Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000 vs Ultrasone Pro 900: A Review and Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D2000 vs Ultrasone Pro 900: A Review and Comparison - Page 2

post #16 of 98

Well and I know how it goes. Sound preferences change too. I read much about the legendary Bass of the Pro900s..I suppose if one is a Bass head those would be ideal..But after a while it isn't just all about Bass anymore. haha..I am lucky to have a pretty big variety of cans in my stable of phones and even though I consider myself a bass head I like to listen to some light music to change it up once in a while.. Variety is a good thing.. Let us know about your new Denons. When you get them.  I am always interested on others takes on other Bassy phones myself.

post #17 of 98
Thread Starter 

Will do.  If there is one headphone in the Denon line that is bassier than the others, I'd assume it'd be the D5000 (not counting the D1100), from what I've read.  I'll definitely post back when I receive them.  The Pro 900 is definitely the go-to can if you're a huge basshead and listen to genres like Dubstep.  The D2000 does a respectable job in the bass department, but its a much more musical can.  I find that it satisfies my bass cravings while making other genres more enjoyable.  Before my Pro 900s sell, I plug them back in every once and a while, when a song sounds bass light on the Denons.  The song ends up being barely any heavier in the bass when played through the Pro 900s, so I realize that some songs just aren't as bass heavy as others, and that it is not the fault of the Denons.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Well and I know how it goes. Sound preferences change too. I read much about the legendary Bass of the Pro900s..I suppose if one is a Bass head those would be ideal..But after a while it isn't just all about Bass anymore. haha..I am lucky to have a pretty big variety of cans in my stable of phones and even though I consider myself a bass head I like to listen to some light music to change it up once in a while.. Variety is a good thing.. Let us know about your new Denons. When you get them.  I am always interested on others takes on other Bassy phones myself.



 

post #18 of 98
i find the j$pads add focus focus to the bass..and give better isolation n comfort.
if u dont wish to move up the denon scale..this is a great addon.
the d2000 is a keeper in my shack.
post #19 of 98
Thread Starter 

I've heard Denons with J$ pads before, and I don't like the change.  Bass tightens up considerably, and I need a certain amount of "boom" to enjoy music.  

post #20 of 98

Heya,

 

Nice review! I like that you maintained that it's not all about the bass, but sometimes, the kind of bass in relation to everything else. For me, as much as I loved the bass of the PRO900 it just made it too difficult to listen to a lot of kinds of music that didn't need that bass, and it particuarily was disturbing when trying to enjoy some music that had vocals in it, as the vocals just sounded really metalic and damp at the same time. Also, an acoustic session shouldn't sound like a bass drum heh. I ended up gravitating towards the Denon D2000 simply because I realized what kind of bass I was after, and that's basically sub bass. The PRO900 and D2000 can both hit nearly the same bass, but the difference is the volume in relation to each other. The PRO900 has a lot more mid-bass hump that is pronounced, so mid bass sounds louder than sub bass, which gives you the perception that it doesn't do sub bass as well. The D2000 on the other hand is flat, so you hear the same volume in sub bass as you do in mid and upper bass. I find that to be a better bass for me, even though I love big bass, I like being able to have sub bass drops that don't drown out the mids, a flat headphone can achieve that, and since it can nail 30hz with authority, yet you can still hear a feather drop, you realize what kind of sound it is. I consider that to be more of a high-end sound. The PRO900 is a super bass can, but once you've heard another headphone that can also do that much bass, yet still provide mids and a nice sound for all things, you realize what you're really after. For me, the HE-500 was actually the reason that I was able to let the PRO900 go. Then I got the D2000 and found the "middle ground" so to speak, between mid-tier and high-end that did the high-end sound and let you enjoy serious bass while still having a headphone that can cover all genres. Moving up the ladder, the D5000 is definitely the way to go in that sense, it's a bassier, warmer D2000, which is just yummy goodness.

 

One last plug, definitely try the Panasonic RP-HTF600's. It's unreal what those headphones do for the cost.

 

Very best,

post #21 of 98
Excellent review! Will you be posting your Denon D5000 impressions in this thread? Please update us here if you post your D5000 review.
post #22 of 98

Talk about the denons and metal a little bit more! I am also deeply obsessed with DnB, i have two channels dedicated to it, so it would be great to know how it sounds for that, but i am also a big fan of prog metal like Animals as Leaders and Periphery, and old school death metal like death and carcass...

 

I want something that has that bass thump of an actual kick drum and that "snap" of a timbrally correct snare, being a percussionist. 

 

I also want the guitar crunch to sound throaty and embodied and involving..

 

can you talk about these with your experiences of metal on them?

 

i have the ath-m50s so if you have a pair of those that would be a really good thing to compare them to

 

 


Edited by Vonx - 9/26/11 at 1:18am
post #23 of 98
Thread Starter 

I will definitely post D5000 impressions, if in a new thread, I'll post a link to it.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zowki View Post

Excellent review! Will you be posting your Denon D5000 impressions in this thread? Please update us here if you post your D5000 review.


The D2000 does metal and DnB wonderfully.  Even though it is not as quick as the Pro 900, I find that, most of the time, this adds to the realism of instruments rather than make the headphone sound slow.  Notes have a bit longer decay which sounds really haunting sometimes, I love it.  Drums sound incredible, although my standards might be less than yours because I am not, nor have I ever been, a musician.  Drums actually carry more weight and realism than the did with the Pro 900.  Guitars don't sound as heavy as the did with the Ultrasones, but I think the Pro 900s added an unrealistic amount of "throat" to guitars anyways.  I think the Denons make them sound more realistic, while still maintaining great attack.

 

My roommate has the M50s, and these are definitely on another level.  I'd say bass levels are similar, with the D2000s having ever so slightly more (maybe its because the extend further or have more impact).  The mids are better on the Denons, highs are similar.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonx View Post

Talk about the denons and metal a little bit more! I am also deeply obsessed with DnB, i have two channels dedicated to it, so it would be great to know how it sounds for that, but i am also a big fan of prog metal like Animals as Leaders and Periphery, and old school death metal like death and carcass...

 

I want something that has that bass thump of an actual kick drum and that "snap" of a timbrally correct snare, being a percussionist. 

 

I also want the guitar crunch to sound throaty and embodied and involving..

 

can you talk about these with your experiences of metal on them?

 

i have the ath-m50s so if you have a pair of those that would be a really good thing to compare them to

 

 



 

post #24 of 98

In my comparison of the M50 and D2000, I found the D2000 to have slightly less perceived bass quantity because of less bloat, but it extends a bit lower.  The key difference is that its bass has way more impact than the M50's.  The M50 had more forward mids, but I didn't find the M50 to have stronger mids, while the Denon 2000's mids and highs are considerably more refined and less tinny.

post #25 of 98
I love the sound signature of the Denon line, my D7K's are the Swiss Army knife of headphones.
post #26 of 98

It's posts like this that make me come back to head-fi and appreciate the community of users here.

 

Bravo, Jibbie.

 

Excellent write up. I enjoyed reading your analysis and it will definite help those who might consider either headphones.

post #27 of 98
Thread Starter 

Hey, thank you for the positive feedback, I appreciate it.  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jto168 View Post

It's posts like this that make me come back to head-fi and appreciate the community of users here.

 

Bravo, Jibbie.

 

Excellent write up. I enjoyed reading your analysis and it will definite help those who might consider either headphones.



 

post #28 of 98
Thread Starter 

As an unfortunate update, my D5000 still has not shipped.  I ordered it open box yet never used from Electronics Expo.  While I know there have been some horror stories, there have been many more positive reviews, even from head-fiers ordering D7000s and the like.  I'll call tomorrow if the order status still hasn't changed from "New Order" and see whats up.

 

I'll post impressions/possibly start a new thread.  Can't wait! 

 

Again, thanks for reading everyone, I appreciate it.

post #29 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jto168 View Post

It's posts like this that make me come back to head-fi and appreciate the community of users here.

 

Bravo, Jibbie.

 

Excellent write up. I enjoyed reading your analysis and it will definite help those who might consider either headphones.

Agreed.  Nice Review Jibbie smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

post #30 of 98
Thread Starter 

Thank you beerchug.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntodd View Post



Agreed.  Nice Review Jibbie smily_headphones1.gif

 

 



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D2000 vs Ultrasone Pro 900: A Review and Comparison