New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Basshead Club - Page 702  

post #10516 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

... I meant not enough for a bass head, and the sound quality degrades at that point, so why get a 250 ohm dt770 with only an e11? Kind of a waste imo. Not the best sound possible. That's really doing them a disservice.

Edit: deleted this post. Not going to bother arguing with you.
Edited by White Lotus - 4/1/14 at 12:42am
post #10517 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyNutz View Post
 


Do you ever get eardrum pain or do you have any hearing loss ? You are right into the extreme bone shaking end of the spectrum.....

Just wonder....while I was tuning my Fostex T50RP I could not listen to cans for a few days as one tuning made the mids laser-like...(never mind the bass) and my eardrums were wasted.

My friends eardrums actually bled at one Massive Attack concert...

I suffered some hearing damage in Car audio. The sz's will leave my ears ringing for a while...everything kinda sounds like mmmmmmmmzzzzzzzzz for a while:D 

post #10518 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

I suffered some hearing damage in Car audio. The sz's will leave my ears ringing for a while...everything kinda sounds like mmmmmmmmzzzzzzzzz for a while:D 


S.C.A.R.Y.

post #10519 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post

I suffered some hearing damage in Car audio. The sz's will leave my ears ringing for a while...everything kinda sounds like mmmmmmmmzzzzzzzzz for a while:D  
After taking my cans off everything around me sounds,ringing, high pitched, quiet, and echoey. Really weird feeling. Don't get a "mmmmmmmmzzzzzzzz" though. Not sure I'd want to
Edited by NewWaveAudio - 4/1/14 at 5:01am
post #10520 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


umm... Don't get the 250 ohm version. E11 won't drive that dt770 250 ohm worth crap. The e11 is only good until 150 ohms. After that, its all downhill. The reason I have one is because I don't think I'll be getting any really hard to drive cans for a few years... Because of my parents. E11 will have to do for now... Get the 80 ohm dt770. That's the only one you'll be able to drive with the e11... Unless you feel like buying a 120$ e12 or something...

 

what in the hell are you talking about? the 250 ohm version can be driven by a phone... 96 dB sensitivity is very high, just looking at the impedance number doesnt tell you anything. and whats this about the e11? the paperwork that comes with it will state that its good for up to 300 ohm, and with sensitive cans like the dt 770 the e11 will drive them to ear splitting volume, with the bass boost on and everything.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


... I meant not enough for a bass head, and the sound quality degrades at that point, so why get a 250 ohm dt770 with only an e11? Kind of a waste imo. Not the best sound possible. That's really doing them a disservice.

 

please define what you mean when you say the sound quality degrades, id love to hear it. what disservice are you talking about?

 

all ive written here is part of my personal experience, have you EVER heard a pair of dt 770s? have you ever tried them with an e11? where do you get all this stuff??

post #10521 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post

Edit: deleted this post. Not going to bother arguing with you.
lol. I already read that. I receive emails, so I get the comments before edits. Plus here Is the ACTUAL SPECS ON THE E11. RECOMMENDED IMPEDANCE 16-150 OHMS. The e12 is the one that's good through 300. http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000038781911&MenuID=105026001
post #10522 of 11259

The DT770 250 ohm is absolutely fine with the Fiio E11.

 

I own them both.


Edited by White Lotus - 4/1/14 at 6:26am
post #10523 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post

The DT770 250 ohm is absolutely fine with the Fiio E11.

I own them both.
+1

DischordDubstep:

Please stop making assumption about things you are not sure about. I have the E11 and I approve of it being able to drive 250ohm headphones. It's plenty loud for me, and I'm sure it is for everyone else (unless you're deaf)
post #10524 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


lol. I already read that. I receive emails, so I get the comments before edits. Plus here Is the ACTUAL SPECS ON THE E11. RECOMMENDED IMPEDANCE 16-150 OHMS. The e12 is the one that's good through 300. http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000038781911&MenuID=105026001


they recommend you drive cans of that impedance. they dont state that you cant do anything else. hell, malveaux once told me he uses his e11 to drive his 600 ohm dt 770s when on the go. you make me wish i had kept the e11 paperwork so that i could just take a picture for you.

 

let me elaborate about how wrong you are:

impedance is an electrical measurement that tells you how much an electrical appliance will resist the electric current (from wikipedia:"Electrical impedance is the measure of the opposition that a circuit presents to a current when a voltage is applied"). it is one of MANY things that effect how "easy" or "hard" a headphone will be to "drive". 

 

sensitivity on the other hand, is a measurement thats mostly used in the sound industry. it measures output spl for a given frequency at a given voltage or current (usually 1kHz @ 1mW). meaning, it takes all considerations into account, including impedance and everything else, and just tells you how loud said headphone will get under (what should be) standard test conditions. 96 dB fot the dt 770s, 103 for the m-100s etc.

 

seeing as i understand all this, i can more or less tell what to expect of a headphone before i even get it (if correct specs are given). i dont need to abide by recommended specs, because i know what will or wont work - i understand the thought behind the numbers. all that aside, i can tell from experience, since i actually tried it myself and can vouch for this specific combo.

 

i recommend you stop thinking of headphones and amps as a set of do and dont rules. this is electricity were talking about, if for producing sound and if not. you cant look at numbers that mean nothing to you and deduct correct conclusions.

 

your turn to explain =]

post #10525 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post


they recommend you drive cans of that impedance. they dont state that you cant do anything else. hell, malveaux once told me he uses his e11 to drive his 600 ohm dt 770s when on the go. you make me wish i had kept the e11 paperwork so that i could just take a picture for you.

let me elaborate about how wrong you are:
impedance is an electrical measurement that tells you how much an electrical appliance will resist the electric current (from wikipedia:"Electrical impedance is the measure of the opposition that a circuit presents to a current when a voltage is applied"). it is one of MANY things that effect how "easy" or "hard" a headphone will be to "drive". 

sensitivity on the other hand, is a measurement thats mostly used in the sound industry. it measures output spl for a given frequency at a given voltage or current (usually 1kHz @ 1mW). meaning, it takes all considerations into account, including impedance and everything else, and just tells you how loud said headphone will get under (what should be) standard test conditions. 96 dB fot the dt 770s, 103 for the m-100s etc.

seeing as i understand all this, i can more or less tell what to expect of a headphone before i even get it (if correct specs are given). i dont need to abide by recommended specs, because i know what will or wont work - i understand the thought behind the numbers. all that aside, i can tell from experience, since i actually tried it myself and can vouch for this specific combo.

i recommend you stop thinking of headphones and amps as a set of do and dont rules. this is electricity were talking about, if for producing sound and if not. you cant look at numbers that mean nothing to you and deduct correct conclusions.

your turn to explain =]
touché. On another note, I found this explanation of fast sounding and slow sounding bass interesting. It also states that all of the detail in bass is from the midrange, rather than bass. I can vouch for this statement, as I was messing around with eq and turned mids and treble all the way Down, and bass all the way up. http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb061999.htm
post #10526 of 11259
Hi, folks. I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place; feel free to move or delete it if necessary. This is actually a repost from the Recommendations forum, where it exists under the subject "Basshead wants help, where somebody advised me to check with you guys.

Although I have a HUGE appreciation for the work ljokerl has done is his Multi-IEM review and for his skills as a critical listener, I think he and I have different ears and different priorities. 'Phones that he describes as balanced, or even as mildly bass-heavy, often come across to me as thin, even anemic-sounding. My idea of "balanced" includes a lot more bass than his, perhaps because of my musical tastes -- which begin with live music, though I don't listen to "live" stuff much over 'phones-- and less treble. I'm very sensitive to sibilance, and bright 'phones fatigue me quickly.

