Please share with me your thoughts and input between the two before I buy one. I'm having a tough time choosing between them. I mostly care about soundstage and a base presence. I listen to rock, hiphop, electronic music, female vocals, and acoustic. I appreciate your help!
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading from M50's. Last post on 4/25/11 at 4:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-400/HE-300 vs Sennheiser HD650/HD600 Last post on 10/8/12 at 7:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M50: Questions Before I Buy Last post on 1/9/12 at 6:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M50 - A small problem in left-right balance. Please help? Last post on 1/10/12 at 3:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphones Last post on 1/9/12 at 11:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
Edited on 5/27/12
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
Related Head Gear
No other headphone has surprised me in the manner that the Tactic 3D managed to. I originally purchased them because I needed headphones to do a Skype interview, and I wanted something...
Let me begin by saying there is nothing special about these headphones. My first impression of them made me smile because I fell in love with the oral shaped ear cups (I'm a sucker for "small"...
Owned a variety of DAC's DAP/sources, Cowon J3, Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary, Dacport LX, HRT Music Streamer II+, Sony Walkman Z. The DX100 completely blows them all away with it's reference...
Before you read this, I think you should know that I'm not an audiophile and that English isn't my native language. Let me start this on a positive note. The design of Razer Tiamat...
Performance: Generally really well. Shouldn't lag at all with normal usage. Should be able to handle most modern apps. I managed to get around 8000 on Antutu Benchmark. Currently runs Android...
Skullcandy Aviators vs. ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 389/25/11 at 7:04pm
Well you're not going to get the combination of soundstage and bass presence out of those two. M50 reaches lower and is more thick sounding, but has a clustered and confined soundstage. The aviators-- of what little I've listened to at the apple store-- are very clear considering they're a skullcandy product, but dont' have as good of a sub-bass presence as the M50. They have a very nice mid-bass and lower mid-bass, however. They don't really punch your head off with every hit of a kick-drum, however.post #3 of 389/25/11 at 8:14pmThread Starterpost #4 of 389/25/11 at 9:03pm
Save yourself some money and get one of these instead. It is just my opinion but these blow the doors off the M50s in every way. The Aviators I haven't tried but I can safely say these are crazy for the price. There was a headfier that had the Beats Pro that ended up getting one of these and is happy that these sound better in every way.. $400 vs $30 headphone. Throw on some $20 velour pads and you got a serious contender.. Before you say you have no idea what you are talking about.. Read what Malveaux wrote on his take about how he prefers these over his HD650.. Try them out. The M50 is so over rated. They aren't worth the asking price if you ask me and yes I do own the M50..
http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-some-ultrasone-tech/270#post_7780299 read the beginning and the last few pages of Malveaux comparison. These will blow your mind.. Save the money for a good amp so you can have proper bass on these. A little E11 and your Mp3 with the Panasonics and you will thank me later.post #5 of 389/25/11 at 9:32pm
I own the M50 and have heard the Aviators - it really surprised me with a fullish signature that lends itself to pop
music especially (big surprise there!)
Sound stage is not a virtue of either headphone though, neither is layering and separation.
The big distinction is in the build quality ~ M50 is built like a nuclear bunker and the Aviators feel like
something that comes out of a really big fortune cookie.post #6 of 389/26/11 at 12:01amThread Starterpost #7 of 389/26/11 at 12:21amQuote:
In a weird twist of events, the Aviators have better clarity than the M50s. The M50's have more robust low end. The mids are also leaner and nicer on the Aviators. Its almost as if Etymotic designed the Aviators.
Build quality however is a one sided contest. The Aviators do not really instill confidence in being able to withstand much abuse. I can probably use the M50's to severely injure you if used as a weapon....post #8 of 389/26/11 at 2:43am
On topic: Haven't heard the Aviators but the M50 isn't very bassy. Grados do rock and acoustic well, but I wouldn't use it for electronic and dub. I have a feeling one of the Ultrasones will fit you well. I've tried the HFI-580. It will satisfy your bass needs but it probably doesn't hold up well on acoustic music. The Panasonics Dsnuts listed are also worth a try. They've got pretty good reviews so far.Quote:
You've got some serious issues, lmao.post #9 of 389/26/11 at 5:12amQuote:Originally Posted by greenrolaids
Can we seriously get somebody to create a block on SkullCandy and Beats, bull$hit threads?
Maybe if somebody enters Either skullcandy or Beats into a thread topic.. it automatically sends them to a search of 9999 other postings about skullcandy and beats crap threads.
I know its a pretty arrogant stance... but this web site is all about top tier headphones.. and mentioning ibuds and 2$ sony budz is a visual mnental raping every time i see it. and Not having a sticky about **** headphones ... makes me f#cking want to vomit.
So what headphones do you have?
Very best,post #10 of 389/26/11 at 6:43ampost #11 of 389/28/11 at 1:53amThread Starterpost #12 of 389/28/11 at 1:54amThread Starterpost #13 of 389/28/11 at 2:18ampost #14 of 389/28/11 at 1:49pm
I heard both of these headphones. I had to say that the Aviators had better bass impact than the M50s. Both are decent headphones and would be a good buy if you find some under $150.
- Skullcandy Aviators vs. ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Rank the IEM's you've heard 37 seconds ago
- › Melbourne Meet Saturday 29/6/13 46 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 2 minutes ago
- › Coffman Labs H1-A: Full Review 2 minutes ago
- › Apple-Fi (Mac's, iPhone's, All Thing Apple) 2 minutes ago
- › Album art game 3 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 3 minutes ago
- › more stuff for sale 4 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 286 IEMs compared (LG Quadbeat & TDK MT300 Added... 4 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma USB Gaming Headset by imagic
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by David Chavez
- › iBasso DX100 Reference DAP by Poetic
- › Razer Tiamat 7.1 by helmutssss
- › Sony Xperia S Black by TheBrutux168
- › Xonar U7 - 7.1 USB-Soundkarte by pietcux
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by Landon Watson
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by tintoy
- › JDS Labs ODAC by Rem0o
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STU by project86
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe