Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread - Page 11

post #151 of 186

Directions for the TE8022 are here: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/TE8802/TE8802kitEN.htm 

 

Looks like you need to remove/add a few resistors and plug in the new board in place of the old one.

 

I asked Kingwa about a DIY remote upgrade and he mentioned something about having to change out the main board, so that's probably not worth attempting.

post #152 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2151 View Post

I asked Kingwa about a DIY remote upgrade and he mentioned something about having to change out the main board, so that's probably not worth attempting.
Ouch. Guess I'll have to keep reaching across the table for the foreseeable future.
post #153 of 186

Does anybody else have trouble starting this up in cold weather?

 

When I turn on the unit, nothing displays on the screen and the connected headphones produce a static sound.

This occurs for at least 10 minutes until the unit has warmed up at which time the numbers start flashing on the screen as per normal startup and it starts working normally.

 

I emailed AudioGD and they responded saying that the board doesn't function properly at under 5 degrees celcius. Has anybody else had this problem? It's a bit annoying having to wait 10+ minutes before I can use it and I'm concerned at what effect this will have on the long term reliability of this unit.

post #154 of 186

Guys,

 

Anyone tries to drive the 10SE with HD800 or HD700? How is the sound?

post #155 of 186

Hmm... read that the 10SE could drive the Hifiman HE-6, perhaps it could be able to do it on HD800?

post #156 of 186

the 10SE can easily power any normal headphone if that's what your asking.  if you check the nfb-10 thread I'm sure you'll see comments about the 800 though I don't remember any on the 700
 

post #157 of 186

Take this response with some salt, as I've not had the opportunity to demo a pair of HD800s, but if most impressions are correct - they're revealing and on the slightly bright side of neutral - then it seems like the NFB would make them a little sibilant.  I'm sure it could power them, but from the experience I do have with the NFB, it's already slightly on the bright side of neutral.  I've tried my NFB with a pair of bright headphones and it made them sibilant, so I don't know how well it would respond with the HD800.

post #158 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagothur View Post

Take this response with some salt, as I've not had the opportunity to demo a pair of HD800s, but if most impressions are correct - they're revealing and on the slightly bright side of neutral - then it seems like the NFB would make them a little sibilant.  I'm sure it could power them, but from the experience I do have with the NFB, it's already slightly on the bright side of neutral.  I've tried my NFB with a pair of bright headphones and it made them sibilant, so I don't know how well it would respond with the HD800.

 

I've never heard the HD800 hooked up to an NFB-10SE, but based on them separately, I would agree with this sentiment. It's definitely not an issue of power, but rather an issue of synergy.

post #159 of 186

I'll say it again, my "bright" DT770/600 sound great with my 10SE and I am very sensitive to sibilance and sharp treble. This my experience over the last year and not conjecture. This is a revealing amp without tube distortion to smooth over flaws- buy accordingly.


Edited by tim3320070 - 6/15/12 at 6:54pm
post #160 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2151 View Post

Directions for the TE8022 are here: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/TE8802/TE8802kitEN.htm

 

Looks like you need to remove/add a few resistors and plug in the new board in place of the old one.

 

Has anyone upgraded their NFB-10SE with the TE8802 upgrade kit?

 

In other news I see the NFB-10SE is no longer sold by Audio-gd.  It's been replaced by the NFB-10.32.

post #161 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

 

Has anyone upgraded their NFB-10SE with the TE8802 upgrade kit?

 

In other news I see the NFB-10SE is no longer sold by Audio-gd.  It's been replaced by the NFB-10.32.

And it still can't accept analog input.

post #162 of 186

It's the same component but with the usb card replaced by the usb32 card he now uses in all his DACs

post #163 of 186

Will this audio-gd be an upgrade from schiit bifrost+asgard for HE-500?

post #164 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by remilio View Post

Will this audio-gd be an upgrade from schiit bifrost+asgard for HE-500?

I've had some experience with the Lyr/Bifrost combo - which should be an upgrade from a Bifrost/Asgard combo - and I believe the NFB is an upgrade in terms of transparency, detail, neutrality, and texture.  The Lyr/Bifrost combo is a little smoother, though.
On an unrelated note, I got a pair of Q701s a couple weeks ago, and I'm pleased with the NFB/Q701 combo.  I was a little afraid of sibilance, but the sound is smooth and detailed.  The sound can be a little fatiguing, but that might also be because the apex(?) of the headband can cause some pain after a few hours use. 

post #165 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagothur View Post

I've had some experience with the Lyr/Bifrost combo - which should be an upgrade from a Bifrost/Asgard combo - and I believe the NFB is an upgrade in terms of transparency, detail, neutrality, and texture.  The Lyr/Bifrost combo is a little smoother, though.
On an unrelated note, I got a pair of Q701s a couple weeks ago, and I'm pleased with the NFB/Q701 combo.  I was a little afraid of sibilance, but the sound is smooth and detailed.  The sound can be a little fatiguing, but that might also be because the apex(?) of the headband can cause some pain after a few hours use. 

 

Those headbands..... 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread