now that I have the custom cables on it, my UERM is a little more of a songbird and less neutral. for some that would be a negative, but since I mostly use it with my hifiman DAP while walking, I find it a good match. I still haven't been able to plug it into either of my tube amps, since one has a blown fuse and I haven't gotten around to opening it up, and the other needs tube updates and I'm casting a wide web for appropriate replacements... alas, it's USB DAC-amps or DAPs only for now...
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Universal similar to the Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor? Last post on 5/18/12 at 11:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ultimate Ears + Astell & Kern Ultimate Bundle Deal Last post on Yesterday at 10:17 am in Sponsor Announcements and Deals
- Custom IEM advice Last post on 11/1/12 at 9:37am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 12/29/13 at 11:22pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom IEM Review: Heir Audio 8.A – Long live the king Last post on 1/2/13 at 9:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/10/14
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
i never usually write reviews, but when i do, its usually with underrated earphones/headphones, because i think they do deserve some justice. just a background, i owned headphones/earphones...
Rather than go into the esoteric aspects of the sound signature (not really sure if all the nomenclature actually means the same thing to everyone) I'm going to approach this review from a little...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review - Page 10
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #137 of 5744/22/12 at 7:11pmpost #138 of 5744/22/12 at 7:36pmpost #139 of 5744/24/12 at 5:44pmQuote:
will do, have high hopes for that mini-meet ;-)
as for the cabling - yes, worth a try if you haven't yet, I like what a little silver does to the signature, but I may switch it back to the 11pro...post #140 of 5744/25/12 at 3:48pmpost #141 of 5744/25/12 at 4:16pm
Registered to say that I recently acquired a pair of UERMs, and that they're far and away the best headphones I've ever used. Now, I'm not a crazy person who spends thousands of dollars on pre-amps and magical cables, but these were absolutely worth the money. They are really well-balanced across the spectrum - the highs, mediums, and lows all sound wonderful. I've had them for about two months now, and would say I've logged at least 100 hours with them, listening to everything from Bobby Womack to Bjork, and everything has impressed me greatly.
If you're a semi-audiophile who was wondering if these are worth treating yourself, I believe that they are. And nobody seems to be bragging about their artwork - here's mine:
A question for IEM owners - do you guys purchase 3rd party extended warranties for these puppies? I did, because I didn't trust that a one-year warranty from UE was a safe bet on a $1,000+ piece of hardware.post #142 of 5744/25/12 at 7:26pm
Ha! Thanks, I wouldn't mind borrowing one. Having a unit that doesn't need anything strapped/glued to it would be pretty cool.
Also, I have read an opinion from Currawong that it is a great player with a desktop quality DAC. So that is interesting!
One thing that I would want to know before trying is if it is on the "warm" side though. With the RM I wouldn't mind a <leetle> extra bass at times but still flat and "connected/extended" across the rest of the range!
@ uncleezno- GREAT idea with the Radiohead graphic...with the milky-opaque shells that is one of the few designs that I (instantly) would like to have!post #143 of 5744/25/12 at 7:30pm
^ I've been thinking about the DX100 myself, but I was watching a review of it where the person was playing with it, and while the UI seems good, the touch screen's responsiveness seemed a bit sluggish, which is a bit of a concern for me.post #144 of 5744/25/12 at 7:45pmpost #145 of 5744/25/12 at 7:46pmQuote:
It used to be warmish but the firmware update that was just released today has made it sounds even more on the side of neutral and transparency.Quote:
The sluggishness is gone after the update as well.
Not that I am trying to promote the DX100 here but I wanted to know if it will pair well with the UERM. Would have a pair of UERM myself by now had I not used that moolah to buy myself a DX100 a while ago >_<post #146 of 5744/25/12 at 7:46pmpost #147 of 5744/25/12 at 7:48pm
^Also read that the UI was the "weakest link". I would like to have had a more "robust" experience of durability in my D12 as well.
Had to replace charging switch + send back to replace optical input jack + now waiting on a replacement headphone jack (but I probably caused that by using the Grado 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter during naps ).post #148 of 5744/25/12 at 7:49pmpost #149 of 5744/25/12 at 8:00pmQuote:
I will be quite interested to hear your impression on the DX100 on the ES5 and the UERM.
I hope that the guy's DX100 will have its firmware updated by then.
You can bring along a micro sd card with your test tracks preloaded in it.post #150 of 5744/25/12 at 8:52pmQuote:
I always have my test tracks on my phone's uSDHC as it's my main portable source and I have about 200GB worth of micro SD cards in my wallet. 192GB to be exact.
Been to a few rodeos in my day.
Edited by Anaxilus - 4/25/12 at 8:54pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › TTPOD T1-E Appreciation thread....? 18 seconds ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 24 seconds ago
- › Recommendations for an end-game system. 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX50 with 64GB Sandisk microSDXC UHS-1 1 minute ago
- › From Table to Able: Combating Disabling Diseases with Food 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 4 minutes ago
- › IC: Winnipeg meet? 4 minutes ago
- › "Colouration" of a DAP's sound - How does it work? 7 minutes ago
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by emanlee
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by shockdoc
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)