In your opinion what are the best all around headphones. I'm also looking at your answer as a suggestion. I have a wide range of music from bass heavy to detailed. When I say detailed I mean the song has little subtle sounds and details that need to be picked up in the song. Like Michael buble. His music needs detail. But then I have rap music which needs the bass. Suggestions? I wouldn't wanna spend more than 300-350. So far I've been told about the Beyerdynamic 770 PRO and Ultrasone Pro 900. I've also been told about AKG K701. Two are bass heavy and the AKG is "lacking" bass. I would say that for me, detail is more important than bass about 60/40
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productFischer Audio FA-002tagged by System, 9/26/11
- productFischer Audio FA-003tagged by System, 9/26/11
- productFischer Audio fa 011tagged by System, 9/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
- productHiFiMAN HE-300tagged by System, 9/26/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 9/26/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for $200-300 Indie Headphones Last post on 10/3/11 at 3:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- starting my headphone journey and need some advice on which headphones to get Last post on 9/25/11 at 1:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
- This time, one pair for $300-$350 Last post on 9/26/11 at 9:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones 300$ Last post on 9/18/11 at 2:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Comfortable, open, flat/neutral, highly detailed and resolving headphones? (< ~$500) Last post on 11/14/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of New Zealand tour arranged by @Brooko & @Andykong, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
Ok so it is 2017 and I'm late to the party but I just got this headphone from Singapore Jaben because it seems they were clearing their stock. I got this for a whooping $34.90 SGD!! When I looked...
Have you ever felt like the spark that used to be there just vanished? That the world, once bright and colorful became bland and dull over time? That you no longer feel the joy, the excitement and...
Work in progress. I need to practice my English a bit...
Heard these with Chord Hugo and boy oh boy was I unimpressed... These are not worth anywhere their price point where their sound is concerned. Decently comfortable though. (The sound signature...
The best all around headphonespost #1 of 129/25/11 at 1:14pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 129/25/11 at 1:20pmpost #3 of 129/25/11 at 1:32pm
I won't say "best" but I will say very good for "all application" headphones suggestions:
Denon D2000 (closed, does your neutrality, detail and can slam serious bass)
Beyer DT880 (semi-open, neutral, detail, covers all bases nicely)
Fischer Audio FA-003 (closed, neutral)
Fischer Audio FA-002 (open, neutral)
Fischer Audio FA-011 (open, bassy, good extension and detail)
Sennheiser HD600 (open, neutralish, good extension)
Hifiman HE-300 (open, neutralish, bright, good extension)
Overall, I'd put you on the Denon D2000 if you wanted a closed headphone. And likely a FischerAudio FA-011 if you wanted an open headphone. Minimal circuit cost too (ie, don't need a super amp or anything, just get a basic amp or sound card and you're going to be fine with these).
Very best,post #4 of 129/25/11 at 2:47pm
I've listened to the AKG 701s, and i definitely agree that they are bass-light. If you're planning on running them with an amp then you can mitigate that somewhat, and they are great headphones.
I really like my Sennheiser HD-650's. You can get them for around that price range, and while they are a little "darker", I've loved the sound quality that I've got from them and haven't had any complaints.post #5 of 129/25/11 at 6:28pm
I'm pretty pleased with my Stax Lambdas with anything they play. Best all-rounders I've ever had...but I haven't sampled very many headphones, I'll admit.
Yes, this includes bass-heavy stuff. I hear the notes well, and they're generally not intruding on the mids. They just don't give much of an impact relative to dynamics, and I'm fine with that. Not looking for a concussion; if I were, I'd strap a bass shaker underneath my chair.
Detail-wise, these make the AD700s, the SS-20s, and every other dynamic I've listened to seem veiled and muffled by comparison, to the point where I notice fine details much easier. It's said to be one of the general strengths of electrostatics.
The problem is getting a Lambda-series model with a driver unit of any sort for $350 shipped or less. I lucked out with these ($250 with an SRD-7/SB), but most will go for at least $300 without one...and the cheaper driver units are simple transformer boxes that need a speaker amp for input, which means even more expense if you don't already have one (presumably in the form of an A/V receiver). It's not impossible by any means, but certainly not easy.post #6 of 1210/30/11 at 7:44ampost #7 of 1210/30/11 at 1:32pm
Since it looks like jmoney earpads can only be bought second hand now, you have to check if they are V1,2 or V3. I found the V1 and V2 less comfortable than the stock Denon pads becasue the holes are too small. The V3 have bigger holes.post #8 of 1210/30/11 at 5:44pmQuote:
the pair i bought was supposed to be v3....whew, i bought in pure innocence/ignorance..n hit the jackpot.
but i just wish someone ...somewhere, would mass produce these goodies, for the world to enjoy...
and sell it for usd10bucks.post #9 of 1210/30/11 at 7:45pm
Beyer DT770 is a bit too sharp for my taste, and I've heard that Ultrasone Pro 900 are quite bass heavy. Consider those qualities when buying.
I own the K702s (basically the same as the K701) and can tell you they're not all arounders, especially given your 60/40 ratio of detail to bass ratio. The AKGs is more like... 85/15 (unless you get a Burson HA-160).
I would go with the Beyer DT880 with JMoney leather pads. It'll do just about every genre justice.
Edited by NinjaSquirt - 10/30/11 at 7:49pmpost #10 of 1210/31/11 at 4:24ampost #11 of 1210/31/11 at 5:45am
- The best all around headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › nad hp50 replacement earpads 59 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 6 minutes ago
- › Want to buy a headphone but don't really know which one fits. 7 minutes ago
- › Can Con Sydney Australia 7.0 - Impressions Thread - 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 8 minutes ago
- › [FS] AUDEZE iSINE 10 In-Ear monitor headphone 8 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black (One Week Old) 11 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016 13 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Goldring DR150 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by themindfreak
- › Sparkos Labs SS3602 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ by VintageFlanker
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by GirgleMirt
- › Onkyo E700M In-ear headphones Black with microphone by doraymon
- › K240 DF by asymcon
- › TWag V4 Litz ciem replacement cable by tex thai
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by Varun Shankar
- › Panasonic RP-HT460E-K by PETEBULL
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear