As far as a portable rig goes, how do the closed Thunderpants that Smeggy makes paired with an amp/dac like the Fostex HP-P1 Jude uses with it compare to custom IEMs like the Westone ES5 and the JH-16 straight out of an iPod or with an amp/dac in terms of sound quality and isolation? I have a feeling that these may replace some IEMs in portable rigs like some IEMs replaced open headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Purely SQ: Fullsized vs IEMs Last post on 4/30/12 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full size Last post on 8/3/11 at 5:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Been gone a while out of country but back. Whats new in customs es5, jh16? Last post on 4/8/11 at 7:29am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone ES5 Last post on 5/17/15 at 11:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
A few years back, my family and I underwent a rather large home renovation (including not having a kitchen for 10 weeks; suffice it to say I was sick of take-out food after the summer of 2014). As...
INTRO I purchased these made in China headphones on a whim out of curiosity as the design looked really cool and to see what Audioquest might be thinking with their first foray in to...
The Soundmagic E80 was purchased by me from Penon Audio. I’m not in any way affiliated with Penon Audio or Soundmagic. The price was $69 when I bought them and this is where I ordered them...
(note: pictures included are not mine, I grabbed them from the net to make the article easier to read) I've had these for well over a year and used them at least 5 days-a-week during that...
Many thanks to Brooko for arranging this tour unit Pros: External Playlists: Pretty much my number one priority after sound, this took some fiddling to get working from my Mac/iTunes but I...
Thunderpants vs Custom IEMSpost #1 of 39/24/11 at 3:51pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 39/24/11 at 8:38pm
not sure the hp-p1 woudl drive the TP's optimally
TP's are obviously less portale than customs
TP's isolate well, but customs would almost surely isolate more
cant tell you anything about sound quality comparison or type of sound signature, except that a guess would be that the sound signature of full sized closed orthos like the TP's is simply going to be different than the other IEM's mentioned.. even if they possibly were as good sounding (i dont actually know) i doubt they would sound very similar.post #3 of 33/24/12 at 9:34am
I have smeggy's thunderpants with O2 pads. Wearing it on the go makes my ears really sweaty, not really good. And the bass port lets wind sounds in.
They're also really hard to drive. My westone 4's go up to 1 out of 10 out of my Hifiman HM-801. Thunderpants go up to 6 out of 10, more than my HE-500's, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's 250Ohm...
Just go with customs dude. Thunderpants aren't meant for portable use. I mean, they even have 1/4 inch TRS jacks...Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thunderpants vs Custom IEMS
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.3 - July 2, 2015 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Asus Xonar STX + HD 598's settings help wanted 2 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › Budget mid centric IEM 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 by MacedonianHero
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Mediahound
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by peter123
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3