Im between these two choices, and they're tearing me apart. Im reading so much into this comparison but i just get more confused. I like to listen to orchestral, metal, rock, one or two dubstep and some pop (yeah i can see that my taste is abit everywhere) I love punchyness without sacrificing quality. I just tried my friend's shure 440, and although the sound was great, i couldnt get a decent punch off of them, it definitly didnt fit my taste. I listen on a BB curve, or HTC HD2 for portable, and PC for normal. Yes im a noob, but i really want to make the better choice, can anyone add some pieces of wisdom in this dilema? :D
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productDenon AH-C360 Advanced In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productHTC HD2tagged by System, 9/26/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Good portable headphones??? Last post on 9/8/11 at 11:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony MDR-XB700 or V-MODA Crossfade LP Last post on 9/2/11 at 9:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Whats the difference between sr60i and 80i? Last post on 9/2/11 at 1:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for trance music around 100 bucks Last post on 3/18/12 at 2:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What are the bassiest analytical headphones in the market? Last post on 8/9/11 at 5:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This Headphone have Very Good and Smooth Mid / High, Good Bass response. Cold-side, Analytical, Overall Clarity made this Headphone Shine, Bass may lack on some track or Not enough for some...
I recently traded my ATM-50's since they unfortunately lost lower frequencies and started crackling in the left ear. So I thought "Why not try something different". I was looking for something to...
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Sony XB-700 with e5 amp vs XB-500 Unamped?post #1 of 109/26/11 at 12:54pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 109/26/11 at 1:01pmpost #3 of 109/26/11 at 1:16pm
First let me say that the XB headphones have such exaggerated bass that the entire mid and treble range become really washed out and unpleasant. All you are going to hear is thump thump and not an even reproduction of the nice music you enjoy so much. I do understand that you enjoy bass emphasized headphones. If you have to choose between the 500 and 700 the XB-500 is a better can. The bass extends much more flatly out to 400Hz whereas the XB-700's really drop out the midrange. The vocals on the XB-500 will sound much better, but the treble is roughly the same on both.
Here are my alternate recommendations.
Denon AH-C360 ( In-ear Headphone )
Bass emphasized with a wide treble peak so the highs are not completely washed out.
Audio Technica ATH-M50
An excellent headphone in its price range that is sealed. If the track has deep bass in it the drivers on these babies go very deep. Many people say it sounds like a subwoofer. The mids and highs will not be quite as washed out as the XB headphones.post #4 of 109/26/11 at 1:26pmQuote:
I never experienced that with my XB1000.post #5 of 109/26/11 at 1:43pmThread Starterpost #6 of 1012/23/11 at 9:26ampost #7 of 1012/23/11 at 9:38am
Personally the more and more I listen to my XB500's the less I like them. The Bass is OK, but its actually very muddy bass. The midrange and treble and poor as well. But for $50-60 bucks it is what it is. Still waiting to hear a pair of XB700's but for $90 bucks can you expect that much more? The 500's would be a really good deal if the clarity was better. The headphones sound like someone put a thick bathroom towel over the audio source/speakers.post #8 of 1012/23/11 at 11:12am
Right out of the box, the XB500 are a muddy, muffled, overbearing bass type of can. Out of the box, the XB700 has a lot of sub bass, and sparkly treble.
Ask anyone around here, it is better to EQ DOWN a headphone's issue (for the XB700, is toning down the lower and upper extremities). Not EQ up (for me, the XB500 needs to loss a lot of mid bass, raise up mids, and raise up treble by a LOT). IMHO, the XB700 has the better potential to be a very great can after EQ. Without EQ, to me it's not contest. The XB700 wins either way.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/23/11 at 11:18ampost #9 of 1012/23/11 at 11:30am
Well XB700 needs a boost in 250 Hz - 4kHz range (biggest boost around 500 - 1kHz range). as much as XB500 needs a boost in the 500Hz and above range unless you prefer V-shaped sound signatures so it's not that simple, ofc V-shape sounds clearer out of box but that doesn't necessarily make it more detailed, the XB500 has the lower midrange 250Hz - 1000 Hz more forward than XB700 but 2kHz+ range is a bit more recessed than on XB700.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/23/11 at 11:43ampost #10 of 1012/30/11 at 12:49pm
maybe you are right.i never tryet the 700s but the true is this.
IMO is a little bit muffled phones(the xb500) and the bass is there but is not huge,my Bose In ear 1 have better deep bass and i dont joke.
xb 500 vs Bose in ear 1
bass 9 vs 9,5
mids 7 vs 9
highs 7 vs 6
instrument separation 9 vs 8
eficiency 10vs 8
sound stage 8 vs 7
- Sony XB-700 with e5 amp vs XB-500 Unamped?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Rooth demos: the evaluation of Rooth lineup – liquid clarity 11 seconds ago
- › Question about tube amps 37 seconds ago
- › Minneapolis meet Jan 26, 2014 59 seconds ago
- › Do in-ear earphones cause damage to ears? 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Good Cheap Headphones That Sound Good And Can Be Worn Out In Public 1 minute ago
- › NEXT Astell & Kern AK200 (or what even is it's name) 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Stax SR Lambda Professional Electrostatic Headphones Earspeakers 2 minutes ago
- › New AKG flagship K812 first impression 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital