I see these pictures of portable amps hooked up to ipod classics using things that look like the livestrong bracelets, and I want to know what kind of amp best fits me. I am getting the Sennheiser HD 600s, and am willing to pay around 150, maybe 200 dollars on my first headphone amp. I know with the HD 600s you are supposed to get a really nice amp, but this is my first one and I want to start off a little bit smaller. Any suggestions?
Related Forum Threads
- Can the E7 power the HD 600 at all better than just listening straight through my iPhone? Last post on 9/17/11 at 2:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphone Match for The SR-71b Last post on 8/17/11 at 3:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Is it my ears?! :-p (amp differences) Last post on 8/1/11 at 9:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for Fiio E7 + E9 Last post on 6/14/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 10/9/14 at 2:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Build/Accessories: The Earsonics SM3 is a triple balanced armature IEM, with one driver for the lows, one for the mids, and one for the treble region. the shell is clear acryllic on the...
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Portable amp for ipod classic + Sennheiser HD 600?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 199/24/11 at 2:05pmpost #3 of 199/24/11 at 2:22pmThread Starterpost #4 of 199/24/11 at 2:30pm
I don't really know much about portable amps (so think of this as a free bump) but look at ibassos although I don't know if they make any that would be all that great with the HD600. I have seen people recommending tubes for the HD600 so a portable may not be enough.post #5 of 199/24/11 at 2:44pm
SR71 is out of your price range new, but I have occasionally seen these go for a song at Audiogon. SR71, Stepdance , i-Qube and amps of that ilk are the only portables worth considering for HD600's. Still far from ideal, especially since these are not prototypical portable 'phones.post #6 of 199/24/11 at 4:00pmpost #7 of 199/24/11 at 4:04pmpost #8 of 199/24/11 at 6:53pmpost #9 of 199/24/11 at 8:20pmpost #10 of 199/25/11 at 2:54am
I also have the HD600 and went for the Vivid Technologies V1 as my first amp. I'm not expert but am very happy with the combo, would also recommend getting the Fiio L9 LOD to go with the ipod.
HeadphoneAddict has a good write up about the little amppost #11 of 199/25/11 at 3:16ampost #12 of 1910/4/11 at 8:37ampost #13 of 1910/5/11 at 5:19ampost #14 of 1910/5/11 at 5:10pmpost #15 of 1910/5/11 at 5:17pm
Keep your eyes open for a pre-loved SR 71-A. I have seen these as low as $200 when they come up. One of a small handful of portable amps truly capable of doing justice to HD600's. I have heard of smaller RSA portables doing a good job but do not have first hand experience. SR 71-A is a slam dunk performance-wise.
Edited by Il Mostro - 10/5/11 at 5:18pm
- Portable amp for ipod classic + Sennheiser HD 600?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 58 seconds ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 1 minute ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 1 minute ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 6 minutes ago
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear