I see these pictures of portable amps hooked up to ipod classics using things that look like the livestrong bracelets, and I want to know what kind of amp best fits me. I am getting the Sennheiser HD 600s, and am willing to pay around 150, maybe 200 dollars on my first headphone amp. I know with the HD 600s you are supposed to get a really nice amp, but this is my first one and I want to start off a little bit smaller. Any suggestions?
Related Forum Threads
- Can the E7 power the HD 600 at all better than just listening straight through my iPhone? Last post on 9/17/11 at 2:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphone Match for The SR-71b Last post on 8/17/11 at 3:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Is it my ears?! :-p (amp differences) Last post on 8/1/11 at 9:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for Fiio E7 + E9 Last post on 6/14/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 10/9/14 at 2:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 6/30/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 6/26/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
First things first: I would like to thank Lin and RHA for the opportunity to test these IEMs and provide my honest opinion of them in return. It really is great that this community allows this...
Not too long ago, I was a lowly noob looking for my first headphones. I waded through the murky waters of terminology I couldn’t understand and brands I’d never heard of before. Over time, some...
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
Portable amp for ipod classic + Sennheiser HD 600?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 199/24/11 at 2:05pmpost #3 of 199/24/11 at 2:22pmThread Starterpost #4 of 199/24/11 at 2:30pm
I don't really know much about portable amps (so think of this as a free bump) but look at ibassos although I don't know if they make any that would be all that great with the HD600. I have seen people recommending tubes for the HD600 so a portable may not be enough.post #5 of 199/24/11 at 2:44pm
SR71 is out of your price range new, but I have occasionally seen these go for a song at Audiogon. SR71, Stepdance , i-Qube and amps of that ilk are the only portables worth considering for HD600's. Still far from ideal, especially since these are not prototypical portable 'phones.post #6 of 199/24/11 at 4:00pmpost #7 of 199/24/11 at 4:04pmpost #8 of 199/24/11 at 6:53pmpost #9 of 199/24/11 at 8:20pmpost #10 of 199/25/11 at 2:54am
I also have the HD600 and went for the Vivid Technologies V1 as my first amp. I'm not expert but am very happy with the combo, would also recommend getting the Fiio L9 LOD to go with the ipod.
HeadphoneAddict has a good write up about the little amppost #11 of 199/25/11 at 3:16ampost #12 of 1910/4/11 at 8:37ampost #13 of 1910/5/11 at 5:19ampost #14 of 1910/5/11 at 5:10pmpost #15 of 1910/5/11 at 5:17pm
Keep your eyes open for a pre-loved SR 71-A. I have seen these as low as $200 when they come up. One of a small handful of portable amps truly capable of doing justice to HD600's. I have heard of smaller RSA portables doing a good job but do not have first hand experience. SR 71-A is a slam dunk performance-wise.
Edited by Il Mostro - 10/5/11 at 5:18pm
- Portable amp for ipod classic + Sennheiser HD 600?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 9 seconds ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 13 seconds ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 17 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 33 seconds ago
- › La Figaro 339 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 1 minute ago
- › The Mi Headphones by Xiaomi (Lively Discussions starting Page 7) 2 minutes ago
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3