my ears rubbed against the drivers. I'll play your game Mr. Bond and order some of these gel pads...
Have you or anyone tried the new 600 and 800 yet?
I take that back from earlier. The more I burn in these cans the more bass I can get. I have noticed if you EQ these well or correctly they can really sound much clearer. I guess I just want so much bass my brain liquefies in my skull for a few hours a day. I guess I want to feel the bass a bit more is all. I listen to my buddies beats and they have more of that SPL bass I crave so maybe some 500s might do the trick. So how do them Ultrasone 780s sound, your profile says you have both the 780s, M50s and 700MK2.
On a side note I just noticed that if I wear a hoodie in between my cans and my ears to give a little bit more space I can feel the bass and really enjoy it a lot more. Ear pads here I come.
Edit: Well hell... They're on back order until November 25th. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580539-REG/Beyerdynamic_900799_Gel_Style_Ear_Cushions_for.html I guess I'll look elsewhere.
I found these but not sure if they will work the same. http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT-Replacement-Pads-Pair/dp/B0016MMYKA
Edited by NinjaSushi2 - 10/21/12 at 6:16pm
Well if you're talking to me nvm you edited it, the Pros are better than both the m50 and 780. The 780s have worse earpads than the stock pro700mk2s, have less bass than the m50s, and have very metallic, unnatural highs, imo. It doesn't even sound right with EDM. I've tried watching movies and anime with them, and the upper frequencies sound nasal to me. I guess their s-logic stuff doesn't work for me. The m50s are basically a more natural, fuller sounding 780 with much more bass quantity. I would give a more accurate bass comparison between the two, but there is so little of it in my 780s that it isn't worth it. The pros are a warmer, thicker sounding m50 with a lot more bass (with the right pads). The slightly subdued highs allows me to listen longer with these headphones than the m50s, and the earpads are so comfortable that I forget that they're on after I've had them on for a while. I've had these things on for 8 hours straight with no pain.
You can direct order the gel earpads from the beyer website here
Edited by Trae - 10/21/12 at 6:34pm
It depends if you are grading on a curve. The M-80 is bassier than a few of the headphones on the basshead list, but is not what I would consider a top-tier basshead can. Amping can only do so much since drivers have limitations.
Well if you're talking to me, the Pros are better than both the m50 and 780. The 780s have worse earpads than the stock pro700mk2s, have less bass than the m50s, and have very metallic, unnatural highs, imo. It doesn't even sound right with EDM. I've tried watching movies and anime with them, and the upper frequencies sound nasal to me. I guess their s-logic stuff doesn't work for me. The m50s are basically a more natural, fuller sounding 780 with much more bass quantity. I would give a more accurate bass comparison between the two, but there is so little of it in my 780s that it isn't worth it.
You can direct order the gel earpads from the beyer website here
Most excellent good sir, I shall order these promptly. I will hold off on selling my cans because I really am starting to think these phone are a dynamic, burn in demanding set of cans. So far the more I burn these in the better they sound immensely.
P.S. Know any discount codes?
Edit: Holy hell brother. It's going to cost 52 bucks for some ear pads. 15 shipping and 37 for the pads...
Edited by NinjaSushi2 - 10/21/12 at 6:36pm
Sorry, wish I knew. 15 bucks is a lot just for some pads, but they're your only choice if you want to get them now. BH usually has free shipping on stuff like that, and if they don't the shipping is pretty cheap (less than $15). Since I own them (well, I own the discontinued clear ones), I'll say that for the sonic improvements they offer, they're worth the price tag. I can't complain, though, because I got mine for $22 off of GN3RAL KARL
Bass IEMs I really like my wife's Velodyne vPulse. It comes with a mic and inline sound control but they don't work on my phone. As far as bass they are super sexy and cancel out noise very well. The problem with them is their ear bud pads are crap imo so I'd look into getting better ear cushion/pad thingies.
But yeah they're only $100 and super bassy imo.
I just broke my IEM's and I'm looking to get another pair of in-ear headphones. I have a budget of around $100. I saw that Paralelle's list of IME's is quite extensive so I was wondering if you guys could please give me a suggestion or 2 on which pair to get? I usually only listen to hip-hop and RnB so I loveeeeeeee bass.
Thank you in advance guys!
Hey guys, check this out. This thing had me looking around my room thinking there were other people in here. The first two are a must listen.
Reminds me of the Ultrasone demo CD. I do believe it is also recorded in binaural.
Hi fellow bassheads, it looks like Reloop are pretty good for producing basshead cans. I've just got my hands on a Reloop RHP-10, and boy, and they bassy as hell. A/Bing with my XB500 and HA-M5X proves that it's somewhere in their league, although the XB500 tops it with bass extension and slightly greater quantity.
I've got to spend more time with them, but as it stands, these cans will give extreme bassheads what they crave in sheer quantity.
I think the Hisound Audio Wooduo 2 IEMs should be added to the list of Basshead IEMs...
Good god, I thought the EPH-100s had a lot of bass slam... NOPE
The Wooduos extend deeper than any of my subwoofers...
While they're not very good with vocals, they're extremely good in the bass department.
- The Basshead Club
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S 12 seconds ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 43 seconds ago
- › NHT SuperBuds vs KLIPSCH R6i 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Review of soundmagic es10 , es18 , creative ep600 , cowon ce1 , jbl... 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 5 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones by Meirelles
- › RHA T20 by ShreyasMax
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 by MacedonianHero
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Mediahound
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by peter123
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3