Washing the bowl-pads or a slight headband mod do wonders in terms of comfort.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking to Purchase a pair of headphones as a birthday gift! Last post on 10/2/11 at 10:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado Diminishing Returns Last post on 9/14/11 at 6:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado RS-1i versus RS-2i Last post on 8/16/11 at 5:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I seem to have had a shift in sound taste. Advice for bright headphones please? Thanks. Last post on 6/29/11 at 1:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Re-cable RS2i or buy new RS1i Last post on 6/8/11 at 11:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Videos only at the moment. I'll do a write-up later. Apologies if you were hoping for something to read. Unboxing and design details: More details about the cables, sound and possible...
Grado RS-1i. Holy cow these sound amazing! - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 449/28/11 at 2:31ampost #33 of 449/28/11 at 6:27ampost #34 of 449/28/11 at 5:28pmThread StarterQuote:
You are most welcome! I listened a lot to the 325i and 325is and really enjoyed them as well. The "is" version is really pretty in the silver finish.post #35 of 449/28/11 at 11:59pm
I do this weird thing where I wear them after I'm damp from the shower, 2-3 sessions of that and I stop crying about caved in earlobes haha. Seriously those new pads + new headband are no joke
post #36 of 449/29/11 at 7:57amThread StarterQuote:
I think this is where maybe a good Dawn soaking might help.post #37 of 4411/26/11 at 8:18pm
I have a set of rs1i phones and i do agree that they are not the most comfortable to wear phones.But as far as the sound quality I must say that the rs1i phones are very musical even compared to the audeze they are pretty musical sounding.They also seem to sound pretty dimensional with my ray samuels raptor otl amp.They are also not as demanding to drive as some of the other phones.I guess my real only complaint is the headphones somewhat uncomfortable feel when you are wearing them especially with the stock ear cushions(bowl type).I have replaced the earcushions with replacement comfort pads purchased at radio shack at ray samuels suggestion.The grados are now somewhat more comfortable to wear for longer listening periods.I also find the phones sound to be smoother and less bright sounding with the comfort replacement pads.
Edited by buson160man - 5/4/12 at 11:51pmpost #38 of 4411/27/11 at 9:43am
Quote:Originally Posted by buson160man
...I have replaced the earcushions with replacement comfort pads purchased at radio shack at ray samuels suggestion.The grados are now somewhat more comfartable to wear for longer listening periods.I also find the phones sound to be smoother and less bright sounding with the comfort replacement pads.
Mind posting a link to these replacement pads you mentioned ?
post #39 of 4411/27/11 at 10:28am
The larger ones, of course. You'll need to cut a hole out of the center though. The foam will impact audio quality big time.
You should also consider checking out the yellow sennheiser 414 pads, pretty easily found on eBay. Cut a hole in those too. They're silly looking, but will last way longer than the RadioShack ones. Comfiest foam too.
Now, I must say... The rs1i doesn't sound as good with a flatter pad. You will get an increase of bass but lose spatial positioning. Early rs1 in transitional phases sounded better with a flatter pad, but the significant driver changes to the rs1i really improve these inequities and I'd say try to just tough out the bowls. At this point I actually think the rs1i is superior to previous rs1 "classic" buttoned and unbuttoned models. It's a different flavor than the vintage series (see my linked guide for info). I'd still rank the vintage higher, but the gap has closed a bit in personal preference.
I swear, my ears are so calloused that they feel great to me. So, just use grado phones for a few years and your ears won't have any feeling anymore... I uh, guess that's the lesson.
There is the guide, looks like the link in my sig was broken.
Edited by Mercuttio - 11/27/11 at 10:39ampost #40 of 442/1/12 at 11:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by Greeni
Mind posting a link to these replacement pads you mentioned ?
I purchased the replacement pads at a radio shack.I took my rs1i phones to the store and the salesperson opened the package and put on the the replacement pads on the phones.They fit well and I purchased them.Go to ray samuels website and contact him and ask him about the comfort pads he purchased at radio shack to replace the stock bowl pads on the rs1i phones.post #41 of 444/15/12 at 1:16pm
If someone is looking for an amplifier that works with the grado rs1i phones might I suggest the ray samuels raptor.I have found this combination to be very satisfying.The sound of this pairing is pretty dimensional with good tight bass (especially for a tube amp) with good dynamics. I have to say that you have to provide your own power cord because they did not provide one when I purchased my amp a couple of years ago.May I suggest the emotiva power cord ftrom the emotiva website. I just purchased one very recently and have hooked the cord up to the raptor.The sound of the raptor with the rs1i is just amazing imho. The sound for one has taken on a more neurtral tendency with much better low level details.The bass from this pairing is excellent with good power and definition.Dynamics have also improved.Everything just sounds more natural with plenty of speed, especially for a tube amp.I was using a nine hundred dollar power cord (the kubals sosna emotion) with the raptor before and I had thought it was a good match.But simply, I thought I would try one of these fairly inexpensive power cords and I was not prepared for the dramatic change that the emotiva cord produced with the raptor amplifier.I was in utter disbelief that this eighty dollar power cord could sound so much better than my emotion power cord. But that is hi-end audio I am sure that at the time the kubala cord produced very satisfying performance when I bought them two and a half years ago.But things change and new products emerge sometimes at a astoundingly affordable price.I implore anyone that is considering the raptor they have to purchase a emotiva power cord to get the best out of the amp.I imho believe this is a no brainer considering the eighty dollar pricing for a two meter power cord.
p.s. you have to order the emotiva power cord from their website.
Edited by buson160man - 4/15/12 at 1:20pmpost #42 of 441/2/13 at 10:38pmpost #43 of 441/24/13 at 1:00ampost #44 of 441/26/13 at 2:11pmIt is perfect but after i add the headband cushion the cup start to clamp in my ear however if i take the cushion off the stock cup surround my ear perfectly.... As for the sound i put it through iphone only and i loved it so much!!!! The vocal are super clear!!! And the jazz with saxophone is superb!!! But i will order some other style cushion to try and see which one has the most confort... Overall i love it!!! And well worth the money lolz.
- Grado RS-1i. Holy cow these sound amazing!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Rumor: New Sennheiser Flagship to be surfaced ........ soon 23 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 56 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › [Review] Sennheiser IE800: Appreciation, Frustration and a bunch of... 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 2 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 3 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 4 minutes ago
- › Rank the Headphones that You Own. 5 minutes ago
- › Need something similar to AKG K240 6 minutes ago
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)