Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000 vs Ultrasone Pro 900: A Review and Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2000 vs Ultrasone Pro 900: A Review and Comparison - Page 5

post #61 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbie View Post

Absolutely.  The bass goes just as deep, and can hit with great authority, it was just quieter compared to the Pro 900.  Now that I'm used to it, I never think its not enough, and if you've never heard the Pro 900, I can't imagine you thinking the Denons don't have enough bass.

 

Soundstage is huge, and they're tonality is awesome so all types of music sound spot on.  The bass sounds just like a subwoofer, and it can hit all of those low drops in Dubstep and Drum & Bass. 

 

Thank you very much. I'll probably get this HP then. Recommened dacs, amps?
 

 

post #62 of 98
Thread Starter 

Right now I'm running the D5000 out of an Audio GD NFB-12, which has two Wolfson 8741 dac chips in it, and a headphone out that puts about 3.5 watts into the Denons.  It sounds amazing; a very warm setup but with excellent detail retrieval and extension at both ends of the spectrum.  It's only 240 dollars after shipping.

 

The Matrix M Stage also pairs will with the Denons, though that is an amp only, and I've heard good things about the D2000/Nuforce HDP pairing, which is both an amp and a dac.

post #63 of 98

Thanks, I'll look into them. The E10 may be a very warm setup, although cheap for me.

post #64 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbie View Post

Right now I'm running the D5000 out of an Audio GD NFB-12, which has two Wolfson 8741 dac chips in it, and a headphone out that puts about 3.5 watts into the Denons.  It sounds amazing; a very warm setup but with excellent detail retrieval and extension at both ends of the spectrum.  It's only 240 dollars after shipping.

 

The Matrix M Stage also pairs will with the Denons, though that is an amp only, and I've heard good things about the D2000/Nuforce HDP pairing, which is both an amp and a dac.


I'm actually planning on going with the NuForce HDP with the D2000 cans....hopefully this will be a killer combo.

 

post #65 of 98
Thread Starter 

I've heard that the two pair very well.  Many users in the D7000 thread use it with their Denons, and report nothing but good impressions.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonschlagen View Post

I'm actually planning on going with the NuForce HDP with the D2000 cans....hopefully this will be a killer combo.

 



 

post #66 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJam View Post

Recommened dacs, amps?
 

 


I use the FiiO E7/E9 combo and it sounds great.
post #67 of 98

Just got my D2000s today. I can see how you changed up for a Denon. I concur these are fantastic.. The sound stage is what is very interesting to me on these. I can't believe these are closed phones. The sound stage is more semi open than closed. Some sound magic going on these. Lol! Playing through my collection on these make my other mid fi stuff sound boring..I am a believer !! I believe!images.jpg The clean smooth balance with the bold full bass make me a bigger believer. Halelujah!!

post #68 of 98
Thread Starter 

Glad to hear it, they are very fun and resolving headphones that do well with almost every genre.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Just got my D2000s today. I can see how you changed up for a Denon. I concur these are fantastic.. The sound stage is what is very interesting to me on these. I can't believe these are closed phones. The sound stage is more semi open than closed. Some sound magic going on these. Lol! Playing through my collection on these make my other mid fi stuff sound boring..I am a believer !! I believe!images.jpg The clean smooth balance with the bold full bass make me a bigger believer. Halelujah!!



 

post #69 of 98

So... instead of creating a new thread, I guess I'll post here! ;-)

 

Dsnuts recommended me on getting the Ultrasone HFI580s/DJ1s to "replace" my Pannies at work (i.e. they leak a lot) and I wanted the bass of the Pannies or more but in a closed design. Of course I started reading on the Pro900s too and I was planning to "bite" but... then came the Denons...

 

Having in mind that I listen to a lot of genres (usually my MP3 player is on shuffle) and that I currently use "bass-shy" Shure 940s (although they do excel on a lot whole other stuff..) should I go with:

 

D2000

D5000

Pro900

other

 

It seems that with the Denons I'd not only get the bass but also clarity and good performance on every genre (be it rock, salsa, jazz, and edm?!).

