- 51 Posts. Joined 8/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/29/11
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 9/29/11
- productSwan M50Wtagged by System, 3/7/13
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- What is the Best can among M50, HFI 580 and SRH 750 DJ for Rap and Hip Hop music production???? Last post on 7/25/11 at 11:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Anything better then the mth- M50s or equally as good for less money? Last post on 9/27/12 at 1:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed Headphones for Competitive Gaming Last post on 8/22/12 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me pick my next Headphones! Last post on 10/24/11 at 10:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones For Korean Pop Last post on 2/16/12 at 1:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These are easily my favorite headphones I own. My review will be assuming you have Shure 1540 pads, but I'll go over some other options as well. Lets get the big negative out of the way now....
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
Fostex T50RP vs m-50?post #1 of 309/28/11 at 3:56pmThread StarterI know this is probably not the best of comparisons but oh well. Which do you think is better?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 309/28/11 at 9:23pmQuote:
Out of the box? The M50. The M50 covers a lot more ground and does more genres justice out of the box. The T50RP is a very mid-centric headphone, with lightish bass (though good extension) and damp volume. The M50 on the other hand will give you a lot more omph in all departments (though less in mids overall). Switching between genres, the M50 will likely give you more sound in general from all of the spectrum than the T50RP. The T50RP is really good out of the box for only a few genres. Vocal and acoustic come to mind. Otherwise, they suffer when big bass is called for. If you do not plan on modding the T50RP, I would just get the HFI 580.... or M50 if you think you should really get the AudioTecchnica, but I'd get the HFI 580 instead or SRH840 instead, but again, if you had to choose those or the T50RP with no modifications, I'd not get the T50RP. If you plan on doing a thunderpants mod or other self-mods in general, get the T50RP without hesitation.
Very best,post #3 of 309/29/11 at 6:05amThread Starterpost #4 of 309/29/11 at 6:16ampost #5 of 309/29/11 at 7:00amThread Starterpost #6 of 309/29/11 at 7:08amQuote:
Thunderpants (modded T50RP's) were being compared to HE500, HD800, LCD2, etc. High ends.
Modded, the T50RP goes into a new world of sound. Modding is not cheap. You can do it yourself or have it done for you. There are cheaper mods that improve sound. If you're willing to tinker and possibly spend more on it later, get them.
If you're not willing to tinker, solder, or pay more, then do not get the T50RP and instead just get a Shure SRH840 or Ultrasone HFI 580 (not the M50...).
Very best,post #7 of 309/29/11 at 7:11amThread Starterpost #8 of 309/29/11 at 10:05am
...and let's not forget that T50RP modding is by no means limited to the expensive Thunderpands mod. There's a good-sized community of us that have had some wonderful success by just using different materials inside the stock housings and a little bit of pad rolling.post #9 of 309/29/11 at 10:33am
With just some plasticine in the baffles and acoustic foam lining the cups, the T50RP can be modded to sound pretty darn good. If you don't experiment much and just stick with one of the many "milestone" modding approaches (cf mrspeakers' rastapants mod), you can get away with around $25 (most of which goes toward the acoustic foam). Mind you if you want to experiment, well, the sky's the limit. Some folks are dropping well over $100 just to upgrade the earpads. But that's the lunatic fringe. :)
(Me? I'm in for maybe $30 -- plus the cost of the headphones -- and I'm happy with the investment.)post #10 of 309/29/11 at 12:25pmThread Starterpost #11 of 309/29/11 at 1:40pm
I've never heard the m-50s so I can't comment on them per se. But modded T50-RP can sound as good as, or better than, some of the more expensive headphones I've owned or auditioned.
The fun of the T50-RPs is that they are really tune-able to match personal tastes. Personally, I haven't quite found the perfect tuning that meets my ideal balance of bass and high end, but I'm close.post #12 of 309/29/11 at 1:42pmOwning both, I would have no hesitation in recommending modded T50RP's over the M-50's. Yet one thing to contemplate is your source and amping. When modded, the Fostex can be rather unforgiving to poorly mastered tracks. Crap in, crap out. The T50RP's also benefit from amping, when I have no issue driving The M50's straight from a Clip+.post #13 of 309/29/11 at 1:47pmThread StarterI will be running it from a HP DV-6 with beats audio so what goes out SHOULD be fine. I might have to buy a DAC though. But i am going to buy a amp. And i dont really listen to crap... Although i usually download my music.post #14 of 309/29/11 at 2:11pm
How is the headphone out on your dv6? I'm using hfi-580's which have the same impedance at the m50's, and I hear constant hissing from it even on mute. There are also annoying beeps at the beginning of songs. If yours is anything like that, I would highly recommend a amp/dac.
- Fostex T50RP vs m-50?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 1 minute ago
- › Unique Melody Martian: UM's New 2DD + 2BA Universal-only IEM 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › Valhalla 2 review coming soon! 3 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 6 minutes ago
- › New WESTONE W-SERIES 6 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...