Im between these two choices, and they're tearing me apart. Im reading so much into this comparison but i just get more confused. I like to listen to orchestral, metal, rock, one or two dubstep and some pop (yeah i can see that my taste is abit everywhere) I love punchyness without sacrificing quality. I just tried my friend's shure 440, and although the sound was great, i couldnt get a decent punch off of them, it definitly didnt fit my taste. I listen on a BB curve, or HTC HD2 for portable, and PC for normal. Yes im a noob, but i really want to make the better choice, can anyone add some pieces of wisdom in this dilema? :D
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productDenon AH-C360 Advanced In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productHTC HD2tagged by System, 9/26/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Good portable headphones??? Last post on 9/8/11 at 11:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sony MDR-XB700 or V-MODA Crossfade LP Last post on 9/2/11 at 9:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Whats the difference between sr60i and 80i? Last post on 9/2/11 at 1:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for trance music around 100 bucks Last post on 3/18/12 at 2:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What are the bassiest analytical headphones in the market? Last post on 8/9/11 at 5:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I began to search for a shorter cable for my HD600 just because the stock cable is to long for using with a portable device. I didn't want to spend to much under $100. I did the standard Amazon and...
Exclusive sound, high quality patents "sandwich diaphragm" metal meets the technical.
I will leave the technical speak and unboxing play-by-play to the reviews that are already here, done by people who do a much better job than I can currently manage. Just know that the iDSD Micro...
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
Sony XB-700 with e5 amp vs XB-500 Unamped?post #1 of 109/26/11 at 12:54pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 109/26/11 at 1:01pmpost #3 of 109/26/11 at 1:16pm
First let me say that the XB headphones have such exaggerated bass that the entire mid and treble range become really washed out and unpleasant. All you are going to hear is thump thump and not an even reproduction of the nice music you enjoy so much. I do understand that you enjoy bass emphasized headphones. If you have to choose between the 500 and 700 the XB-500 is a better can. The bass extends much more flatly out to 400Hz whereas the XB-700's really drop out the midrange. The vocals on the XB-500 will sound much better, but the treble is roughly the same on both.
Here are my alternate recommendations.
Denon AH-C360 ( In-ear Headphone )
Bass emphasized with a wide treble peak so the highs are not completely washed out.
Audio Technica ATH-M50
An excellent headphone in its price range that is sealed. If the track has deep bass in it the drivers on these babies go very deep. Many people say it sounds like a subwoofer. The mids and highs will not be quite as washed out as the XB headphones.post #4 of 109/26/11 at 1:26pmQuote:
I never experienced that with my XB1000.post #5 of 109/26/11 at 1:43pmThread Starterpost #6 of 1012/23/11 at 9:26ampost #7 of 1012/23/11 at 9:38am
Personally the more and more I listen to my XB500's the less I like them. The Bass is OK, but its actually very muddy bass. The midrange and treble and poor as well. But for $50-60 bucks it is what it is. Still waiting to hear a pair of XB700's but for $90 bucks can you expect that much more? The 500's would be a really good deal if the clarity was better. The headphones sound like someone put a thick bathroom towel over the audio source/speakers.post #8 of 1012/23/11 at 11:12am
Right out of the box, the XB500 are a muddy, muffled, overbearing bass type of can. Out of the box, the XB700 has a lot of sub bass, and sparkly treble.
Ask anyone around here, it is better to EQ DOWN a headphone's issue (for the XB700, is toning down the lower and upper extremities). Not EQ up (for me, the XB500 needs to loss a lot of mid bass, raise up mids, and raise up treble by a LOT). IMHO, the XB700 has the better potential to be a very great can after EQ. Without EQ, to me it's not contest. The XB700 wins either way.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/23/11 at 11:18ampost #9 of 1012/23/11 at 11:30am
Well XB700 needs a boost in 250 Hz - 4kHz range (biggest boost around 500 - 1kHz range). as much as XB500 needs a boost in the 500Hz and above range unless you prefer V-shaped sound signatures so it's not that simple, ofc V-shape sounds clearer out of box but that doesn't necessarily make it more detailed, the XB500 has the lower midrange 250Hz - 1000 Hz more forward than XB700 but 2kHz+ range is a bit more recessed than on XB700.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 12/23/11 at 11:43ampost #10 of 1012/30/11 at 12:49pm
maybe you are right.i never tryet the 700s but the true is this.
IMO is a little bit muffled phones(the xb500) and the bass is there but is not huge,my Bose In ear 1 have better deep bass and i dont joke.
xb 500 vs Bose in ear 1
bass 9 vs 9,5
mids 7 vs 9
highs 7 vs 6
instrument separation 9 vs 8
eficiency 10vs 8
sound stage 8 vs 7
- Sony XB-700 with e5 amp vs XB-500 Unamped?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 20 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 23 seconds ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 1 minute ago
- › Review: RIVA Turbo X High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth... 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Vape-Fi 3 minutes ago
- › Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing... 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal 5 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 7 minutes ago
- › Tennmak Sennheiser HD600/650 Short Cable by bikerboy94
- › Original Xiaomi Piston III Youth Edition Earphone Earbuds Headset... by leoscarax
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2