In your opinion what are the best all around headphones. I'm also looking at your answer as a suggestion. I have a wide range of music from bass heavy to detailed. When I say detailed I mean the song has little subtle sounds and details that need to be picked up in the song. Like Michael buble. His music needs detail. But then I have rap music which needs the bass. Suggestions? I wouldn't wanna spend more than 300-350. So far I've been told about the Beyerdynamic 770 PRO and Ultrasone Pro 900. I've also been told about AKG K701. Two are bass heavy and the AKG is "lacking" bass. I would say that for me, detail is more important than bass about 60/40
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productFischer Audio FA-002tagged by System, 9/26/11
- productFischer Audio FA-003tagged by System, 9/26/11
- productFischer Audio fa 011tagged by System, 9/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-300tagged by System, 9/26/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for $200-300 Indie Headphones Last post on 10/3/11 at 3:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- starting my headphone journey and need some advice on which headphones to get Last post on 9/25/11 at 1:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- This time, one pair for $300-$350 Last post on 9/26/11 at 9:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones 300$ Last post on 9/18/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable, open, flat/neutral, highly detailed and resolving headphones? (< ~$500) Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I just thought I'd write up a review on these headphones. They did a bit getting used to, because the reproduction of sound is so clear and even. Like getting used to a pair of studio monitors...
Its cheap, I got my blue ones for 6 dollars, it sounds good consider, and it is very light weight. I do not know why some people insist this pair is better than 50-100 dollar headphones, it's...
Well, i won't make a long review. Having the iPod Nano V6, SansaClip+, SansaClip Fuse, iAudio 6 and a mix of older Sony's, iPod's etc ... I think the best sounding player to me was the iAudio 6....
Do not buy an Astell & Kern 120. It claims 192Gb memory, but it indexes and uses only the internal memory - 64gb. The external SD cards carry files but do not show up on the device. Money spent...
Astell & Kern AKR01 Jimmy Moon at Astell & Kern was kind enough to lend me a pair of AKR01's for review. Big thanks to him. Anyways, review ahead! What are they: I notice that I haven't...
The best all around headphonespost #1 of 129/25/11 at 1:14pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 129/25/11 at 1:20pmpost #3 of 129/25/11 at 1:32pm
I won't say "best" but I will say very good for "all application" headphones suggestions:
Denon D2000 (closed, does your neutrality, detail and can slam serious bass)
Beyer DT880 (semi-open, neutral, detail, covers all bases nicely)
Fischer Audio FA-003 (closed, neutral)
Fischer Audio FA-002 (open, neutral)
Fischer Audio FA-011 (open, bassy, good extension and detail)
Sennheiser HD600 (open, neutralish, good extension)
Hifiman HE-300 (open, neutralish, bright, good extension)
Overall, I'd put you on the Denon D2000 if you wanted a closed headphone. And likely a FischerAudio FA-011 if you wanted an open headphone. Minimal circuit cost too (ie, don't need a super amp or anything, just get a basic amp or sound card and you're going to be fine with these).
Very best,post #4 of 129/25/11 at 2:47pm
I've listened to the AKG 701s, and i definitely agree that they are bass-light. If you're planning on running them with an amp then you can mitigate that somewhat, and they are great headphones.
I really like my Sennheiser HD-650's. You can get them for around that price range, and while they are a little "darker", I've loved the sound quality that I've got from them and haven't had any complaints.post #5 of 129/25/11 at 6:28pm
I'm pretty pleased with my Stax Lambdas with anything they play. Best all-rounders I've ever had...but I haven't sampled very many headphones, I'll admit.
Yes, this includes bass-heavy stuff. I hear the notes well, and they're generally not intruding on the mids. They just don't give much of an impact relative to dynamics, and I'm fine with that. Not looking for a concussion; if I were, I'd strap a bass shaker underneath my chair.
Detail-wise, these make the AD700s, the SS-20s, and every other dynamic I've listened to seem veiled and muffled by comparison, to the point where I notice fine details much easier. It's said to be one of the general strengths of electrostatics.
The problem is getting a Lambda-series model with a driver unit of any sort for $350 shipped or less. I lucked out with these ($250 with an SRD-7/SB), but most will go for at least $300 without one...and the cheaper driver units are simple transformer boxes that need a speaker amp for input, which means even more expense if you don't already have one (presumably in the form of an A/V receiver). It's not impossible by any means, but certainly not easy.post #6 of 1210/30/11 at 7:44ampost #7 of 1210/30/11 at 1:32pm
Since it looks like jmoney earpads can only be bought second hand now, you have to check if they are V1,2 or V3. I found the V1 and V2 less comfortable than the stock Denon pads becasue the holes are too small. The V3 have bigger holes.post #8 of 1210/30/11 at 5:44pmQuote:
the pair i bought was supposed to be v3....whew, i bought in pure innocence/ignorance..n hit the jackpot.
but i just wish someone ...somewhere, would mass produce these goodies, for the world to enjoy...
and sell it for usd10bucks.post #9 of 1210/30/11 at 7:45pm
Beyer DT770 is a bit too sharp for my taste, and I've heard that Ultrasone Pro 900 are quite bass heavy. Consider those qualities when buying.
I own the K702s (basically the same as the K701) and can tell you they're not all arounders, especially given your 60/40 ratio of detail to bass ratio. The AKGs is more like... 85/15 (unless you get a Burson HA-160).
I would go with the Beyer DT880 with JMoney leather pads. It'll do just about every genre justice.
Edited by NinjaSquirt - 10/30/11 at 7:49pmpost #10 of 1210/31/11 at 4:24ampost #11 of 1210/31/11 at 5:45am
- The best all around headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Joe Grado HP1000 modifications 11 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 25 seconds ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - a review in progress: Factory visit pg 18. IMGS pg... 34 seconds ago
- › Logitech UE6000 49 seconds ago
- › best 40 buck cans for metal? 56 seconds ago
- › Best source for gaming with an AKG Q701? 56 seconds ago
- › FS: Joe Grado HP2 99,99999% lettering HP1000 1 minute ago
- › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Heir Audio 5.0 by surge
- › Philips Fidelio S1 by pignolo
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by alflying
- › Dunu DN-1000 by Brooko
- › Heir Audio 3.Ai by hapopo
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe