I see these pictures of portable amps hooked up to ipod classics using things that look like the livestrong bracelets, and I want to know what kind of amp best fits me. I am getting the Sennheiser HD 600s, and am willing to pay around 150, maybe 200 dollars on my first headphone amp. I know with the HD 600s you are supposed to get a really nice amp, but this is my first one and I want to start off a little bit smaller. Any suggestions?
Related Forum Threads
- Can the E7 power the HD 600 at all better than just listening straight through my iPhone? Last post on 9/17/11 at 2:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphone Match for The SR-71b Last post on 8/17/11 at 3:59pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Is it my ears?! :-p (amp differences) Last post on 8/1/11 at 9:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for Fiio E7 + E9 Last post on 6/14/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 8/14/14 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 7/30/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The HD600 is a pair of excellent sounding cans. They have a balanced, natural sound and the soundstage is remarkably large. I can hear all sorts of sounds while listening to these cans and I can...
Before I begin, I’d like to thank shotgunshane for the opportunity to review these new headphones. My first experience with Brainwavz was when I picked up their M4 a couple of years ago. I was...
I have used this amp for about a year now, and I must say it has served me well. POWER Through many different headphones, the FiiO E09K hasn't skipped a beat, and has driven everything from...
Using WASAPI, ASIO and onboard stock drivers yielded the exact same result. Same sound quality and same sound coloration. Unless you are suffering from serious EMI and static noise then these dont...
This is a review of TTPOD T1E dual dynamic driver in-ear headphones. http://penonaudio.com/TTPOD-T1E-Bass Here you go, another in-ear headphone gem for under $50! Though I was a bit skeptical...
Portable amp for ipod classic + Sennheiser HD 600?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 199/24/11 at 2:05pmpost #3 of 199/24/11 at 2:22pmThread Starterpost #4 of 199/24/11 at 2:30pm
I don't really know much about portable amps (so think of this as a free bump) but look at ibassos although I don't know if they make any that would be all that great with the HD600. I have seen people recommending tubes for the HD600 so a portable may not be enough.post #5 of 199/24/11 at 2:44pm
SR71 is out of your price range new, but I have occasionally seen these go for a song at Audiogon. SR71, Stepdance , i-Qube and amps of that ilk are the only portables worth considering for HD600's. Still far from ideal, especially since these are not prototypical portable 'phones.post #6 of 199/24/11 at 4:00pmpost #7 of 199/24/11 at 4:04pmpost #8 of 199/24/11 at 6:53pmpost #9 of 199/24/11 at 8:20pmpost #10 of 199/25/11 at 2:54am
I also have the HD600 and went for the Vivid Technologies V1 as my first amp. I'm not expert but am very happy with the combo, would also recommend getting the Fiio L9 LOD to go with the ipod.
HeadphoneAddict has a good write up about the little amppost #11 of 199/25/11 at 3:16ampost #12 of 1910/4/11 at 8:37ampost #13 of 1910/5/11 at 5:19ampost #14 of 1910/5/11 at 5:10pmpost #15 of 1910/5/11 at 5:17pm
Keep your eyes open for a pre-loved SR 71-A. I have seen these as low as $200 when they come up. One of a small handful of portable amps truly capable of doing justice to HD600's. I have heard of smaller RSA portables doing a good job but do not have first hand experience. SR 71-A is a slam dunk performance-wise.
Edited by Il Mostro - 10/5/11 at 5:18pm
- Portable amp for ipod classic + Sennheiser HD 600?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-07-30 8 seconds ago
- › Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Appreciation Thread 21 seconds ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 57 seconds ago
- › Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10??? 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › First pair of decent headphones for electronic music. ($100-150 range) 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by freedom04
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ZapX629
- › FiiO E09K by MacroPower
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by wigglepuff
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by twister6
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by bhazard
- › AKG K712 Pro by achelgeson
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Barra
- › PHILIPS-HEADPHONES SHQ1200/28 SHQ1200/28 SPORTS IN EAR HEADPHONES by dieTasse
- › Beats by Dr. Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones by juston
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)