Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsored Threads and Group Buys › Group Buys › Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy - Page 43

post #631 of 873

Can anyone who's received their set of thunderpants tell me how they were shipped?  I haven't heard from Gary since he said mine were ready to ship last week.  I'm guessing president's day slowed things down a bit, but I haven't received them yet.  I hope he sent them with a signature requirement.

post #632 of 873

I think he uses USPS.

post #633 of 873

Much lighter than 4 lbs.

Mine are made from katalox, one of the densest woods with a SG of .93 (you can look up your wood here http://www.wood-database.com/wood-identification/)

Mine weigh 18 oz with LCD-2 pads. The AH-D7000 weighs 12.8 oz for comparison.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojaku View Post

Dang. The TPs must be like 4 lbs or so then?
Kojaku


 


Edited by sbradley02 - 2/22/12 at 3:41pm
post #634 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post


(you can look up your wood here http://www.wood-database.com/wood-identification/)
 

463
post #635 of 873

Thanks for the laugh. ^

 

-M

post #636 of 873

I just love that image. ^^^  Came across that when I was picking my wood choice and it gave me laughing fits for days.  tongue.gif

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post

Much lighter than 4 lbs.

Mine are made from katalox, one of the densest woods with a SG of .93 (you can look up your wood here http://www.wood-database.com/wood-identification/)

Mine weigh 18 oz with LCD-2 pads. The AH-D7000 weighs 12.8 oz for comparison.

 

Hey sbradley02, just out of curiosity, how'd you weigh your TP1s?  Mine are somewhat heavy as well, being wenge cups which are also rather heavy according to Gary, but I've not weighed mine as I don't have a scale I could use.  I guess I could take them to a Kinko's or somesuch now that I think about it.


Edited by dmcs414 - 2/23/12 at 9:14am
post #637 of 873

I love the image too :-)


Basically I took the plunge and just bought a postal scale. I send enough packages out that it was a reasonable investment at $40. The exact weight was 18.25 oz which does not include the cable which is standard. The Denon figure was from their website. I imagine that there will be variations based on which cup design Gary has used, wood used, pads, etc. but I would imagine that using katalox mine would be on the heavy side. I specifically requested a very hard, dense wood when I made my initial order. There are only a few denser woods. Kingwood looks interesting as an example.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcs414 View Post

I just love that image. ^^^  Came across that when I was picking my wood choice and it gave me laughing fits for days.  tongue.gif

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post

Much lighter than 4 lbs.

Mine are made from katalox, one of the densest woods with a SG of .93 (you can look up your wood here http://www.wood-database.com/wood-identification/)

Mine weigh 18 oz with LCD-2 pads. The AH-D7000 weighs 12.8 oz for comparison.

 

Hey sbradley02, just out of curiosity, how'd you weigh your TP1s?  Mine are somewhat heavy as well, being wenge cups which are also rather heavy according to Gary, but I've not weighed mine as I don't have a scale I could use.  I guess I could take them to a Kinko's or somesuch now that I think about it.



 

post #638 of 873

So it's been quiet on this front lately... any new deliveries?  Do we have a count on how many delivered at this point, 3 or 4 yeah?

post #639 of 873

Mine just arrived a few minutes ago.  I'm listening to them as I type this.  I'll update with pictures in a little bit when I take them off...

post #640 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Than View Post

Mine just arrived a few minutes ago.  I'm listening to them as I type this.  I'll update with pictures in a little bit when I take them off...



What wood did you order? And what pads did you roll :)?

 

Kojaku

post #641 of 873

Bloodwood, stock pads (boring, I know, but I didn't want to drop all that money at once...)

1/8th inch plug  (Here's my biggest complaint...)

 

DSCN0395.JPGDSCN0404.JPGDSCN0405.JPGDSCN0406.JPGDSCN0402.JPG

 

 

Sorry for the poor photo quality.  Here are some of my initial thoughts:

 

