As far as a portable rig goes, how do the closed Thunderpants that Smeggy makes paired with an amp/dac like the Fostex HP-P1 Jude uses with it compare to custom IEMs like the Westone ES5 and the JH-16 straight out of an iPod or with an amp/dac in terms of sound quality and isolation? I have a feeling that these may replace some IEMs in portable rigs like some IEMs replaced open headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Purely SQ: Fullsized vs IEMs Last post on 4/30/12 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full size Last post on 8/3/11 at 5:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Been gone a while out of country but back. Whats new in customs es5, jh16? Last post on 4/8/11 at 7:29am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Westone ES5 Last post on 9/15/14 at 4:41am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Disclaimer: I was sent a sample of the Brainwavz S5 for review. This will not affect my opinion of these IEMs in any way. You can also find this review(with pictures) on my own blog...
Switching from desktop audio system to the dap system is a painful experience if you have a seriously monitoring taste for any music and get used to top-notch headphones system like hd800+ ecba...
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Thunderpants vs Custom IEMSpost #1 of 39/24/11 at 3:51pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 39/24/11 at 8:38pm
not sure the hp-p1 woudl drive the TP's optimally
TP's are obviously less portale than customs
TP's isolate well, but customs would almost surely isolate more
cant tell you anything about sound quality comparison or type of sound signature, except that a guess would be that the sound signature of full sized closed orthos like the TP's is simply going to be different than the other IEM's mentioned.. even if they possibly were as good sounding (i dont actually know) i doubt they would sound very similar.post #3 of 33/24/12 at 9:34am
I have smeggy's thunderpants with O2 pads. Wearing it on the go makes my ears really sweaty, not really good. And the bass port lets wind sounds in.
They're also really hard to drive. My westone 4's go up to 1 out of 10 out of my Hifiman HM-801. Thunderpants go up to 6 out of 10, more than my HE-500's, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's 250Ohm...
Just go with customs dude. Thunderpants aren't meant for portable use. I mean, they even have 1/4 inch TRS jacks...Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thunderpants vs Custom IEMS
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 24 seconds ago
- › AKG k3003i 1 minute ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread 2 minutes ago
- › SF Bay Area little big MEET (it's happening!) 2 minutes ago
- › Alo International+ 2 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80, Brand new, I'll beat any price. 5 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)