- 51 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/29/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 9/29/11
- productSwan M50Wtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- What is the Best can among M50, HFI 580 and SRH 750 DJ for Rap and Hip Hop music production???? Last post on 7/25/11 at 11:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Anything better then the mth- M50s or equally as good for less money? Last post on 9/27/12 at 1:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed Headphones for Competitive Gaming Last post on 8/22/12 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me pick my next Headphones! Last post on 10/24/11 at 10:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones For Korean Pop Last post on 2/16/12 at 1:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 6/30/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Microsoft Lumia 435 Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/773374/microsoft-lumia-435-review-by-mark2410 Brief: An insanely cheap wonder device. Price: £30 payg or...
Sorry for my bad English and short impressions. Z7s highs are roll offed. Z7 sounds fatigue free for long listening session. Comfortability is also very good. Z7 sounds analog-ish. when you...
Introduction: CustomArt is a relatively new custom IEM company that has very quickly grew into one of the big names in business. Hailing from Poland, the company has a well-respected line of...
I made a video review of the dt770 80ohm quite sometime ago and was finally finished it. I got them on sale at Guitar Center for $179.99 , the deal was better than anywhere on the web so I...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Westone for providing me with review sample in exchange for my honest opinion....
Fostex T50RP vs m-50?post #1 of 309/28/11 at 3:56pmThread StarterI know this is probably not the best of comparisons but oh well. Which do you think is better?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 309/28/11 at 9:23pmQuote:
Out of the box? The M50. The M50 covers a lot more ground and does more genres justice out of the box. The T50RP is a very mid-centric headphone, with lightish bass (though good extension) and damp volume. The M50 on the other hand will give you a lot more omph in all departments (though less in mids overall). Switching between genres, the M50 will likely give you more sound in general from all of the spectrum than the T50RP. The T50RP is really good out of the box for only a few genres. Vocal and acoustic come to mind. Otherwise, they suffer when big bass is called for. If you do not plan on modding the T50RP, I would just get the HFI 580.... or M50 if you think you should really get the AudioTecchnica, but I'd get the HFI 580 instead or SRH840 instead, but again, if you had to choose those or the T50RP with no modifications, I'd not get the T50RP. If you plan on doing a thunderpants mod or other self-mods in general, get the T50RP without hesitation.
Very best,post #3 of 309/29/11 at 6:05amThread Starterpost #4 of 309/29/11 at 6:16ampost #5 of 309/29/11 at 7:00amThread Starterpost #6 of 309/29/11 at 7:08amQuote:
Thunderpants (modded T50RP's) were being compared to HE500, HD800, LCD2, etc. High ends.
Modded, the T50RP goes into a new world of sound. Modding is not cheap. You can do it yourself or have it done for you. There are cheaper mods that improve sound. If you're willing to tinker and possibly spend more on it later, get them.
If you're not willing to tinker, solder, or pay more, then do not get the T50RP and instead just get a Shure SRH840 or Ultrasone HFI 580 (not the M50...).
Very best,post #7 of 309/29/11 at 7:11amThread Starterpost #8 of 309/29/11 at 10:05am
...and let's not forget that T50RP modding is by no means limited to the expensive Thunderpands mod. There's a good-sized community of us that have had some wonderful success by just using different materials inside the stock housings and a little bit of pad rolling.post #9 of 309/29/11 at 10:33am
With just some plasticine in the baffles and acoustic foam lining the cups, the T50RP can be modded to sound pretty darn good. If you don't experiment much and just stick with one of the many "milestone" modding approaches (cf mrspeakers' rastapants mod), you can get away with around $25 (most of which goes toward the acoustic foam). Mind you if you want to experiment, well, the sky's the limit. Some folks are dropping well over $100 just to upgrade the earpads. But that's the lunatic fringe. :)
(Me? I'm in for maybe $30 -- plus the cost of the headphones -- and I'm happy with the investment.)post #10 of 309/29/11 at 12:25pmThread Starterpost #11 of 309/29/11 at 1:40pm
I've never heard the m-50s so I can't comment on them per se. But modded T50-RP can sound as good as, or better than, some of the more expensive headphones I've owned or auditioned.
The fun of the T50-RPs is that they are really tune-able to match personal tastes. Personally, I haven't quite found the perfect tuning that meets my ideal balance of bass and high end, but I'm close.post #12 of 309/29/11 at 1:42pmOwning both, I would have no hesitation in recommending modded T50RP's over the M-50's. Yet one thing to contemplate is your source and amping. When modded, the Fostex can be rather unforgiving to poorly mastered tracks. Crap in, crap out. The T50RP's also benefit from amping, when I have no issue driving The M50's straight from a Clip+.post #13 of 309/29/11 at 1:47pmThread StarterI will be running it from a HP DV-6 with beats audio so what goes out SHOULD be fine. I might have to buy a DAC though. But i am going to buy a amp. And i dont really listen to crap... Although i usually download my music.post #14 of 309/29/11 at 2:11pm
How is the headphone out on your dv6? I'm using hfi-580's which have the same impedance at the m50's, and I hear constant hissing from it even on mute. There are also annoying beeps at the beginning of songs. If yours is anything like that, I would highly recommend a amp/dac.
- Fostex T50RP vs m-50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › cables are placebo 15 seconds ago
- › Portable Amp/DAC 20 seconds ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 26 seconds ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 52 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A17 2 minutes ago
- › Need help testing DACs 2 minutes ago
- › iDAC2 launching with a bang! Competition with MEGA goodies. Gotta... 3 minutes ago
- › please help me decide buy an earphone 3 minutes ago
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by maikuirock
- › Superlux HD-668 B by ingenero
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by cloud_c
- › PreSonus HD7 Professional Monitoring Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)