  • Fresh out of the box:  Strong smell of glue, there is some glue visible on the inside of the headphone, as can be seen above.  Speaking of the inside, isn't this usually also wood on the Thunderpants?  It looks like plastic on mine, did we agree on this for the group buy?  I can't remember, and if it's like this on all sets, I don't know, I guess I'm fabricating memories...
  • First inspection of the headphones, the wood overall, looks very nice, much better than I could capture in the photos.  There are a few visible faults in the wood itself, most very subtle, but most notable is a dark spot towards the rear of the left cup (shown above), which also has a slight indentation in the surface, but this is still very minor.
  • I'm not sure what the parts connecting the cups to the copper rods are on mine, obviously not bloodwood, but the left one looks like it might have been in two parts at one point, this too however, is fairly subtle.
  • The leather strap added to the headband is amusingly, and very obviously, taken from a belt, but it gets the job done.
  • The cable:  I'm not a huge fan of this stuff he has covering the cable, I don't know how others feel about it though; it seems stiff and I think I'm pretty neutral on how it looks compared to a plain cable.
  • The one problem that's actually worth mentioning is the headphone plug.  I ordered an 1/8th inch plug so that my pair could be used as a nice set of transportable cans, and to that end, they seem to work well.  I've been moving around the house with them this afternoon as I listened, and they fit securely and comfortably on my head.  Based on what some people have said, I almost expected neck strain from the weight of the thunderpants, but they're really not very heavy in my opinion.  Anyway, you can kind of see in one of the pictures, the connection of the plug to the cable isn't very secure, there's a segment of heatshrink a little bit above jack, the part that meets the covering, that's hacked up a bit, no clue why this might be...  After that there's a tiny bit of plain cable showing, followed by another section of heatshrink that goes into the plug a very short way.  If the cable bends at the plug slightly in any direction bare copper wire is visible.  This happens easily because of the weight of the cable.  However, the connections seem to be alright, and this can all hopefully be fixed with some hot glue and heatshrink...

 

So anyway, that's my nitpicking on the physical appearance.  Really, overall, they're nice looking, though obviously a DIY venture rather than a mass produced product.

 

The sound:  I like the sound of them so far.  A lot actually.  They don't seem to add too much character of their own into the sound.

My playlist thus far has been:

 

Can - Tago Mago  (40th Anniversary)

Steve Reich - Kronos Quartet - Different Trains

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic  (Currently Listening, this is one of my reference albums for gear.)

 

So far, very happy with their performance, and at some point I might do a comparison with my STAX 2050 II system, which I consider one of the best values for this price range (I bought it several years ago for around $400-430 in Japan, can't remember the exact price...)  Based on what I've heard so far, the edge in detail probably goes to the STAX, but the thunderpants seem to be taking everything I throw at them very nicely.

 

I've been running them from an ipod 5g video into a Leckerton UHA-4, which will be their companion until the ODA becomes available.  The Leckerton seems to have plenty of power for the task, I thought I'd have to switch it to high gain, but I haven't.  That's it for now, I've probably forgotten some things, but now there is beer to be brewed...

post #642 of 873

I ordered a 1/8-inch termination...I hope mine doesn't have this problem...

 

Also, I think the inner part that you're thinking is plastic is actually the back section of the stock fostex pads.

 

Although I could be wrong, and I sorely hope I'm not wrong.

 

..I really hope that the group buy and the huge amount of work haven't resulted in a reduction in quality, but I trust Smeggy.

 

Kojaku

 

 

post #643 of 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Than View Post

  • Fresh out of the box:  Strong smell of glue, there is some glue visible on the inside of the headphone, as can be seen above.  Speaking of the inside, isn't this usually also wood on the Thunderpants?  It looks like plastic on mine, did we agree on this for the group buy?  I can't remember, and if it's like this on all sets, I don't know, I guess I'm fabricating memories...


Can anyone confirm these plastic baffles? I really didn't expect those at all..Someone who's received theirs recently wanna chime in? I always thought that the baffles were supposed to be wood...

 

Kojaku

 

post #644 of 873

No, it's not part of the pad, it's the baffle, there's glue holding it to the structure of the headphone.  I doubt it makes much, if any, of a difference in the sound of the headphones, but it's an understandable concern.  The plug on mine is actually an annoyance, but I think just putting some hot glue in there to reinforce it and heatshrinking around it should resolve the issue.  Going to spend a few more days with them and see how they do.

 

Edit:  Frank Zappa.  Hot Rats.  This is where it's at.  I'm impressed...


Edited by Than - 2/28/12 at 1:01am
post #645 of 873

Yes, those baffles are plexiglass.

 

I haven't used plain wood in a long time as it's prone to split, I've been using high grade ply because it's very stable and strong. I wanted to use plexiglass because of it's industrial strength but the stuff is a real pain to work with so only a few sets have it, even though I think it's one of the best baffle material.The glue squeeze out is normal, I take the Grado approach of using excess to ensure a proper seal, it does smell for quite some time as a full cure can take weeks.

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Group Buys
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsored Threads and Group Buys › Group Buys › Thunderpants (T50RP mod) Group Buy