Which way should I go?

 

Should I stay with the 940s and change headphones with the Pannies when I want

to listen to EDM full-time like I do now? (amp at work is the JDSLabs Cmoy BB)

 

Or should I go with the Denons and maybe even... *gasps* sell both? :-p

 

 

Thanks.

 

 

P.S. Right now my earlobes are vibrating... aaahh nice... :-p

post #70 of 98

Heya,

 

If you can get a set of used D5000's, do it. They can easily serve as a main or portable and deliver everything you're after. Plus, wood back style. I went from PRO900 to D2000 to D5000 in that order. Anyone wanting serious bass, but wanting more than just bass (ie, the ability to listen to all music) in a closed back headphone, the Denons are the way to go. If open air was a possibility there are other headphones to consider, but for closed back, the Denons are it. I ultimately didn't like the PRO900's because they were not good for anything other than electronic music, the vocals sounded distant, mids were not there, treble was bright, and music just sounded warped and not right, and it was due to the massive mid-bass hump. I much prefer the sound of a more flat response headphone (Denons) that still produce monstrous 30hz presence at the same perceived volume as your mids. You get your bass, but, also the cake, so you can eat it too.

 

D5K_07.jpg

 

Very best,


Edited by MalVeauX - 11/10/11 at 1:26pm
post #71 of 98
Thread Starter 

I have the D5000 now, and while I am very happy with it, you should know that it (and its little brother) leak almost as much as an open can.  If you're buying a headphone to replace your Panasonic at work because it leaked too much, the Denon line would not fit the bill; they'd leak as much if not more.  Besides that issue, I can't recommend them enough.  The Pro 900 is still a great headphone with huge bass, so if that is your thing, you'd be very satisfied with it.  It isolates better than the Denon, but is still no champion in that regard either.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

So... instead of creating a new thread, I guess I'll post here! ;-)

 

Dsnuts recommended me on getting the Ultrasone HFI580s/DJ1s to "replace" my Pannies at work (i.e. they leak a lot) and I wanted the bass of the Pannies or more but in a closed design. Of course I started reading on the Pro900s too and I was planning to "bite" but... then came the Denons...

 

Having in mind that I listen to a lot of genres (usually my MP3 player is on shuffle) and that I currently use "bass-shy" Shure 940s (although they do excel on a lot whole other stuff..) should I go with:

 

D2000

D5000

Pro900

other

 

It seems that with the Denons I'd not only get the bass but also clarity and good performance on every genre (be it rock, salsa, jazz, and edm?!).

Which way should I go?

 

Should I stay with the 940s and change headphones with the Pannies when I want

to listen to EDM full-time like I do now? (amp at work is the JDSLabs Cmoy BB)

 

Or should I go with the Denons and maybe even... *gasps* sell both? :-p

 

 

Thanks.

 

 

P.S. Right now my earlobes are vibrating... aaahh nice... :-p



 

post #72 of 98

Thanks Mal and Jibbie!

 

I'll start my search then and spend the Paypal balance I have :-p

(been selling stuff I don't use over eBay == Triumph!!!)

 

The only cons I see as of now: no detachable cables, no extra pads included (lame for

the price! or maybe I'm spoiled by Shure and others...), the gold lettering on the wood looks suspect

(i.e. is it engraved? or just "drawn" into it and good handling is needed for it not to dissappear?). The pleather

doesn't bother me that much. I may be nitpicking, but for $450+ I expected at least detacheable cables! :-(

post #73 of 98
Thread Starter 

The lettering on the D5000 is painted on, not engraved, but it is underneath the finish of the wood, so it shouldn't wear off

post #74 of 98

I still think they should have included more stuff... but like I said, I'm spoiled by Shure...

Do you use any type of carrying bag or something?

(I don't plan to take it out to the streets or so, just to work...)

Do they fit any pouches?

 

BTW... $405 for a shipped, new D5000... I bit.... I guess I saved some from retail right?!?

 

:-p

post #75 of 98

Great deal!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000 vs Ultrasone Pro 900: A Review and Comparison