My first good IEMs were UE Super-fi 5 Pros. They were revelatory at the time, but they were lost in travel, and the cheaper DDMs I bought next made them seem over-analytical and buzzy.

The best IEMs I've ever had were Radius DDMs. Their bass, was of course amazing, but I loved their intimate presentation -- the way they could make me feel like a male vocalist was standing at my shoulder, singing to me -- and their relaxed-but-not-veiled top end. I found them to be incredibly musical.

ljokerl's review opus led me to JVC HA-FX90s as a replacement when my DDMs broke two years ago, and they weren't a bad call. On first listen, I hated them for their sizzling highs (which smoothed with burn-in) and incredibly disappointing bass. Many people describe them as having punchy, fairly deep bass, but that was just not the way I heard them, even with Monster foam supertips. Mid-bass punch was almost acceptable, but there was little there at deeper frequencies. I thought I had a bad driver until I applied an EQ curve that boosted frequencies up to 125 Hz by about four dB, curving down to level at 500 Hz and cut frequencies above 16 kHhz by about 1 dB. They're good with equalization, but I want better. I also wish I could compare them to the DDMs again to determine whether I'm just being nostalgic. By the way, these things have always sounded more like BA 'phones than dynamics to me.

In the meantime, I've tried a number of other options:
- Brookstone Clear Dual-Drives that I bought for my ex-girlfriend, as possible poor-man's Radius DDM2s. Not bad, but not nearly as good as the original DDMs. The lows and mids were nice, but the top end seemed veiled and lacking detail to me.
- Shure 535s. Very, very good, but for that kind of money, I'd want customs. Anyway, they were maybe a touch boring.
-B&W C5s. Good, but somewhat disappointing, given the name. I use B&W speakers at home, and I love their signature. The C5s, though, seemed no more than quite competent.
-Monster Turbine Pros Coppers. These were the DDMs' main competitors when I was shopping. I was surprised to find that I preferred the equalized JVC HA-FX90s for their clarity and treble detail, although they gave a good bit up to the MTPCs in bass. I also tried the Golds, but didn't find them as good as the Coppers.
-Klipsch Image X10s. Actually tried them a long time ago, and liked them a ton, but I don't think they matched the DDMs for me.
-A few Beats 'phones. Meh.
-UE900s. Good, but not for the price. I wanted more bass, still.
-Phiaton PS20 NCs. I impulse-ordered a set of these a couple of weeks ago for about $18 on Amazon. They're a good deal even at the current $40 price point. These remind me of the DDMs, or perhaps the Brookstone Clears. The bass is enough (mid-bass, at least, if not sub-bass), the mids are fairly buttery, and the presentation is very good for the money, but they do sound somewhat veiled to me (ljokerl, by the way, asserts that they are not veiled). These are currently getting more play than the JVCs, despite their flaws, because the NC feature is rather good on planes, and the lesser isolation is nice while listening for airport announcements.

I listen to a lot of Radiohead, Pinback, Zeppelin, Floyd, Sparklehorse, Hendrix, Silversun Pickups, Galactic; basically, rock, alt rock, classic rock, and funk, though there are many exceptions. I listen to a mix of FLAC and fairly high-bitrate mps, mostly 192 kbps and up. IEMs are never going to give me bass that I feel in my chest, but I want to get as close as I can while maintaining quickness and also still being able to appreciate the detail of artists like Radiohead. There's little doubt in my mind that I prefer dynamics over BA designs, at least at the price points I've sampled. My ears are large, and fit is unlikely to be an issue.

I'm interested in the Dunu DN-1000s. Their just-under-$200 price point is tempting, and is probably about the most I'd be willing to spend without strongly considering customs. What else should I be considering? And if I were to go with customs in the $400-650 range instead, what would you guys recommend, given my stated preferences?
post #10527 of 11259

Nobody is gonna delete your post....it's about bass ( I saw the word bass enough to satisfy my powerless self:D) I got no history with IEM but some folks do and they will surely be throwing good ideas at you.

post #10528 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladan View Post

Hi, folks. I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place; feel free to move or delete it if necessary. This is actually a repost from the Recommendations forum, where it exists under the subject "Basshead wants help, where somebody advised me to check with you guys.

