Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ** Confessions of a Failing Audiophile ** - I hated the LCD2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Confessions of a Failing Audiophile ** - I hated the LCD2 - Page 5  

post #61 of 631

In before the "you need a $2000 rig or else you're not getting the most out of your LCD2" or maybe that's already been said, didn't read every post

 

There's too much hype and talk about how the LCD2 is the best headphone ever. I demo'ed the LCD2 at a meet and while it was good, it didn't make my jaw drop. I don't know if it was because of the expectations but it wasn't like I had a pessimist mentality or outlook as I looked forward to listening to it. Someone's modded T50RP wasn't far from it at all pretty darn close I'd say; it just didn't look as good nor did it come in a fancy case.

post #62 of 631

I rescind my previous empathy for the OP. wink.gif People have stated that while they don't agree with your assessment of the LCD-2, they also understand where you're coming from. To reply that those holding tolerances and preferences different to yours as stubborn is poor form imo. You're entitled to your views OP, but you also need to show others the same courtesy.

post #63 of 631

I'm new to the audiophile crowd but I've had plenty of hobbies and addictions in the past and I will say one thing that is awesome about headphone audiophilia is just what people are complaining about.  You don't have to spend huge money to get near the pinnacle of what can be done technologically.  Most hobbies aren't like that at all.

 

We could all talk to the manufacturers and have them raise the prices on all their mid-range models to make us feel better I guess wink_face.gif

post #64 of 631
Thread Starter 

People can disagree with me until they are blue in the face but in my eyes none of them are justified in their views that the LCD2 or any of the hi fi sets have sound quality that rival their price tags over some of the awesome sets found in Mid-Fi land.  If you think the LCD2 if worth an extra $800 or so over the HD598 you are mistaken in my eyes.  I don't hear anything that screams this is worth that kind of money.  Especially so in the Edition 8 which costs upwards of $1600 new.  Being my favorite of the hi fi sets, it was THAT SOUND i searched for, for the last 15 years.  But I paid $1500 for it and it was still inferior in some areas to the HD 598.  

 

So, I was paying for art more than anything else.  In the LCD2s case, I am paying for really uncomfortable art.  Don't mistake me for bashing the LCD2 or any hi fi sets, I simply disagree with their price tags.  If you want the best set available, the Audeze is definitely one of them.

 

@Olor1, I have no idea what you are talking about.  Did you read my posts?  I think I have issued the same courtesy and stated so a few times, lol.  I think people are stubborn BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN STUBBORN for nearly 2 decades.  HA!   It's definitely true in my view.  You want to make a compromise and justify using a seriously uncomfortable, large, bulky set of headphones because others say its awesome and so you can have the status of owning one, or for artistic reasons.  Beyond that, what is your justification for not being stubborn ? 

 

:D


Edited by swbf2cheater - 9/26/11 at 1:29am
post #65 of 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbf2cheater View Post

People can disagree with me until they are blue in the face but in my eyes none of them are justified in their views that the LCD2 or any of the hi fi sets have sound quality that rival their price tags over some of the awesome sets found in Mid-Fi land.  If you think the LCD2 if worth an extra $800 or so over the HD598 you are mistaken in my eyes.  I don't hear anything that screams this is worth that kind of money.  Especially so in the Edition 8 which costs upwards of $1600 new.  Being my favorite of the hi fi sets, it was THAT SOUND i searched for, for the last 15 years.  But I paid $1500 for it and it was still inferior in some areas to the HD 598.  

 

So, I was paying for art more than anything else.  In the LCD2s case, I am paying for really uncomfortable art.  Don't mistake me for bashing the LCD2 or any hi fi sets, I simply disagree with their price tags.  If you want the best set available, the Audeze is definitely one of them.



You just had a total epiphany. Sound is art, art is subjective, it all costs a lot, and in the end, most of us won't end up finding something suiting our style until we spend ourselves broke. And even then, all we have is a piece of art.

 

I dont know what it is about audio that is so compelling, especially headphones. I thought it was just my addictive and hyper active boredom that got me so involved, but i think there's some substance to it, and now that you mention it, it IS art. 

 

I just hope i can find my Mona Lisa before i go broke :D

 

At least I'm enjoying the process.

 

I have a hard time coming to terms with it, but i'm starting to believe that a lot of the money you pay is in the process of finding something you like rather then spending it on your beloved final headphone.


Edited by Vonx - 9/26/11 at 1:34am
post #66 of 631

I think you are right about yourself.  You are a failed Audiophile.  Don't flame me though for my reply,  your'e the one who self titled the thread.  I'm simply agreeing with you.  Maybe you can still find success and achievement in another hobby.very_evil_smiley.gif

post #67 of 631

I'm surprised you found out about it just now OP.

 

Would I spend $900 for the LCD2? Maybe. Is it worth $600 over the HD 650? No.

 

 

 

post #68 of 631
Thread Starter 

I agree with you, completely and with all my soul.  It's art, and as I've said if it makes you happy, go for it and that my one set was the Edition 8 which I felt just fine in paying $1500 for at the time I got it.  For my happiness, its worth it.  For pure audio qualities, its not even remotely close to being justified. Thats my point behind all of this heh, don't be sucked into someone elses dream for pure status's sake

 

 

I definitely didn't "just find out about this" as you've said.  If anyone actually reads my reviews ( which you clearly have not ) you would know its not a new thing for me.

post #69 of 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbf2cheater View Post

People can disagree with me until they are blue in the face but in my eyes none of them are justified in their views that the LCD2 or any of the hi fi sets have sound quality that rival their price tags over some of the awesome sets found in Mid-Fi land.  If you think the LCD2 if worth an extra $800 or so over the HD598 you are mistaken in my eyes.  I don't hear anything that screams this is worth that kind of money.  Especially so in the Edition 8 which costs upwards of $1600 new.  Being my favorite of the hi fi sets, it was THAT SOUND i searched for, for the last 15 years.  But I paid $1500 for it and it was still inferior in some areas to the HD 598.  

 

So, I was paying for art more than anything else.  In the LCD2s case, I am paying for really uncomfortable art.  Don't mistake me for bashing the LCD2 or any hi fi sets, I simply disagree with their price tags.  If you want the best set available, the Audeze is definitely one of them.

 

@Olor1, I have no idea what you are talking about.  Did you read my posts?  I think I have issued the same courtesy and stated so a few times, lol.  I think people are stubborn BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN STUBBORN for nearly 2 decades.  HA!   It's definitely true in my view.  You want to make a compromise and justify using a seriously uncomfortable, large, bulky set of headphones because others say its awesome and so you can have the status of owning one, or for artistic reasons.  Beyond that, what is your justification for not being stubborn ? 

 

:D



Not everyone agrees with you that the LCD-2 is uncomfortable. That's absurdly presumptuous of you to generalise that people put up with these "issues" to conform and for the status of ownership.

post #70 of 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt View Post

I think you are right about yourself.  You are a failed Audiophile.  Don't flame me though for my reply,  your'e the one who self titled the thread.  I'm simply agreeing with you.  Maybe you can still find success and achievement in another hobby.very_evil_smiley.gif



au-dio-phile: noun

 

Lets break it apart.

 

audio: of or relating to acoustic, mechanical, or electrical frequencies corresponding to normally audible sound waves which are of frequencies approximately from 15 to 20,000 hertz

 

phile: noun greek: love: lover : one having an affinity for or a strong attraction to

 

Love of sound.

 

You can still love sound without owning a single headphone. Your interpretation of what an audiophile is, is heavily misinformed and contorted. 

 

 

 


Edited by Vonx - 9/26/11 at 1:40am
post #71 of 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonx View Post





au-dio-phile: noun

 

Lets break it apart.

 

audio: of or relating to acoustic, mechanical, or electrical frequencies corresponding to normally audible sound waves which are of frequencies approximately from 15 to 20,000 hertz

 

phile: noun greek: love: lover : one having an affinity for or a strong attraction to

 

Love of sound.

 

You can still love sound without owning a single headphone. Your interpretation of what an audiophile is, is heavily misinformed and contorted. 

 


I don't understand your post.  I'm simply agreeing with the OP's description of himself.  

 

post #72 of 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbf2cheater View Post

I agree with you, completely and with all my soul.  It's art, and as I've said if it makes you happy, go for it and that my one set was the Edition 8 which I felt just fine in paying $1500 for at the time I got it.  For my happiness, its worth it.  For pure audio qualities, its not even remotely close to being justified. Thats my point behind all of this heh, don't be sucked into someone elses dream for pure status's sake

 

 

I definitely didn't "just find out about this" as you've said.  If anyone actually reads my reviews ( which you clearly have not ) you would know its not a new thing for me.



My suggestion to you is, keep your most valued art peice, enjoy it for all its worth, and sell everything you've used and experienced on the way, and consider the losses in between a payment for the experience.

 

It's really not that bad.

 

And your a step ahead, since i haven't reached that point yet.

 

Thanks for the mention of the HD 598, btw.

 

I'll keep that into consideration.

post #73 of 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt View Post




I don't understand your post.  I'm simply agreeing with the OP's description of himself.  

 



His definition was technically wrong too, as is most of the use of the term here on Head-Fi, but your just an *******. 

post #74 of 631
Thread Starter 

@ vonx, yes, I love my HD598, its amazing to me.  Its a very comfortable set that is well rounded, mine is recabled for shorter portable needs.  I paid $120 for it not too long ago and have been loving the hell out of it.  My original HD 598 was slightly defective and I had to return it, decided not to exchange it and kicked myself ever since.  Great set of headphones, I don't have to switch headphones when a new genre comes on or use an amp, my pico slim and other portable amps do nothing for it out of the J3, I can also game like no tomorrow.  Positioning on it is amazing, I have no trouble hearing any sounds in Modern Warfare 2 and place them so easily, its almost unfair

 

...this is something my LCD2 couldn't do :P  

 


In the nicest way possible, this is absolutely one of the most lol worthy statements I have ever read here :)

A 350+ gram set of headphones with massive earpads and a giant cable is comfortable...thats a seriously magnificent and bold statement on par with my own ;)

Not everyone agrees with you that the LCD-2 is uncomfortable. That's absurdly presumptuous of you to generalise that people put up with these "issues" to conform and for the status of ownership.


Edited by swbf2cheater - 9/26/11 at 1:49am
post #75 of 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbf2cheater View Post


In the nicest way possible, this is absolutely one of the most lol worthy statements I have ever read here :)

A 350+ gram set of headphones with massive earpads and a giant cable is comfortable...thats a seriously magnificent and bold statement on par with my own ;)



Why don't people quit arguing over things that are subjective?

 

Wasn't that supposed to be the first thing you learned when you came to head-fi, that people have opinions and they don't always match?

 

The fact of the matter is, you all bought headphones. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ** Confessions of a Failing Audiophile ** - I hated the LCD2