Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review - Page 15

post #211 of 654

^What I have been using lately to prevent iPhone interference (without putting my phone into airplane mode) is my "dock extender cable".

 

Actually got the dock extender (~$15) to use with Pure i20 dock + iPad but it works great as tethered Source > Amp > Phones.

 

(Might help somebody out there that does not have to connect their iPhone to the amp.)

Reply
post #212 of 654
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartus View Post

@Average Joe, I see that stepdance is a german company (next to the the netherlands) so that is convenient for me. But do you have any idea about the running time of the stepdance on one of those 9V batterys? I am sort of concerned that I will end up buying 5 of them a week.

 

I believe the newest Stepdance, the 2Stepdance has better battery life, and if you buy batteries like these or these you should be set.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post

^What I have been using lately to prevent iPhone interference (without putting my phone into airplane mode) is my "dock extender cable".

 

Actually got the dock extender (~$15) to use with Pure i20 dock + iPad but it works great as tethered Source > Amp > Phones.

 

(Might help somebody out there that does not have to connect their iPhone to the amp.)

 

So you keep your amp far from your phone?  How convenient is that?  I thought it would be great to use the Arrow 4G with the iPhone, but the interference is a drag.

post #213 of 654

My first pair of customs ever.

 

Only just been listening for 20-30 mins.

 

First impressions..not bad. i can live with this for on the go.

 

The artwork is my friend's take on the OM symbol with part of it depicting a dancing girl.

 

 

post #214 of 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post

My first pair of customs ever.

 

Only just been listening for 20-30 mins.

 

First impressions..not bad. i can live with this for on the go.

 

The artwork is my friend's take on the OM symbol with part of it depicting a dancing girl.

 

 

 

 

 

nice

post #215 of 654
They will grow on you. The 3D sensation these are capable of producing is hard to duplicate, even my HD800 can't do it. They aren't without fault, but they are certainly one of the best out there.
post #216 of 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post

My first pair of customs ever.

 

Only just been listening for 20-30 mins.

 

First impressions..not bad. i can live with this for on the go.

 

The artwork is my friend's take on the OM symbol with part of it depicting a dancing girl.

 

 

 

smile.gif WELCOME to UERM

post #217 of 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

 

I believe the newest Stepdance, the 2Stepdance has better battery life, and if you buy batteries like these or these you should be set.

 

 

So you keep your amp far from your phone?  How convenient is that?  I thought it would be great to use the Arrow 4G with the iPhone, but the interference is a drag.

 

I'm going to grab some shielding film/foil and line the inside of my gear w/ it.

post #218 of 654
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post

My first pair of customs ever.

 

Only just been listening for 20-30 mins.

 

First impressions..not bad. i can live with this for on the go.

 

The artwork is my friend's take on the OM symbol with part of it depicting a dancing girl.

 

 

 

Very nice!  Please give us some additional thoughts when you have had more time with them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

 

I'm going to grab some shielding film/foil and line the inside of my gear w/ it.

 

So you are going to build a Faraday cage?  Let me know if you can fix the Arrow 4G!

post #219 of 654

I really enjoy the UERM's matched with the Pico Slim.  It isn't cheap-- but I'm a big fan.  The Slim is a sweet, warm amp, and reveals a lot more detail compared to the headphone out of an iPhone.  The UERM's don't match quite as well with the Fiio E17, IMO, but it's not exactly awful, either.  I like the E17 for its convenience-- it's a Swiss Army audio box in a professional package, so it travels with my UERMs in a Pelican case.

post #220 of 654

The Pico Slim is the only amp I've heard which produces no hiss with custom IEMs AND provides a wide, channel-balanced, useable (i.e. not too loud at the lowest settings) volume range even with hot sources like the CLAS and HM-801.

 

Sonically, it's a pretty good match with the UERM, though the Slim tends toward the bright side of neutral and sounds slightly digital and thin, both of which are somewhat natural tendencies of the UERM.  The result, IMO, is a somewhat artificially sharp resolution that seems to lack some natural tonality and bass weight.

 

Still, for the ability to produce a pure black background and offer quite a bit of play on the volume knob before it gets too loud, the Slim beats out the TTVJ Slim, SR71b, Rx MK3, and the 2 desktop amps I've tried (V200 and Liquid Fire).

post #221 of 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj nellie View Post

The Pico Slim is the only amp I've heard which produces no hiss with custom IEMs AND provides a wide, channel-balanced, useable (i.e. not too loud at the lowest settings) volume range even with hot sources like the CLAS and HM-801.

 

Sonically, it's a pretty good match with the UERM, though the Slim tends toward the bright side of neutral and sounds slightly digital and thin, both of which are somewhat natural tendencies of the UERM.  The result, IMO, is a somewhat artificially sharp resolution that seems to lack some natural tonality and bass weight.

I would have to agree with DJ Nellie about his assessment of the sound of the amp.

 

The size/clarity/channel balance should outweigh the slight upper-mid tilt and thinner tonality for most people due to the overall quality and form factor of this pairing.

 

Another thing to consider is your source.  My iPhone 4S is a little muddy and a teeny bit dark, IMO.  So the combo balances pretty nicely.

 

After listening to the Pico Power at the recent SoCal meet, however- I decided to try and replace the tonality of my mini^3 (slight preference to Pico Slim) plus the clean/balanced operation of the Pico Slim with the <one> Pico Power.

 

The Pico Power showed me that my mini^3 does have some noise/distortion (slightly noticeable in A/B) and Justin said that I can run the Power with the 3-position switch at a gain of 1, ~5, 10.

 

The Power prototype did exhibit a little channel-imbalance at very low volume that I mentioned to Justin but he said that he was going to hand-select each pot so not to worry, "this is just the prototype". 

 

Power is definitely bigger than the Pico Slim and closer to the Mini^3 in size, but fits the size of the iPhone a bit better due to shape.

 

Summary?  Going to try and replace my Pico Slim, mini^3, iBasso D12 (OPA627) with the Pico Power.    (My TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid may stay as different flavor of HD800 trans-portable.)

Reply
post #222 of 654
Thread Starter 

I find the Pico Slim to be a very nice amp in many ways and I have to agree that it has the best volume control for IEMs and zero noise/hiss.  While I don't think it is the best match for the UERM, it is definitely better than using the HPO of an iPhone or Clip+.

 

The Pico Power sounds nice, but it doesn't sound like it will replace the Slim.  Do you think it can do the job?  Will it have a digital volume control?

post #223 of 654
Hi, keep up the good work in giving usefull advise. My audiologist slightly modified my left earpiece. Altough it is already much beter I think it needs just a tad more grinding, so I will do that asap.

The E11 is not realy a match made in heaven for the UERMs, but it does the job for now. The E6 is completly hiss free but the E11 has quite a bit of it. Furthermore there is quite a loud pop when switching the unit on and off. Soundwise it feels a bit muddy but I do not think it is caused by a lack of treble its more of an overall signature. Anny way the E11 will be my temporary fix until I feel comfortable to part with some more money for a higher tier amp. Also the skiing season is starting soon, so I have to watch my cash flow smily_headphones1.gif
post #224 of 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post

I find the Pico Slim to be a very nice amp in many ways and I have to agree that it has the best volume control for IEMs and zero noise/hiss.  While I don't think it is the best match for the UERM, it is definitely better than using the HPO of an iPhone or Clip+.

The Pico Power sounds nice, but it doesn't sound like it will replace the Slim.  Do you think it can do the job?  Will it have a digital volume control?

Power can't replace the form of the Slim and does not have a digital volume control (actually controls the gain of the Slim). But, it did have a very nice, linear but not dry sound without "crispy edge" or sounding "dark". Weight seemed very balanced. I will miss the size of Slim, but the tone and power will be pluses and Justin said that because of the lowest gain of 1 in addition to his hand-selecting pots for the production units...it should be very nice. I'll report back when I have mine for the channel balance, but that is usually not my top priority (mini^3 not the best in this regard).
Reply
post #225 of 654
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post


Power can't replace the form of the Slim and does not have a digital volume control (actually controls the gain of the Slim). But, it did have a very nice, linear but not dry sound without "crispy edge" or sounding "dark". Weight seemed very balanced. I will miss the size of Slim, but the tone and power will be pluses and Justin said that because of the lowest gain of 1 in addition to his hand-selecting pots for the production units...it should be very nice. I'll report back when I have mine for the channel balance, but that is usually not my top priority (mini^3 not the best in this regard).

 

Thanks, I am looking forward to your impressions.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review