Although I have a HUGE appreciation for the work ljokerl has done is his Multi-IEM review and for his skills as a critical listener, I think he and I have different ears and different priorities. 'Phones that he describes as balanced, or even as mildly bass-heavy, often come across to me as thin, even anemic-sounding. My idea of "balanced" includes a lot more bass than his, perhaps because of my musical tastes -- which begin with live music, though I don't listen to "live" stuff much over 'phones-- and less treble. I'm very sensitive to sibilance, and bright 'phones fatigue me quickly.

My first good IEMs were UE Super-fi 5 Pros. They were revelatory at the time, but they were lost in travel, and the cheaper DDMs I bought next made them seem over-analytical and buzzy.

The best IEMs I've ever had were Radius DDMs. Their bass, was of course amazing, but I loved their intimate presentation -- the way they could make me feel like a male vocalist was standing at my shoulder, singing to me -- and their relaxed-but-not-veiled top end. I found them to be incredibly musical.

ljokerl's review opus led me to JVC HA-FX90s as a replacement when my DDMs broke two years ago, and they weren't a bad call. On first listen, I hated them for their sizzling highs (which smoothed with burn-in) and incredibly disappointing bass. Many people describe them as having punchy, fairly deep bass, but that was just not the way I heard them, even with Monster foam supertips. Mid-bass punch was almost acceptable, but there was little there at deeper frequencies. I thought I had a bad driver until I applied an EQ curve that boosted frequencies up to 125 Hz by about four dB, curving down to level at 500 Hz and cut frequencies above 16 kHhz by about 1 dB. They're good with equalization, but I want better. I also wish I could compare them to the DDMs again to determine whether I'm just being nostalgic. By the way, these things have always sounded more like BA 'phones than dynamics to me.

In the meantime, I've tried a number of other options:
- Brookstone Clear Dual-Drives that I bought for my ex-girlfriend, as possible poor-man's Radius DDM2s. Not bad, but not nearly as good as the original DDMs. The lows and mids were nice, but the top end seemed veiled and lacking detail to me.
- Shure 535s. Very, very good, but for that kind of money, I'd want customs. Anyway, they were maybe a touch boring.
-B&W C5s. Good, but somewhat disappointing, given the name. I use B&W speakers at home, and I love their signature. The C5s, though, seemed no more than quite competent.
-Monster Turbine Pros Coppers. These were the DDMs' main competitors when I was shopping. I was surprised to find that I preferred the equalized JVC HA-FX90s for their clarity and treble detail, although they gave a good bit up to the MTPCs in bass. I also tried the Golds, but didn't find them as good as the Coppers.
-Klipsch Image X10s. Actually tried them a long time ago, and liked them a ton, but I don't think they matched the DDMs for me.
-A few Beats 'phones. Meh.
-UE900s. Good, but not for the price. I wanted more bass, still.
-Phiaton PS20 NCs. I impulse-ordered a set of these a couple of weeks ago for about $18 on Amazon. They're a good deal even at the current $40 price point. These remind me of the DDMs, or perhaps the Brookstone Clears. The bass is enough (mid-bass, at least, if not sub-bass), the mids are fairly buttery, and the presentation is very good for the money, but they do sound somewhat veiled to me (ljokerl, by the way, asserts that they are not veiled). These are currently getting more play than the JVCs, despite their flaws, because the NC feature is rather good on planes, and the lesser isolation is nice while listening for airport announcements.

I listen to a lot of Radiohead, Pinback, Zeppelin, Floyd, Sparklehorse, Hendrix, Silversun Pickups, Galactic; basically, rock, alt rock, classic rock, and funk, though there are many exceptions. I listen to a mix of FLAC and fairly high-bitrate mps, mostly 192 kbps and up. IEMs are never going to give me bass that I feel in my chest, but I want to get as close as I can while maintaining quickness and also still being able to appreciate the detail of artists like Radiohead. There's little doubt in my mind that I prefer dynamics over BA designs, at least at the price points I've sampled. My ears are large, and fit is unlikely to be an issue.

I'm interested in the Dunu DN-1000s. Their just-under-$200 price point is tempting, and is probably about the most I'd be willing to spend without strongly considering customs. What else should I be considering? And if I were to go with customs in the $400-650 range instead, what would you guys recommend, given my stated preferences?

 

I'm not much into IEMs but I can vouch for the "bassyness" of the Denon C300s. They might not be "balanced" in the sense that mids and highs are forward with supreme detail, but they do the job for most genres that I listen to which can vary from Rock, Drum n Bass to Salsa and Merengue and the bass is just... well, BIG!

 

Another entry recommended is the Yamaha EPH-100. You might search the boards for reviews and/or impressions and comparisons. Maybe some members have indeed compared them to IEMs you have already tried.

 

For a slightly bassy but a bit more balanced presentation, the Shure SE215 are usually a safe bet and can be found for $80 or less (similar pricing for the C300s as well.). None of these have hot highs as far as I'm aware. Those Yammies I only tried them for a few hours but I didn't really detect any sibilance (or bumped highs). The C300 and SE215 I currently own.

 

 

Good luck and welcome to the Basshead Club. :p

post #10529 of 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


touché. On another note, I found this explanation of fast sounding and slow sounding bass interesting. It also states that all of the detail in bass is from the midrange, rather than bass. I can vouch for this statement, as I was messing around with eq and turned mids and treble all the way Down, and bass all the way up. http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb061999.htm


a. im not sure if youre being cynical or not.

b. thats a very long article from a source im not familiar with, so im not going to bother... i do not know everything, and i doubt ill have the knowledge to verify or challenge whats said.

 

thank you for recognizing your mistake, not everyone would have done that. just please dont state things as fact, if youre not sure that they are. i promise you im not the only one who got aggravated at that.

 

if youre interested (feel free to ignore if not), heres some stuff i do know, that correlates to fast/slow bass, and its relationship to the midrange:

fast/slow are not "scientific" terms. they sometimes mean different things to different people. when talking about bass, these terms usually refer (atleast as far as i know) to the time it takes for resonance to die down (or "decay" if you will).

 

all frequencies are connected via all sorts of reactions and circumstance such as masking effect, distortions, you name it.. "detail in bass coming from the midrange" sounds a little strange. understand that pure, singular sine waves rarely appear in music. every note is made of many sine waves together. so, messing with an equalizer in effect, does not only boost or cut the certain frequency one selects, the effect ripples and changes everything, even if just a little. for example, if you boost bass by alot, you may loose out on some of the midrange. its all connected. furthermore, musicians will often add some midrange "detail" that coincides with the bassline, or have several different basslines happening at the same time to add to the texture and complexity of their music (or whatever other reason).

 

and by the way. although all equalizers SHOULD sound the same (or rather, they shouldnt sound like anything), truth of the matter is, they just dont. different calibrations, programming, distortions... if you and i did the same thing on different equalizers, the end result wouldnt necessarily be the same.

post #10530 of 11259

 

 

I'm a fanboy....I love my J.V.C

 

Then I read this:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-xs/reviews/10747

 

First perfect scored review I have ever seen:blink:

 

I'm not a fanboy.....I have a preferences ...apparently.

 

Honest question. Is this site run by, partly owned by, or run by a relative of the V-Moda people?

I like the M100 but they are like my SMS. Fun. The V-moda are very well made. My friends own them. I don't get the love. I am really really missing something here. 

Anyway...that review on the front page of this site is embarrassing. IMO

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked