Please share with me your thoughts and input between the two before I buy one. I'm having a tough time choosing between them. I mostly care about soundstage and a base presence. I listen to rock, hiphop, electronic music, female vocals, and acoustic. I appreciate your help!
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productBeats Pro High-Performance Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSkullcandy Aviator Headphone Black, One Sizetagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSwan M50Wtagged by System, 3/7/13
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrading from M50's. Last post on 4/25/11 at 4:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-400/HE-300 vs Sennheiser HD650/HD600 Last post on 11/14/13 at 9:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M50: Questions Before I Buy Last post on 1/9/12 at 6:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M50 - A small problem in left-right balance. Please help? Last post on 10/15/16 at 6:58am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which headphones Last post on 1/9/12 at 11:25am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Preamble: It is finally happening – Brainwavz Audio is making in-ears with Balanced Armature drivers again. After they were introduced to the public few months ago, the two single-BA...
The Lyra, released back in 2014-15 was refreshed along with Campfire Audio's dynamic and hybrid lineup as the Lyra II, and is a personal single dynamic driver favourite. We would like to thank...
Skullcandy Aviators vs. ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 389/25/11 at 7:04pm
Well you're not going to get the combination of soundstage and bass presence out of those two. M50 reaches lower and is more thick sounding, but has a clustered and confined soundstage. The aviators-- of what little I've listened to at the apple store-- are very clear considering they're a skullcandy product, but dont' have as good of a sub-bass presence as the M50. They have a very nice mid-bass and lower mid-bass, however. They don't really punch your head off with every hit of a kick-drum, however.post #3 of 389/25/11 at 8:14pmThread Starterpost #4 of 389/25/11 at 9:03pm
Save yourself some money and get one of these instead. It is just my opinion but these blow the doors off the M50s in every way. The Aviators I haven't tried but I can safely say these are crazy for the price. There was a headfier that had the Beats Pro that ended up getting one of these and is happy that these sound better in every way.. $400 vs $30 headphone. Throw on some $20 velour pads and you got a serious contender.. Before you say you have no idea what you are talking about.. Read what Malveaux wrote on his take about how he prefers these over his HD650.. Try them out. The M50 is so over rated. They aren't worth the asking price if you ask me and yes I do own the M50..
http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-some-ultrasone-tech/270#post_7780299 read the beginning and the last few pages of Malveaux comparison. These will blow your mind.. Save the money for a good amp so you can have proper bass on these. A little E11 and your Mp3 with the Panasonics and you will thank me later.post #5 of 389/25/11 at 9:32pm
I own the M50 and have heard the Aviators - it really surprised me with a fullish signature that lends itself to pop
music especially (big surprise there!)
Sound stage is not a virtue of either headphone though, neither is layering and separation.
The big distinction is in the build quality ~ M50 is built like a nuclear bunker and the Aviators feel like
something that comes out of a really big fortune cookie.post #6 of 389/26/11 at 12:01amThread Starterpost #7 of 389/26/11 at 12:21amQuote:
In a weird twist of events, the Aviators have better clarity than the M50s. The M50's have more robust low end. The mids are also leaner and nicer on the Aviators. Its almost as if Etymotic designed the Aviators.
Build quality however is a one sided contest. The Aviators do not really instill confidence in being able to withstand much abuse. I can probably use the M50's to severely injure you if used as a weapon....post #8 of 389/26/11 at 2:43am
On topic: Haven't heard the Aviators but the M50 isn't very bassy. Grados do rock and acoustic well, but I wouldn't use it for electronic and dub. I have a feeling one of the Ultrasones will fit you well. I've tried the HFI-580. It will satisfy your bass needs but it probably doesn't hold up well on acoustic music. The Panasonics Dsnuts listed are also worth a try. They've got pretty good reviews so far.Quote:
You've got some serious issues, lmao.post #9 of 389/26/11 at 5:12amQuote:Originally Posted by greenrolaids
Can we seriously get somebody to create a block on SkullCandy and Beats, bull$hit threads?
Maybe if somebody enters Either skullcandy or Beats into a thread topic.. it automatically sends them to a search of 9999 other postings about skullcandy and beats crap threads.
I know its a pretty arrogant stance... but this web site is all about top tier headphones.. and mentioning ibuds and 2$ sony budz is a visual mnental raping every time i see it. and Not having a sticky about **** headphones ... makes me f#cking want to vomit.
So what headphones do you have?
Very best,post #10 of 389/26/11 at 6:43ampost #11 of 389/28/11 at 1:53amThread Starterpost #12 of 389/28/11 at 1:54amThread Starterpost #13 of 389/28/11 at 2:18ampost #14 of 389/28/11 at 1:49pm
I heard both of these headphones. I had to say that the Aviators had better bass impact than the M50s. Both are decent headphones and would be a good buy if you find some under $150.
- Skullcandy Aviators vs. ATH M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 4 seconds ago
- › <2000euro with forward mid and upper mid and bass? 21 seconds ago
- › Open headphones under 400€ 1 minute ago
- › MQA: Revolutionary British streaming technology 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by FortisFlyer75
- › Audio-Opus Opus#2 by twister6
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear