As far as a portable rig goes, how do the closed Thunderpants that Smeggy makes paired with an amp/dac like the Fostex HP-P1 Jude uses with it compare to custom IEMs like the Westone ES5 and the JH-16 straight out of an iPod or with an amp/dac in terms of sound quality and isolation? I have a feeling that these may replace some IEMs in portable rigs like some IEMs replaced open headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Purely SQ: Fullsized vs IEMs Last post on 4/30/12 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full size Last post on 8/3/11 at 5:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Been gone a while out of country but back. Whats new in customs es5, jh16? Last post on 4/8/11 at 7:29am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone ES5 Last post on 6/12/14 at 4:24pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I am not sure how these got such rave reviews. As background I've used DBA02 Sony XBA3 prior to purchasing these. I was interested because of its double dynamic drivers. After receiving...
Disclaimer: I would like to sincerely thank Salsera and Brainwavz for providing the sample S5 for this review. For most of my audio listening “career”, I haven’t been a big fan of...
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
Thunderpants vs Custom IEMSpost #1 of 39/24/11 at 3:51pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 39/24/11 at 8:38pm
not sure the hp-p1 woudl drive the TP's optimally
TP's are obviously less portale than customs
TP's isolate well, but customs would almost surely isolate more
cant tell you anything about sound quality comparison or type of sound signature, except that a guess would be that the sound signature of full sized closed orthos like the TP's is simply going to be different than the other IEM's mentioned.. even if they possibly were as good sounding (i dont actually know) i doubt they would sound very similar.post #3 of 33/24/12 at 9:34am
I have smeggy's thunderpants with O2 pads. Wearing it on the go makes my ears really sweaty, not really good. And the bass port lets wind sounds in.
They're also really hard to drive. My westone 4's go up to 1 out of 10 out of my Hifiman HM-801. Thunderpants go up to 6 out of 10, more than my HE-500's, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's 250Ohm...
Just go with customs dude. Thunderpants aren't meant for portable use. I mean, they even have 1/4 inch TRS jacks...Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thunderpants vs Custom IEMS
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 40 seconds ago
- › Looking for a new pair of Headphones 1 minute ago
- › The need for amplifiers 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 2 minutes ago
- › Jitter Correlation to Audibility 2 minutes ago
- › What "house sound" annoys you the most? 3 minutes ago
- › Vintage Pioneer thread 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Senn HD650 paired up with iFi Micro iDSD 4 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 4 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by xsuper
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by HK_sends
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)